Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nagging question: is "vulcanizing fluid" just plain old rubber cement?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nagging question: is "vulcanizing fluid" just plain old rubber cement?

Old 10-07-17, 01:54 PM
  #51  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,607
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3199 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Are you made mostly of plastic or of rubber?

I had heard Japan had come a long way with robotics,. but you had everyone here fooled.
Haha, Turing test be damned, they did it...
himespau is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 02:11 PM
  #52  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,280

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2933 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker View Post
I agree with you but want to point out that the sticky surface on the patch is not exactly a glue. It contributes to the bond by supplying the vulcanizing chemicals to the mix. The natural rubber in the cement is what becomes the real adhesive when activated by the vulcanizing chemicals. Then it chemically attaches to both the patch and the tube effectively bonding the patch to the tube.
Wait, we know that vulcanizing chemicals are on the patch? Then why/how could they be in the fluid to begin with? The fluid would just be rubber in solvent, with maybe some accelerant.

I don't know why this bugs me since I've had one flat to patch in the last 6 or 8 thousand miles, but for some reason I want to buy a lifetime supply of cement and bulk package of patches, and the cement has to be the "real" thing.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 02:14 PM
  #53  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,280

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2933 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Isn't the answer the lack of oxygen and this is shown by the way the tube gets rock hard fairly quickly after having been opened and the contents exposed to air?
But is the rock hard stuff inside vulcanized or not? Now I'm thinking it must be since just rubber would be softer ... unless they mix in some sort of actual glue. The unknowns are frustrating.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 02:34 PM
  #54  
f4rrest
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,986

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Wait, we know that vulcanizing chemicals are on the patch? Then why/how could they be in the fluid to begin with? The fluid would just be rubber in solvent, with maybe some accelerant.

I don't know why this bugs me since I've had one flat to patch in the last 6 or 8 thousand miles, but for some reason I want to buy a lifetime supply of cement and bulk package of patches, and the cement has to be the "real" thing.
Haha, same here.

I spent hours one night looking for a way to reliably carry true vulcanizing fluid in tiny reusable tubes, so I could make use of the incredible volume deal on rema patches.

E.g. sample perfume vials.
f4rrest is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 02:52 PM
  #55  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,280

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2933 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
Haha, same here.

I spent hours one night looking for a way to reliably carry true vulcanizing fluid in tiny reusable tubes, so I could make use of the incredible volume deal on rema patches.

E.g. sample perfume vials.
I have to ask, did that work? Or did you come up with something else?
wphamilton is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 04:40 PM
  #56  
f4rrest
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,986

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I have to ask, did that work? Or did you come up with something else?
I didn't follow through and buy the lot of perfume vials on eBay, because I realized that at the rate I flat (2 to 3 per year), it was just silly.

The Park flat kits are $3 each, so I just spend the $12 and replace the glue tubes in my repair kits as needed.

I do have quite a few extra patches, though.
f4rrest is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 04:44 PM
  #57  
Nachoman
well hello there
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Posts: 15,350

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 170 Posts
20171007_153945_resized by Nacho Neal, on Flickr
I don't know the answer, but this is what I use. The little tubes dry up way too quickly.
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 05:54 PM
  #58  
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match
 
GuitarBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,057

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I buy patches in bulk and have yet to buy small tubes in bulk, but I have had this lot of 10 tubes for $10 (shipped) in my ebay watch list for months:

Lot 10pcs Bicycle Tire Tube Patching Glue/Rubber Cement/Adhesive Puncture Repair

There are multiple listing like it, some for less.
GuitarBob is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 07:33 PM
  #59  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6555 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Isn't the answer the lack of oxygen and this is shown by the way the tube gets rock hard fairly quickly after having been opened and the contents exposed to air?
No, the vulcanizing reaction is not a free radical process. It has nothing to do with the presence or absence of oxygen. The hardness you are observing has to do with evaporation of the low boiling solvents.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 08:15 PM
  #60  
f4rrest
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,986

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob View Post
I buy patches in bulk and have yet to buy small tubes in bulk, but I have had this lot of 10 tubes for $10 (shipped) in my ebay watch list for months:

Lot 10pcs Bicycle Tire Tube Patching Glue/Rubber Cement/Adhesive Puncture Repair

There are multiple listing like it, some for less.
Unfortunately, they supply the rubber cement instead of vulcanizing fluid...
f4rrest is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 08:46 PM
  #61  
Jiggle
Senior Member
 
Jiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in TX
Posts: 2,266

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I did the same experiment and found that the Elmer's rubber cement did a very poor job in bonding the patches.
Jiggle is offline  
Old 10-07-17, 09:17 PM
  #62  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6555 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle View Post
I did the same experiment and found that the Elmer's rubber cement did a very poor job in bonding the patches.
Well, I guess concensus was too much to hope for. I didn't see any difference after about an hour.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 10-08-17, 05:14 AM
  #63  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,583

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6589 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 955 Posts
I bought a bunch of the little tubes of whatever comes in those little tubes, off Ebay .... no need to worry about buying special sealed containers, and no need to worry about the stuff drying out because if you buy six tubes for three dollars .... that's $20 in flat kits. Another couple bucks for patches and you have a five-ten year supply for five dollars.

However ... for those who cannot tolerate the fact that they cannot figure out why their tubes hold air .... I will gladly sell youo Certified magical Bicyckle Glue Patch Tire Adhesive---straight from Vulcan---and individual patches of Guaranteed Hi-Quality actual rubber-like rubber-compound rubber patch material--also imported from Vulcan---for approximately what it would cost you to buy a new tire and tube.

One cannot put a price tag on Peace of Mind. But I can send you a bill.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 10-08-17, 05:18 AM
  #64  
rpenmanparker 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rpenmanparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 28,682

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6555 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Frankly I think folks just like to get Rema-ed.
__________________
Robert

Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
No matter where I go, here I am...
rpenmanparker is offline  
Old 10-08-17, 08:47 AM
  #65  
f4rrest
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,986

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I bought a bunch of the little tubes of whatever comes in those little tubes, off Ebay .... no need to worry about buying special sealed containers, and no need to worry about the stuff drying out because if you buy six tubes for three dollars .... that's $20 in flat kits. Another couple bucks for patches and you have a five-ten year supply for five dollars.

However ... for those who cannot tolerate the fact that they cannot figure out why their tubes hold air .... I will gladly sell youo Certified magical Bicyckle Glue Patch Tire Adhesive---straight from Vulcan---and individual patches of Guaranteed Hi-Quality actual rubber-like rubber-compound rubber patch material--also imported from Vulcan---for approximately what it would cost you to buy a new tire and tube.

One cannot put a price tag on Peace of Mind. But I can send you a bill.
But what's actually in the little eBay tubes?

Maybe it's actually vulcanizing fluid but it's mislabeled due to a translation error...?
f4rrest is offline  
Old 10-08-17, 02:39 PM
  #66  
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match
 
GuitarBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,057

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
But what's actually in the little eBay tubes?

Maybe it's actually vulcanizing fluid but it's mislabeled due to a translation error...?
I'm wondering the same thing. Plus, according to Robert's assessment, which seems reasonable to me, it doesn't matter all that much. I'll eventually get some of the cheap tubes of goo, and see how it works for me.
GuitarBob is offline  
Old 10-08-17, 02:46 PM
  #67  
Jiggle
Senior Member
 
Jiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in TX
Posts: 2,266

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a can of vulcanizing cement, figured it would last me forever.

Like two weeks later my dad sees it and says that he tore a hole in his pool liner. Can he "borrow" my vulcanizing cement to patch it?

Never saw it again.
Jiggle is offline  
Old 10-08-17, 02:51 PM
  #68  
f4rrest
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,986

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle View Post
I bought a can of vulcanizing cement, figured it would last me forever.

Like two weeks later my dad sees it and says that he tore a hole in his pool liner. Can he "borrow" my vulcanizing cement to patch it?

Never saw it again.
Can you borrow his pool?
f4rrest is offline  
Old 10-08-17, 04:37 PM
  #69  
Jiggle
Senior Member
 
Jiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in TX
Posts: 2,266

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest View Post
Can you borrow his pool?
I borrowed his F250, then made the mistake of giving it back.
Jiggle is offline  
Old 10-08-17, 11:53 PM
  #70  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,583

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6589 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 955 Posts
Did you park it in his pool?
Maelochs is offline  
Old 11-05-17, 01:34 PM
  #71  
GreenBiker60
Green Biker
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ct
Posts: 8

Bikes: Cannondale sr400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ever try to contact a patch or glue manufacturer? Slime has NO cust svc #....
GreenBiker60 is offline  
Old 11-05-17, 05:08 PM
  #72  
Jiggle
Senior Member
 
Jiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in TX
Posts: 2,266

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Did you park it in his pool?
No but I farted on the seat.

I did another patch this weekend with the Elmers rubber cement. Roughed up the surface, dried for 24 hours. Peeled off with my finger. Just no good at all.
Jiggle is offline  
Old 11-05-17, 08:08 PM
  #73  
nycphotography
NYC
 
nycphotography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle View Post
No but I farted on the seat.

I did another patch this weekend with the Elmers rubber cement. Roughed up the surface, dried for 24 hours. Peeled off with my finger. Just no good at all.
I find this quite curious.

Would be very interested to see/watch what you are gluing to what and the exact process you are following.

Because I have excellent results w/ Elmers rubber cement, regular tubes, and Park patches.
nycphotography is offline  
Old 11-04-18, 11:58 AM
  #74  
SproutsChoppers
GlueSniffer
 
SproutsChoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1

Bikes: Green Machine Big Wheel trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like heat gun Idea

I'm repairing an inner tube and I like the heat gun Idea for warming the rubber and assisting the glue in attaching the rubber pieces together...going to give it a whirl...😊
SproutsChoppers is offline  
Old 11-05-18, 12:50 PM
  #75  
cthenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 2,604

Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 71 Posts
3 pages on rubber cement, TLDR, but I use Slime rubber cement. Came in one of those "standard size rubber cement" canisters, and cost me like $8. I'm sure it will dry up before I use it all, but the times I've used it, it's worked perfectly. Important part is getting the legitimate Rema patches though.
cthenn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.