Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike fitting question

Old 04-04-18, 09:28 AM
  #1  
RubenAlonzo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RubenAlonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Laredo, Tx
Posts: 78

Bikes: Scott Aspect 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike fitting question

Hello Everyone, my question is whenever I see GCN videos or cycling videos, their bikes all have seat posts that are raised kinda high up, and mine rests practically full bottomed out on the seat post. Is this because my bike frame is too big for me? I did not get a pro type bike, it came from Academy. I can almost flat foot the bike with both feet when i stand over the top tube straddling the bike.
RubenAlonzo is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 10:17 AM
  #2  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,333

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
The big important thing is are you comfortable on it and can ride it safely? You can get yourself bogged down in all the different fit standards and chase recommendations, guidelines and standards forever without finding complete agreement.

So if it comfortable and safe, I think you are good to go. Eventually you might find that you aren't able to perform to some level you think you should. But that's not going to be right away if you just started biking seriously. Then you can change components or even change bikes to get what suits you at that time.

Are you comfortable on it now?
Iride01 is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 11:04 AM
  #3  
RubenAlonzo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RubenAlonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Laredo, Tx
Posts: 78

Bikes: Scott Aspect 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
The big important thing is are you comfortable on it and can ride it safely? You can get yourself bogged down in all the different fit standards and chase recommendations, guidelines and standards forever without finding complete agreement.

So if it comfortable and safe, I think you are good to go. Eventually you might find that you aren't able to perform to some level you think you should. But that's not going to be right away if you just started biking seriously. Then you can change components or even change bikes to get what suits you at that time.

Are you comfortable on it now?
Thank you for the reply, yes I am comfortable on it now, i changed the seat, and the only other change I would make is perhaps to get a riser for the bars BUT that could be that i am still fairly new to road bikes and am used to a far more upright position, like a beach cruiser style.

I do ride now on average about 50 miles a week and am still developing my form,cadence etc. but i really do enjoy the road bike far more than my old beach cruiser. I only was wondering if my frame is too big as my seat post sits practically bottomed out, and most every road bike ive seen the seats are far higher up on the post.
RubenAlonzo is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 11:25 AM
  #4  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,678

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2277 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by RubenAlonzo View Post
I can almost flat foot the bike with both feet when i stand over the top tube straddling the bike.
Yeah, that's the sign of a little bit too big of a frame for a conventional fit. General advice is flat foot plus a little room over the top tube.
Seat post all the way in is another sign of a little too big for a conventional fit.
But if you're comfortable and your leg extends most of the way on the down stroke (knee *almost* straight), it's probably not too far off.
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 11:50 AM
  #5  
RubenAlonzo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RubenAlonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Laredo, Tx
Posts: 78

Bikes: Scott Aspect 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Yeah, that's the sign of a little bit too big of a frame for a conventional fit. General advice is flat foot plus a little room over the top tube.
Seat post all the way in is another sign of a little too big for a conventional fit.
But if you're comfortable and your leg extends most of the way on the down stroke (knee *almost* straight), it's probably not too far off.

Thanks, it reinforces my thought that the frame is just a tad too big for me. my leg almost completely is full extended, though if i use my heel to test it, then my hips rock, so i guess it is just a bit too big. Thank you!
RubenAlonzo is offline  
Old 04-04-18, 12:53 PM
  #6  
Iride01
Senior Member
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,333

Bikes: '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Can you return it? When you talked about having to get a riser for the bars I was suspicious that maybe in fact it was too big a frame, but the heel to pedal when seated thing kind of clinches it.

I'm thinking though you said it was comfortable, it is only for very short rides. Maybe around the neighborhood. But road bikes are meant (IMO) for fast paced riding and a short ride on a road bike is 20 to 30 miles.

So yeah, in that respect, you'll likely be hurting. The frame is too big.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 04-05-18, 02:22 AM
  #7  
RubenAlonzo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RubenAlonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Laredo, Tx
Posts: 78

Bikes: Scott Aspect 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
Can you return it? When you talked about having to get a riser for the bars I was suspicious that maybe in fact it was too big a frame, but the heel to pedal when seated thing kind of clinches it.

I'm thinking though you said it was comfortable, it is only for very short rides. Maybe around the neighborhood. But road bikes are meant (IMO) for fast paced riding and a short ride on a road bike is 20 to 30 miles.

So yeah, in that respect, you'll likely be hurting. The frame is too big.

I took her out Easter Sunday for a long ride and after a few miles my hands were hurting from putting too much pressure, I know im over-extended on the frame but though she feels comfortable, that comfort fades fast on anything over 3 miles. No, I cant return it but I was only out $169 + tax so it was not too dear of a lesson to learn. I am thinking of going to my LBS and buying a Scott Speedster 40, Diamondback Century or Specialized Allez here in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you all for the input!

Last edited by RubenAlonzo; 04-05-18 at 02:49 AM.
RubenAlonzo is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
lineinasong
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
9
06-06-15 07:32 PM
Fiji__speed
Fitting Your Bike
5
06-10-14 07:04 PM
SewHelpMe
Fitting Your Bike
27
07-25-13 08:03 PM
Rocket-Sauce
Road Cycling
4
05-11-13 07:20 AM
jim p
Fifty Plus (50+)
12
10-12-12 12:49 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.