Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

ICAN Carbon Wheels

Old 03-13-17, 08:52 AM
  #26  
tronzo86
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnemucca, Nevada
Posts: 19

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stykthyn View Post
Post some pics!!!
HAHA of course! I only have this one on my phone currently but I will post more detailed pictures in my later updates.

Here is a link to amazon where I purchased the wheels
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
tronzo86 is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 12:28 PM
  #27  
mfennell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have about 600 miles on a set of 50mm iCANs that I bought through Amazon. They occasionally stock them. I paid $474. They came in at 1580g on my scale.

They have remained true. Rear dish is about 2mm out and whatever they use for spoke prep resulted in twisting spokes when I tried to touch it up so I left it as-is. The rear wheel brakes a little bit unevenly, feeling as if the friction surface is variable some how.

They are stiffer laterally than the Roval 32 CLX wheels on my S-WORKS but don't brake nearly as well. I've never ridden them in the rain.

I thought the quick releases that came with them looked far too spindly so I did not use them.

mfennell is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 03:06 PM
  #28  
bonz50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 2,330

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've debated getting some upgraded rims for my Synapse4 (oem Fulcrum 7's) and I was considering a custom build AL rim or a factory rim like Boyd or such... but these cheap carbon wheels make me question whether or not this would be a better route. biggest reason for wanting a newer rim is mostly vanity, the Fulcrum decals are peeling off which is a bit unsightly, but they are true and functional, but I'm also intrigued by the wider rims as a way to potentially improve the comfort of the bike.

these cheap carbons sound like a way for me to try it out and see how I like it without breaking the bank, nice to see they are pretty well reviewed.
bonz50 is offline  
Old 03-13-17, 04:16 PM
  #29  
tronzo86
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnemucca, Nevada
Posts: 19

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mfennell View Post
I have about 600 miles on a set of 50mm iCANs that I bought through Amazon. They occasionally stock them. I paid $474. They came in at 1580g on my scale.

They have remained true. Rear dish is about 2mm out and whatever they use for spoke prep resulted in twisting spokes when I tried to touch it up so I left it as-is. The rear wheel brakes a little bit unevenly, feeling as if the friction surface is variable some how.

They are stiffer laterally than the Roval 32 CLX wheels on my S-WORKS but don't brake nearly as well. I've never ridden them in the rain.

I thought the quick releases that came with them looked far too spindly so I did not use them.
I know with bladed spokes a tool is required to hold the spoke in the correct orientation so that it will not twist while tensioned. The braking felt great on mine. Quickly stopping from 30 mph downhills. Just as good or better than my old aluminum wheels. Luckily in Nevada we do not get much rain so I dont think I will not have to test braking in the rain. The quick releases that came with these wheels were heavy and unsightly, but they looked functional.
tronzo86 is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 06:16 PM
  #30  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dangit you guys have me about to pull the trigger on one of these options, although my experiment with Chinese carbon handlebars didn't go very well.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 06:24 PM
  #31  
tronzo86
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnemucca, Nevada
Posts: 19

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
Dangit you guys have me about to pull the trigger on one of these options, although my experiment with Chinese carbon handlebars didn't go very well.
HAHA! DO IT! I was just in your position about a month ago. I found this youtube video where this guy bought a set of the 38 wheels and they worked well besides breaking a spoke here and there the rear spokes were replaced with different spokes the wheels were fine. The next set he bought was the ICAN 50mm with Sapim cx ray spokes and he claims they have held true and have not given him a problem since purchase. SO if you do pull the trigger make sure to get the sapim cx ray spokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJJ...89537045720758

What happened with the handlebars?
tronzo86 is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 06:31 PM
  #32  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tronzo86 View Post
HAHA! DO IT! I was just in your position about a month ago. I found this youtube video where this guy bought a set of the 38 wheels and they worked well besides breaking a spoke here and there the rear spokes were replaced with different spokes the wheels were fine. The next set he bought was the ICAN 50mm with Sapim cx ray spokes and he claims they have held true and have not given him a problem since purchase. SO if you do pull the trigger make sure to get the sapim cx ray spokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHJJ...89537045720758

What happened with the handlebars?
Never mounted them and decided to stress test them a little off the bike. I put one end of the bar against my chest and grabbed the other end with both hands and pulled it towards me. I immediately heard cracking. I was applying a decent amount of force to get it to do that - they weren't complete noodles at least. However I'm a bigger guy and torque the bars pretty good when I sprint. Anyway needless to say I wouldn't feel comfortable putting them on my bike. I'm probably going to plunk down $300 bucks at some point for some 3t's.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 06:37 PM
  #33  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The onlycarbonwheel guy on ebay looks too good to be true, although his wheels do seem a little heavy.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 07:53 PM
  #34  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,411

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
The onlycarbonwheel guy on ebay looks too good to be true, although his wheels do seem a little heavy.
Heavy? His low profile tubular rims only about 275 g each.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 08:06 PM
  #35  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
Heavy? His low profile tubular rims only about 275 g each.
Shoot me a link to one. The one's I looked at were 1700+ grams for a 50mm clincher which seemed a little heavy.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 03-15-17, 08:07 PM
  #36  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at some Yoeleo wheels now. Yep, I've gone down the rabbit hole.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 07:24 AM
  #37  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,411

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
Shoot me a link to one. The one's I looked at were 1700+ grams for a 50mm clincher which seemed a little heavy.
Here you go. About 1550g. When you add both width and depth to a rim, as well as it being a clincher, you have to expect the weight to go up.

Super light ceramic bearing wheelset 50mm clincher carbon wheels bicycle wheels | eBay
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 07:39 AM
  #38  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
Here you go. About 1550g. When you add both width and depth to a rim, as well as it being a clincher, you have to expect the weight to go up.

Super light ceramic bearing wheelset 50mm clincher carbon wheels bicycle wheels | eBay
1550 is ok - 1700+ is a little heavy. Any long term reviews on wheels purchased from this seller? With the Sapim spokes and 25mm rim they come out to as much as the Icans/Yoeleo/Carbonzone which all have a pretty good reputation long term.

I'm also looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/Queen-Bike-Cl...cm_wl_huc_item

They have a version of the same wheel but with a 'Superteam logo that has a decent number of very positive reviews including some long term ones.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 07:55 AM
  #39  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,411

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6346 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have a pair of onlycarbonwheels tubular rims. They have been excellent. Built up easily and with even tensions. Low profile so no comments about aero characteristics. Very good dry stopping with Swisstop Black Prince pads. I don't ride in the wet, so I can't say about that.

Are the competitors offering ceramic bearings for that price? I wouldn't pay extra for ceramic, but if it is included...
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 11:38 AM
  #40  
tronzo86
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winnemucca, Nevada
Posts: 19

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
Never mounted them and decided to stress test them a little off the bike. I put one end of the bar against my chest and grabbed the other end with both hands and pulled it towards me. I immediately heard cracking. I was applying a decent amount of force to get it to do that - they weren't complete noodles at least. However I'm a bigger guy and torque the bars pretty good when I sprint. Anyway needless to say I wouldn't feel comfortable putting them on my bike. I'm probably going to plunk down $300 bucks at some point for some 3t's.
I have been hesitant to go down the carbon bar path for this very reason. If you catch a good sale you can pick up a good carbon bar for around $100 or less. The ICAN wheels I have with sapim spokes came out to 1410 grams for a wide profile and 38mm deep
tronzo86 is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 11:51 AM
  #41  
69chevy
wears long socks
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
1550 is ok - 1700+ is a little heavy. Any long term reviews on wheels purchased from this seller? With the Sapim spokes and 25mm rim they come out to as much as the Icans/Yoeleo/Carbonzone which all have a pretty good reputation long term.

I'm also looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/Queen-Bike-Cl...cm_wl_huc_item

They have a version of the same wheel but with a 'Superteam logo that has a decent number of very positive reviews including some long term ones.
Only in cycling is one third of a pound the difference between "OK" and "heavy".


8oz of water weighs half a pound..
69chevy is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 11:58 AM
  #42  
nycphotography
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy View Post
Only in cycling is one third of a pound the difference between "OK" and "heavy".
8oz of water weighs half a pound..
Tennis rackets?
Golf clubs?
Cameras?
Model airplanes / drones?
nycphotography is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 12:10 PM
  #43  
69chevy
wears long socks
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
Tennis rackets?
Golf clubs?
Cameras?
Model airplanes / drones?
Please forgive me and allow me to rephrase....


Only in cycling is one third of a pound the difference between "OK" and "heavy", when it only accounts for 0.15% of the weight of a cyclist and his bike.
69chevy is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 12:29 PM
  #44  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy View Post
Only in cycling is one third of a pound the difference between "OK" and "heavy".


8oz of water weighs half a pound..
Yep it is heavy. A lot of wheels in this build class come in at 1500 grams or less. That is concerning for a few reasons, not the least of which is WHY are they that much heavier. Is it something with the build? Something that could also affect the quality of the build? The concern isn't just dragging the extra weight around - although if you think about it if you multiply that extra 1/3 to 1/2 pound x however many thousands of revolutions it becomes a little more considerable as well.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 12:43 PM
  #45  
nycphotography
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,603
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy View Post
Please forgive me and allow me to rephrase....


Only in cycling is one third of a pound the difference between "OK" and "heavy", when it only accounts for 0.15% of the weight of a cyclist and his bike.
Hiking gear is weight weenieish and has a similar utility/price curve to cycling gear.

anyhow, it's not so much grams, as grams for $$$.
nycphotography is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 12:59 PM
  #46  
69chevy
wears long socks
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
Yep it is heavy. A lot of wheels in this build class come in at 1500 grams or less. That is concerning for a few reasons, not the least of which is WHY are they that much heavier. Is it something with the build? Something that could also affect the quality of the build? The concern isn't just dragging the extra weight around - although if you think about it if you multiply that extra 1/3 to 1/2 pound x however many thousands of revolutions it becomes a little more considerable as well.
I'm personally more concerned as to how much durability is sacrificed on wheels that are lighter.


I'm also aware that the power you use to spin your wheels is less than .5% of the power required to propel your bicycle. Much like weight on the bicycle itself, weight on the wheels may calculate to cost you xx% more power, but the total percent to the efficiency of the bike plus rider is very, very small.


Don't believe me? Use your finger to spin your rear wheel at the hub. See how little energy/force is needed to spin your wheel? Make it 10% lighter, and it is 10% easier than what was already easy.
69chevy is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 01:02 PM
  #47  
69chevy
wears long socks
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography View Post
Hiking gear is weight weenieish and has a similar utility/price curve to cycling gear.

anyhow, it's not so much grams, as grams for $$$.
I believe you.


Considering (very generally) cycling is three times more efficient than walking, hiking weight weenies make more sense than cycling weight weenies.
69chevy is offline  
Old 03-16-17, 01:40 PM
  #48  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 69chevy View Post
I'm personally more concerned as to how much durability is sacrificed on wheels that are lighter.

Early on with Chinese wheels there were issues with extra materials from the manufacturing process being left inside the wheels.

Look, I'm not going to argue. That much extra weight simply raises a flag. I have aluminium clinchers that are lighter.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 03-23-17, 08:29 AM
  #49  
ravenmore
Senior Member
 
ravenmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up pulling the trigger on the 86mm version on Amazon. We'll see how it goes. I have a history of being very hard on wheels which is part of why I went with the 86's - I figure they will be a little more durable especially until I drop some weight (I haven't been riding much the past couple of years). If they work out I'll also get either some 38's or 50's in a few months.

One reason I pulled the trigger is that on some of them I saw a couple of long term reviews where they were still very happy with them. Figure that's a pretty good sign.
ravenmore is offline  
Old 03-23-17, 08:41 AM
  #50  
99Klein 
Senior Member
 
99Klein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 1,089

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore View Post
I ended up pulling the trigger on the 86mm version on Amazon. We'll see how it goes. I have a history of being very hard on wheels which is part of why I went with the 86's - I figure they will be a little more durable especially until I drop some weight (I haven't been riding much the past couple of years). If they work out I'll also get either some 38's or 50's in a few months.

One reason I pulled the trigger is that on some of them I saw a couple of long term reviews where they were still very happy with them. Figure that's a pretty good sign.
I would think 86mm would be pretty solid. I bought some Chinese 50mm's late last year and have over 2k on them without any problems. I'm hard on wheels too (and heavy.) I would never consider Chinese carbon bars, but haven't had any wheel problems with people I know/ride with. Hubs are on the cheap side, so be careful which ones you chose (if you have a choice.)
99Klein is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.