Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIII

Old 01-05-19, 01:37 PM
  #226  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,286

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8523 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus View Post



Was this a super recovery ride? Is it that you weigh sub-40kgs? You may want to do an advanced spin down on your Snap, in the Wahoo app.
I have done a spindown. If the Smart trainer is to be believed, an easy/recovery ride for me is around 100W. Moderate effort is 150W. Hard is 200W. I can do 300W but only for a brief surge like a minute. Dialing it to 400W can be done but only for 15-30 seconds.

I don’t know how accurate these “watts” are but I imagine they are in the ballpark. My weight is around 65-66 Kg.
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Better to just stay out of the 41
datlas is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 02:13 PM
  #227  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,692

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I couldn't weigh 65 kgs if I wanted to. I would be happy around 80 kgs, but winter wool is closer to 88
Pirkaus is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 03:00 PM
  #228  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 3,785

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Oh?
Would you believe Tree Rollins?
DougRNS is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 03:53 PM
  #229  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 16,765

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6188 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 38 Posts
Finished up a fun commando ride through the streets, back alleys, urban trails, cemetery, etc. 55º which is a good 25º above normal. 4th ride this week and I think the coldest was ~40º and all have been in sunshine with little wind.

__________________
Dennis T

Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 03:58 PM
  #230  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,249

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did an outside ride today. First really nice day since before Thanksgiving. It was a "group" ride of about 20 people. I went WAY too deep in the HR zones. Like 50 minutes at threshold. But since I weigh so much and am so weak, I was still amazingly slow. Got 23-ish miles including the ride to/from the start point.

It was a blast either way and I got to connect with an old friend and get together for lunch afterwards, so it was worth the effort.

But it is interesting to see Strava's power and calorie "estimates" after getting in some work on the smart trainer. They are so crazy off. Makes me want to get a PM for the bike, but the I remember that none of the budget options fit on my frame/crank arm setup. That and I shouldn't take any of this that seriously.

And they may be fake miles, but thanks to zwifting, I've done about 79 miles total this week. That's better than the zero miles from the previous 8 or 10 weeks.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 04:13 PM
  #231  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 1,391

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today I drove a YouHaul full of stuff out to our new house at the beach, and we unloaded it this afternoon Painters are about 2/3 done repainting our house back in town, so we are actually a bit ahead of schedule. Getting a truckload of stuff out of the house helped the painters a lot in that it got stuff out of their way.

No Zwift miles yet this year. Loading and unloading a truck ought to count for something, but I don't know how to Strava it. Fitbit thinks I climbed 43 stories of stairs today - must have been a low-pressure front going through.
ericy is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 05:15 PM
  #232  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 25,408

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6125 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Finished up a fun commando ride through the streets, back alleys, urban trails, cemetery, etc. 55º which is a good 25º above normal. 4th ride this week and I think the coldest was ~40º and all have been in sunshine with little wind.

This is turning out to be a warm, snowless, boring winter.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 05:18 PM
  #233  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 25,408

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6125 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy View Post
Today I drove a YouHaul full of stuff out to our new house at the beach, and we unloaded it this afternoon Painters are about 2/3 done repainting our house back in town, so we are actually a bit ahead of schedule. Getting a truckload of stuff out of the house helped the painters a lot in that it got stuff out of their way.

No Zwift miles yet this year. Loading and unloading a truck ought to count for something, but I don't know how to Strava it. Fitbit thinks I climbed 43 stories of stairs today - must have been a low-pressure front going through.
Where’s the beach house?
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 05:37 PM
  #234  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 3,785

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Finished up a fun commando ride through the streets, back alleys, urban trails, cemetery, etc. 55º which is a good 25º above normal. 4th ride this week and I think the coldest was ~40º and all have been in sunshine with little wind.

wth? It was only 55 here. I want my money back. Sad!
#FreezingMyAssOff
DougRNS is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 05:38 PM
  #235  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 3,785

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
Did an outside ride today. First really nice day since before Thanksgiving. It was a "group" ride of about 20 people. I went WAY too deep in the HR zones. Like 50 minutes at threshold. But since I weigh so much and am so weak, I was still amazingly slow. Got 23-ish miles including the ride to/from the start point.

It was a blast either way and I got to connect with an old friend and get together for lunch afterwards, so it was worth the effort.

But it is interesting to see Strava's power and calorie "estimates" after getting in some work on the smart trainer. They are so crazy off. Makes me want to get a PM for the bike, but the I remember that none of the budget options fit on my frame/crank arm setup. That and I shouldn't take any of this that seriously.

And they may be fake miles, but thanks to zwifting, I've done about 79 miles total this week. That's better than the zero miles from the previous 8 or 10 weeks.

Trainer miles are people too.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 05:41 PM
  #236  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,286

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8523 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 53 Posts
Mrs datlas is on a rampage. She made me go through my drawers and get rid of any clothes items I never wear. I know she is right, but it’s hard to chuck stuff. She even got into my cycling clothing drawer. Sad!
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Better to just stay out of the 41
datlas is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 05:51 PM
  #237  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 3,785

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 things:

1. @rjones28 is MIA, must be counting inventory.
2. @datlas needs to set boundaries and draw the line at the cycling drawer.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 06:02 PM
  #238  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 25,408

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6125 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Mrs datlas is on a rampage. She made me go through my drawers and get rid of any clothes items I never wear. I know she is right, but it’s hard to chuck stuff. She even got into my cycling clothing drawer. Sad!
Oh my! Ruthlessness!
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 06:10 PM
  #239  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,388

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 42 Posts
Mrs. @datlas lives in my head.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 06:30 PM
  #240  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 44,928

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6067 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
2 things:

1. @rjones28 is MIA, must be counting inventory.
2. @datlas needs to set boundaries and draw the line at the cycling drawer.
Home stretch on inventory counting.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 06:30 PM
  #241  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 44,928

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6067 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Also, it was sunny today. So, much outside time with Benson.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 06:30 PM
  #242  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,286

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8523 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Mrs. @datlas lives in my head.
She is channeling Marie Kondo. Sad!
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Better to just stay out of the 41
datlas is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 06:31 PM
  #243  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 44,928

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6067 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Power was out for a few hours here last night. No BF then either.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 06:39 PM
  #244  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,286

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8523 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Power was out for a few hours here last night. No BF then either.
No BF?
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Better to just stay out of the 41
datlas is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 06:43 PM
  #245  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 44,928

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6067 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post

No BF?
Didn't want to run down the battery on my phone.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 07:07 PM
  #246  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 3,785

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taking the edge off with this tonight. An Australian red blend. Prolly a Shiraz-Cabernet dominated blend. At first tasting, it is not a typical fruit bomb that many Aussie wines tend to be.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 07:44 PM
  #247  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,388

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post

She is channeling Marie Kondo. Sad!
So, do baggy, transparent, shorts really give you joy?
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 07:56 PM
  #248  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,286

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8523 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post

So, do baggy, transparent, shorts really give you joy?
possibly, if on the right person.
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Better to just stay out of the 41
datlas is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 07:59 PM
  #249  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna VA
Posts: 1,391

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post

Where’s the beach house?
Rehoboth Beach, DE.
ericy is offline  
Old 01-05-19, 08:45 PM
  #250  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 3,785

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just dropped some coin on this jacket.

DougRNS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.