Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Food for thought - Vegan/Vegetarian/Healthy Options

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Food for thought - Vegan/Vegetarian/Healthy Options

Old 01-10-19, 09:43 AM
  #51  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
There is no apples to oranges here.

- the vegetarian follows a dietary plan of plant based food.
- the 'typical person' follows a dietary plan of...whatever. That is their dietary plan. If they have coffee and toast in the mornings, get fast food each lunch, and have homecooked dinners each evening- thats their dietary plan.
Wrong. The 'typical person' doesn't follow a plan. That was the whole point of my post. If you're going to compare vegetarians with non-vegetarians, you need to compare them with people following other specific diets. Mindfulness is key.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
With that said, just because someone is a vegetarian doesnt mean they necessarily eat healthy. Sugar is vegetarian and have a vegetarian friend who eats as unhealthy as anyone I know.
Of course its all about the specific dietary plan.
I would say that the typical US vegetarian's diet is healthier than the typical US adult's diet.
Yep.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
That isnt comparing apples to oranges.
Nope. See above.
OBoile is online now  
Old 01-10-19, 09:57 AM
  #52  
mstateglfr
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,016

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '87 Schwinn Prelude, '90 Fuji Saratoga, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2805 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Wrong. The 'typical person' doesn't follow a plan. That was the whole point of my post. If you're going to compare vegetarians with non-vegetarians, you need to compare them with people following other specific diets. Mindfulness is key.
Yeah...i guess I just disagree. A lack of formal plan doesnt mean a person's diet cant be compared to that of a person who does follow a specific dietary plan(or lifestyle).
If Tom has toast for breakfast, fast food for lunch, and home cooked dinners- thats his dietary plan. It might be lacking in areas and overly abundant in other areas, but its his diet and if he is aware of what he is eating then its effectively his dietary plan. Meaning if he is educated as to what he is eating and choosing to eat it, then its a dietary plan and can be compared to a different dietary plan/lifestyle.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 10:07 AM
  #53  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Yeah...i guess I just disagree. A lack of formal plan doesnt mean a person's diet cant be compared to that of a person who does follow a specific dietary plan(or lifestyle).
If Tom has toast for breakfast, fast food for lunch, and home cooked dinners- thats his dietary plan. It might be lacking in areas and overly abundant in other areas, but its his diet and if he is aware of what he is eating then its effectively his dietary plan. Meaning if he is educated as to what he is eating and choosing to eat it, then its a dietary plan and can be compared to a different dietary plan/lifestyle.
You may want to read this:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/best-diet-ever_b_6629850

Any person doing vegetarian/vegan/aktins/paleo etc. are automatically paying attention, to some degree, to what they eat. This has been shown to be beneficial.

Many people in the general population do not do this.

Making a comparison, without controlling for a key explanatory variate, is not good statistical practice.
OBoile is online now  
Old 01-10-19, 10:45 AM
  #54  
jackb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Billings, Montana
Posts: 473

Bikes: Trek Domane 5SL Disc; REI Mazama; Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest that you eat real food in modest quantities. As for working 12 or more hour per day, that would be up to you. You are in control of how you live and eat.
jackb is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 02:36 PM
  #55  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7438 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling View Post
Vegans are mentally unstable people whom one should avoid associating with. I have learned this the hard way from dating vegans. Don't become a soy boy. Human beings are omnivores by nature, and your body will not work as well if you eat an unnatural diet.
Iodized salt isn't natural. Microwaves aren't natural. Heavily processed, hyper palatable, calorically dense food isn't natural. Neither is refrigeration. Or berries in winter.

The fastest known times on the triple crown trails are held by a vegan. She hiked an average of 45 miles per day, with a mile of vertical. I think counts as a body working very well. I would love to see how you compare with the help of meat though, if you want to put your money where your mouth is.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 02:46 PM
  #56  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,313

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5346 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
If Tom has toast for breakfast, fast food for lunch, and home cooked dinners- thats his dietary plan.
Not if he didn't PLAN it.

That's his DIET, yes ... that is what he eats. But if he just grabs whater, and never thinks about nutrition, his overall calorie consumption, when and how he eats, what he needs fuel for on any given day ... it isn't a "Plan," even if he eats the same thing every day.

That is the distinction being made.

"Plan" can mean "program, or "pre-considered course of action," or "researched choice of options" or it can mean "existing state"---as in "the plan of this house," as in a floor plan---it shows where the rooms are, the doors and halls, but doesn't Predict anything--it is one meaning of "Plan."

But obviously the meaning of "plan" being referenced here is one that involves present considerations applied to future actions ... not merely an overview of existing conditions.

You can compare anything ... a scrapped Yugo to the International Space Station---which is better for camping? For the comparison to yield useful information, the comparison needs to be crafted with more care.

A person who eats by rote, or in reaction to physical or psychological urges, and doesn't consider what to eat except according to what's immediately pleasing or easily available, is Not "planning."

I eat basically no meat and haven't for years (sometimes my wife brings home a few slices pepperoni pizza left over from a group lunch at work and I eat that---I haven't Bought meat or fish or any kind of flesh in 40 years. I do eat yogurt, cheese, and sometimes eggs--so I am not trying to say I am a "vegetarian," as though that were in some way better.) When I go shopping, I have to buy A.) what I like to eat and B.) what will give me the necessary nutrition. Protein can be an issue--I have to have enough non-meat protein sources in the refrigerator or pantry so that when I want to eat, i have what i need---and I have to consider what i need.

When I was extremely active ans a sort of fitness nut, I had to shop and eat pretty carefully because I could only eat so much at any one meal and I was burning a Lot of calories. Everything I ate Had to be providing me with what I needed or I would have suffered.

That is planning. To get what I need, I need to plan, to have a plan.

People who just eat whatever, don't have to plan. Often they are slightly malnourished, and at the same time over-fed. Most people get more protein than they need by a huge margin, and most people eat a lot of wasted calories---calories providing nutrients they do Not need---excess dietary fat, excess protein, and for a lot of people excess calories.

If you compare them to a person who actually considers Nutrition when buying and eating ... it is like comparing people who exercise with people who don't. Obviously, in general, the people who exercise will show the benefits of exercise while the people who don't exercise, won't. You Can make that comparison ... but what is the point? It is dark at night, fire is hot, and people who plan their diets probably have diets better suited to their lifestyles and physical needs than people who just eat out of habit, boredom, convenience .....

Similarly, to say a person who doesn't exercise at all, has a "Plan"---"his plan is that he doesn't exercise"---is abusing the meaning of the word "Plan." A person who actually creates an exercise program has a "plan," the same as a person who plans what food to buy and eat has a "plan." A person who engages in physical activity or buys and eats food haphazardly, randomly, does Not have a "Plan" in the same sense of the word.

One cannot have a discussion with another unless the terms of the discussion are defined.

So ... no more need to debate the different meanings of the word. Now we can get on to discussing nutrition, not semantics.

Last edited by Maelochs; 01-10-19 at 02:50 PM.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 02:59 PM
  #57  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21,912
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Not if he didn't PLAN it.

That's his DIET, yes ... that is what he eats. But if he just grabs whater, and never thinks about nutrition, his overall calorie consumption, when and how he eats, what he needs fuel for on any given day ... it isn't a "Plan," even if he eats the same thing every day.


A person who eats by rote, or in reaction to physical or psychological urges, and doesn't consider what to eat except according to what's immediately pleasing or easily available, is Not "planning."
I like the way you put ^^^^ two parts the best.

That sort of lack of a plan led me to gain a lot of weight in college. Thanks to planning and the addition of sustained, aerobic activity to my lifestyle, I was able to lose 90 lbs. in 9 months.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 05:31 PM
  #58  
Dean V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,292
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You can be mindful of what you eat without having a "plan".
I would never sit down and eat a packet of biscuits or a tub of ice cream.
Even though I might enjoy it, common sense tells me not to, so I don't.
Dean V is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 06:56 PM
  #59  
50PlusCycling
Senior Member
 
50PlusCycling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Iodized salt isn't natural. Microwaves aren't natural. Heavily processed, hyper palatable, calorically dense food isn't natural. Neither is refrigeration. Or berries in winter.

The fastest known times on the triple crown trails are held by a vegan. She hiked an average of 45 miles per day, with a mile of vertical. I think counts as a body working very well. I would love to see how you compare with the help of meat though, if you want to put your money where your mouth is.
If it exists, it is natural.

Having ridden in the pro peloton, albeit for a single season, I have little regard or respect for records of any type. Some of those whom I thought were the noblest I had ever met turned out to be cheaters.

My sister was a huge fan of Morrissey, who, while in the Smiths, had an album called "Meat is Murder." My sister and her best friend were such fans that they became vegetarians themselves. Then, one night, a friend of theirs who worked at the Sunset Towers, a hotel in Hollywood, tipped them off that Morrissey was staying at the hotel. They went to spy, and hopefully see Morrissey, and their friend let them take his room service cart to his room (at the time she was a waitress working in another hotel). My sister was quite shocked to see that Morrissey had ordered a large steak for dinner. She is no longer a vegetarian.

I'll admit that I haven't tried a vegetarian diet myself. But I have never seen the need. I have no ideological opposition to any kind of food, because the firmest rule of nature is that living things eat other living things, be they plants or animals. Plants may not have fur, or be able to run, but they are quite alive, there are male and female varieties, and they are quite capable of communicating with each other. I eat what I like, when I want to eat it, cycling allows me to maintain my health.

I live in Japan, where vegetarianism is seen as something of western novelty, a odd lifestyle enjoyed by people with more money and less sense. Having been a country were food has never been locally abundant, and even now is much more costly than in America or Europe, the Japanese do not turn up their noses at any particular kind of food. The Japanese culture values food of all types, and any ideological opposition to food of any type is seen as silly.
50PlusCycling is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 09:03 PM
  #60  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,415

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
^^^ Cool stories that have nothing to do with what diets are actually the most healthful for humans.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 09:42 PM
  #61  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7438 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling View Post
If it exists, it is natural.
Then you're telling me the vegan diet is natural. I mean you said you don't like vegans after knowing one personally, so we can agree vegans exist, and are therefore natural. So what was your point about not eating an unnatural (non existent) diet?
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 09:44 PM
  #62  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7438 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling View Post
I live in Japan, where vegetarianism is seen as something of western novelty, a odd lifestyle enjoyed by people with more money and less sense.
Your countrymen have never heard of India or Hinduism?

How is not eating prime rib expensive?
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 10:24 PM
  #63  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,717

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
This thread is devolving so I'll help it along.

I don't eat much meat. Bring none into the house. Recently went non-dairy. (Wow! What a health upgrade. Serious.) But I don't call myself or eat vegans/vegetarians. I simply don't abstain from meat enough to qualify for the title and my research suggests eating such a diet had serious long-term health and life-style issues. (Life behind bars - very limited vitamin D from sunlight.)

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 11:00 AM
  #64  
Yendor72
Senior Member
 
Yendor72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 853

Bikes: 2013 Masi Premiare PC3, 2016 Framed Wolftrax, 2016 Trek Emonda (under construction)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As for the OP's original question: If it is prepackaged it probably isn't that great for you. I'm not a vegetarian but I have in the past had many vegetarian protein shakes. That's a great way to start your day.

As a side note. I am following a ketogenic diet (high fat, low carb, mid level protein). Over the past 3 months I have lost 20 lbs and my recent physical revealed that my triglycerides were in the normal (upper end) range, I have never seen that in over 20 years, they have always been off the charts high. I eat bacon all the time. More importantly, we cook at home. Day in and day out we think about meal prep and do as much as we can on the weekends when we have time. Cooking is a hobby, so I am okay with it. For reference I am allotted 20 grams of carbs a day, which I rarely reach. That's less than an average apple.

Last edited by Yendor72; 01-11-19 at 11:14 AM.
Yendor72 is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 11:46 AM
  #65  
tagaproject6
Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,220

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition; Ridley X-Night Disc; De Rosa King 3 Limited (SRAM Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Love the vegan/vegetarian/omnivore arguments
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 12:03 PM
  #66  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,313

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5346 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72 View Post
As a side note. I am following a ketogenic diet (high fat, low carb, mid level protein). Over the past 3 months I have lost 20 lbs and my recent physical revealed that my triglycerides were in the normal (upper end) range, I have never seen that in over 20 years, they have always been off the charts high. I eat bacon all the time. More importantly, we cook at home. Day in and day out we think about meal prep and do as much as we can on the weekends when we have time. Cooking is a hobby, so I am okay with it. For reference I am allotted 20 grams of carbs a day, which I rarely reach. That's less than an average apple.
This is interesting ... to me, at least.

This demonstrates clearly (to me) that health and happiness can be found with a Variety of diets ... and that each person has a different physiology which responds differently to different food regimens.

We all leave here ... no one gets to stay. Whether a vegetarian, vegan, paleo, omnivore, or pure junk-food diet will add a few days to one's lifespan ... can never really be known. In general, different diets seem to trend to bring different results ... but no one (as far as I know) know one had done a long-term study of athletes in the same sport using radically different diets ... at least not one broad enough to yield meaningful results.

I'd say, anybody following any well-planned diet and combining it with an active lifestyle is going to be better off than someone who is eating randomly and not exercising. I don't think meat is necessarily good or bad .... it is just another protein source.

We could argue the non-health or indirectly health-related issues ... from erosion, to grain waste, to methane emissions ... to animal cruelty ... and all the other related but not directly health-related consequences ... but that is for another forum.

To address the OP: there is basically nothing in a package which everyone will agree is healthy---because pretty much everything puit in a package is full of preservatives. Processing, packaging, and distributing over wide areas in mass quantity only makes sense of the product has a long shelf life.

It is debatable whether preservatives have any negative health effects---but if you are looking for definitely healthy pre-packaed snacks, other than fresh fruit in date-stamped plastic cups at the grocery, the is nothing. Certainly not at most convenience stores, unless they sell bananas and apples. Even fig newtons ... there is no way a cookie is going to stay fresh for a year or more. I'd still eat some of I were bonking---and I'd enjoy them.

I recommend finding your favorite energy bar and always having one or two with you. peanut-butter sandwiches are pretty durable, but can get messy---particularly in hot weather.

I know some folks make their own snacks---basically low-sugar, high-fiber cookies or rice/grain cakes with various grains and nuts. I'd imagine you could make Rice Crispy Treats-sort of snacks using untreated puffed grains and honey instead of marshmallow---or a Crackerjack analogue using clean ingredients.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 12:04 PM
  #67  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 11,313

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5346 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6 View Post
Love the vegan/vegetarian/omnivore arguments
https://i.imgur.com/421z4wN.gifv
The omnivores will always win ... because they can eat the competition.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 12:09 PM
  #68  
Abe_Froman
Senior Member
 
Abe_Froman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,480

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8730 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling View Post
If it exists, it is natural.

Having ridden in the pro peloton, albeit for a single season, I have little regard or respect for records of any type. Some of those whom I thought were the noblest I had ever met turned out to be cheaters.

My sister was a huge fan of Morrissey, who, while in the Smiths, had an album called "Meat is Murder." My sister and her best friend were such fans that they became vegetarians themselves. Then, one night, a friend of theirs who worked at the Sunset Towers, a hotel in Hollywood, tipped them off that Morrissey was staying at the hotel. They went to spy, and hopefully see Morrissey, and their friend let them take his room service cart to his room (at the time she was a waitress working in another hotel). My sister was quite shocked to see that Morrissey had ordered a large steak for dinner. She is no longer a vegetarian.

I'll admit that I haven't tried a vegetarian diet myself. But I have never seen the need. I have no ideological opposition to any kind of food, because the firmest rule of nature is that living things eat other living things, be they plants or animals. Plants may not have fur, or be able to run, but they are quite alive, there are male and female varieties, and they are quite capable of communicating with each other. I eat what I like, when I want to eat it, cycling allows me to maintain my health.

I live in Japan, where vegetarianism is seen as something of western novelty, a odd lifestyle enjoyed by people with more money and less sense. Having been a country were food has never been locally abundant, and even now is much more costly than in America or Europe, the Japanese do not turn up their noses at any particular kind of food. The Japanese culture values food of all types, and any ideological opposition to food of any type is seen as silly.
Are you aware that, however unlikely, it is indeed at least possible that each person in the world does not share your exact ideological position on the matter?
Abe_Froman is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 12:31 PM
  #69  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21,912
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
The omnivores will always win ... because they can eat the competition.
You win BF this week.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 12:41 PM
  #70  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,415

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
The fact fibre and whole-grains and fruit and vegetables are healthy should not come as a surprise.

But there is concern people are turning their back on fibre, with the popularity of low-carb diets.

Well, after analysing 185 studies and 58 clinical trials, the results are in and have been published in the Lancet medical journal.

It suggests if you shifted 1,000 people from a low fibre diet (less than 15g) to a high-fibre one (25-29g), then it would prevent 13 deaths and six cases of heart disease.

That's during the course of these studies, which tended to follow people for one to two decades.

It also showed lower levels of type-2 diabetes and bowel cancer as well as lower weight, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

And the more fibre people ate, the better...
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-4682742

Do we have any large long term studies on the value of low carb/high animal product diets?
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 12:45 PM
  #71  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 477

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
It is a big leap from not having enough time to eat properly, to then go Vegan.
It is that much more limiting in your options.
If I were you I would go for establishing a healthy "regular" diet and once that is established then think about moving on to Vegan if you still want to.
Bingo
jadocs is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:19 PM
  #72  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,784
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7438 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
I guess protein bars are an option for quick and prepared.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:43 PM
  #73  
tagaproject6
Goodbye Leeroy Jenkins
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,220

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Campagnolo Record);Cinelli Xperience (SRAM Force);Specialized Allez (SRAM Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Campagnolo Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition; Ridley X-Night Disc; De Rosa King 3 Limited (SRAM Force 22)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
A vegan once told me they don't eat honey because it enslaves the bees. I really thought she was joking until she got really mad for telling her that fruits are a result of bees working hard. She was not able to make the connection.
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:58 PM
  #74  
Abe_Froman
Senior Member
 
Abe_Froman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,480

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8730 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6 View Post
A vegan once told me they don't eat honey because it enslaves the bees. I really thought she was joking until she got really mad for telling her that fruits are a result of bees working hard. She was not able to make the connection.
I find theft to be the more compelling moral argument against honey
Abe_Froman is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 03:00 PM
  #75  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,175
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

I'd say, anybody following any well-planned diet and combining it with an active lifestyle is going to be better off than someone who is eating randomly and not exercising. I don't think meat is necessarily good or bad .... it is just another protein source.
Well said. It pretty much sums up the article I posted above.
OBoile is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.