Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIII

Old 04-01-19, 06:48 AM
  #5251  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,276

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8512 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Spring paid us a weekend visit and is now gone.
Sad.
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 06:48 AM
  #5252  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,276

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8512 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 52 Posts
Hey @indyfabz I was riding through Kimberton yesterday and thought about your ex. I hope she is doing better. Do we know?
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 07:26 AM
  #5253  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 44,916

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6062 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
You don't win the golden snowball award, or whatever it's called, by ceasing snowing in March.
We need to catch up. We're way behind the average and like six inches behind Buffalo. Sad.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.

Last edited by rjones28; 04-01-19 at 07:29 AM.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 07:27 AM
  #5254  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 44,916

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6062 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Spring paid us a weekend visit and is now gone.
Same
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 07:31 AM
  #5255  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 44,916

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6062 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 29 Posts
We got about an inch of snow last night.

#marginalgains
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 07:37 AM
  #5256  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,276

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8512 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 52 Posts
Looks like the Phillies are on a roll. I am told they are the only undefeated team in MLB.

So when does the big choke come??
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 07:38 AM
  #5257  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,457
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8590 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Hey @indyfabz I was riding through Kimberton yesterday and thought about your ex. I hope she is doing better. Do we know?
Thanks. Went to visit her on Saturday and spoke with her yesterday. She's not well. Still is in pain, has headaches and is dizzy. Trouble finding the right words. She's under observation by someone 24/7, even if it's just someone sitting in the room watching TV. At least the aide will leave and wait outside the door when she has visitors. She's not allowed to go from the wheelchair to the bed without assistance. And if she wants to eat, a nurse or nursing assistant has to be present. Regular aide's presence is insufficient. I am going to pop in this evening after work.

I never realized how large Magee on 15th & Race is. There was one room that was being guarded by two uniformed Philly cops. Visitors cannot leave the floor without a pass code you have to punch into a keypad at the exit.

BTW...The accident happened on St. Mathew's Rd. shortly before it ends at Pughtown Rd.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 07:46 AM
  #5258  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,457
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8590 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post

So when does the big choke come??
The other night I was talking to someone knowledgeable about baseball. He said that, because of their lack of very strong pitching, the team's model is to win games by beating up on other teams, winning the 8-5 games and the like. They only have one bullpen pitcher with playoff experience. And Pivetta is their No. 2 starter. That's doesn't say much for their pitching.

Don't know if you watched Saturday, but the Braves walked Harper with two men on to load 'em up so they could pitch to Hoskins, who then hit a grand slam. It's going to be exciting if they can keep a very good hitter behind Harper.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 07:56 AM
  #5259  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,276

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8512 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Thanks. Went to visit her on Saturday and spoke with her yesterday. She's not well. Still is in pain, has headaches and is dizzy. Trouble finding the right words. She's under observation by someone 24/7, even if it's just someone sitting in the room watching TV. At least the aide will leave and wait outside the door when she has visitors. She's not allowed to go from the wheelchair to the bed without assistance. And if she wants to eat, a nurse or nursing assistant has to be present. Regular aide's presence is insufficient. I am going to pop in this evening after work.

I never realized how large Magee on 15th & Race is. There was one room that was being guarded by two uniformed Philly cops. Visitors cannot leave the floor without a pass code you have to punch into a keypad at the exit.

BTW...The accident happened on St. Mathew's Rd. shortly before it ends at Pughtown Rd.
Magee is a fantastic place. It is big. I did a rotation through there when I was at Jefferson. I hope she has a decent recovery. It's the best place for her to get rehab.

I know that intersection and actually rode by it during yesterday's ride. I did not see any errant dogs. Must have been a freak accident.
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 07:58 AM
  #5260  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 16,021

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4442 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The other night I was talking to someone knowledgeable about baseball. He said that, because of their lack of very strong pitching, the team's model is to win games by beating up on other teams, winning the 8-5 games and the like. They only have one bullpen pitcher with playoff experience. And Pivetta is their No. 2 starter. That's doesn't say much for their pitching.

Don't know if you watched Saturday, but the Braves walked Harper with two men on to load 'em up so they could pitch to Hoskins, who then hit a grand slam. It's going to be exciting if they can keep a very good hitter behind Harper.
That's always been the Rockies plan, until ol Bud came along, and decided people actually can pitch at this altitude. We have some strong bats, as well as some strong starting pitching. We spent money on relievers last year, but we're not sure how well that's working out.
__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.
LAJ is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:03 AM
  #5261  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,276

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8512 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 52 Posts
I thought good pitching beats good hitting, so isn't this NOT a winning strategy?
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:06 AM
  #5262  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22,457
Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8590 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I know that intersection and actually rode by it during yesterday's ride. I did not see any errant dogs. Must have been a freak accident.
I have to assume the dog's owner is taking stronger precautions--now.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:11 AM
  #5263  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 24,842

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8883 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Slow morning. Everyone must be still in bed and ruing.
I was freezing my ass off on my morning ride in VA.

WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:14 AM
  #5264  
seedsbelize 
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,275
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Looks like the Phillies are on a roll. I am told they are the only undefeated team in MLB.

So when does the big choke come??
They have Bryce Harper now. There will be no choke.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:19 AM
  #5265  
seedsbelize 
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,275
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
I am now ruing that I didn't jump out of bed and onto the bike. It will be a hot ride when I finally get going.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:20 AM
  #5266  
seedsbelize 
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,275
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
@Indyfabz
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:24 AM
  #5267  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 25,402

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6123 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
We need to catch up. We're way behind the average and like six inches behind Buffalo. Sad.
They do have the advantage by being closer to the lake. They should offer a handicap or something.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:31 AM
  #5268  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 25,402

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6123 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I thought good pitching beats good hitting, so isn't this NOT a winning strategy?
Yeah but at some point you gotta play with what you got. Great pitching doesn't grow on trees, fortunately, or else everybody would be complaining that the game is too dull, not enough hitting.

You can't please sports fans.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:41 AM
  #5269  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,276

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8512 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I was freezing my ass off on my morning ride in VA.

Colder than Minnesota?

Did you go ride with Dan?
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:42 AM
  #5270  
seedsbelize 
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,275
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Yeah but at some point you gotta play with what you got. Great pitching doesn't grow on trees, fortunately, or else everybody would be complaining that the game is too dull, not enough hitting.

You can't please sports fans.
And you can't fool Mom.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:53 AM
  #5271  
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE
 
jtaylor996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,040

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've come back from a hiatus to tell you all that I have cancer.
jtaylor996 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 08:54 AM
  #5272  
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE
 
jtaylor996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,040

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got cancer just now while reading the comments on a facebook post about a cyclist hit and killed in my local area. RIP.

Also, RIP humanity.
jtaylor996 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 09:03 AM
  #5273  
seedsbelize 
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 11,275
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
I have made a point of keeping that to myself. At least on this thread.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 09:03 AM
  #5274  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 28,276

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 385 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8512 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I've come back from a hiatus to tell you all that I have cancer.
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I got cancer just now while reading the comments on a facebook post about a cyclist hit and killed in my local area. RIP.

Also, RIP humanity.
Is this April Fool's or real?!?
__________________
Originally Posted by RUOkie View Post
never underestimate the idiocy of BF.
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 09:11 AM
  #5275  
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE
 
jtaylor996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 5,040

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2920 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Is this April Fool's or real?!?
I don't know. You're my internet doctor. What's the prognosis?
jtaylor996 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.