Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

XXL/size 52 shoe covers for rain. Do they exist?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

XXL/size 52 shoe covers for rain. Do they exist?

Old 12-05-17, 01:36 AM
  #1  
Sullalto
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,206

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
XXL/size 52 shoe covers for rain. Do they exist?

Having trouble finding anything that fits. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sullalto is offline  
Old 12-05-17, 02:29 AM
  #2  
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 7,048
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Go find a dive shop and have some made. Look for a shop that sews neoprene in the shop. We have one in Eugene, and we're just a small city sixty miles inland, so I assume there are others.

Lucky me, my feet are relatively tiny (only size 51), so I did find that some of the XXL sizes could be just barely stretched to fit over my shoes. They don't last very long because of the extreme stretching required, but they're cheaper than the dive shop guy was going to charge me. That said, I'm thinking about having him make me some new ones next year.

In the meantime, you could do what I resorted to several years ago. I used metalic bubble-wrap held together by duct tape. The owner of my LBS said it looked like I had kicked a pile of garbage and it stuck, but it did the job.
B. Carfree is offline  
Old 12-05-17, 03:11 PM
  #3  
Sullalto
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,206

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
Go find a dive shop and have some made. Look for a shop that sews neoprene in the shop. We have one in Eugene, and we're just a small city sixty miles inland, so I assume there are others.

Lucky me, my feet are relatively tiny (only size 51), so I did find that some of the XXL sizes could be just barely stretched to fit over my shoes. They don't last very long because of the extreme stretching required, but they're cheaper than the dive shop guy was going to charge me. That said, I'm thinking about having him make me some new ones next year.

In the meantime, you could do what I resorted to several years ago. I used metalic bubble-wrap held together by duct tape. The owner of my LBS said it looked like I had kicked a pile of garbage and it stuck, but it did the job.
Hmm. I'm almost certain there's a dive shop in town. That's an idea.

But does anybody know anything that would be off the shelf?
Sullalto is offline  
Old 12-05-17, 04:09 PM
  #4  
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found some XXL Bellweather Neoprene shoe covers that fit over my sz 50 mega Sidis a while ago. I'm sure you can find something. I think the new Shimano S-phyre covers also seem to go up to 50. At 52 tho you may be looking at customs..
qqy is offline  
Old 12-05-17, 04:39 PM
  #5  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 455 Posts
GripGrab goes up to 3XL.

They are responsive to email so I would not hesitate to send them a note.

Unfortunately they don't ship to the US but are available through Wiggle.
TimothyH is offline  
Old 12-06-17, 12:19 PM
  #6  
Metis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't tried them, pickup some Velotoze. They are fragile but can last a long time if used with talcum powder and the base doesn't get scuffed up on the concrete. They're basically just a giant whoopee cushion so they will stretch over just about any shoe - I know a lot of guys that wear a large w/ size 12 shoes. I'm sure the largest size would fit over your size 52.

Does the heel of your foot ever hit the chain stays?!
Metis is offline  
Old 12-07-17, 12:55 AM
  #7  
Sullalto
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,206

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Metis View Post
Does the heel of your foot ever hit the chain stays?!
If I'm on platform pedals, yeah, it's not uncommon. I tend to move my foot around a lot though.
Sullalto is offline  
Old 12-11-17, 12:09 PM
  #8  
gabeham206
Senior Member
 
gabeham206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mukilteo, WA
Posts: 63

Bikes: 2012 Tarmac, 2016 Emonda sl5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager makes up to a XXL. They fit my size 52/Wide Lake cycling shoes nicely.
gabeham206 is offline  
Old 12-12-17, 11:05 PM
  #9  
evan326
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: RVA
Posts: 514

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 6 Tiagra + 2016 Cannondale CAAD 12 Dura Ace

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metis View Post
If you haven't tried them, pickup some Velotoze. They are fragile but can last a long time if used with talcum powder and the base doesn't get scuffed up on the concrete. They're basically just a giant whoopee cushion so they will stretch over just about any shoe - I know a lot of guys that wear a large w/ size 12 shoes. I'm sure the largest size would fit over your size 52.

Does the heel of your foot ever hit the chain stays?!
I bought their largest size and they are SUPER tight on my size 47, they are very fragile also.
evan326 is offline  
Old 12-12-17, 11:30 PM
  #10  
Sullalto
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cascadia
Posts: 1,206

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gabeham206 View Post
Bontrager makes up to a XXL. They fit my size 52/Wide Lake cycling shoes nicely.
Do you find the lake shoes are wide enough? I often wear 15 2e or 4e. I have shimano mountain shoes in wide right now, and they don't hurt. But I'd definitely prefer a wider toebox. Heel is fine.
Sullalto is offline  
Old 12-13-17, 08:15 PM
  #11  
Silvercivic27
Senior Member
 
Silvercivic27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,435

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Found them!
Silvercivic27 is offline  
Old 12-14-17, 03:30 PM
  #12  
gabeham206
Senior Member
 
gabeham206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mukilteo, WA
Posts: 63

Bikes: 2012 Tarmac, 2016 Emonda sl5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto View Post
Do you find the lake shoes are wide enough? I often wear 15 2e or 4e. I have shimano mountain shoes in wide right now, and they don't hurt. But I'd definitely prefer a wider toebox. Heel is fine.
Yes, They are very wide. I believe mine are the cx217 model. Picked them up online for $90 or so.
gabeham206 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
abhirama
Road Cycling
15
03-08-13 12:31 AM
AdenM
Northern California
0
01-10-13 05:54 AM
jlp1976
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
5
03-06-12 05:22 PM
EdIsMe
Road Cycling
18
02-09-12 07:37 PM
plowmanjoe
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
15
09-13-10 03:53 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.