Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying first road bike: Help me bikeforums.net, you're my only hope

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying first road bike: Help me bikeforums.net, you're my only hope

Old 12-19-16, 10:34 AM
  #26  
Wildwood
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 9,191

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by nuclear_biker View Post
I'm now looking to get into longer rides and casual endurance racing so I'm looking to buy my first roadbike.
Glad you got a 1st road bike like you wanted and are ready to roll.
Please tell me more about these 'casual endurance races', as i am a slow racer and would to find some where i might fit in.
Wildwood is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 11:14 AM
  #27  
goenrdoug
Senior Member
 
goenrdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
congrats on the new ride.

conventional wisdom (and forum trolls) would tell you to immediately remove the dork disk and cut down on the cottage cheese.
goenrdoug is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 12:38 PM
  #28  
nuclear_biker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug View Post
congrats on the new ride.

conventional wisdom (and forum trolls) would tell you to immediately remove the dork disk and cut down on the cottage cheese.
Yeah I've been meaning to cut it off . Also don't tell anybody but I have MTB pedals on there. I'm using my commuting shoes until xmas/birthday money comes through for a pair of road shoes/pedals. Cottage cheese?
nuclear_biker is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 12:41 PM
  #29  
goenrdoug
Senior Member
 
goenrdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Meh, I use SPD pedals as well. I'm always first clipped in and first through the intersection on group rides. I have no plans to switch away from them.

I'm just yanking your chain; feel free to leave the dork disk on and eat a quart of cottage cheese for dinner if you like.
goenrdoug is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 12:47 PM
  #30  
goenrdoug
Senior Member
 
goenrdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
and yeah, cottage cheese:

goenrdoug is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 12:50 PM
  #31  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
That's gorgeous, and an amazing value at the price that you paid.

Just noticed in the first picture that the chain is on the biggest chainring and the biggest sprocket. It's usually considered best practice to avoid the big-big and small-small combinations.
Trakhak is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 02:41 PM
  #32  
nuclear_biker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug View Post
and yeah, cottage cheese:

You're my hero. I can't believe you noticed that. I eat cottage cheese by the bucketful, mix in your favorite hot sauce for a little bit more flavor!

At first I thought you were making fun of my grip tape wrapping job. Left side is original, right side is me rewrapping with shifter cable underneath. Either way the grip tape it comes with leave much to be desired, and will be replaced with the bar!

Originally Posted by Trakhak View Post
That's gorgeous, and an amazing value at the price that you paid.

Just noticed in the first picture that the chain is on the biggest chainring and the biggest sprocket. It's usually considered best practice to avoid the big-big and small-small combinations.
I'm going to the special hell for cross chainers I never do it when climbing though, just when I slow down for a stop sign or end of the ride.

Last edited by nuclear_biker; 12-19-16 at 02:45 PM.
nuclear_biker is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 02:59 PM
  #33  
Da Reef
Senior Member
 
Da Reef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 349

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cottage cheese and hot sauce...the things you learn on bike boards...
Da Reef is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 03:15 PM
  #34  
goenrdoug
Senior Member
 
goenrdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I dunno, I think the right-side bar wrap job looks fine. Good work. For the future, there are lots of youtube videos on the subject where you can learn the super-special techniques of master pro mechanics... Yeah.

Personally, I've used the $8 cheap cork stuff and some way over-priced Fizik stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Fizik-F170390...00AONXNU2?th=1

I like both. Right now I'm on the Fizik stuff and it's pretty nice, though, as people have told me, the color/outer pleather coating is beginning to wear off in spots. Still, IMO it's worth putting a little extra bread into the part of the bike you're gonna touch a LOT over time.

As for the spicy cottage cheese.. Hmmm.. I think I'm gonna take your word for it on that one... Something about the texture of cottage cheese has always turned me off. Now, Pimento cheese, on the other hand
goenrdoug is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 03:36 PM
  #35  
smith_Jr
Smith jr
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 16

Bikes: Kestrel Tri bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey , if you are a beginner road biker and want to buy brand new road bike you can check giordano libero 1.6 men's road bike-700c . I am using this bike for last 2 years . This is a awesome road bike for newbie . you can check it .

Last edited by smith_Jr; 02-18-17 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Basic and link update
smith_Jr is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 04:35 PM
  #36  
nuclear_biker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug View Post
I dunno, I think the right-side bar wrap job looks fine. Good work. For the future, there are lots of youtube videos on the subject where you can learn the super-special techniques of master pro mechanics... Yeah.

Personally, I've used the $8 cheap cork stuff and some way over-priced Fizik stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Fizik-F170390...00AONXNU2?th=1

I like both. Right now I'm on the Fizik stuff and it's pretty nice, though, as people have told me, the color/outer pleather coating is beginning to wear off in spots. Still, IMO it's worth putting a little extra bread into the part of the bike you're gonna touch a LOT over time.

As for the spicy cottage cheese.. Hmmm.. I think I'm gonna take your word for it on that one... Something about the texture of cottage cheese has always turned me off. Now, Pimento cheese, on the other hand
I'm not interested in going cheap on bar tape. LBS carries Bontrager (eh) and Lizard Skins (which looked nice) but I'm not opposed to shopping elsewhere/special ordering. I really like the look of some of the Fiziks offerings too. I'm sure my wrapping technique will improve with time.

I love me some pimento cheese. I want to make some with a bit of ghost pepper mixed in.
nuclear_biker is offline  
Old 12-19-16, 04:46 PM
  #37  
goenrdoug
Senior Member
 
goenrdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,376

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
my mistake, I dunno why I thought mine was the Fizik stuff (maybe because I ordered some Fizik gel inserts at the same time (and never ended up using them)) but I AM actually using the Lizard Skins stuff: http://a.co/a6PpodM

IMO, I like the tacky feel, it's just the right thickness and looks sharp.

Everyone's preferences (and gloves) are different, of course, and that has a lot to do with your choice of bar tape.

I'm gonna stop thinking about cheese and go have a nice banana or something...
goenrdoug is offline  
Old 02-16-17, 02:16 PM
  #38  
ARAM0617
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LeChampion CF Di2

I spoke to my LBS before ordering my Motobecane and asked him about the brand and components for $1995.95

To my surprise he told me the brand of bike is pretty good and the components and wheel set, (MAVIC Ksryrium), alone are worth the money. That being said he had me order the bike and have it delivered to the shop and his staff assembled it for me for a $35 charge. This is my 4th bike, my last being a Cannondale SuperSix with SRAM Force components and I love my Motobecane a bit more. It's stiff, fast and the Di2 is amazing. I'd check with your LBS about assembly if you're interested in purchasing through BD. I'm happy with my choice.
ARAM0617 is offline  
Old 02-23-17, 10:26 AM
  #39  
nuclear_biker
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ARAM0617 View Post
I spoke to my LBS before ordering my Motobecane and asked him about the brand and components for $1995.95

To my surprise he told me the brand of bike is pretty good and the components and wheel set, (MAVIC Ksryrium), alone are worth the money. That being said he had me order the bike and have it delivered to the shop and his staff assembled it for me for a $35 charge. This is my 4th bike, my last being a Cannondale SuperSix with SRAM Force components and I love my Motobecane a bit more. It's stiff, fast and the Di2 is amazing. I'd check with your LBS about assembly if you're interested in purchasing through BD. I'm happy with my choice.
I'm coming up to the 300 mile mark and I have to say I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I've replaced all of the Richey parts (fit issues, although I didn't care for the Biomax bars) and the only issue I've really had are 1. the headset bearing is open and easily allows dirt to get in; I replaced these for around 30 bucks 2. the paint job is really not great, matte black looks good but shows smudges, grease and dirt easily and I've already got a few chips 3. the fork is mostly aluminum, although this is fine for me and I haven't noticed any flex on 40 mph downhills.
nuclear_biker is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
one4smoke
Road Cycling
24
11-12-17 06:36 AM
seth10015
Road Cycling
22
08-03-16 06:59 PM
jimicoltrane
Road Cycling
49
03-18-16 08:54 PM
Adrianinkc
Road Cycling
30
01-15-13 10:07 PM
paipo
Road Cycling
9
07-29-10 07:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.