Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-17, 01:49 PM   #26
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Bikes: 2009 Jamis Xenith, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo
Posts: 19,677
Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5110 Post(s)
Not even a question for me, top photo - it begs to be looked at and admired at length. Bottom one is nice, but nothing super special, IMO - it can be taken in with a glance.
WhyFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 04:06 PM   #27
FeltF2Tarmac 
Woman make me faster
 
FeltF2Tarmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2017 Specialized Diverge A1 Sport
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I could go either way for the paint but as stated the top paint jobis busy but itís also a great color combo. Maybe racy is a better word but it would be my choice of those two.
FeltF2Tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 08:03 PM   #28
Sy Reene 
Senior Member
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX
Posts: 2,875
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
it begs to be looked at and admired at length.
exactly why not
__________________
Crude and slow clansman, your attack was no better than that of a clumsy child..
Sy Reene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-17, 08:23 PM   #29
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Bikes: 2009 Jamis Xenith, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo
Posts: 19,677
Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
exactly why not
Okay.
WhyFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 09:48 AM   #30
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Thanks for the opinions guys. I continue to waffle, like Whyfi mentions, while perhaps busy, the hollatext paint job with the army green just has so much to look at and take in. I also find that the yellow on the seat stays really highlight the curves. The horizon paint job (striped) is beautiful in its simplicity and color choices. I have the paint guide and unless they offer something totally different I know it will be one of these two. My gut tells me to go with the simple horizon but my heart want the Hollatext.

Have the call with their front end manager today, then will make arrangements for travel. Seems like Sacha White (owner of Vanilla cycles) still does all the fittings so I’m hoping to get down there on November 28th before they leave on their New York fitting tour!
robbyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 10:50 AM   #31
goenrdoug
Senior Member
 
goenrdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Bikes: 2014 Supersix Evo 3, 2002 Trek 2000
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
They make some beautiful bikes and I have pinned numerous examples of their innovative paint schemes over on my pinterest... You have a difficult decision to make, my friend. I hope to get a look at the bike you eventually choose out in the desert some time amongst the Joshua trees..
goenrdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 11:02 AM   #32
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goenrdoug View Post
They make some beautiful bikes and I have pinned numerous examples of their innovative paint schemes over on my pinterest... You have a difficult decision to make, my friend. I hope to get a look at the bike you eventually choose out in the desert some time amongst the Joshua trees..
Yeah, lots to choose from, and it sucks that so many of their most beautiful paint schemes are from previous years. They have the light blue overt that was absolutely stunning (albeit that scheme ads just shy of $3k to the build

Are you up in the 29 Palms area? We go out there for riding every now and again. Do you ever do any riding down here?
robbyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 11:21 AM   #33
Wspsux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Jersey
Bikes: Big Block, Salsa Vaya, Trek 2.3
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
I would go for one of their invisible paint schemes but I can only afford their OG1. Its more likely I'll build a Gunnar w campy instead.
Wspsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 12:01 PM   #34
goenrdoug
Senior Member
 
goenrdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Southern California
Bikes: 2014 Supersix Evo 3, 2002 Trek 2000
Posts: 1,173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
Are you up in the 29 Palms area? We go out there for riding every now and again. Do you ever do any riding down here?
Just bought a house right on the edge of JT and Yucca. I've taken a few rides out into the park when I could get away from the many fixer-upper type projects around the place for the last few months.

I'd like to take some longer rides and learn some other routes (other than from my door to as far into the waterless park as I dare without tri-bike water bottle holders or something..
goenrdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 12:48 PM   #35
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wspsux View Post
I would go for one of their invisible paint schemes but I can only afford their OG1. Its more likely I'll build a Gunnar w campy instead.
The OG1 offers everything awesome about a Speedvagen if you like either of the two colors that they offer it with and if the Geometry works for you. This year it's also being offered as a frameset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenrdoug View Post
Just bought a house right on the edge of JT and Yucca. I've taken a few rides out into the park when I could get away from the many fixer-upper type projects around the place for the last few months.

I'd like to take some longer rides and learn some other routes (other than from my door to as far into the waterless park as I dare without tri-bike water bottle holders or something..
Sounds great! I don't know many routes there but I'm sure some of those that I ride with do. Maybe when you have some time shoot me a PM and we can chat about you joining one of the Desert Bicycle Club (DBC) rides that leave from Palm Desert. Some great people and riding here as well. Similarly, we go out there every now and again for a group ride in the park. Next time I'll shoot you a message.
robbyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 01:19 PM   #36
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 15,460
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
If I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with the second scheme.


Don't suppose they offer Cerakote finishing, do they?
indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 02:15 PM   #37
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
If I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with the second scheme.


Don't suppose they offer Cerakote finishing, do they?
I don't know, what is that? If you look at their guidebook I'm sure it would say
robbyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 02:17 PM   #38
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Alrighty, fitting is now booked for the afternoon of November 28th! I'm sure that once there I'll be able to see many of these schemes in the flesh and be able to make a decision along with any further customization they may offer. Working on my fit guide sheet now using my Domane as a guideline since it's been so good to me and professionally fit (albeit a few years ago).
robbyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 03:24 PM   #39
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 15,460
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
I don't know, what is that?
It's a ceramic finish. As far as I know, the primary consumer application is for coating/coloring firearms, but it is also used on exhaust systems and bikes. Cheaper than paint because it requires less labor. You spray it on and bake it in a over. Enve even lets you do the fork without voiding the warranty. Lighter than paint, because it requires only one coat and no primer. As tough or tougher than paint. Downside is that if you do damage it, there is no touch up available.


I had my custom Engin ti frame done in a custom mix of zombie green and gloss white. The builder of Engin frames had a custom blue mixed for him that has now become a popular color:


https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/...h169-sky-blue/
indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 04:50 PM   #40
Chi_Z
Senior Member
 
Chi_Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Bikes: Cannondale Supersix, Nishiki Prestige, S-Work Roubaix SL3
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
for ppl cannot afford customs these are not bad https://www.raleighusa.com/carlton-team-ti-3758
Chi_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 06:36 PM   #41
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
It's a ceramic finish. As far as I know, the primary consumer application is for coating/coloring firearms, but it is also used on exhaust systems and bikes. Cheaper than paint because it requires less labor. You spray it on and bake it in a over. Enve even lets you do the fork without voiding the warranty. Lighter than paint, because it requires only one coat and no primer. As tough or tougher than paint. Downside is that if you do damage it, there is no touch up available.


I had my custom Engin ti frame done in a custom mix of zombie green and gloss white. The builder of Engin frames had a custom blue mixed for him that has now become a popular color:


https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/...h169-sky-blue/
Very cool thanks! Iíll ask about it
robbyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 06:42 PM   #42
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Z View Post
for ppl cannot afford customs these are not bad https://www.raleighusa.com/carlton-team-ti-3758
I used to have a Raleigh made with 753 in the late 80ís, beautiful frameset and would definitely recommend.

The key (for me at least) with this bike is that I wanted a modern steel frame and not a vintage one.
robbyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 12:38 PM   #43
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Well time for a thread update!

I flew to Portland on Tuesday morning for an afternoon fit with Sacha (Founder of Vanilla and Speedvagen). Incredible experience, great wisdom on bike fit, balance, and contact points. Although I had sent my current bike specs and measurements there were quite a few changes overall, especially between my positioning between the two wheels. The end position on the fitting bike felt comfortable, incredibly neutral at all contact points, yet aggressive at the same time, very cool. Took about 2.5 hours for the fit. Petty as it may seem, I really was hoping to not have a heavily sloping top tube like I do currently (I'm only 5'7). When I saw the final design on CAD it looked great and I was surprised to find out that it did have a slope but only about 3 degrees.

Got a tour of the shop, very compact, simple and beautifully maintained. I took a couple of pics that I'll share below. I didn't get any of the paint room (but did of some of the masking room and detail area). Nor of the assembly area but they had two amazing mechanics, one working on a complete build and the other on some beautiful wheel building. Everybody was incredibly friendly and had no problem showing me how they fit into the picture. My main contact with the company has been their incredible manager Jenn. Like so many small shops the front of the house folks do a bit of everything, from design to web order implementation, marketing, etc.

On the paint, I found out that they only use liquid paint no powder, nor any decals whatsoever. Everything is done with masking and base layers. All the frames in various levels of completion were as lustrous (the gloss ones) as the images appear online or on Pintrest. For those with carbon seat tubes the paint also "flexes" a bit at the joints. They do have some type of protection for those in harsh climates which I thought was pretty cool.

My build; I ended up going with the Horizon paint scheme as shown on the first page of this thread but opted for gloss instead of matte. They also mocked up a couple of variations using some colors for 2018 that they're playing with. All amazing but I decided I liked the first one more. I think I would have liked the Army green with holla text too, but just really liked the brightness and simplicity of the Horizon.

I upgraded to a painted to match Pro Stealth Bar/Stem combo, Enve Carbon Seatpost topper painted to match, Enve Carbon Seat Tube, Frame changes for DI2 wiring, and of course their beautiful custom Seat tube mounted battery system with cap. Signed off on everything, picked up a jersey, and am now in queue to potentially start build in about 2 weeks for completion in about 10 weeks. Given my size and weight I was also offered the option for the Envy 1.0 fork but at that point my budget was depleted since I went with the carbon seat tube. Very excited!

Now some pics:

Little welcome sign in the changing room

[IMG][/IMG]

Front area, they call it the non-sexy spot. Marketing, small inventory of gear, bibs, jerseys, demo bikes, etc. Also meeting room and fitting area up front.



Masking area, paint room not visible but adjacent



Tubing stash. They do bend, and shape tubing for each bike based on spec. I didn't take any pics of their Jigs but they were also really cool



Frames in various states. The painted ones were sent in for crash repair or touch up which puts you at the front of the line.



Welding area. The front frame has a dummy jig in place of the seat tube since it will be receiving a carbon one.


Last edited by robbyville; 11-30-17 at 12:49 PM.
robbyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 12:54 PM   #44
MidTNBrad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Franklin, TN
Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Very cool!
MidTNBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 01:19 PM   #45
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 15,460
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad View Post
Very cool!
Touring a custom frame shop is a cool experience. I went to Bilenky's place to see if they would widen the holes of a rear custom rack so I could retrofit it to a new bike. The place was organized chaos, in part because they were constructing a paint shop. I had to wonder whether any of their customers would have looked elsewhere had they seen the shop before they ordered their bikes. It's also not in the best of areas. At the end of a dead end street literally up against the tracks and next to a used auto parts business (i.e., junk yard). You should search for "Bilenky Cycle Works" on Google Maps and take a look at it on Street View. I thought I was lost when I drove there. But they were great people, hooked me up, offered me a piece of pastry and refused to take any money. When I insisted, a guy threw out the seemingly random number of $9. I opened my wallet to discover that it contained a grand total of 9 $1 bills.


The flip side was when I got a tour of the Engin shop from the owner/builder. Much more orderly. He has a different machine for each part of the frame. One is a lathe from Department of the Navy dating back to the 50s. He had also recently purchased a C&C mill so he could start making his own dropouts and such. I went back a couple other times and got to see my frame in various states of construction.
indyfabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 01:22 PM   #46
Caliwild
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I like the bottom one. It will age better IMO. Congrats!




Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
Agreed. Although most stock bikes have done relatively well for me they did require a lot of fitting and changes. Still, Iím looking forward to finding out how much of a difference a custom build will feel. Iíve only seen one Speedvagen in the flesh and it wasnít my size, but Iíve never heard someone as reserved as the owner gush so much about the ride.

Since Iím still not completely set on paint scheme, Iím curious what you folks think of either of these two...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Caliwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 01:24 PM   #47
Caliwild
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I guess I should have finished reading the thread before I responded! DUH!
Caliwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 07:14 PM   #48
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Bikes: Trek Domane 5 series, Dura Ace 9070, November Rail 52's
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Touring a custom frame shop is a cool experience. I went to Bilenky's place to see if they would widen the holes of a rear custom rack so I could retrofit it to a new bike. The place was organized chaos, in part because they were constructing a paint shop. I had to wonder whether any of their customers would have looked elsewhere had they seen the shop before they ordered their bikes. It's also not in the best of areas. At the end of a dead end street literally up against the tracks and next to a used auto parts business (i.e., junk yard). You should search for "Bilenky Cycle Works" on Google Maps and take a look at it on Street View. I thought I was lost when I drove there. But they were great people, hooked me up, offered me a piece of pastry and refused to take any money. When I insisted, a guy threw out the seemingly random number of $9. I opened my wallet to discover that it contained a grand total of 9 $1 bills.


The flip side was when I got a tour of the Engin shop from the owner/builder. Much more orderly. He has a different machine for each part of the frame. One is a lathe from Department of the Navy dating back to the 50s. He had also recently purchased a C&C mill so he could start making his own dropouts and such. I went back a couple other times and got to see my frame in various states of construction.
Yeah I see your point. The shop was pretty well organized overall. They make about 200 bikes per year which includes about 20 "Ready made" bikes where when they have time in the schedule they'll batch make a few stock sizes, and then paint them once ordered as part of their "OG1" program which has 2 choices of paint (This year was Citron or Army green with their basic ghost graphic). These are sold at reasonable prices and include all of the features that make Speedvagens desirable bikes. The shop was in an ok area of Portland. Not bad at all but certainly not downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliwild View Post
I guess I should have finished reading the thread before I responded! DUH!
LOL, no worries I need constant validation
robbyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 07:54 PM   #49
cydewaze
Emondafied
 
cydewaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Maryland
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 4,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Argh, I want one of these now!
__________________

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
cydewaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 08:14 PM   #50
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match
 
GuitarBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: 5
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Great stuff, thanks for posting!
GuitarBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION