Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Type of bike for trainer?

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Type of bike for trainer?

Old 11-30-17, 05:15 PM
  #1  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Type of bike for trainer?

So I just purchased a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine fluid trainer. If you had the choice of hooking up either a nice carbon framed bike, a vintage steel bike, a single-speed steel bike, or a beater aluminum road bike, which would you use? From my limited search on the forum, it seems like the single-speed is not a good idea. And I don't think I'd want to put stress on my carbon frame. So, would you do a modern aluminum bike with modern Shimano or a vintage steel bike with Campy? Any advantage/disadvantage to either? Am I overthinking it?! Thanks in advance...
Caliwild is offline  
Old 11-30-17, 05:21 PM
  #2  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,705

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2876 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,321 Posts
I think you're overthinking it. A trainer doesn't put any more stress on a frame than riding it on the road. Also, your trainer doesn't care who makes your shifters or how many gears your bike has.

But as between frame materials, I'd either go with CF or Al over steel. Because I always sweat a ton on the trainer (no matter how many fans I have going) and sweat is going to have bigger corrosive effect on a steel bike.
caloso is offline  
Old 11-30-17, 05:24 PM
  #3  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Didn't think of that... thanks! Wouldn't want my lovely Italian steel corroding!




Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I think you're overthinking it. A trainer doesn't put any more stress on a frame than riding it on the road. Also, your trainer doesn't care who makes your shifters or how many gears your bike has.

But as between frame materials, I'd either go with CF or Al over steel. Because I always sweat a ton on the trainer (no matter how many fans I have going) and sweat is going to have bigger corrosive effect on a steel bike.
Caliwild is offline  
Old 11-30-17, 06:34 PM
  #4  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,705

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2876 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,321 Posts
Yeah. I'm sure someone will pop on here to say that it shouldn't make a difference if it's fully painted and you make sure to wipe it down after every ride, but you'll never get it perfectly wiped down and paint is never perfect. It's just not worth it if it's a frame you care about.
caloso is offline  
Old 12-01-17, 01:29 PM
  #5  
RPK79
Custom User Title
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Posts: 11,239

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
It shouldn't make a difference if it's fully painted and you make sure to wipe it down after every ride.
RPK79 is offline  
Old 12-01-17, 01:46 PM
  #6  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34,210
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15540 Post(s)
Liked 9,555 Times in 4,683 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
It shouldn't make a difference if it's fully painted and you make sure to wipe it down after every ride.
But you'll never get it perfectly wiped down and paint is never perfect.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 12-01-17, 02:05 PM
  #7  
RPK79
Custom User Title
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Posts: 11,239

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
But you'll never get it perfectly wiped down and paint is never perfect.
Well, that's just ludicrous. I've never heard such a statement before. Ever.
RPK79 is offline  
Old 12-01-17, 04:19 PM
  #8  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,738

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 447 Posts
Whichever bike you are most likely to feel comfortable riding.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 12-01-17, 04:48 PM
  #9  
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport
 
FlashBazbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,288
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 92 Posts
Some manufacturers of carbon frames say that using the bike on an indoor trainer is "abuse" and that it, therefore, voids the warranty. BMC is one of those manufacturers and my primary road bike and TT bike are both BMC's.


For that reason, I have a cheap aluminum bike that I use on the trainer. It cost less than a lot of trainers cost. And it works.
FlashBazbo is offline  
Old 12-01-17, 07:36 PM
  #10  
kbarch
Senior Member
 
kbarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
...Also, your trainer doesn't care who makes your shifters or how many gears your bike has.
How much can you vary resistance? What he says may be true, but you may care what gears it has - I wouldn't want a compact setup or anything too easy.
kbarch is offline  
Old 12-01-17, 07:48 PM
  #11  
Larry77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Western PDX
Posts: 210

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Focus Izalco, Focus Mares CX, BMC GF02, Giant VT3 MTB (upgraded), Felt Brougham SS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it's nice to have a bike that just lives on the trainer, but maybe that's because I'm lazy and I like to have my bikes set up the way I am going to ride them (ie rain bike with fenders, #1 bike with saddle bag on). I was a little nervous at first about my carbon frame but I talked to our local carbon repair shop who repairs bike frames from all over the country and they said they nearly never have to repair a frame from damage sustained while on a trainer. I'm not one to stand up and mash on my trainer but I know some do...
Larry77 is offline  
Old 12-01-17, 09:32 PM
  #12  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,705

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2876 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch View Post
How much can you vary resistance? What he says may be true, but you may care what gears it has - I wouldn't want a compact setup or anything too easy.
My fluid trainer increases resistance the faster you pedal, so it mimics the resistance you would feel on the road. So even if you rode a FG on the trainer, it increases the resistance. I donít know if magnetic ones do the same. Donít some of them have cable switches to change resistance?

Obviously, you would have a much bigger range with a geared bike, so I see your point.
caloso is offline  
Old 12-01-17, 09:54 PM
  #13  
gregf83 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,201
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch View Post
How much can you vary resistance? What he says may be true, but you may care what gears it has - I wouldn't want a compact setup or anything too easy.
A Kurt Kinetic will not be 'easy' with a compact. I think 300W is around 34kph.
gregf83 is offline  
Old 12-02-17, 07:01 AM
  #14  
kbarch
Senior Member
 
kbarch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
A Kurt Kinetic will not be 'easy' with a compact. I think 300W is around 34kph.
Actually, I'm sure it's 0kph.

Seriously, though - it sounds like what kind of bike/gearing you want to use may depend on what kind of trainer you have. For instance, some trainers (most?) you use the wheel and cassette that are on your bike already, other trainers you take the rear wheel off and use the cassette that's on the trainer (that's the only type I've had occasion to use).

Then there are rollers - I know there are some where you can vary resistance, but for ordinary ones where you can't, if you want to crank out the watts without getting all spastic, 50/11 may not be big enough - which is why I prefer to use the race bike on the rollers. And of course since it's not rigidly attached to anything, I don't have to worry about the CF getting stressed out.
kbarch is offline  
Old 12-02-17, 08:24 AM
  #15  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,832

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 1,190 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I think you're overthinking it. A trainer doesn't put any more stress on a frame than riding it on the road.
Dubious claim IMO. Riding on the road, there isn't anything clamped and localized to a 1" square area (rear skewer head) that's completely stopping the bike from making natural left/right rocking movements.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 12-02-17, 09:12 AM
  #16  
f4rrest
Farmer tan
 
f4rrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 7,986

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
I've used both my bikes extensively on a KK trainer. I don't do standing sprints.

Aluminum and CF.

No problems with either of them.

Just use the provided steel skewer.
f4rrest is offline  
Old 12-02-17, 10:21 AM
  #17  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,832

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 1,190 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
Some manufacturers of carbon frames say that using the bike on an indoor trainer is "abuse" and that it, therefore, voids the warranty. BMC is one of those manufacturers and my primary road bike and TT bike are both BMC's.


For that reason, I have a cheap aluminum bike that I use on the trainer. It cost less than a lot of trainers cost. And it works.
probably all manufacturers have an out if they want to use it from warranty perspective (and likely not just related to carbon though), in similar vein to BMC's or Trek's, exclusion eg.
"Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the bicycle as sold"
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 12-04-17, 10:01 AM
  #18  
Caliwild
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 819
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I guess I'll just throw on my most beat-up bike...
Caliwild is offline  
Old 12-04-17, 10:06 AM
  #19  
RPK79
Custom User Title
 
RPK79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SE MN
Posts: 11,239

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo View Post
Some manufacturers of carbon frames say that using the bike on an indoor trainer is "abuse" and that it, therefore, voids the warranty. BMC is one of those manufacturers and my primary road bike and TT bike are both BMC's.


For that reason, I have a cheap aluminum bike that I use on the trainer. It cost less than a lot of trainers cost. And it works.
I find this funny since when I went to a Wahoo / Zwift event at one of my Local LBS Shops they had a BMC hooked up to one of the Kickrs.
RPK79 is offline  
Old 12-04-17, 10:15 AM
  #20  
ksryder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,549

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
It shouldn't make a difference if it's fully painted and you make sure to wipe it down after every ride.
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
But you'll never get it perfectly wiped down and paint is never perfect.
I love you guys.
ksryder is offline  
Old 12-04-17, 10:23 AM
  #21  
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels
 
sdmc530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,124

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Put the beater on there. I have my old beater road bike on mine and just leave it there. Never take it off. Then have my "good" bike for outdoor riding. No complaints. Also a good way to use up tires not good enough for the road.

congrats on the trainer, Kurt is awesome, I love mine. A very good investment IMO.
sdmc530 is offline  
Old 12-05-17, 06:00 PM
  #22  
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster
 
FeltF2Tarmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 676

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Take a look at the “carbon frame creaking on trainer” thread. I was told by a Specialized support guy it’s ok but the way the warranty is spelled out says otherwise. Sure you might get a break on a new frame but fact is they were not designed to be stationary, locked into a roller by the skewer. Wouldn’t matter if the bike didn’t have a warranty like a used bike. This is the number one reason I would never buy a used carbon bike. Unlike a crash that would most likely leave some evidence, the damage from a trainer could be undetectable. My Carbon bike has never seen a trainer and never will.
FeltF2Tarmac is offline  
Old 12-05-17, 06:10 PM
  #23  
ddub
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is there any data out that proves damage from trainer? Any particular frame material prone to certifiable damage? I'm too lazy to research it.
ddub is offline  
Old 12-05-17, 08:35 PM
  #24  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,705

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2876 Post(s)
Liked 2,867 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by FeltF2Tarmac View Post
Take a look at the ďcarbon frame creaking on trainerĒ thread. I was told by a Specialized support guy itís ok but the way the warranty is spelled out says otherwise. Sure you might get a break on a new frame but fact is they were not designed to be stationary, locked into a roller by the skewer. Wouldnít matter if the bike didnít have a warranty like a used bike. This is the number one reason I would never buy a used carbon bike. Unlike a crash that would most likely leave some evidence, the damage from a trainer could be undetectable. My Carbon bike has never seen a trainer and never will.
Huh. Every racer I know spends a fair amount of time on his or her race bike attached to a trainer, even if all they use the trainer for is warming up for races.
caloso is offline  
Old 12-05-17, 11:27 PM
  #25  
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster
 
FeltF2Tarmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 676

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
Huh. Every racer I know spends a fair amount of time on his or her race bike attached to a trainer, even if all they use the trainer for is warming up for races.
Doesnít mean itís good for the frame. Fact is if not having a warranty is no issue neither is riding it on a trainer. Not everyone can drop $3-5 grand on a frame or even replace an entry level carbon frame because of what would be considered abuse or at the least unintended use. Itís really a comical argument because on one end of the spectrum is the higher cost for minimal gains coupled with no one needs an expensive bike. Pay attention to torque values blah blah blah. But itís ok to strap said expensive bike into a device that puts undo strain in ways not intended.
I was told, have read and seen what a trainer can do so I will go with the manufactures recommendation. The recommendation to not use a trainer. Felt BMC and Specialized are some mentioned and I suspect Most do recommend not using a trainer. Just because a brand sells a trainer on their website doesnít mean an endorsement on using it. Trek is a great example of this. Go figure.

Last edited by FeltF2Tarmac; 12-05-17 at 11:49 PM.
FeltF2Tarmac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.