Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

is this place dying

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

is this place dying

Old 06-23-16, 10:42 AM
  #101  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
It a "me" world we live in now. For some reason, being ordinary is not acceptable anymore either.
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
why be ordinary if you can 'photoshop' your life on social media and create a more flattering virtual life?
I always get a kick out of the idea that suddenly in the last 20 or so years it became a "me" society as if self-centered people had never previously existed. The only thing that has changed is the amplification factor of social media. While many a person uses it to be self centered attention seekers (and the platform certainly does lend itself to that), they would have been self centered attention seekers without it. They have existed since the beginning of mankind. I think the early days of the internet as well as forums like this one show that the internet (or social media) can be used for sharing rather than drawing attention to one's self. It comes down to the individual personality, and can not be pinned down to a generation as so many people are quick to do.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 10:45 AM
  #102  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,758
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 500 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
I always get a kick out of the idea that suddenly in the last 20 or so years it became a "me" society as if self-centered people had never previously existed. The only thing that has changed is the amplification factor of social media. While many a person uses it to be self centered attention seekers (and the platform certainly does lend itself to that), they would have been self centered attention seekers without it. They have existed since the beginning of mankind. I think the early days of the internet as well as forums like this one show that the internet (or social media) can be used for sharing rather than drawing attention to one's self. It comes down to the individual personality, and can not be pinned down to a generation as so many people are quick to do.
You are exactly right. I should have stated that social media brought that front and center.
seypat is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 10:58 AM
  #103  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,295

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
I think forums are a different thing substantially from social media sites like FB.

FB is more of general population, it's all kinds of your friends only some them are interested in bikes and few have really in-depth knowledge of any sub-category of cycling, or equipment, or the technical aspects of training. FB is where I go with the big picture stuff, like mentioning a goal or posting a race result. Also a great place to set up rides.

Forums are typically populated by people with a really in-depth knowledge of a subject. For example, I need some parts milled for my aerobars on my TT bike. My husband was trying to figure out total cost to compare that to what a machinist would charge us. So he found a vertical mill forum (really!) and learned what was the least-expensive vertical mill we could buy to do what we needed to do and what other equipment was necessary. That forum is invaluable for that kind of information. Made it easy to compare the cost of buying our own mill to hiring a machinist. In two days, we were able to make a well-informed decision.

So I guess I see forums as here to stay because for people who really get into the minutia of a subject, a forum seems to be a far better outlet for discussion than most social media sites. Maybe a lot of the more social types get siphoned off to FB, and maybe Matchka has some ideas for retaining them.

The biggest thing that's tedious about the BF culture is the level of the conversation- mostly it seems to me that people cannot see beyond themselves and respect what the other guy is doing on a bike. So you get an older guy waxing nostalgic about steel bikes who can't recognize that despite all the benefits of a steel bike, a carbon bike which is 4 pounds lighter might indeed be a better choice for a 25 year old kid training for a hill climbing race. I could go on ad-nausem with examples, but this kind of thing is hugely prevalent here on BF. No idea how to change it, and once you've been here long enough you start to know who to listen to. But I'm sure for newbies it can be a complete turn-off, getting widely conflicting advice & no way to sort through it.

Some areas of BF are amazingly supportive places- Clydesdale forum because everyone is trying to accomplish the same difficult thing (losing weight). And the racing forums, because you know there's a chance you're going to meet some of those posters IRL. But the road forum- whew, the level of conversation is often petty and rude (and sadly ill-informed). I think that could be fixed by knowledgable posters recognizing each other. "As RoadForumPoster pointed out up thread, aero wheels will make you faster but they are more susceptible to handling issues in crosswinds. So if you're not riding competitively, the speed benefit may not outweigh the handling penalty. You mentioned you ride in a lot of canyon winds, and aero wheels can be nerve-racking in those conditions. Quite honestly, you might find non-aero wheels more enjoyable to ride. Listen to RoadForumPoster, she knows what she's talking about."

I hope BF doesn't die. I've met tons of great people here, some of my favorite people in life actually. I'll be sad if it dies.
Very good post, Heathpack, and you've hit on a lot of good points, I think.

I definitely agree with you regarding acknowledging good, thoughtful posters-- something I've always tried to do-- because it sets a tone for the culture of the forums. We've been gutting education in the USA for years, so the generally low level of discussion is no surprise, and makes the kind of reinforcement you're talking about essential. The Admins and Mods have to be on board and support that, too, though; I often wonder if they don't think of their role as more "creator" than "shepherd," a perspective which isn't necessarily anathema to nurturing a vibrant, dynamic culture, but does make it more difficult.

In all, it's no doubt a difficult balancing act to accept and suffer all the different perspectives, and every pathway presents many possible outcomes. I've seen forums moderate themselves into irrelevance, forums languish in benign neglect, and forums implode from the users eating themselves alive. I've seen a forum spring up from a conflict within another and almost immediately eclipse the old one in traffic and activity. You can't script an exact outcome, only set the conditions most likely to foment growth.

Ultimately, the quality of the forums gets down to the quality of the users.
chaadster is online now  
Old 06-23-16, 11:15 AM
  #104  
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,253

Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5682 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 79 Posts
From the moment this forum was created, it was always fated to slowly fade into nothingness. Like all earthly things, and all of our lives. This is a temporary and meaningless stage for the particles that make up the servers that run this site, as they chart their inevitable path to entropy.
Dan333SP is online now  
Old 06-23-16, 11:23 AM
  #105  
Doug28450
Senior Member
 
Doug28450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 7,108

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP View Post
From the moment this forum was created, it was always fated to slowly fade into nothingness. Like all earthly things, and all of our lives. This is a temporary and meaningless stage for the particles that make up the servers that run this site, as they chart their inevitable path to entropy.
Well, that's encouraging.

Change your screen name to Mr. Doom.
Doug28450 is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 11:27 AM
  #106  
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,253

Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5682 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug28450 View Post
Well, that's encouraging.

Change your screen name to Mr. Doom.
Nihilist28450 was taken
Dan333SP is online now  
Old 06-23-16, 12:04 PM
  #107  
mercator
In the wind
 
mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 1,313

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 40 Posts
Although I have enjoyed the yelling/waving/assploding crabon/400watts/best chain lube threads, I mostly just come here for the photo threads now.
mercator is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 12:28 PM
  #108  
BillyD
Administrator
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 29,146

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 306 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8844 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug28450 View Post
Well, that's encouraging.

Change your screen name to Mr. Doom.
Or Mr. Sunshine.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 12:35 PM
  #109  
Doug28450
Senior Member
 
Doug28450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 7,108

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Or Mr. Sunshine.
You have the power.
Doug28450 is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 04:31 PM
  #110  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 13,239

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 494 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP View Post
From the moment this forum was created, it was always fated to slowly fade into nothingness. Like all earthly things, and all of our lives. This is a temporary and meaningless stage for the particles that make up the servers that run this site, as they chart their inevitable path to entropy.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 04:49 PM
  #111  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,572
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratzinger View Post
I imagine there will be an ongoing use base here for quite some time, but I think that a board like this does not have much to it that will attract newer, younger users. Young people are already on the other website whose name is censored, and they'll just migrate to the sub there for bicycling, fixed-gear, vintage etc...
Why don't you enlighten the masses here and tell us what other website you are referring to?


FWIW this is the best cycling website on the web...not because of its software used, but rather in spite of it.
As to not attracting future newcomers...complete baloney. Cycling will only grow in popularity over time in American in particular and this site will continue to have a staunch following and grow its base of young riders as they learn about the sport.
Campag4life is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 04:52 PM
  #112  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Why don't you enlighten the masses here and tell us what other website you are referring to?


FWIW this is the best cycling website on the web...not because of its software used, but rather in spite of it.
As to not attracting future newcomers...complete baloney. Cycling will only grow in popularity over time in American in particular and this site will continue to have a staunch following and grow its base of young riders and they learn about the sport.
Rhymes with Fred-It.

Sidenote, keep in mind that most people use a phone or a tablet for social media these days. While the forum will work on one of those, it's not as easy as other modes of socializing.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 04:57 PM
  #113  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,572
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
Rhymes with Fred-It.

Sidenote, keep in mind that most people use a phone or a tablet for social media these days. While the forum will work on one of those, it's not as easy as other modes of socializing.
Believe you will have to spell it out. No idea what site you are referring to. Only sites that rival Bikeforums are RBR and WW and the latter site is filled with gram obsessed nitwits...lol.


Your further point of what device is used to communicate on the web is also lost on me. What difference does it make if you use a phone, tablet or PC to post? I have used all three and no difference other than I can fly on a full size keyboard.
Campag4life is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 05:06 PM
  #114  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Believe you will have to spell it out. No idea what site you are referring to. Only sites that rival Bikeforums are RBR and WW and the latter site is filled with gram obsessed nitwits...lol.


Your further point of what device is used to communicate on the web is also lost on me. What difference does it make if you use a phone, tablet or PC to post?
Remove the F and the hyphen from fred-dit.

The second point really wasn't directed at you, just an "in general" comment.

For me, I setup all of my message boards to subscribe to any post I post in. I then use my User CP to view my subscribed threads (and also my subscribed boards) - kind of a quick scan of everything that I'm interested in. I usually open every thread in a new and work my way through all the posts. Tabs aren't really conducive to phone browsing, so there's a lot of using the back button. So that's a pet peeve of mine.

It's also rather difficult to zoom in on a post, click the buttons or links, etc on the smaller phone. It's far easier to browse Facebook, Instagram, or even that "other site" on a phone. I'm quickly moving and clicking with a thumb...it's just not the same with the board, to the point that I hardly even browse it from a phone.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 05:08 PM
  #115  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,328

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16509 Post(s)
Liked 5,210 Times in 2,718 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
Believe you will have to spell it out.
I'll spell it out for you - it's ******.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 06-23-16, 05:19 PM
  #116  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,572
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
Remove the F and the hyphen from fred-dit.

The second point really wasn't directed at you, just an "in general" comment.

For me, I setup all of my message boards to subscribe to any post I post in. I then use my User CP to view my subscribed threads (and also my subscribed boards) - kind of a quick scan of everything that I'm interested in. I usually open every thread in a new and work my way through all the posts. Tabs aren't really conducive to phone browsing, so there's a lot of using the back button. So that's a pet peeve of mine.

It's also rather difficult to zoom in on a post, click the buttons or links, etc on the smaller phone. It's far easier to browse Facebook, Instagram, or even that "other site" on a phone. I'm quickly moving and clicking with a thumb...it's just not the same with the board, to the point that I hardly even browse it from a phone.
what relevance does fred-dit have to cycling?...lol.
Anybody on that site ride a bicycle?
Campag4life is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 05:20 PM
  #117  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,572
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I'll spell it out for you - it's ******.
good one WhyFi...hilarious and well played.
Campag4life is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 05:22 PM
  #118  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,128

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 284 Posts
Lighten up Francis...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OnpkDWbeJs
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 05:27 PM
  #119  
Cyclist75354986865
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Southeast
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like this site quite a bit. The only issue I have is too many sub-forums. It's like everyone has to have their own little space to make their post. I wish it was a little more consolidated, I may be missing out on great content but just take the time to plunder every sub-forum.
Cyclist75354986865 is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 05:29 PM
  #120  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,572
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
Johnny...are you still here?
Campag4life is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 06:03 PM
  #121  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 17,038

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6545 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
It a "me" world we live in now. For some reason, being ordinary is not acceptable anymore either.
A charge first leveled at the Boomers. Little sick of all the crap being slung at the young folks.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 06:24 PM
  #122  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
what relevance does fred-dit have to cycling?...lol.
Anybody on that site ride a bicycle?
Have you ever been on the site? It has a message board for everything.

r/cycling
r/bicycling
r/bikewrench
r/bikeporn
r/biketouring

If there's a subforum for it here, there's one on that site, plus 40 others you couldn't even think of.
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 07:09 PM
  #123  
SundayNiagara
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
This is the thing I can't figure out. This place was so exciting and so much fun back in '05, '06 and even '07. People came here to have fun, not to engage in arguments and not to prove they know more about cycling than everybody else.

WTF is wrong with so many people's self-esteem that they have to flock to the internet and seek to prove they're smarter than the next guy?

WTF happened to people's lively, jovial attitude is what I don't get? It changed like night and day.
Post of the decade.
SundayNiagara is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 07:11 PM
  #124  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,044

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratzinger View Post
I imagine there will be an ongoing use base here for quite some time, but I think that a board like this does not have much to it that will attract newer, younger users. Young people are already on the other website whose name is censored, and they'll just migrate to the sub there for bicycling, fixed-gear, vintage etc...
Younger people are also making use of other social media ... like Facebook.

I'm not a "younger people" but I know that I get a whole lot more cycling information from Facebook than I do here. I have "Liked" a whole collection of cycling sites and my newsfeed is full of new bicycle reviews, interesting rides to do, what's happening with the TDF, discussions about long distance cycling, etc. etc.
Machka is offline  
Old 06-23-16, 07:14 PM
  #125  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 52,044

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by tjk23 View Post
I like this site quite a bit. The only issue I have is too many sub-forums. It's like everyone has to have their own little space to make their post. I wish it was a little more consolidated, I may be missing out on great content but just take the time to plunder every sub-forum.
I agree ... hence my suggestion about grouping. Which is something that I think the senior mods and IT staff can do.


While they might not be able to convert this forum to the beautiful new modern clean and fresh format which Bicycling Mag has adopted:
https://forums.bicycling.com/forums

... they can move forums around and do some rearranging here. https://www.bikeforums.net/18864298-post65.html
They created the Racers Group ... so why not do the grouping and forum creation I mentioned in a previous post here. Shake things up a bit. Perhaps get different people interacting with each other, and create a different dynamic. Maybe even attract new members.

Last edited by Machka; 06-23-16 at 07:22 PM.
Machka is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.