Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Old 03-23-23, 10:31 AM
  #1776  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,942
Liked 6,497 Times in 3,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
That looks pretty sharp for an older frame...mostly. Cranks aren't level, stems aren't accurately aligned in a vertical position, and you didn't quite get to biggie-smalls. Personally, I think a triple doesn't look right on a racy bike. I do like the color coordination of the seat post clamp to tie in with the non-original fork.
Surprised you did not critique the basketball goal in the background. SMH

The background is one of the most important parts of a photo composition.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 10:33 AM
  #1777  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,528

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,776 Times in 4,134 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Surprised you did not critique the basketball goal in the background. SMH

The background is one of the most important parts of a photo composition.
Nah. Bam's kid is a bike stud. She gets some slack.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 10:47 AM
  #1778  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
That looks pretty sharp for an older frame...mostly. Cranks aren't level, stems aren't accurately aligned in a vertical position, and you didn't quite get to biggie-smalls. Personally, I think a triple doesn't look right on a racy bike. I do like the color coordination of the seat post clamp to tie in with the non-original fork.

I would love to put a new groupset on this. Preferably a 1x since it’s my crit bike. But it’s not in the cards right now. The next big purchase would be some Zondas for it. The triple is ugly but it works.

I know the staging is off, Didn’t take the picture for this thread, but oh well. Before I remove the wheels I will take a better one. Picked up a new cassette today so will be putting the mavics back on it.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 11:30 AM
  #1779  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,528

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,776 Times in 4,134 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I would love to put a new groupset on this. Preferably a 1x since it’s my crit bike. But it’s not in the cards right now. The next big purchase would be some Zondas for it. The triple is ugly but it works.

I know the staging is off, Didn’t take the picture for this thread, but oh well. Before I remove the wheels I will take a better one. Picked up a new cassette today so will be putting the mavics back on it.
Just take off the rings you don't want, and readjust the limit screw. For 1x, you can remove the cable, housing, and derailleur to save some race-winning grams.
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 11:31 AM
  #1780  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Just take off the rings you don't want, and readjust the limit screw. For 1x, you can remove the cable, housing, and derailleur to save some race-winning grams.
I was told I couldn’t do that. I can do that? Wouldn’t I need a spacer or something?
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 02:01 PM
  #1781  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,401

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,013 Times in 3,242 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I was told I couldn’t do that. I can do that? Wouldn’t I need a spacer or something?
Nah, just shorter bolts if they bottom out.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 03-23-23, 02:18 PM
  #1782  
Resident PIA
 
Shadco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: City of Oaks, NC
Posts: 925

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Liked 408 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I would have waited to post the finished product.
Finished.

__________________
--
Shad
I knew where I was when I wrote this
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Shadco is offline  
Likes For Shadco:
Old 03-23-23, 02:35 PM
  #1783  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,528

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,776 Times in 4,134 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I was told I couldn’t do that. I can do that? Wouldn’t I need a spacer or something?
Who did you hear that from? The only reason I can imagine that it wouldn't work is if the inner limit screw won't go in far enough to prevent trying to shift to the little ring. That's something you can test before you start pulling things apart.

Assuming you can block out the little ring...

2x - To remove the little ring, you will have to pull the crank arm off the bike, but it's pretty easy (8mm allen key, and fair amount of torque). The ring is attached to the crank arm with a different set of bolts than the other 2 rings, so no new parts are needed.

1x - Same as above, you will need to pull the crank to get the little ring off, and (as Mo said) a set of shorter chainring bolts will be required for a single chainring. They are easily found on the magical intarwebz. Install the big chainring in the spot where the middle ring is now. Remove the front derailleur, cable, and housing. Win!
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Old 09-08-23, 06:28 PM
  #1784  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts



2023 Emonda Alr 6
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 09-08-23, 06:58 PM
  #1785  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 40,063
Liked 16,618 Times in 7,788 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06



2023 Emonda Alr 6
DUH. Nukular reaction hot.
indyfabz is online now  
Old 09-08-23, 07:01 PM
  #1786  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
DUH. Nukular reaction hot.

I need LAJ to make a comeback.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-03-23, 08:25 PM
  #1787  
LAJ
So it is
Thread Starter
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,628

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,042 Times in 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Finished.

There's a lot of "stuff hanging off the bike. Seatbag, generic bottle, etc...

Your second try still a not, but at least a little warmer.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 12-03-23, 08:33 PM
  #1788  
LAJ
So it is
Thread Starter
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,628

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,042 Times in 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06



2023 Emonda Alr 6
Way Hot.

My only issue....

There is no pink on the bike. A black bike that has so little color on it to offset the black, should have black cages, with a touch of white/light in them. Bar tape, black.

Strictly my preference.
LAJ is offline  
Old 12-04-23, 01:38 AM
  #1789  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,512
Liked 487 Times in 362 Posts
I was going to post my Madone SLR8 but it’s identical to Noctlilux the millionaire’s on page 1 (except he even added the much more expensive XXX rims). Still love that Rage Red 3 years on with a few dinks. Ah what the hell, I guess without the DA crank it’s different;



Yes it has gained a bottle cage (colour matching the Trek logo) since that first test ride and the newer Garmin doesn’t need a lurid green case to stop the buttons rattling.

Last edited by choddo; 12-04-23 at 02:36 AM.
choddo is offline  
Old 12-04-23, 04:14 AM
  #1790  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,422

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,392 Times in 2,299 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Way Hot.

My only issue....

There is no pink on the bike. A black bike that has so little color on it to offset the black, should have black cages, with a touch of white/light in them. Bar tape, black.

Strictly my preference.
Then you will just love my checkpoint, once I get that done.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-04-23, 06:39 AM
  #1791  
LAJ
So it is
Thread Starter
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,628

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,042 Times in 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I was going to post my Madone SLR8 but it’s identical to Noctlilux the millionaire’s on page 1 (except he even added the much more expensive XXX rims). Still love that Rage Red 3 years on with a few dinks. Ah what the hell, I guess without the DA crank it’s different;



Yes it has gained a bottle cage (colour matching the Trek logo) since that first test ride and the newer Garmin doesn’t need a lurid green case to stop the buttons rattling.
Thank heavens the lurid green thing is gone. I think I would have carried my Garmin in my jersey rather than mount it on that bike. I'm sure it's super hot, but the staging and having to use our imagination on the changes, is a minus.
LAJ is offline  
Old 12-04-23, 08:29 AM
  #1792  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,602
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,551 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06



2023 Emonda Alr 6

That's a good bike to ride in October.
seypat is offline  
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-04-23, 09:43 AM
  #1793  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 1,512
Liked 487 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Thank heavens the lurid green thing is gone. I think I would have carried my Garmin in my jersey rather than mount it on that bike. I'm sure it's super hot, but the staging and having to use our imagination on the changes, is a minus.
I knew I’d get that All fair and reasonable commentary.
choddo is offline  
Old 12-07-23, 11:38 AM
  #1794  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Florida
Posts: 161

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
TIME ALPE D'HUEZ (disc)... hot or not?


I built this up about a week ago to replace my all-around / long-distance / ultra-endurance bike that was hit by a car (with me on it ). It's marketed by Time as a climbing bike, but the geometry works very well for long-distance / ultra-distance. The bike was built up from a frameset (purchased new from Time), and I'm really happy with the results. I know some folks will be turned off by the aerobars, and that's fine (I've got a thick skin ). It took me a while to warm up to aerobars, but for long-distance and ultra-distance they are a necessity.

Here's the spec:
- Time Alpe D'Huez framset (size small)
- Bontrager Aeolus RSL 37v wheelset
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 12-speed groupset
- Pro PLT Ergon carbon handlebar
- Deda Elementi Superbox DCR stem (100mm)
- Deda Elementi Superleggero 0 degree carbon seatpost
- Speedplay Zero pedals
- Profile Design 43 ASC carbon extensions / Profile Design Nesonic bracket
- K-Edge Wahoo gravity top cap computer mount
Turnin_Wrenches is offline  
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 12-07-23, 11:51 AM
  #1795  
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 13,147

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,166 Times in 2,683 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06



2023 Emonda Alr 6
It might just be me but that -17 stem just looks wrong with the sloping top tube. I'd struggle with that appearance on one of my bikes. And I love -17 stems. My fleet is entirely horizontal top tubed dinosaurs and -17 or more looks right..
79pmooney is offline  
Old 12-07-23, 12:09 PM
  #1796  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,528

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,776 Times in 4,134 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
It might just be me but that -17 stem just looks wrong with the sloping top tube. I'd struggle with that appearance on one of my bikes. And I love -17 stems. My fleet is entirely horizontal top tubed dinosaurs and -17 or more looks right..
Nah. Low is "pro".
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Old 12-07-23, 12:14 PM
  #1797  
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 8,528

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Liked 8,776 Times in 4,134 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
TIME ALPE D'HUEZ (disc)... hot or not?


I built this up about a week ago to replace my all-around / long-distance / ultra-endurance bike that was hit by a car (with me on it ). It's marketed by Time as a climbing bike, but the geometry works very well for long-distance / ultra-distance. The bike was built up from a frameset (purchased new from Time), and I'm really happy with the results. I know some folks will be turned off by the aerobars, and that's fine (I've got a thick skin ). It took me a while to warm up to aerobars, but for long-distance and ultra-distance they are a necessity.

Here's the spec:
- Time Alpe D'Huez framset (size small)
- Bontrager Aeolus RSL 37v wheelset
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 12-speed groupset
- Pro PLT Ergon carbon handlebar
- Deda Elementi Superbox DCR stem (100mm)
- Deda Elementi Superleggero 0 degree carbon seatpost
- Speedplay Zero pedals
- Profile Design 43 ASC carbon extensions / Profile Design Nesonic bracket
- K-Edge Wahoo gravity top cap computer mount
The Time ADH is a very fine machine, and has smokin'-hot potential...but that areo bar setup is an ice water bath. I have no doubt the ride quality is excellent, and serves you really well, but that's not really a consideration in "hot" judgements.

Your cranks are also not level, and the bike is at a wonky angle
__________________
"Swedish fish. They're protein shaped." - livedarklions
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 12-07-23, 12:20 PM
  #1798  
LAJ
So it is
Thread Starter
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,628

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,042 Times in 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
TIME ALPE D'HUEZ (disc)... hot or not?


I built this up about a week ago to replace my all-around / long-distance / ultra-endurance bike that was hit by a car (with me on it ). It's marketed by Time as a climbing bike, but the geometry works very well for long-distance / ultra-distance. The bike was built up from a frameset (purchased new from Time), and I'm really happy with the results. I know some folks will be turned off by the aerobars, and that's fine (I've got a thick skin ). It took me a while to warm up to aerobars, but for long-distance and ultra-distance they are a necessity.

Here's the spec:
- Time Alpe D'Huez framset (size small)
- Bontrager Aeolus RSL 37v wheelset
- Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 12-speed groupset
- Pro PLT Ergon carbon handlebar
- Deda Elementi Superbox DCR stem (100mm)
- Deda Elementi Superleggero 0 degree carbon seatpost
- Speedplay Zero pedals
- Profile Design 43 ASC carbon extensions / Profile Design Nesonic bracket
- K-Edge Wahoo gravity top cap computer mount
I say fairly hot. Cranks aren't level, aerobars do hurt the look. Staging.....

That said, I'm actually surprised on the white tape and saddle on an ultra-endurance bike, as it most assuredly needs more work to stay white. I think it looks good if I squint my eyes and erase the aerobars.

It's hard to throw too many rocks at ultra-distance stuff, in my opinion. Janie Hayes could put up a Schwinn Debbie, and it would get a hot from me.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 12-07-23, 01:12 PM
  #1799  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Florida
Posts: 161

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
... you guys really do hate aerobars. All good, no offense taken . I was also not a big fan of how they looked before I started using them. Over time I've grown to like the look because I love the function and comfort they provide. Can't do ultra-distance (very well) without them... unless you are Joe Barr. I still don't understand how he does it without the aerobars .

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 12-07-23 at 01:16 PM.
Turnin_Wrenches is offline  
Old 12-07-23, 01:43 PM
  #1800  
LAJ
So it is
Thread Starter
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,628

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,042 Times in 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
... you guys really do hate aerobars. All good, no offense taken . I was also not a big fan of how they looked before I started using them. Over time I've grown to like the look because I love the function and comfort they provide. Can't do ultra-distance (very well) without them... unless you are Joe Barr. I still don't understand how he does it without the aerobars .
Their usefulness softens the not part, simply because the long stuff takes a different type of human and I appreciate the task. But, as a stand alone without knowing the backstory, it's hard to be in love with them.
LAJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.