Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is it worthy to build up an older frameset?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is it worthy to build up an older frameset?

Old 06-25-16, 03:13 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it worthy to build up an older frameset?

Everything in this picture weighs 5kg. Is it wise to build up this frameset? Its a 10-year old size 58 frame made of 7000 aluminium, carbon chainstay and fork. Frame and fork alone weighs 2.5kg. I have a Tiagra groupset and a carbon handlebar with integrated stem(300g) shipping in soon. Build this or sell and buy a Chinarello?
Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:18 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Shuffleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,296

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beerope
Everything in this picture weighs 5kg. Is it wise to build up this frameset? Its a 10-year old size 58 frame made of 7000 aluminium, carbon chainstay and fork. Frame and fork alone weighs 2.5kg. I have a Tiagra groupset and a carbon handlebar with integrated stem(300g) shipping in soon. Build this or sell and buy a Chinarello?
If the bike fits than I would build it out. It's a great frame and has plenty of life left in it.
Shuffleman is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:20 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
If the bike fits than I would build it out. It's a great frame and has plenty of life left in it.
it has a mileage of 0 miles, the shop just couldnt sell it away. However it is 10 years old and I think the carbon fiber chainstay, fork might have degraded. Also, i am not sure if it fits. I am a 6 foot and this is a 55cm seat-tube 58cm top-tube frame, but it is TT geometry.
Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:26 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I doubt it is 55 cm seat tube and 58 cm top tube. Even the Venturi isn't that crazy. That top tube looks very short to me. The top tube isn't much sloped so I don't see the actual seat tube being 55 if the size is supposed to be 58. Nothing makes sense.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 06-25-16 at 03:32 PM.
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:28 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The frame is grossly overweight. My 531 steel frame weighs that with a carbon fork. You are much better off with an unbranded Chinese frame from Deng-fu, Hong-fu, or Workswell.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 06-25-16 at 03:32 PM.
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:30 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I doibt it is 55 cm seat tube and 58 cm top tube. Even the Venturi isn't that crazy. That top tube looks very short to me.
Mine is XL size, check it out.
Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:35 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Is the top tube actually sloped more than the picture appears?
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:40 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Is the top tube actually sloped more than the picture appears?
No. it is parallel to the ground. I am skeptical that it would actually be a good fit for me. I am only 6 foot tall with an 85cm inseam. I bought a handlebar with an integrated 90mm stem. Hopefully it fits.

Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:40 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
And is it the photo or are the wheels two different sizes? Something really seems wrong between the chart and the photo.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:43 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
And is it the photo or are the wheels two different sizes? Something really seems wrong between the chart and the photo.
the wheels are the same size, with the same tyre and inflated to the same psi. perhaps somethign wrong with the frame? here is another picture
Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:46 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Is that the original fork? It looks like a replacement for a smaller wheel. Show me how I'm wrong, but I think that frame is a mish-mash. It isn't supposed to be like that. Fit is the least of your problems.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:46 PM
  #12  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,315

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,215 Times in 4,272 Posts
I thought we had concluded that this won't fit you.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:48 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Is that the original fork? It looks like a replacement for a smaller wheel. Show me how I'm wrong, but I think that frame is a mish-mash. It isn't supposed to be like that. Fit is the least of your problems.
Sorry if I was mistaken about the fork and front wheel. But why isn't the top tube sloped to match the chart? Is that the right chart?
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:48 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I thought we had concluded that this won't fit you.
Yes, there was that, but then i went to cannondale and trek showroom to purchase a bike and both of them told me to get a 58cm frame after inputting my stats. So i gave this a second thought.
Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:49 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Sorry if I was mistaken about the fork and front wheel. But why isn't the top tube sloped to match the chart? Is that the right chart?
the fork is original, i think that diagram applies mostly to smaller sized frames, and the XL sized one has a flat top tube for taller people
Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:51 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
No XL frame has an actual seat tube length of 55 cm AND a level top tube. Unpossible. That chart seems to be for a different frame that has a sloping top tube.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:53 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
No XL frame has an actual seat tube length of 55 cm AND a level top tube. Unpossible. That chart seems to be for a different frame that has a sloping top tube.
I measured it with a tape and indeed, 55cm seat tube and 57cm top tube
Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:57 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Maybe not unpossible due to the crazy angles. You know that is a time trial bike, right?
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 03:59 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,496
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
How many threads do we need about the same bike and same questions?
rms13 is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 04:01 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
How many threads do we need about the same bike and same questions?
That was about fit, this is about weight. Just need more opinion before i do it. Building a bike is a big thing for me and it will be my first attempt and i want to perfect it, just to be sure, before i build it
Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 04:04 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
To get a normal pedaling position you will need a huge setback seatpost. 1 cm more set back for every degree of seat tube angle above 73°. That will increase the top tube virtual length by that amount. Otherwise you will be pedaling way out in front of the bottom bracket.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 04:06 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Beerope
That was about fit, this is about weight. Just need more opinion before i do it. Building a bike is a big thing for me and it will be my first attempt and i want to perfect it, just to be sure, before i build it
I'm sorry but perfect isn't a likely outcome here.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 04:20 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
To get a normal pedaling position you will need a huge setback seatpost. 1 cm more set back for every degree of seat tube angle above 73°. That will increase the top tube virtual length by that amount. Otherwise you will be pedaling way out in front of the bottom bracket.
Is it faster to peddle at the back of the bottom bracket? More thigh muscle used compared to pedaling in front of the bb?
Beerope is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 04:31 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,496
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beerope
That was about fit, this is about weight. Just need more opinion before i do it. Building a bike is a big thing for me and it will be my first attempt and i want to perfect it, just to be sure, before i build it
And you've been told by everyone in all of your threads to not do it. It is going to be far from perfect. If you want it to be perfect, build it with tri parts for someone else to ride
rms13 is offline  
Old 06-25-16, 04:32 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
And you've been told by everyone in all of your threads to not do it. It is going to be far from perfect. If you want it to be perfect, build it with tri parts for someone else to ride
Thank you. This will be the last of it. I will post it on CL right now. What oem frames are good? Workswell R5 or chinarello
Beerope is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.