Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chris King R45 hubs

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chris King R45 hubs

Old 12-03-15, 09:53 AM
  #1  
CNC2204
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris King R45 hubs

https://www.thewashingmachinepost.net...ub_cutaway.jpg


Tell me the good, the bad & the ugly ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rear_hub_cutaway.jpg (40.0 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by CNC2204; 12-03-15 at 10:00 AM.
CNC2204 is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 10:00 AM
  #2  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,886
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by CNC2204 View Post
Tell me the good, the bad & the ugly ...
R45 hubs are not as loud as the classic CK hubs
noodle soup is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 10:46 AM
  #3  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6554 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Great hub but stupid expensive. I would rather buy several Bike Hub Store hubs. I won't notice any difference in my riding or maintenance. What about you?
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:06 AM
  #4  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Cons: Expensive, Crazy loud.

Pros: Expensive, Crazy loud.

They are nice hubs, but seem to be more about the bling factor, and the noise is an acquired taste, though I do kind of like it.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:13 AM
  #5  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,886
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
Cons: Expensive, Crazy loud.

Pros: Expensive, Crazy loud.

They are nice hubs, but seem to be more about the bling factor, and the noise is an acquired taste, though I do kind of like it.
King R45 hubs are not loud at all. I own a pair mounted to ENVE hoops, and the are much quieter than my other wheelsets.

CK Classic hubs are LOUD!!!
noodle soup is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:14 AM
  #6  
MrCharlie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two sets and love them. But, they are kind of high maintenance. First, the bearing preload on the rear isn't exactly set-and-forget. King recommends adjusting it after the first ride, but I have found that this really need to be done after each of the first five or so rides. Its not hard to do, but if you are uncomfortable doing any wrenching, then this could be an issue. Second, King recommends servicing the bearings every year or so. This requires a special tool and is something of an involved task. Again, not difficult, but way over the head of someone who only does minimal wrenching.
MrCharlie is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:14 AM
  #7  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,700
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 29 Posts
Maintenance for these hubs is expensive, and necessary if you don't want to eventually destroy them (ask me how I know!!).
grolby is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:18 AM
  #8  
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N
 
dtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stafford, OR
Posts: 4,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's not an r45 in the pic you posted.
__________________
"The older you do get, the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin', man, L-I-V-I-N." - Wooderson

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
dtrain is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:19 AM
  #9  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,328

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
Cons: Expensive, Crazy loud.

Pros: Expensive, Crazy loud.

They are nice hubs, but seem to be more about the bling factor, and the noise is an acquired taste, though I do kind of like it.
The R45s are not loud at all. Bit of wasp buzz...but nowhere near the same league as King Classic or Campag hubs.

Originally Posted by MrCharlie View Post
I have two sets and love them. But, they are kind of high maintenance. First, the bearing preload on the rear isn't exactly set-and-forget. King recommends adjusting it after the first ride, but I have found that this really need to be done after each of the first five or so rides. Its not hard to do, but if you are uncomfortable doing any wrenching, then this could be an issue. Second, King recommends servicing the bearings every year or so. This requires a special tool and is something of an involved task. Again, not difficult, but way over the head of someone who only does minimal wrenching.

You follow the Campagnolo Service docs you'll be rebuilding and servicing all your transmission parts (and Campag/Fulcrum wheels) every 3000km.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:24 AM
  #10  
ARPRINCE
Senior Member
 
ARPRINCE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 38° 53' 51.635" N 77° 2' 11.507" W
Posts: 828

Bikes: Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Very sleek hubs (imo) and loud like a bee sound (which I like). Be careful with colored ones. If you are are getting one from a wheel builder, make sure you specify that they come from the same lot for the anodized color. Sometimes, the color does not exactly match (ex. blue the other is more like violet blue). Found this out the hard way.
ARPRINCE is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:27 AM
  #11  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,700
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
You follow the Campagnolo Service docs you'll be rebuilding and servicing all your transmission parts (and Campag/Fulcrum wheels) every 3000km.
I don't know about Campy, but if you disregard the servicing intervals for the R45 rear hub, you WILL eventually ruin it. It's not something you can just ignore and expect everything to be fine.
grolby is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:35 AM
  #12  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,328

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
I don't know about Campy, but if you disregard the servicing intervals for the R45 rear hub, you WILL eventually ruin it. It's not something you can just ignore and expect everything to be fine.
True OTOH, same goes with most everything out there in ignoring maintenance.

My point was simply that just because a PDF says to tear something apart on a yearly basis and rebuild doesn't necessarily mean that IRL you're simply giving yourself busywork for something that doesn't necessarily need done so frequently. You change that flat tire, you feel the bearing and the load on it and odds are you're going to say "gee my hub is still good" most of the time.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:38 AM
  #13  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,886
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
if you disregard the servicing intervals for the R45 rear hub, you WILL eventually ruin it. It's not something you can just ignore and expect everything to be fine.
my car is the same way.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 01:36 PM
  #14  
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 6,681

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
any kind of hub, headset, or BB that requires any maintenance before i'm dead and gone is something i'm not interested in owning.

i've managed to get by with zero upkeep on a number of hubs that i've owned over the years, some of them going on 25 years and 10's of thousands of miles, BBs and headsets too for that matter. American Classic front hub, shimano un-xx BB, and an American Classic Tri-Lock headset. so i know that they are out there.
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 01:52 PM
  #15  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6554 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
I could see if CK advised checking the hubs for smooth running every so often, but stating the overhaul as a necessity is just BS. How, pray tell, are bad bearing going to destroy a hubset unless we are talking about a cup and cone, loose-bearing system. Oh, wait a minute, that isn't what we have here, is it? If so, run, do not walk, away as fast as you can.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 02:05 PM
  #16  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,886
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
I could see if CK advised checking the hubs for smooth running every so often, but stating the overhaul as a necessity is just BS. How, pray tell, are bad bearing going to destroy a hubset unless we are talking about a cup and cone, loose-bearing system. Oh, wait a minute, that isn't what we have here, is it? If so, run, do not walk, away as fast as you can.
Rear Hub Maintenance schedule
Chris King R45 and R45 Disc Hubs are designed to provide long life and high performance.Beyond an occasional adjustment, the only maintenance necessary is cleaning and lubricatingthe RingDrive (see “The RingDrive”, pg. 8), and re-lubricating the bearings (see “Service ofthe bearings”, pg. 10). Riding conditions will determine how often to service your hubs. As abeginning guideline, your hubs should be serviced every 6-12 months in normal anddry conditions and every 3 months in wet or muddy conditions
noodle soup is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 02:14 PM
  #17  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like mine. *shrug*
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 02:33 PM
  #18  
spdracr39
Senior Member
 
spdracr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Posts: 1,538

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good: Cool
Bad: Expensive
spdracr39 is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 02:39 PM
  #19  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,700
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
I could see if CK advised checking the hubs for smooth running every so often, but stating the overhaul as a necessity is just BS. How, pray tell, are bad bearing going to destroy a hubset unless we are talking about a cup and cone, loose-bearing system. Oh, wait a minute, that isn't what we have here, is it? If so, run, do not walk, away as fast as you can.
Okay. My personal experience, and the experience of bike shop people I know, is that inattention to regular maintenance with R45 hubs will lead to pitting and deformation of the internals, and can do so in surprisingly short order. By all means, tell us about how impossible it is for bad bearings to ruin a hub. It's a fact that it can and does with these hubs. I suspect that weather is relevant - if you don't ride in the rain with them, maybe you can get away with just checking the bearings every so often. Personally I do ride in the rain when necessary, and I found the durability to be disappointing compared to your bog-standard Shimano 105 cup and cone. It's a shame, because they're beautiful and lightweight hubs. I don't have anything to say on what is or isn't possible in theory. I don't have a bone to pick with Chris King. I'm stating the facts: I did not change the bearings according to schedule and when I did get around to it the new ones no longer fit properly and the hub didn't function well.
grolby is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 02:41 PM
  #20  
rmfnla
Senior Member
 
rmfnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: La La Land (We love it!)
Posts: 6,301

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain View Post
That's not an r45 in the pic you posted.
And it has a big hole in it...
__________________
Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...
rmfnla is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 02:48 PM
  #21  
RoderWrench
Senior Member
 
RoderWrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 280

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last edited by RoderWrench; 12-03-15 at 02:48 PM. Reason: too late
RoderWrench is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 03:04 PM
  #22  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6554 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby View Post
Okay. My personal experience, and the experience of bike shop people I know, is that inattention to regular maintenance with R45 hubs will lead to pitting and deformation of the internals, and can do so in surprisingly short order. By all means, tell us about how impossible it is for bad bearings to ruin a hub. It's a fact that it can and does with these hubs. I suspect that weather is relevant - if you don't ride in the rain with them, maybe you can get away with just checking the bearings every so often. Personally I do ride in the rain when necessary, and I found the durability to be disappointing compared to your bog-standard Shimano 105 cup and cone. It's a shame, because they're beautiful and lightweight hubs. I don't have anything to say on what is or isn't possible in theory. I don't have a bone to pick with Chris King. I'm stating the facts: I did not change the bearings according to schedule and when I did get around to it the new ones no longer fit properly and the hub didn't function well.
Please tell us what kind of bearings we are talking about. Sealed cartridges or cup and cone? As I said cups and cones can be ruined by moisture or wear or bad balls. And the cups are integral parts of the hub shell. So damaging them is very serious, agreed. The cones can be replaced, but they are likely to be costly. But cartridges are just tossed out and replaced for almost no money, and they can't hurt the rest of the structure. Further I said to avoid cup and cone structures at all cost. It just isn't worth the aggravation. These days, sealed bearing cartridges are the only sensible way to go.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 12-03-15 at 03:09 PM.
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 03:10 PM
  #23  
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 6,681

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
I like mine. *shrug*
nice to see proportional, simple and clear statement of indisputable fact.
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 03:17 PM
  #24  
grolby
Senior Member
 
grolby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BOSTON BABY
Posts: 9,700
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
But cartridges are just replaced, so they can't hurt the rest of the structure.
That's demonstrably untrue. I have a $400 chunk of near-useless CNC'd aluminum sitting in my basement that says you're wrong. I just replaced a sealed bearing headset this year because the lower bearing race got brinelled or otherwise deformed, and the replacement bearing cartridge went bad less than 5k miles after replacing it.

As I said, I think this is likely weather-related, from penetration of sand into the races. Maybe most people won't ride these in rain often enough for it to be a problem, though I don't think I do that much rain riding. All I'm saying is, if you think it's impossible to damage the bearing races of a hub that uses cartridges, well, I've got a rear wheel I can give you a really good price on, if you want.
grolby is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 03:25 PM
  #25  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6554 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
Please tell us what kind of bearings we are talking about. Sealed cartridges or cup and cone? As I said cups and cones can be ruined by moisture or wear or bad balls. And the cups are integral parts of the hub shell. So damaging them is very serious, agreed. The cones can be replaced, but they are likely to be costly. But cartridges are just tossed out and replaced for almost no money, and they can't hurt the rest of the structure. Further I said to avoid cup and cone structures at all cost. It just isn't worth the aggravation. These days, sealed bearing cartridges are the only sensible way to go.
I just looked it up. Talk about over-engineered! There is so much unnecessary crap inside the rear hub besides the sealed cartridges, even on the NDS, no wonder you have to work on it so often. Total BS. Self-fulfilling prophecy. CK does it again.

Give me a simple Taiwanese hub set with sealed cartridges and little else. My wheels roll fine and never need any hub maintenance. And if I wanted them, there are plenty of colors available. Why would I do anything else?
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.