Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXV

Old 04-01-17, 08:17 PM
  #76  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Of course, any self respecting tech would say "I've done this before", and then watch the video in secret.....
Untrue. A self-respecting tech would lie about having done it before and NOT watch the video. There are standards to uphold.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 08:20 PM
  #77  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
And AG's comment (I do love that girl) was "go buy the one you really want, no regrets".
You do know it's a trick, right?
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 04-02-17 at 05:45 AM.
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 08:42 PM
  #78  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Does anyone know how to get out of hell? I'm at a wedding-like party, and I think I am going to lose my mind. It is actually a charity testimonial dinner. Speeches for a whole hour before the food was served. Then I got up to get a glass of wine, and they took away my plate. The music is so loud I just want to shoot myself. I'm sitting out in the foyer and still can hardly stand it. Mrs. rpen is having the time of her life. I am so screwed.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 09:07 PM
  #79  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,442

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28812 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,340 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I'm at a wedding-like party, and I think I am going to lose my mind.
Are you an introvert?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 09:25 PM
  #80  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 33,071

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12012 Post(s)
Liked 6,764 Times in 3,530 Posts
A Duck heartbreak.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 09:26 PM
  #81  
shaken, not stirred.
 
gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shaky Isles.
Posts: 5,255

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Does anyone know how to get out of hell? I'm at a wedding-like party, and I think I am going to lose my mind. It is actually a charity testimonial dinner. Speeches for a whole hour before the food was served. Then I got up to get a glass of wine, and they took away my plate. The music is so loud I just want to shoot myself. I'm sitting out in the foyer and still can hardly stand it. Mrs. rpen is having the time of her life. I am so screwed.
next thing you know, you'll be getting dragged to more and more of them. my advice. get really, really drunk and make a complete idiot of yourself. You'll never get invited back.
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
vBulletin: snafu
gnome is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 09:27 PM
  #82  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Are you an introvert?
Uh, how did you guess? A classic case. Although I hardly think not being able to tolerate loud music has much to do with that.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 09:28 PM
  #83  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
next thing you know, you'll be getting dragged to more and more of them. my advice. get really, really drunk and make a complete idiot of yourself. You'll never get invited back.
But getting drunk is so unpleasant. Trust me. I know. It is really a tough choice.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 09:31 PM
  #84  
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,590

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Heels!
Heathpack is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 09:51 PM
  #85  
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,320

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
But getting drunk is so unpleasant. Trust me. I know. It is really a tough choice.
Can you pretend to be drunk? I think gnome offered good advice.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 10:50 PM
  #86  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 56,681

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13766 Post(s)
Liked 4,576 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Untrue. A self-respecting tech would lie about having done it before and NOT watch the video. There are standards to uphold.
I watched the Sram eTap set-up video a few times, before building that Amira. But I have no self-respect.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-01-17, 10:57 PM
  #87  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 56,681

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13766 Post(s)
Liked 4,576 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Does anyone know how to get out of hell? I'm at a wedding-like party, and I think I am going to lose my mind. It is actually a charity testimonial dinner. Speeches for a whole hour before the food was served. Then I got up to get a glass of wine, and they took away my plate. The music is so loud I just want to shoot myself. I'm sitting out in the foyer and still can hardly stand it. Mrs. rpen is having the time of her life. I am so screwed.
Too bad I missed the opportunity to tell you to "suck it up" in real time.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.

Last edited by rjones28; 04-01-17 at 11:02 PM.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 03:07 AM
  #88  
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,138

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996
Like I had it on my dresser since I last used it. Someone, ahem, got pissed I leave stuff on my dresser and cleaned everything off. That was the last I seent it.
I thought IT might have fallen in a sewer with Pennywise!
Pirkaus is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 04:23 AM
  #89  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,517

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11000 Post(s)
Liked 4,682 Times in 2,151 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996
Like I had it on my dresser since I last used it. Someone, ahem, got pissed I leave stuff on my dresser and cleaned everything off. That was the last I seent it.
Really? That never happens in my house.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 05:22 AM
  #90  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Thought you were getting a 4Runner.
That was the plan. When I first started shopping 4Runners, though, I also test drove the GX (back-to-back, at a Carmax) and it's night and day - the Lexus is (of course) much nicer inside, quieter, has a more sophisticated suspension, looks better, the Lexus dealer is down the road from me (and awesome) while the Toyota dealers in town are all scum, and the V8 sounds amazing while the V6 sounds like rocks in a blender. Oh and the Lexus always has the SmartKey system (no metal part to puncture the bag it goes in while running) while you have to spend as much as I did on the Lexus on the top-end 4Runner to get that. Oh and full-time 4WD instead of paying extra for push-button.

And since it's based on the 4Runner (or rather, both are based on the ROW Land Cruiser Prado) it has everything I was looking for from the 4Runner. The 4Runner is like the FJ Cruiser that grew up and went to college and is almost as athletic while not being a dude-bro; the GX is like the 4Runner that went to law school and put on a fantastic suit. While also becoming an Ironman and rock climber, even if still lacking just a touch of raw ability.

Also, unless you get the top-end 4Runner, the white it has is a very basic, no-effect, no-clear-coat white. The Lexus white is a nice clearcoated pearl.

Yes I'm gushing. This is my favorite car I've ever owned.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 05:31 AM
  #91  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You do know it's a trick,'right?
In nearly four years she has never once done that to me. It's one of the reasons I was comfortable marrying her.

It helps that she liked the Lexus better too, I'm sure.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 05:54 AM
  #92  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That was the plan. When I first started shopping 4Runners, though, I also test drove the GX (back-to-back, at a Carmax) and it's night and day - the Lexus is (of course) much nicer inside, quieter, has a more sophisticated suspension, looks better, the Lexus dealer is down the road from me (and awesome) while the Toyota dealers in town are all scum, and the V8 sounds amazing while the V6 sounds like rocks in a blender. Oh and the Lexus always has the SmartKey system (no metal part to puncture the bag it goes in while running) while you have to spend as much as I did on the Lexus on the top-end 4Runner to get that. Oh and full-time 4WD instead of paying extra for push-button.

And since it's based on the 4Runner (or rather, both are based on the ROW Land Cruiser Prado) it has everything I was looking for from the 4Runner. The 4Runner is like the FJ Cruiser that grew up and went to college and is almost as athletic while not being a dude-bro; the GX is like the 4Runner that went to law school and put on a fantastic suit. While also becoming an Ironman and rock climber, even if still lacking just a touch of raw ability.

Also, unless you get the top-end 4Runner, the white it has is a very basic, no-effect, no-clear-coat white. The Lexus white is a nice clearcoated pearl.

Yes I'm gushing. This is my favorite car I've ever owned.
Enjoy it and drive it safely. The only nit I would pick is not with the car, but rather with your comparison. All main line, major brand cars are clear coated these days including the 4-Runner at all trim levels. There is simply no other paint process operating in the factory. Not having as elegant a color choice is another matter altogether.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 05:55 AM
  #93  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,178

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22702 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,208 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Does anyone know how to get out of hell? I'm at a wedding-like party, and I think I am going to lose my mind. It is actually a charity testimonial dinner. Speeches for a whole hour before the food was served. Then I got up to get a glass of wine, and they took away my plate. The music is so loud I just want to shoot myself. I'm sitting out in the foyer and still can hardly stand it. Mrs. rpen is having the time of her life. I am so screwed.
But a good husband, perhaps.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 06:03 AM
  #94  
Senior Member
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
But a good husband, perhaps.
The only revenge I take is to not tell her where I am. When she is ready to leave, she has to look all over and then finally call my cell phone to find me. Then It is okay. I think in future I will go for the cocktail hour, do the perfunctory meet and greet, and then skedaddle when the dinner chimes start. If I could miss the bad food, speeches and music, I wouldn't mind weddings, bar mitzvahs, and charity dinners at all. Her plan? Dunno. We'll see.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 06:33 AM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,637

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The only revenge I take is to not tell her where I am. When she is ready to leave, she has to look all over and then finally call my cell phone to find me. Then It is okay. I think in future I will go for the cocktail hour, do the perfunctory meet and greet, and then skedaddle when the dinner chimes start. If I could miss the bad food, speeches and music, I wouldn't mind weddings, bar mitzvahs, and charity dinners at all. Her plan? Dunno. We'll see.
It's all fake, everyone at those events is fake. And what's the point of weddings? They're going to divorce anyway.

When I hear someone is getting married? I ask, when is the divorce?

I too hate events of those type. I have no strategy to avoid them, the alternative consequences outweighs the suffering. I usually just use the events an excuse to force her to do something I want to do I know she doesn't.
zymphad is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 06:39 AM
  #96  
Peloton Shelter Dog
 
patentcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester, NY
Posts: 90,508

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Of course, any self respecting tech would say "I've done this before", and then watch the video in secret.....
Forget it I'll do it myself.
__________________
https://www.cotsiscad.com
patentcad is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 06:51 AM
  #97  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 56,681

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13766 Post(s)
Liked 4,576 Times in 2,528 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
It's all fake, everyone at those events is fake. And what's the point of weddings? They're going to divorce anyway.

When I hear someone is getting married? I ask, when is the divorce?

I too hate events of those type. I have no strategy to avoid them, the alternative consequences outweighs the suffering. I usually just use the events an excuse to force her to do something I want to do I know she doesn't.
Poor guy...
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 07:01 AM
  #98  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Enjoy it and drive it safely. The only nit I would pick is not with the car, but rather with your comparison. All main line, major brand cars are clear coated these days including the 4-Runner at all trim levels. There is simply no other paint process operating in the factory. Not having as elegant a color choice is another matter altogether.
On further look I had not quite had it right, only it is nit-picky: the Super White is a single-stage paint that has the clearcoat mixed in. The point still stands that it 1) looks much worse and 2) is much less durable. After a few years in the sun it can start to smear off to the touch, and reacts very poorly to even gentle hand-washing. This, to me, makes it a total no-go for a car intended for long-term use, and when Mom got her Rav4 I told her to get any color she liked except white (so she went for silver).
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 07:39 AM
  #99  
Senior Member
 
Herbie53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,621
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That was the plan. When I first started shopping 4Runners, though, I also test drove the GX (back-to-back, at a Carmax) and it's night and day - the Lexus is (of course) much nicer inside, quieter, has a more sophisticated suspension, looks better, the Lexus dealer is down the road from me (and awesome) while the Toyota dealers in town are all scum, and the V8 sounds amazing while the V6 sounds like rocks in a blender. Oh and the Lexus always has the SmartKey system (no metal part to puncture the bag it goes in while running) while you have to spend as much as I did on the Lexus on the top-end 4Runner to get that. Oh and full-time 4WD instead of paying extra for push-button.

And since it's based on the 4Runner (or rather, both are based on the ROW Land Cruiser Prado) it has everything I was looking for from the 4Runner. The 4Runner is like the FJ Cruiser that grew up and went to college and is almost as athletic while not being a dude-bro; the GX is like the 4Runner that went to law school and put on a fantastic suit. While also becoming an Ironman and rock climber, even if still lacking just a touch of raw ability.

Also, unless you get the top-end 4Runner, the white it has is a very basic, no-effect, no-clear-coat white. The Lexus white is a nice clearcoated pearl.

Yes I'm gushing. This is my favorite car I've ever owned.
I always feel the need to post this when someone buys a nice fancy SUV...

Herbie53 is offline  
Old 04-02-17, 07:40 AM
  #100  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,517

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11000 Post(s)
Liked 4,682 Times in 2,151 Posts
Just had an acquaintance ask me to download the Marco Polo app so he can send me a video message. Yeah, right, like I need another social media app.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.