Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless

Old 06-17-19, 08:04 PM
  #26  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,543

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 104 Posts
I recently went to Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs. Unbelievable. Faster, smoother and lighter than any clincher I've ever ridden. Love this setup. They're 25s. And, easier to mount than my clinchers. Sounds like you're having fun. Perfect.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 08:06 PM
  #27  
CasualInSoCal
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So do these Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless tires work with the Mavic UST system? Or are they different?
CasualInSoCal is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 01:11 AM
  #28  
smashndash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 494

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualInSoCal View Post
So do these Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless tires work with the Mavic UST system? Or are they different?
Internet rumblings say GP5000s adhere to the yet-to-be-published ETRTO TL standard, which internet rumblings state is based off of Mavicís UST. Sorry I canít be of more help - Iíve tried hard to find first hand sources of this information and struck out so I have no idea if either of those statements are true. It may just be better to assume theyíre false.
smashndash is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 05:28 AM
  #29  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 944

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualInSoCal View Post
So do these Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless tires work with the Mavic UST system? Or are they different?
Don't know, I do know that someone in a FB group Iím in had issues getting the tire on his Ksyrium Pro UST rims. Donít know if he ever got them on or if it was an operator headspace and timing issue with respect to mounting.

I can tell you that I have been super happy with the Yksion Pro UST tires.
jadocs is offline  
Old 06-21-19, 11:32 AM
  #30  
CasualInSoCal
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash View Post
Internet rumblings say GP5000s adhere to the yet-to-be-published ETRTO TL standard, which internet rumblings state is based off of Mavicís UST. Sorry I canít be of more help - Iíve tried hard to find first hand sources of this information and struck out so I have no idea if either of those statements are true. It may just be better to assume theyíre false.
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
Don't know, I do know that someone in a FB group Iím in had issues getting the tire on his Ksyrium Pro UST rims. Donít know if he ever got them on or if it was an operator headspace and timing issue with respect to mounting.

I can tell you that I have been super happy with the Yksion Pro UST tires.
That's a bummer. UST seem like a well designed spec, and I'm willing to jump on the bandwagon, but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires.
CasualInSoCal is offline  
Old 06-24-19, 12:54 AM
  #31  
smashndash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 494

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualInSoCal View Post
That's a bummer. UST seem like a well designed spec, and I'm willing to jump on the bandwagon, but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires.
Aha. Found a source:

ďUniversal:
The only tubeless system that is universally accepted and recognized by every tyre and rim manufacturers.
The only tubeless system that is included in the standards that rule the bicycle wheel and tyre world! ISO 4210 / 5775 (in progress) and ETRTO 2018.
Riderís benefit : the only tubeless system that has been tested and approved for safety and ease of use.Ē

https://engineerstalk.mavic.com/en/r...asy-safe-fast/

I tried putting a mavic tire on a UST rim at sea otter last year (they were making a big deal out of it) and I can confirm that it was truly a cinch. If thatís the standard weíre adpoting, then Iím all for it.
smashndash is offline  
Old 07-25-19, 11:56 AM
  #32  
jitteringjr
Senior Member
 
jitteringjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,962

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CasualInSoCal View Post
That's a bummer. UST seem like a well designed spec, and I'm willing to jump on the bandwagon, but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires.
For what its worth, I am now running a set of Schwalbe pro ones 25mm on my Mavic UST rims. They were a little harder to mount than my Yksions were and needed tire levers while the Yksions go on easy finger only. I was able to seat the rear wheel on the beads with just a floor pump but the front wheel needed a boost from my air compressor to seat the beads. I am interested in hearing if anyone else is trying the GP5000s on UST rims. I have ran the GP4000s but with tubes on my UST rims so I am hopeful.

Also how many miles are people getting on thier GP 5000s. My Yksions only got about 2000 where I can get 5000 on the GP 4000s. If I can get 5000 miles on GP5000s and they fit the UST rims, I want to switch for the next set of tires.
jitteringjr is offline  
Old 07-25-19, 01:07 PM
  #33  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 944

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 84 Posts
I have well over 2k miles on my Yksion Pro's
jadocs is offline  
Old 07-25-19, 01:13 PM
  #34  
deacon mark
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,496

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
They are expensive so another reason to keep riding my Conti GP 4000 IIs with tubes. They last and last and last...…..I have over 6000 miles on mine and no chords showing.
deacon mark is offline  
Old 07-25-19, 02:06 PM
  #35  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,543

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualInSoCal View Post
So do these Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless tires work with the Mavic UST system? Or are they different?
Saw a video done by some guy with a British accent trying to mount them on Mavic USTs. Couldn't inflate them with a floor pump. Looked like a hassle. My Mavic USTs with Mavic tires were a breeze.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 07-25-19, 02:09 PM
  #36  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,543

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualInSoCal View Post
That's a bummer. UST seem like a well designed spec, and I'm willing to jump on the bandwagon, but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires.
Just curious. What is the problem with Mavic tires?
bruce19 is offline  
Old 07-25-19, 11:20 PM
  #37  
Princess_Allez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
I can tell you that I have been super happy with the Yksion Pro UST tires.
If you go to Mavic's website it's riddled with negative reviews. I just took mine out for a spin and they felt great. I think it all depends on what type of road you're riding on. These tires seem to work best on ideal tarmac; flat and smooth. I was impressed with them under those conditions. The tackiness reminds me of the Pirelli Supercorsa SP motorcycle tires, which are pretty good, non-warmer track tires.

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 07-25-19 at 11:27 PM.
Princess_Allez is offline  
Old 07-25-19, 11:30 PM
  #38  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,571
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 167 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Just curious. What is the problem with Mavic tires?
who said there was a problem with Mavic tires?

Some people like to have some options, but I'm just guessing.

Last edited by noodle soup; 07-25-19 at 11:36 PM.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 03:27 AM
  #39  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,543

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
who said there was a problem with Mavic tires?

Some people like to have some options, but I'm just guessing.
As you guess that some people like options, I guess that he's not happy with Mavic tires based on his statement...."but not if it means I'm stuck with only Mavic tires." I'd like to know what he means by that. I have no problem with the Yksion tires.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 03:30 AM
  #40  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,543

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez View Post
If you go to Mavic's website it's riddled with negative reviews. I just took mine out for a spin and they felt great. I think it all depends on what type of road you're riding on. These tires seem to work best on ideal tarmac; flat and smooth. I was impressed with them under those conditions. The tackiness reminds me of the Pirelli Supercorsa SP motorcycle tires, which are pretty good, non-warmer track tires.
Well, since I run Pilot Powers on my Ducati I can't speak to the Pirelli comparison but I have no problems with the Mavic tires. I can't speak to longevity yet but they do everything I need them to do.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 06:46 AM
  #41  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 944

Bikes: Litespeed T2 Disc, Fondirest P4 Carbon, Fuji Cross 2.0, Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez View Post
If you go to Mavic's website it's riddled with negative reviews. I just took mine out for a spin and they felt great. I think it all depends on what type of road you're riding on. These tires seem to work best on ideal tarmac; flat and smooth. I was impressed with them under those conditions. The tackiness reminds me of the Pirelli Supercorsa SP motorcycle tires, which are pretty good, non-warmer track tires.
I think there might have been some manufacturing issues early on. I can tell you that I'm not even thinking about trying different tires. I have found that the Yksion Pro's are great all around...flat and smooth tarmac just makes them shine even brighter....IMO.

....and Mavic Customer Service = Phenomenal
jadocs is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 08:20 AM
  #42  
dim
Senior Member
 
dim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 1,673

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have approx 1700 Km on my Gp5000 TL (25mm wide) mounted on HED Belgium Plus wheels on my Trek Emonda SL6

best tyres that I have used so far .... fast, zero punctures so far and I ride on crappy potholed roads in the dry and very wet .... grip has also been good .... I use Orange Seal regular .... what I have noticed is that some thin strands (like hairs) become loose on the sides but this has not been an issue as I snip them off with a nail clipper

on my Touring bike (Miyata 1000 Grand Tourer), I have the 5000 clincher version in 32mm wide .... 1900km .... zero punctures and these are really good. I will be having a tubeless wheelset built for my Miyata and I will try the 32mm tubeless version

these are very good tyres ................. buy them!
dim is offline  
Old 07-26-19, 12:34 PM
  #43  
Princess_Allez
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Well, since I run Pilot Powers on my Ducati I can't speak to the Pirelli comparison but I have no problems with the Mavic tires. I can't speak to longevity yet but they do everything I need them to do.
The PP are more of a sport touring tire. They're more of an analog for the continental gp2ks2. They are a great overall tire.

Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
I think there might have been some manufacturing issues early on. I can tell you that I'm not even thinking about trying different tires. I have found that the Yksion Pro's are great all around...flat and smooth tarmac just makes them shine even brighter....IMO.

....and Mavic Customer Service = Phenomenal
This gives me hope after reading all the negative reviews. Even though I've only rode on the tires once so far, they feel amazing. Everything about them is superior to the gp4ks2, with the exception of longevity. A lot of it could be attribited to them being tubeless though, and the fact that I'm now using them on new rims.
Princess_Allez is offline  
Old 07-27-19, 08:15 AM
  #44  
GreenAnvil
Senior Member
 
GreenAnvil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 513

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Canít speak about the GP5KTL as I havenít tried them yet. But since they have already been mentioned, another vote for the Mavic Yksion tires. Iím running them on both Mavic UST and Ultegra 6800 TLR rims; easy to seal, smooth ride, low rolling resistance, can confirm one puncture sealed fine. So far no problems.
GreenAnvil is offline  
Old 07-27-19, 08:27 AM
  #45  
jitteringjr
Senior Member
 
jitteringjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,962

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Just curious. What is the problem with Mavic tires?
Lack of options, longevity, and durability. The Yksions are great tires if you want a race tire as long as they have less than 1000 miles on them. After that, you will really start to notice sealant all over your frame. Broken glass is almost guaranteed to put the sealant to work after about the 1K mile mark. If I accidentally roll over broken glass with GP4000 with over 5000 miles on them I seldom puncture. With the Yksions at the 2000 mile point I can usually count over 30 wet spots where the sealant did its thing and to get the tires to last another 500 from that, I usually have to start applying rubber patches to the inside of the tires.

Then factor in that I can usually find GP4000s for 2.5 times cheaper than Yksions USTs and they last 2.5 times longer, that makes the cost of ownership of the Yksions over 6 times higher. Now I know itís an apples to oranges comparison because the GP4000s need tubes but that is why I am on this thread trying to find out more on the 5000s. But ultimately, Mavic needs to introduce another choice for a training tire with better durability, longevity and price that is going to stand up to a lot of training miles and the Yksion USTs just arenít that option.
jitteringjr is offline  
Old 07-27-19, 10:29 AM
  #46  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 6,543

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr View Post
Lack of options, longevity, and durability. The Yksions are great tires if you want a race tire as long as they have less than 1000 miles on them. After that, you will really start to notice sealant all over your frame. Broken glass is almost guaranteed to put the sealant to work after about the 1K mile mark. If I accidentally roll over broken glass with GP4000 with over 5000 miles on them I seldom puncture. With the Yksions at the 2000 mile point I can usually count over 30 wet spots where the sealant did its thing and to get the tires to last another 500 from that, I usually have to start applying rubber patches to the inside of the tires.

Then factor in that I can usually find GP4000s for 2.5 times cheaper than Yksions USTs and they last 2.5 times longer, that makes the cost of ownership of the Yksions over 6 times higher. Now I know itís an apples to oranges comparison because the GP4000s need tubes but that is why I am on this thread trying to find out more on the 5000s. But ultimately, Mavic needs to introduce another choice for a training tire with better durability, longevity and price that is going to stand up to a lot of training miles and the Yksion USTs just arenít that option.
Thank you. That's good to know. Will keep my eyes open.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 07-27-19, 12:13 PM
  #47  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 336

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
I loved my Conti 5K clinchers and just got 5K TLs installed in my new carbon wheels. They roll great but unfortunately I just noticed the front tire has a "wobble" in one section. Wheel is fine. Brought it in to the LBS to check, they took it apart, cleaned sealant off, felt the area where the wobble was carefully and couldn't discern why there was a wobble (everything felt normal, no damage visible). They're ordering a new one for me to replace since it's only a few days old.
CarloM is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 09:04 AM
  #48  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 811

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
I loved my Conti 5K clinchers and just got 5K TLs installed in my new carbon wheels. They roll great but unfortunately I just noticed the front tire has a "wobble" in one section. Wheel is fine. Brought it in to the LBS to check, they took it apart, cleaned sealant off, felt the area where the wobble was carefully and couldn't discern why there was a wobble (everything felt normal, no damage visible). They're ordering a new one for me to replace since it's only a few days old.
Interestingly, the front 5000TL on my Endurace had a visible wobble in the middle of the tire. Not sure what the deal was, I couldn't feel it, but I could see it. When I swapped the tires over to my Roubaix last week (actually my LBS did it for me), I guess the put it on the back wheel as I no longer see it.

-Matt
__________________
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 09:08 AM
  #49  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 811

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 101 Posts
My latest pair of GP5000TL now have 1120 miles on them with no problems.

-Matt
__________________
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 07-29-19, 11:05 AM
  #50  
CarloM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 336

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 59 Posts
The funny thing is, I noticed on my ride yesterday along the Pac Coast from Ventura to Carpinteria that I actually rode past a Continental Automotive Group HQ in Carpinteria. Unfortunately it was a Sunday otherwise I might have just brought in my tire...
CarloM is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.