Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXV

Old 04-28-17, 07:39 AM
  #5301  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 33,272

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,059 Times in 3,639 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Another closed thread, in another unnamed forum. I read the whole thing, and can't figure out why.
I'm guessing you are referring to the "Loose Balls" thread that was closed this morning?
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:40 AM
  #5302  
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,985

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
A lot of times the offending posts are removed pretty quickly and a thread gets locked to prevent further digressions. Especially true if they're insults or rants.
Did a mod hijack Dan's account?
f4rrest is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:41 AM
  #5303  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I need some photographic advice from the group. I am going to shoot the underground cistern in Houston, a large, empty, man-made cavern that used to hold the city's immediate water supply back in its less populous days. Specific photographic themed tours are offered. A friend and I are signed up for tomorrow. Based on similar things I have seen elsewhere, like in Turkey, it should be really interesting.

It is artificially lit, and flash is not allowed. Nor would it work very well, I suppose, due to the size of the space. I have four lenses available, a 50/1.4, 17-50/2.8, 28-75/2.8 and 70-210/4.0. I also have a 1.4X tele-adapter that I use with the 50 for portraits. Surprisingly the two work very well together.

I am thinking of leaving the 70-210 home as it is too slow, and I don't think I will need that much reach. Since I have 16 MP available, I would rather crop for tele-effect if necessary. Besides, the "beercan" tele-lens is long and heavy, and I don't do a good job of stabilizing it. I don't think it would work well at the wide open apertures and slow shutter speeds I will need to use. I don't have a monopod or other similar support to take.

I am leaning toward the 50 without the adapter for pure speed and image quality and the 28-75 in case I need a little extra reach. I'm not too worried about wider angle.

We are talking about a Sony in-body stabilized camera body with an APS-C sensor (1.5X crop factor). I am tempted go in with the 50 mounted and make it work.

Your comments would be appreciated.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:42 AM
  #5304  
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,308

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Did someone hijack Dan's account?
Billy set up a filter so any time I post something obnoxiously troll-y, it re-words my post to be something bland about forum guidelines. Seems effective.
Dan333SP is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:42 AM
  #5305  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,903

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,755 Times in 2,591 Posts
Addiction Food Post, Pet Edition:

Mrs. rjones28 likes to cook, so she makes Benson's food. The small pan on the right is my dinner. The rest is for Benson.

__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:43 AM
  #5306  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,903

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,755 Times in 2,591 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Oh ****,

Chad Young 'not expected to recover' from Tour of the Gila crash | Cyclingnews.com



I don't know Chad Young, but the teammate of his that was involved in the crash, Edward Anderson, is from here and I've ridden with him a few times. He just signed with Hagens Berman and I think this was his first stage race as a pro, it's gotta be horrible to go down and have one of your teammates not survive.

Thoughts with Edward and the family of Chad, bike racing has been pretty tragic lately.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:44 AM
  #5307  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 33,272

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,059 Times in 3,639 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
Did a mod hijack Dan's account?
I suspect substance abuse. It's pretty obvious. Such a nice guy, too.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:44 AM
  #5308  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Anthying interesting regarding the Texans in the draft? Any chance they snagged a first rate QB?
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:45 AM
  #5309  
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,985

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I need some photographic advice from the group. I am going to shoot the underground cistern in Houston, a large, empty, man-made cavern that used to hold the city's immediate water supply back in its less populous days. Specific photographic themed tours are offered. A friend and I are signed up for tomorrow. Based on similar things I have seen elsewhere, like in Turkey, it should be really interesting.

It is artificially lit, and flash is not allowed. Nor would it work very well, I suppose, due to the size of the space. I have four lenses available, a 50/1.4, 17-50/2.8, 28-75/2.8 and 70-210/4.0. I also have a 1.4X tele-adapter that I use with the 50 for portraits. Surprisingly the two work very well together.

I am thinking of leaving the 70-210 home as it is too slow, and I don't think I will need that much reach. Since I have 16 MP available, I would rather crop for tele-effect if necessary. Besides, the "beercan" tele-lens is long and heavy, and I don't do a good job of stabilizing it. I don't think it would work well at the wide open apertures and slow shutter speeds I will need to use. I don't have a monopod or other similar support to take.

I am leaning toward the 50 without the adapter for pure speed and image quality and the 28-75 in case I need a little extra reach. I'm not too worried about wider angle.

We are talking about a Sony in-body stabilized camera body with an APS-C sensor (1.5X crop factor). I am tempted go in with the 50 mounted and make it work.

Your comments would be appreciated.
17/50 2.8

Wide angle for tight spaces and fun angles.

Largish aperture for low light, but maybe a tripod could be used.

A 50 just seems long for indoors, unless there is some distance available.
f4rrest is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:48 AM
  #5310  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 33,272

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Liked 7,059 Times in 3,639 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction Food Post, Pet Edition:

Mrs. rjones28 likes to cook, so she makes Benson's food. The small pan on the right is my dinner. The rest is for Benson.

That reminds me of Moose's final year when the only thing he could eat was people food. Twice a week I'd cook up a big batch of boiled chicken, sweet potatoes, peas and carrots, and rice. A labor of love.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:49 AM
  #5311  
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,320

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
RE: Dogs and tough decisions... Ours is healthy and just turned 3, but obviously we know the day will come when things aren't so rosy. I'm just thankful my wife is more practical about big decisions, because I know I'm going to be a wreck and cannot be involved in making a choice like a few of you guys have had to make with your pets.
Same
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:51 AM
  #5312  
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,308

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
The correct answer for [MENTION=183557]rpenmanparker[/MENTION] is to buy a new $1,000 fisheye lens. Why work with what you have when you can spend money on something you'll use once?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...D&Q=&A=details
Dan333SP is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:52 AM
  #5313  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,521

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I need some photographic advice from the group. I am going to shoot the underground cistern in Houston, a large, empty, man-made cavern that used to hold the city's immediate water supply back in its less populous days. Specific photographic themed tours are offered. A friend and I are signed up for tomorrow. Based on similar things I have seen elsewhere, like in Turkey, it should be really interesting.

It is artificially lit, and flash is not allowed. Nor would it work very well, I suppose, due to the size of the space. I have four lenses available, a 50/1.4, 17-50/2.8, 28-75/2.8 and 70-210/4.0. I also have a 1.4X tele-adapter that I use with the 50 for portraits. Surprisingly the two work very well together.

I am thinking of leaving the 70-210 home as it is too slow, and I don't think I will need that much reach. Since I have 16 MP available, I would rather crop for tele-effect if necessary. Besides, the "beercan" tele-lens is long and heavy, and I don't do a good job of stabilizing it. I don't think it would work well at the wide open apertures and slow shutter speeds I will need to use. I don't have a monopod or other similar support to take.

I am leaning toward the 50 without the adapter for pure speed and image quality and the 28-75 in case I need a little extra reach. I'm not too worried about wider angle.

We are talking about a Sony in-body stabilized camera body with an APS-C sensor (1.5X crop factor). I am tempted go in with the 50 mounted and make it work.

Your comments would be appreciated.
What subjects do you intend to shoot that short tele would be your first inclination? I mean, I tend to lean WA anyway, but indoors (or not outdoors, at least) even more so. Out of the options available, the 17-50 would be the obvious choice for me. Also keep in mind the DoF advantage that the wider lenses would have at the same aperture and that you'd be able to go to an even slower shutter speed (the IBIS would somewhat lessen the difference here, but there'd still be an advantage with the wider).
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:53 AM
  #5314  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
The correct answer for [MENTION=183557]rpenmanparker[/MENTION] is to buy a new $1,000 fisheye lens. Why work with what you have when you can spend money on something you'll use once?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...D&Q=&A=details

I just knew I could count on you guys
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 07:57 AM
  #5315  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
17/50 2.8

Wide angle for tight spaces and fun angles.

Largish aperture for low light, but maybe a tripod could be used.

A 50 just seems long for indoors, unless there is some distance available.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
What subjects do you intend to shoot that short tele would be your first inclination? I mean, I tend to lean WA anyway, but indoors (or not outdoors, at least) even more so. Out of the options available, the 17-50 would be the obvious choice for me. Also keep in mind the DoF advantage that the wider lenses would have at the same aperture and that you'd be able to go to an even slower shutter speed (the IBIS would somewhat lessen the difference here, but there'd still be an advantage with the wider).
Okay, so two folks in agreement. Thanks. I think I will be looking at a football field size space. May be wrong. Any other thoughts?
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:01 AM
  #5316  
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,308

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Okay, so two folks in agreement. Thanks. I think I will be looking at a football field size space. Maybe wrong. Any other thoughts?
Since you're already in the Sony ecosystem but could benefit from the larger sensor size with a move to full frame, it's also worth considering the new A9-

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promo...9WsaAvKd8P8HAQ

It will collect more light than what you have now, and it can shoot 20 frames per second at full resolution so you won't miss a moment of the action in your underground cavern.

You could also add an A7RII as a backup body if you need a bit less speed but higher resolution for cropping.
Dan333SP is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:03 AM
  #5317  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I am afraid the shooting will be a combination of long shots of the space and tight shots of the equipment and physical supports. That would say the recommendations so far are about right.

Maybe I should take the 50 with adapter in case I need 70 mm and the 17-50 mounted on the camera as you guys recommend. If I have to have f/1.4, I can remove the adapter from the 50.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 04-28-17 at 08:07 AM.
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:04 AM
  #5318  
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,320

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I'm guessing you are referring to the "Loose Balls" thread that was closed this morning?
Yes. No intention to offend anyone's sensibilities; just trying to understand.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:08 AM
  #5319  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Since you're already in the Sony ecosystem but could benefit from the larger sensor size with a move to full frame, it's also worth considering the new A9-

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/promo...9WsaAvKd8P8HAQ

It will collect more light than what you have now, and it can shoot 20 frames per second at full resolution so you won't miss a moment of the action in your underground cavern.

You could also add an A7RII as a backup body if you need a bit less speed but higher resolution for cropping.
I like how you think.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:18 AM
  #5320  
Erik the Inveigler
 
Scarbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: The California Alps
Posts: 2,303
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I also tend to agree with the 17-50 recommendation; and it is probably what I would choose as well.

But . . . how about this? If you feel the 50mm lens would yield the very best quality, take it only. Michelangelo always said that the art was hidden in the rock and that he merely liberated it. His art was one of subtraction, therefore. Let your 50mm--and its limitations and possibilities--be your rock! Take the images that the lens will allow you to take, concentrating on image quality--yes, at the expense of some flexibility.

I've always found this to be a fun challenge. Also, I'm an inveterate weight-weenie/minimalist and hated carrying around multiple lenses when I'd go out on photo shoots.
Scarbo is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:18 AM
  #5321  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,521

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I am afraid the shooting will be a combination of long shots of the space and tight shots of the equipment and physical supports. That would say the recommendations so far are about right.

Maybe I should take the 50 with adapter in case I need 70 mm and the 17-50 mounted on the camera as you guys recommend. If I have to have f/1.4, I can remove the adapter from the 50.
I guess I'm still not understanding what the subject might be that you'd lean towards a 50mm or longer (plus crop ratio). Even if you're shooting equipment, the location is still the star of the show to me, and to bring that environmental stuff in to the frame, I probably wouldn't shoot anything tighter than ~35mm on a FF. To me, the ideal range in a place like that would be 16-35mm on FF.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:19 AM
  #5322  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,641

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,044 Times in 2,901 Posts
1 lens?

Heresy.
LAJ is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:22 AM
  #5323  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I guess I'm still not understanding what the subject might be that you'd lean towards a 50mm or longer (plus crop ratio). Even if you're shooting equipment, the location is still the star of the show to me, and to bring that environmental stuff in to the frame, I probably wouldn't shoot anything tighter than ~35mm on a FF. To me, the ideal range in a place like that would be 16-35mm on FF.
Hey, I'm agreeing with you. I just want the 50 for its speed in case that is needed. I agree that the workhorse will likely be the wide end of the 17-50. The 50 is certainly small enough to bring along as a backup.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:22 AM
  #5324  
Erik the Inveigler
 
Scarbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: The California Alps
Posts: 2,303
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
1 lens?

Heresy.

I know!
Scarbo is offline  
Old 04-28-17, 08:24 AM
  #5325  
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,320

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Back to photography. Refreshing. I understand none of it.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.