Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Domane in the Wild!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Domane in the Wild!

Old 06-28-16, 01:57 AM
  #1  
12strings
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Madison, IN
Posts: 1,351

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Domane in the Wild!

No pics, but a guy in our bike club showed up for our ride tonight with his brand spanking new Trek Domane with isocoupler stuff and Ultegra DI2 groupset.

The thing that was very noticeable is that when he was going hard, his saddle was moving up and down as that rear separated seat post did it's thing. By comparison, other riders saddles appeared to just stay put.

His testimony is that it really makes a difference in removing back pain on long rides. I believe it!
12strings is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 04:43 AM
  #2  
Mr IGH
afraid of whales
 
Mr IGH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 4,306
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds kinda like a $5000 Thudbuster....
Mr IGH is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 08:00 AM
  #3  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,880

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1711 Post(s)
Liked 1,262 Times in 633 Posts
Wonder what that does to your pedalling motion?
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 08:43 AM
  #4  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Wonder what that does to your pedalling motion?
Nothing, provided you know how to pedal properly.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 10:49 AM
  #5  
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 21 Posts
We've got a few of the new SLRs at the shop and it's definitely a fun bike to ride. The new Domane SLs also look great, I think they'll be real popular.


softreset is online now  
Old 06-28-16, 11:12 AM
  #6  
12strings
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Madison, IN
Posts: 1,351

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
We've got a few of the new SLRs at the shop and it's definitely a fun bike to ride. The new Domane SLs also look great, I think they'll be real popular.


Nice Ad, but I won't be in California for another 3-5 years probably...

...Also, Pretty Bike....

...Also, ugly pedals.
12strings is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 11:51 AM
  #7  
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 21 Posts
Yeah, seemed overkill to strap on my pedals and shoes for a 5 minute ride in the parking lot after work.
softreset is online now  
Old 06-28-16, 01:29 PM
  #8  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
I'm convinced the best solve for this is the Canyon/Ergon split post.



Comparisons here:

Best soft-riding rigid seatposts for road, dirt, and gravel - BikeRadar USA

Chinese knockoffs are around $40. You don't need a fancy frame.
Nice, BUT you can put a rider+gear combo of over 220 pounds on any Domane. Not that seatpost though.

What I'm saying is that I'm too fat. Was looking at suspension seatpost stuff for my gravel bike project.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 02:18 PM
  #9  
Gladius
Senior Member
 
Gladius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Erie, CO
Posts: 210

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Saw one of these at Ride the Rockies two weeks ago. Owner said he liked it.

The seatpost on my 2014 Domane sways as well, according to those riding behind me. I can't feel it moving. I suppose it's doing it's job. I don't have to pedal any differently.
I'm not sold on the steerer tube damping, though, on the new one. Not sure I want anything taking away steering feel.
Gladius is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 02:32 PM
  #10  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
Saw one of these at Ride the Rockies two weeks ago. Owner said he liked it.

The seatpost on my 2014 Domane sways as well, according to those riding behind me. I can't feel it moving. I suppose it's doing it's job. I don't have to pedal any differently.
I'm not sold on the steerer tube damping, though, on the new one. Not sure I want anything taking away steering feel.
I am also super happy with my "dumb" Domane. I don't mind the front end at all (carbon bars plus tubless does help). But people griped that the front end was too stiff because the rear was too compliant, so they gave the people what they wanted. I hope they are happy. I'll ride mine until the inevitable carbon asplosion.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 02:40 PM
  #11  
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 21 Posts
Steering is unchanged. The flex in the top stem area is significantly less than what the seat post does. If it anything it feels more like a loose headset (in terms of play/movement).

I haven't taken tried to whip the bike around on crappy surfaces but on parking lot chip seal I felt no more/less connected to the road versus the previous iteration.
softreset is online now  
Old 06-28-16, 02:56 PM
  #12  
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,397
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings View Post
No pics, but a guy in our bike club showed up for our ride tonight with his brand spanking new Trek Domane with isocoupler stuff and Ultegra DI2 groupset.

The thing that was very noticeable is that when he was going hard, his saddle was moving up and down as that rear separated seat post did it's thing. By comparison, other riders saddles appeared to just stay put.

His testimony is that it really makes a difference in removing back pain on long rides. I believe it!
I very briefly test rode one of these the other day (the $5,000 version), and to be clear the amount of movement you get in the back is actually adjustable with an allen wrench. You can adjust it to not move it all, or to move quite a bit. Just fyi for anyone thinking they wouldn't want to risk it.

They've definitely kept the handling on the slower (not twitchy) side in my opinion. Nothing "wrong" with that except it's not my personal preference for a bike that expensive.
PaulRivers is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 03:03 PM
  #13  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
Steering is unchanged. The flex in the top stem area is significantly less than what the seat post does. If it anything it feels more like a loose headset (in terms of play/movement).

I haven't taken tried to whip the bike around on crappy surfaces but on parking lot chip seal I felt no more/less connected to the road versus the previous iteration.
I'm sure they did a fine job. Trek actually works their tails off on the engineering side and do a lot of testing. I just didn't find it necessary. But I'm obviously in the minority because the number one complaint I saw about the original was the stiff front end. I'm happy to be wrong.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 03:28 PM
  #14  
side_FX
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
I very briefly test rode one of these the other day (the $5,000 version), and to be clear the amount of movement you get in the back is actually adjustable with an allen wrench. You can adjust it to not move it all, or to move quite a bit. Just fyi for anyone thinking they wouldn't want to risk it.

They've definitely kept the handling on the slower (not twitchy) side in my opinion. Nothing "wrong" with that except it's not my personal preference for a bike that expensive.
I don't know. It's kind of like a backup cam for a car. Is it nice to have? I guess. Do I really need it? Probably not. I'd rather spend a bit less and get a comparable bike without the adjustable backend.
side_FX is offline  
Old 06-28-16, 04:46 PM
  #15  
cthenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 2,567

Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset View Post
We've got a few of the new SLRs at the shop and it's definitely a fun bike to ride. The new Domane SLs also look great, I think they'll be real popular.


OK, I HATE blackity black black bikes, but man, that thing is suuhweeet! Would totally keep those tester pedals.
cthenn is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
JFJ301
Fitting Your Bike
1
04-10-15 06:31 AM
RNAV
Road Cycling
104
09-12-14 10:08 AM
GaIslander
Road Cycling
1
12-10-13 07:51 AM
greensmoothie
Road Cycling
72
12-09-13 10:19 AM
Street Pedaler
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
10
07-26-13 10:23 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.