Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to cycling

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New to cycling

Old 08-29-16, 07:53 PM
  #1  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to cycling

Hey everyone. I would love any and all advice that can be given on this top. I'm wanting to buy a road bike (would be my first one) I'm looking in the $300-$500 range but I'm told that is impossible to find. Bikes Direct has a motobecane s for around $400 but being new to it I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 07:59 PM
  #2  
Smithson1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a pretty nice ride for $850. You won't find much for $400, maybe better off buying used on craigslist at that price point.

Fuji Roubaix 1.5 Road Bike - 2016
Smithson1 is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 08:01 PM
  #3  
memebag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,597

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I bought my first road bike for $300. It was used and I hated it. Road it 3 years. It tried to kill me multiple times.
memebag is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 08:03 PM
  #4  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried to kill you?
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 08:19 PM
  #5  
SpookyReverb
Senior Member
 
SpookyReverb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 190

Bikes: 2018 All-City Space Horse Disc, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, 1987 Centurion Ironman, KidzTandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say that if your limit is $500, spend the $400 on the motobecane and keep $100 for an initial tune-up at your local bike shop. After riding this bike for awhile, one of two things may happen:

1. You love it forever. or, probably:
2. You learn what you like about the bike and what you don't like. With that knowledge, in the future, you purchase a second bike that is more likely exactly what you want.

It is so hard to tell what's what when you are 'new to the scene' (at least in my experience). My first bike (Trek Allant) was everything I thought I wanted: an upright city bike with low gears for the hills in my town. After a year, I realized what I really wanted was a drop-bar touring bike. I don't know, bikes are so different from eachother, sometimes it takes a few to get to the 'right' one. It took me five!
SpookyReverb is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 08:26 PM
  #6  
Kevindale
Senior Member
 
Kevindale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 1,684

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
A friend who was an experienced fixie rider got a Bikes Direct Motobecane and has been very happy with it. Two keys: work to get a good fit (hard to do over the internet, but not impossible) and get some help in assembling it (and perhaps taking apart the things that come assembled, regrease them, and tighten them up yourself). Having someone with experience help with this would be extremely useful. Check to see if you have a local bike coop if you don't have friends who ride a lot. The LBS can do this, but their fee will negate some of your savings.

If you take your time, you can definitely find a good road bike on Craigslist in your price range. Again, it takes some knowledge, and having the help of an experienced person is extremely useful. This is really what you're paying the LBS for when you buy a decent entry level road bike -- they'll help you find what you need, and stand behind it. If you go that route, shop all the nearby LBSs to find the one you like best. One additional advantage of going that route at this time of year is that we're coming into the season where the remaining bikes of 2016 are going on sale.
Kevindale is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 06:36 AM
  #7  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all the help. It's been very useful.
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 06:40 AM
  #8  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,848

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 512 Posts
What Size do you need for a good Fit?
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 06:46 AM
  #9  
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,063
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 209 Posts
A used bike is likely much better value. Assume anything you buy needs new tires and cables and a tune up. If you plan to do the work yourself, great, there are lots of online resources and many cities have bike co-ops of 'bike kitchens' that can offer advice and a workshop. Bikesdirect bikes are exactly what they say they are - very good value for the initial purchase price, but they don't include fitting, assembly, or any maintenance, which bike shops are supposed to help with. If you want new, a bikesdirect bike with an initial tune-up by a lbs is probably a good idea.

First thing, though, is figuring out what size you need. How tall are you?
Wilfred Laurier is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 06:54 AM
  #10  
deex
Senior Member
 
deex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: West Palm Beach FL
Posts: 176

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you buy a bikes direct or even a LBS bike budget for a proper fitting seat. It is rare to get a good seat for your needs on any bike purchase. Also change the seat after you have ridden for a few hundred miles. Your butt needs to get used to riding.

I bought a used specialized Allez elite for 320 on Craigslist. I have invested a few hundred dollars on it but it fits and feels very nice now. It was a cheap but good investment. I was not sure if I was going to like road biking coming from the MTB world, but now I know I do. My next bike may well be a bikes direct purchase.
deex is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 08:01 AM
  #11  
lupy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think it will be impossible to find a used one with 105 10 speed near your budget. Waiting for one that you like and fits you with your budget might take a little longer than you want though.

EDIT: I bought and sold a carbon masi w/ 105 10 speed for $600. It ended up being too big for me. It was nice to try the sport out without breaking the bank, and after a year I decided to sell it and get a different size.

Last edited by lupy; 08-30-16 at 08:04 AM. Reason: added info
lupy is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 08:46 AM
  #12  
memebag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,597

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
Tried to kill you?
Yes, the wicked thing threw me on the ground, sometimes in front of cars.

I bought a road bike because I needed a road bike to ride the MS 150. I had no knowledge about road bikes or what I wanted from one. My first (a 2007 Trek Pilot) got me enough experience to know what I wanted in my next one. So I recommend against spending too much on your first bike, even if it tries to kill you.
memebag is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 11:31 AM
  #13  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier View Post
A used bike is likely much better value. Assume anything you buy needs new tires and cables and a tune up. If you plan to do the work yourself, great, there are lots of online resources and many cities have bike co-ops of 'bike kitchens' that can offer advice and a workshop. Bikesdirect bikes are exactly what
they say they are - very good value for the initial purchase price, but they don't include fitting, assembly, or any maintenance, which bike shops are supposed to help with. If you want new, a bikesdirect bike with an initial tune-up by a lbs is probably a good idea.

First thing, though, is figuring out what size you need. How tall are you?
5'8. I'm told I need a 54cm from my lbs.
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 11:44 AM
  #14  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
5'8. I'm told I need a 54cm from my lbs.
Depends on you and depends on the bike since different bikes are sized differently and have different geometry. I'm about 5'11 and ride a 54.

Where do you live? Depending on the area you might find better luck used on craigslist. Where I live I know I could find a very serviceable used bike for $500. If you don't have that option then Bikesdirect or Nashbar (especially when they have 20% off) can be a good deal especially if you can assemble and tune it yourself. But even on those sites new road bikes in the $300-500 are full of compromise
rms13 is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 12:12 PM
  #15  
DrRobert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you live near a college town, check the local bike clubs ads.
DrRobert is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 01:20 PM
  #16  
Inpd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,825
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
Hey everyone. I would love any and all advice that can be given on this top. I'm wanting to buy a road bike (would be my first one) I'm looking in the $300-$500 range but I'm told that is impossible to find. Bikes Direct has a motobecane s for around $400 but being new to it I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not
I had and sold a dawes lightening dlx from BD.


Probably there best bike under $400, but check with them as specs can change.

Mine had claris STIs, sora Rd and shifted beautifully.

At 22 pounds it was light for the price point.

Also check bikeisland which is BD factory second store.

They often take $100+ of the price for cosmetix issues.

Finally and most importantly, dont be scared of wrenching. Given your budget is tight you may as well learn to do all your service yourself.
Inpd is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 02:02 PM
  #17  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd View Post
I had and sold a dawes lightening dlx from BD.


Probably there best bike under $400, but check with them as specs can change.

Mine had claris STIs, sora Rd and shifted beautifully.

At 22 pounds it was light for the price point.

Also check bikeisland which is BD factory second store.

They often take $100+ of the price for cosmetix issues.

Finally and most importantly, dont be scared of wrenching. Given your budget is tight you may as well learn to do all your service yourself.
im by no means a professional when it comes to working on bikes. I am however very handy and competent when dealing with things of that nature and think I'd be able to put one together and "maybe" tune one myself.
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 02:44 PM
  #18  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,980

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6815 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
im by no means a professional when it comes to working on bikes. I am however very handy and competent when dealing with things of that nature and think I'd be able to put one together and "maybe" tune one myself.
If you are coordinated enough to use a keyboard ... you can learn absolutely everything about bike repair and maintenance on YouTube.

Most bike maintenance is simple, if you have a sort of flow chart---do everything in the right order, get everything you need before you start, always know where in the process you are and what the next step is ... Very little of it depends on some surgical precision or a mechanic's touch which can only be developed over many years (tuning up old V8 motors with carburetors, for instance ... forget it.)

I also own a BikesDirect Dawes, and second shopping there. There are decent new bikes available for under $500 so long as you are willing to take responsibility for assembly and tuning.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 04:08 PM
  #19  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
If you are coordinated enough to use a keyboard ... you can learn absolutely everything about bike repair and maintenance on YouTube.

Most bike maintenance is simple, if you have a sort of flow chart---do everything in the right order, get everything you need before you start, always know where in the process you are and what the next step is ... Very little of it depends on some surgical precision or a mechanic's touch which can only be developed over many years (tuning up old V8 motors with carburetors, for instance ... forget it.)

I also own a BikesDirect Dawes, and second shopping there. There are decent new bikes available for under $500 so long as you are willing to take responsibility for assembly and tuning.
these are the three I'm looking at. Which seems to be better? I'm leaning towards the Motobecan but not married to that idea.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt_dlx_xiii.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington3_IX.htm

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/road_bikes/mirage_s.htm
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 04:25 PM
  #20  
LGHT
Senior Member
 
LGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Irvine
Posts: 1,416

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My first bike was a used 2007 Roubaix from a police auction. It costs $225, but had no wheels. $100 for wheels from ebay and I road it for a year and loved it.
LGHT is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 04:38 PM
  #21  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
My first bike was a used 2007 Roubaix from a police auction. It costs $225, but had no wheels. $100 for wheels from ebay and I road it for a year and loved it.
seems like what I gather from most across the board is not to worry so much about the first bike. Buy one, ride it and upgrade later once I've determined what I like. Would you agree with this?
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 05:18 PM
  #22  
LGHT
Senior Member
 
LGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Irvine
Posts: 1,416

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
seems like what I gather from most across the board is not to worry so much about the first bike. Buy one, ride it and upgrade later once I've determined what I like. Would you agree with this?
Pretty much. Don't be that guy that spends $1500 on a new bike $500 on kits and gear ride it for 500 miles and let it sit in the garage and sells it on CL for $500. Ohh wait what city are you in my brothers is looking for a deal
LGHT is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 05:49 PM
  #23  
Da Reef
Senior Member
 
Da Reef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 349

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar 105: Nashbar 105 Road Bike

Currently on sale for $700ish, wait for the 40% off and it will be close to your budget. I've been very happy and continue to use mine as a bad weather/commuting bike. 105 derailers and shifters are hard to find at this price point.
Da Reef is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 06:00 PM
  #24  
RichardR1015
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Reef View Post
Nashbar 105: Nashbar 105 Road Bike

Currently on sale for $700ish, wait for the 40% off and it will be close to your budget. I've been very happy and continue to use mine as a bad weather/commuting bike. 105 derailers and shifters are hard to find at this price point.
current price i see is 899.99???
RichardR1015 is offline  
Old 08-30-16, 06:07 PM
  #25  
Da Reef
Senior Member
 
Da Reef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 349

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015 View Post
current price i see is 899.99???
Have to add it to cart and then you can see the extra discount. Currently $717 shipped. They have bigger sales if you can wait.
Da Reef is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.