Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized calls for the Future Shock assembly to be replaced every 500 hours

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized calls for the Future Shock assembly to be replaced every 500 hours

Old 07-02-18, 12:54 PM
  #176  
Banzai
Jet Jockey
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 4,909

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Heh. That’s why it’s called “Future Shock”. Some good truth-in-advertising with that name.
Banzai is offline  
Old 07-03-18, 08:57 AM
  #177  
waters60
Senior Member
 
waters60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 45 Posts
I am leery of contemplating a bike with built in problems. I have a tendency to treat my posessions well and make them last for a long time. My 26 YO Merckx Century has been an amazing bike. Is it realistic to expect Future Shock assemblies to be available in 20 years?
I would love to hear some feedback on how this bike climbs, both in and out of the saddle. Those are critical characteristics.
waters60 is offline  
Old 07-03-18, 05:28 PM
  #178  
sirkaos
Senior Member
 
sirkaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 138

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60 View Post
I am leery of contemplating a bike with built in problems. I have a tendency to treat my posessions well and make them last for a long time. My 26 YO Merckx Century has been an amazing bike. Is it realistic to expect Future Shock assemblies to be available in 20 years?
I would love to hear some feedback on how this bike climbs, both in and out of the saddle. Those are critical characteristics.
I don't notice it at all in/out of the saddle climbing the hills in SoCal. I don't feel like the FS takes energy away from me to reduce hill climbing efficiency. Take a test drive, and see how you feel.
As far as the longevity of the FS, that is hard to say. I have not seen any wear or had any issues with mine, and I regularly service mine and it is not hard at all.
sirkaos is offline  
Old 09-15-18, 02:45 PM
  #179  
one4smoke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 2,155

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 210 Posts
Anyone know if Specialized has done any changes to the FS from 2018 to 2019 models?
one4smoke is offline  
Old 01-04-19, 09:20 PM
  #180  
twowheelsonecam
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purchase Location?

Originally Posted by Hunterdog View Post
I purchased a 2018 Roubaix last fall. Not sure I'm really worried about getting the cartridge when it wears out(not sure how to keep track of the hours though). I am a little annoyed that I didn't know about the need to replace the cartridge before I purchased the bike; I was on the fence between the Roubaix and a Domane and it would have been one more thing to think about. After reading about the issue here I did contact my LBS who sold me the bike and they had no idea about the need to replace. Just to be safe I ordered a replacement cartridge.
I am finding these threads today, I have the 2018 carbon comp model. I purchased mine mid summer, with no tune up but weekly care. I have put around 2k miles on and going to get a tune up. My only issue so far has been a creek in my headset. I rode probably 60% dirt. I have noticed my sprint has softened, but to a comfortable suit for a guy 130lbs lol. I have taken some hard knocks in its use so far as well lol. I would like to pick up two or three cartridges. If it keeps this thing moving for the next three years I'm sure alternatives will be there then. They appear hard for me to find new. Thanks for the hope they exist lol!
twowheelsonecam is offline  
Old 11-13-19, 04:37 PM
  #181  
bikera
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$330 for an FS Cartridge?!

I've ridden my '18 Roubaix for about 300hrs. and figured it might be a good idea to get a spare FS cartridge given that the 1.0 version is not what's used on the latest Roubaix (and who knows how long Specialized will have these available). However, unlike the $55 cost I originally read about and the $85 reported earlier in this thread, my LBS quoted me $330 (which they said came directly from Specialized). Has anyone else recently attempted to buy one of these and what was the cost?

Last edited by bikera; 11-13-19 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo
bikera is offline  
Old 11-13-19, 05:40 PM
  #182  
Chi_Z
Senior Member
 
Chi_Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 507

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 50 Posts
there is a reason lauf fork was invented, no moving parts = no service
Chi_Z is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 06:17 AM
  #183  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,756

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4173 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by bikera View Post
I've ridden my '18 Roubaix for about 300hrs. and figured it might be a good idea to get a spare FS cartridge given that the 1.0 version is not what's used on the latest Roubaix (and who knows how long Specialized will have these available). However, unlike the $55 cost I originally read about and the $85 reported earlier in this thread, my LBS quoted me $330 (which they said came directly from Specialized). Has anyone else recently attempted to buy one of these and what was the cost?
$1/hour seems fair
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 06:37 AM
  #184  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,332

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Turner 5-Spot, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 1,972 Times in 1,097 Posts
There is a term for a suspension fork with service interval of 500 hours requiring a $55-$85 part and $30 worth of shop labor:

“Low maintenance”

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-14-19 at 08:23 AM.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 06:50 AM
  #185  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z View Post
there is a reason lauf fork was invented, no moving parts = no service
A suspension fork, with no moving parts?
noodle soup is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 07:53 AM
  #186  
Chi_Z
Senior Member
 
Chi_Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 507

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
A suspension fork, with no moving parts?
the suspension is created by flexing of glassfiber but you only get 30mm of travel
Chi_Z is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 08:52 AM
  #187  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z View Post
the suspension is created by flexing of glassfiber but you only get 30mm of travel
I know the fork. It’s a joke.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 09:42 AM
  #188  
bikera
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
$1/hour seems fair
Don't disagree. I'm just trying to understand these wildly varying cost quotes for the same part (which were all sourced from Specialized).

Originally Posted by Kapusta View Post
There is a term for a suspension fork with service interval of 500 hours requiring a $55-$85 part and $30 worth of shop labor: “Low maintenance”
Don't disagree other than I was quoted $330 for the part alone and I'm just trying to see if anybody else has bought a replacement FS cartridge and what they paid for it (my next step will be to call Specialized about this though in the past they would not quote part prices to me).
bikera is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 10:07 AM
  #189  
Sapperc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 143

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
3 versions of the future shock already exist. They are not interchangeable according to Specialized, although one forum member said in a previous thread that his LBS swapped out a 1.5 for a 2 which was Indeed provided and authorized by Specialized. So there is no no official upgrade path. Others have stated that they have extended the life with maintenance alone (disassembly, lube, rebuild), although that may not be the official position at Specialized for worn parts.

There are brands that don’t use proprietary parts, but Specialized never had been one of them. Obviously, parts will not be available at some point in the future.

To that end, Future shock is a misstep by Specialized.
Sapperc is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 10:31 AM
  #190  
bikera
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sapperc View Post
3 versions of the future shock already exist. They are not interchangeable according to Specialized, although one forum member said in a previous thread that his LBS swapped out a 1.5 for a 2 which was Indeed provided and authorized by Specialized. So there is no no official upgrade path. Others have stated that they have extended the life with maintenance alone (disassembly, lube, rebuild), although that may not be the official position at Specialized for worn parts.

There are brands that don’t use proprietary parts, but Specialized never had been one of them. Obviously, parts will not be available at some point in the future.

To that end, Future shock is a misstep by Specialized.
Understood and before I bought the bike I was aware that this proprietary system might be an issue and was also aware of the supposed 500hr. replacement schedule (though at that time the cost of a new FS cartridge was supposedly $55). I have the '18 Roubaix which uses the original FS 1.0 and all I want to get is a replacement 1.0 shock cartridge...I'm not trying to do any upgrades (though, near as I can tell, the 1.5 version uses the same undamped design of the 1.0 and, for all I know, it will work just fine in my '18 Roubaix). Will call Specialized soon to see if they will tell me anything useful (my previous experiences are that they generally don't like to talk to John Q. Public directly).
bikera is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 10:42 AM
  #191  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,869
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15633 Post(s)
Liked 3,101 Times in 2,309 Posts
Originally Posted by bikera View Post
Don't disagree. I'm just trying to understand these wildly varying cost quotes for the same part (which were all sourced from Specialized).

Don't disagree other than I was quoted $330 for the part alone and I'm just trying to see if anybody else has bought a replacement FS cartridge and what they paid for it (my next step will be to call Specialized about this though in the past they would not quote part prices to me).
I think the $1 per hour was meant to be a joke. But, one should point out that cycling isn't entirely free. Especially as one gets into the high-end stuff.

So, say 5000 miles and one replaces > $100 worth of tires. Maybe a few tubes. 1000 to 3000 miles and a new chain. A bit more and a new cassette... etc

As far as actually finding the part... I see quite a few interchangeable springs, but the actual full shock kits seem to be exceedingly rare online.

I did find this one:
https://www.amaincycling.com/special...500034/p754277

Listed price of $255, with a note saying "Discontinued Online" (which may be a way of saying that Specialized will only sell a common proprietary repair part through their distributor network).

I am seeing 3 of the kits in E-Bay's sold listings, so I presume they pop up once a month or so. Not bad if you're looking to stock up on parts for preventative maintenance.

Keep in mind that shops may have a 100% markup on any part that they sell. So, if a shop is selling a part for $330, it could well have cost them $150. Perhaps even less. And, of course, the manufacturer makes big bucks on replacement parts.

How different is the first gen parts from the second gen parts? Interchangeable? Perhaps same head tube, and new fork & shock?

Keep in mind, Cannondale went down this same path with the "silk road/path headshok". And new replacement parts are just not available anywhere.
CliffordK is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 10:48 AM
  #192  
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,332

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Turner 5-Spot, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 1,972 Times in 1,097 Posts
Originally Posted by bikera View Post
Don't disagree other than I was quoted $330 for the part alone and I'm just trying to see if anybody else has bought a replacement FS cartridge and what they paid for it (my next step will be to call Specialized about this though in the past they would not quote part prices to me).
Yeah, $330 is pretty outrageous. If that is the case, this would be a non-starter for me. That's like having to replace an entire rear shock on a MTB every 500 hrs.

However, to put this maintenance into perspective, here is are the recommended fork service intervals for Fox and Rock Shox.

Keep in mind that the recommended damper and spring services (every 100 hrs for all Fox, and 100 hrs for some RS, 200 for others) involve new seals and wipers, and the last time I bought one for my RS fork it was $40. And every lower leg service (30 hs for Fox, 50 for RS) takes oil, and every so often a new crush washer.

It really comes down to what they will charge for the replacement cartridges and how long they support them. The latter is hard to know. My past experience with suspension products is a mixed bag. I can still get full re-build kits for my 2004 Pike, 2007 Reba, and 2013 Lyrik (all RS). On the other hand, Manitou stopped supporting my 2001 X-vert Super a year after I bought it new.

I am going to guess that Specialized is smart enough to know that if they crap the bed on supporting these FSs, they are going to lose a lot of sales in a couple years when people start to need to service them. We'll see. They have a long history of using screwy proprietary rear shock sizes, I may be worth asking around MTBR to see how long they supplied re-build kits for those.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 12:00 PM
  #193  
bikera
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I think the $1 per hour was meant to be a joke. But, one should point out that cycling isn't entirely free. Especially as one gets into the high-end stuff....
Understood and I bought the bike expecting to replace the FS cartridge every 2-3yrs. (which at the time was supposedly gonna cost me $55 for the part). What's bugging me is the ever-increasing and wildly varying prices for this item without any published info from Specialized about the "list price" of this item. Perhaps the AMain $255 price is a good starting point but that leads me to wonder why folks have found these for $85 or less from their LBS's (or so it would seem). I will call Specialized to see if they can give me some helpful information about this since I certainly won't spend $330 on an item that others were quoted between $55 to $125 for this item from their LBS's.

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
...I am seeing 3 of the kits in E-Bay's sold listings, so I presume they pop up once a month or so. Not bad if you're looking to stock up on parts for preventative maintenance....
I searched eBay and can only find the FS springs (not the cartridge). What did you use as the search text?
bikera is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 02:40 PM
  #194  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,337

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by bikera View Post
Understood and before I bought the bike I was aware that this proprietary system might be an issue and was also aware of the supposed 500hr. replacement schedule (though at that time the cost of a new FS cartridge was supposedly $55). I have the '18 Roubaix which uses the original FS 1.0 and all I want to get is a replacement 1.0 shock cartridge...I'm not trying to do any upgrades (though, near as I can tell, the 1.5 version uses the same undamped design of the 1.0 and, for all I know, it will work just fine in my '18 Roubaix). Will call Specialized soon to see if they will tell me anything useful (my previous experiences are that they generally don't like to talk to John Q. Public directly).

Owner of a 2018 Expert here and never having had an issue I took bike to my LBS to service the HS at a time well beyond the 500hr suggestion. Will be watching for an UP-DATE by you.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 02:54 PM
  #195  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 4,609
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 310 Posts
FWIW, I think (I do not know) that the $350ish (US) amount for a new FS cartridge may refer to the FS 2.0 one, which is entirely different as many here will know, with proper full-hydraulic damping.

My FS 1.0 cartridge on my new (June) bike was defective from the get-go, and replaced under warranty. To my great good fortune, Specialized sent my LBS a 2.0 cartridge (which is fantastic). My LBS folks mentioned, in passing, that this was a $500 (Cdn) retail replacement part.
badger1 is online now  
Old 11-14-19, 05:24 PM
  #196  
Witterings
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Witterings, West Sussex
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Hate to say it but some people suggested there may be problems / cost issues with this months back and the service intervals required .... along with replacement part cost and availability in the future as it was an untested product.

Those that did question it got jumped all over by those that had probably dived in blind ... be interesting to see how it pans out but it's the sole thing that stopped me buying what on the surface looked great product .... but with Specialized's service schedule just looked like a train crash waiting to happen.

Good luck to anyone that has one and I genuinely hope the replacement parts don't cost you anywhere near that .... unless you were one of the ones that jumped on anyone that dared to questioned other peoples reservations it in the 1st place as there were quite a few that were very "strong" with their opinions.
Witterings is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 07:28 PM
  #197  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,756

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4173 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I think the $1 per hour was meant to be a joke.
Yes it was.. sorry I shoulda used an emoji but I'm not japanese.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 09:01 PM
  #198  
one4smoke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 2,155

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
FWIW, I think (I do not know) that the $350ish (US) amount for a new FS cartridge may refer to the FS 2.0 one, which is entirely different as many here will know, with proper full-hydraulic damping.

My FS 1.0 cartridge on my new (June) bike was defective from the get-go, and replaced under warranty. To my great good fortune, Specialized sent my LBS a 2.0 cartridge (which is fantastic). My LBS folks mentioned, in passing, that this was a $500 (Cdn) retail replacement part.
So upgrading from a 1.0 to a 2.0 is indeed doable? What about from the 1.5 to 2.0?
one4smoke is offline  
Old 11-14-19, 09:24 PM
  #199  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 4,609
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke View Post
So upgrading from a 1.0 to a 2.0 is indeed doable? What about from the 1.5 to 2.0?
'I don't know' re. other Specialized bikes is my general answer. What I do know is this: my '19 Sirrus X Comp (flat bar road bike) came stock with a FS 1.0 cartridge; it was/is the Diverge version (progressive spring rate) of the 1.0, and was defective.

It was replaced under warranty with a FS 2.0 (not 1.5, not 1.0) cartridge, as seen e.g. on the top-end 2020 Roubaix. According to my LBS, it was an unproblematic straight swap. I believe there was one small spacer (or something) that couldn't be used, but that had more to do with the dedicated stems that the new Roubaix come with. Other than that, no issues. It looks as if the bike came stock with it.

What I can say: the FS 2.0 is superb. It works exactly as advertised in my bike, is utterly silent and smooth in operation.

badger1 is online now  
Old 11-14-19, 09:50 PM
  #200  
bikera
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I think the $1 per hour was meant to be a joke....
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
Yes it was.. sorry I shoulda used an emoji but I'm not japanese.
I actually thought it was a good and insightful joke....
bikera is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.