Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Steel Frame Bike Options? (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1172373-steel-frame-bike-options.html)

dkyser 05-07-19 04:53 AM

Steel Frame Bike Options?
 
I Love my Trek Domane SL 6 and plan on keeping it but also want to get a nice steel frame bike and do not see many options from Trek or Specialized. Not looking for a custom frame, something available local if possible. I hate to order something with out seeing it.
I know I can get some other options from this group.

shelbyfv 05-07-19 05:55 AM

Jamis apparently has a dealer near you. They don't seem to make the nicer 853 frames anymore but the Quest looks just fine.

dkyser 05-07-19 05:58 AM


Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 20917905)
Jamis apparently has a dealer near you. They don't seem to make the nicer 853 frames anymore but the Quest looks just fine.

I should have changed my location, right now I am in Nashville, Tn.

WhyFi 05-07-19 06:03 AM

What kind of bike are you looking for, in terms of geometry, disc/rim, tire clearance, etc?

seau grateau 05-07-19 07:37 AM

All-City Mr. Pink, Cinelli Vigorelli Road

noodle soup 05-07-19 08:47 AM

Steel Road Bike Frames Made in Italy!

il massimo makes some nice steel frames, and the prices are reasonable.

Marinoni makes some too, but they might be hard to find in the US.

RGMN 05-07-19 08:53 AM

Ritchey Road Logic

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6e0f796b82.jpg

indyfabz 05-07-19 09:00 AM

Surly Cross Check.

noodle soup 05-07-19 09:04 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 20917907)
What kind of bike are you looking for, in terms of geometry, disc/rim, tire clearance, etc?

This is very important information.

mstateglfr 05-07-19 09:11 AM


Originally Posted by dkyser (Post 20917857)
I Love my Trek Domane SL 6 and plan on keeping it but also want to get a nice steel frame bike and do not see many options from Trek or Specialized. Not looking for a custom frame, something available local if possible. I hate to order something with out seeing it.
I know I can get some other options from this group.

It would require someone in Nashville to know what is physically available in the area.

with that said, there are some great options right now in quality frames. Depending on size, i wouldnt count on many to be local.
below is an abbreviated rundown of frames and complete bikes that have quality tubing and are, in my opinion, well designed/thought out.

https://blackmtncycles.com/frames/road-frames/ - double butted 8/5/8 heat treated tubing frame and steel fork. designed by a small shop owner who has decades of bike design experience.
https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/questelite.html - reynolds 631 tubing frame with carbon fork
https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/colle...ship-surf-blue - double butted tubing with enve carbon fork
https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/colle...rame-enve-fork - same as above, but just frame and fork.
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/mr_pink_classic - columbus zona tubing frame and steel fork - comes as complete bike or frameset.
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/mr_p...th_anniversary - columbus zona tubing and whiskey carbon fork - comes as complete bike or frameset.
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion - air hardened tubing, carbon fork, disc brakes.
https://konaworld.com/roadhouse.cfm - reynolds 853, carbon fork, disc brakes
Save Up To 60% Off Pro Level Steel Road Bikes FREE SHIP 48 STATES ON ALL BICYCLES FREE SHIP* Motobecane Gran Premio Elite New Shimano 22 Speed 5800 / 105 + Shimano Wheelsets Reynolds High Grade Steel Road Bikes - reynolds 853 frame and carbon fork.
https://masibikes.com/collections/cl...um-legacy-2019 - Double OS tubing, huge head tube for tapered fork, etc



There are a lot more- this is just a sample that is hopefully wide ranging in style, look, and setup for you to get an idea of what you might want.

fietsbob 05-07-19 09:25 AM

Waterford/Gunnar, Rodriguez, CoMotion. (Or, take a course and DIY)








...

JohnJ80 05-07-19 10:10 AM


Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20918224)
Waterford/Gunnar, Rodriguez, CoMotion. (Or, take a course and DIY)


...

^this.

Also, there are undoubtedly local custom frame guys close by.

J.

mstateglfr 05-07-19 10:26 AM

says not looking for a custom frame so custom frames are suggested.
classic BF mix of not reading, not caring, or ignoring because of caring.
love it!

JohnJ80 05-07-19 11:10 AM


Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20918346)
says not looking for a custom frame so custom frames are suggested.
classic BF mix of not reading, not caring, or ignoring because of caring.
love it!

Sort of right up there with the classic BF self appointed poster police. Love it!

I suggested those particular “custom” frames because, specifically, Rodriguez and Gunnar frames can be had for about the same price, when in a bike, as a nice standard frame. Both Rodriguez and Gunnar come in standard frame geometries. You pay extra if you want a “custom” frame.

J.

mstateglfr 05-07-19 11:14 AM


Originally Posted by JohnJ80 (Post 20918411)
Sort of right up there with the classic BF self appointed poster police. Love it!

I suggested those particular “custom” frames because, specifically, Rodriguez and Gunnar frames can be had for about the same price, when in a bike, as a nice standard frame. Both Rodriguez and Gunnar come in standard frame geometries. You pay extra if you want a “custom” frame.

J.

Yes yes. My comment wasnt directed at you specifically. And I totally agree with what you mention- they are great options and have 'stock' frames. For what its worth, I too went away from the OP's request by listing a bunch of bikes/frames that probably arent available locally.

Frank72 05-07-19 11:20 AM

Bikes direct to the rescue! Gran Premio Pro: Save Up To 60% Off Pro Level Steel Road Bikes FREE SHIP 48 STATES ON ALL BICYCLES FREE SHIP* Motobecane Gran Premio Elite New Shimano 22 Speed 5800 / 105 + Shimano Wheelsets Reynolds High Grade Steel Road Bikes

Reynolds 853 frame, ultegra 8000, FSA slk Crank set, ritchey components, all for $1695

Make sure you know your size.

I have one of their Titanium bikes that I really like.

CliffordK 05-07-19 11:45 AM


Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 20918181)

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 20917907)
What kind of bike are you looking for, in terms of geometry, disc/rim, tire clearance, etc?

This is very important information.

I agree, there are tons of options out there. From used frames to abused frames to new frames to new fully built bikes. Cross, Hybrids, Touring, Cargo, Folding, MTBs, Beach Cruisers, etc.

I think the fist thing would be to start narrowing down the parameters:
  • General Class (Cross, Hybrid, Touring, Cargo, Commuter, etc).
  • Tire Clearance? Fenders? Racks (Font/Rear)?
  • Horizontal Top Tube vs Sloping Top Tube vs Funny Bike.
  • Lugs vs Lugless
  • Frame vs Bike
  • Price Range?
  • Fork Material?
  • Head Tube/Stem?
Once you start figuring out some of the parameters, people can give you much more tailored suggestions.

Can I toss in the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket?

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-b...cket-road-bike

https://i2.wp.com/www.bikefriday.com...et-small-3.jpg

superdex 05-07-19 12:53 PM

Budget?

shelbyfv 05-07-19 03:08 PM

You're unlikely to be able to walk into a shop and see any variety of steel frames on the floor. Put enough thought into it to know what geometry and features you want, then order what you like. Many more choices, even used. Unlike carbon, a used steel frame is not necessarily a crap shoot. Best of luck!

JohnJ80 05-07-19 03:43 PM


Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 20918418)
Yes yes. My comment wasnt directed at you specifically. And I totally agree with what you mention- they are great options and have 'stock' frames. For what its worth, I too went away from the OP's request by listing a bunch of bikes/frames that probably arent available locally.

No worries.


Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 20918817)
You're unlikely to be able to walk into a shop and see any variety of steel frames on the floor. Put enough thought into it to know what geometry and features you want, then order what you like. Many more choices, even used. Unlike carbon, a used steel frame is not necessarily a crap shoot. Best of luck!

A corollary to this is that you can generally get any ride and bike characteristics out of any material but they will all have different designs. Steel today, is not the same steel from ages gone by. For example, I bought a frame in the mid -80s and built a bike out of it. The frame was the latest and greatest available in steel (a Basso racing frame). The wheels where handbuilt from the best hubs and rims available. The bike weighed in a 26lbs. You had to be careful about applying power at times or you could cause the drivetrain to shift. The frame was not stiff by today's standards.

About 5 years ago, I had a custom stainless frame built to accommodate some fit problems that I've typically had for years. The bike is really stiff but has great vertical compliance for ride quality. That bike, weighs in a just under 17 lbs and could go lower. This bike beats out a lot of carbon frames by available from the LBS. The bike is a dream for me to ride.

I also have a Gunnar frame . That also rides well when set up properly. That's is largely a standard frame (chromoly) and set up the way it is, weights in at round 18-19lbs. That's a cross frame and I use it for gravel riding and fast touring.

Both of these frames/bikes are tough, repairable and resellable as well as light, nimble and fun to ride.

J.

ohlins8990 05-07-19 04:32 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c6b2505c8.jpeg
I have a Ribble 525 built up with Campagnolo Veloce that I quite like. Looks like they have replaced it with a Reynolds 725 variant with a disc brake option.

rms13 05-07-19 04:49 PM


Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 20918817)
You're unlikely to be able to walk into a shop and see any variety of steel frames on the floor. Put enough thought into it to know what geometry and features you want, then order what you like. Many more choices, even used. Unlike carbon, a used steel frame is not necessarily a crap shoot. Best of luck!

This is unfortunately the answer. A lot of steel is only sold as framesets now. There are some completes available but most shops don't stock them because they aren't big sellers. So even if you want to walk into a shop and buy a steel bike you'll probably have to special order it which means you'll still be buying it sight unseen. The exception I've seen are some entry level bikes and bike packing/touring bikes at REI.

dkyser 05-07-19 07:16 PM


Originally Posted by Frank72 (Post 20918428)
Bikes direct to the rescue! Gran Premio Pro: Save Up To 60% Off Pro Level Steel Road Bikes FREE SHIP 48 STATES ON ALL BICYCLES FREE SHIP* Motobecane Gran Premio Elite New Shimano 22 Speed 5800 / 105 + Shimano Wheelsets Reynolds High Grade Steel Road Bikes

Reynolds 853 frame, ultegra 8000, FSA slk Crank set, ritchey components, all for $1695

Make sure you know your size.

I have one of their Titanium bikes that I really like.

I may look at Titanium also.


Originally Posted by superdex (Post 20918608)
Budget?

$2000-$3500



Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 20918817)
You're unlikely to be able to walk into a shop and see any variety of steel frames on the floor. Put enough thought into it to know what geometry and features you want, then order what you like. Many more choices, even used. Unlike carbon, a used steel frame is not necessarily a crap shoot. Best of luck!

I was afraid this was the case.

I want disc brakes for sure.

As far as geometry, I love the geometry of my Domane so more of a touring style.

superdex 05-07-19 07:25 PM


Originally Posted by dkyser (Post 20919192)

$2000-$3500


For the frame? Dude. You're in full-on custom territory, and no shop is going to carry samples. Get to know a local builder and dream away. 30 seconds of google: Custom Bikes ? LaBerta & Sons Cycles

Even if that's for the whole bike, you're into territory that a) will be a great ride and 2) shops won't have stock built up. I say Gunnar. or Milwaukee (the cool thing about Milwaukee is you can customize things like rack/fender mounts --for your touring needs, donchya'know).

dkyser 05-07-19 08:04 PM


Originally Posted by superdex (Post 20919201)
For the frame? Dude. You're in full-on custom territory, and no shop is going to carry samples. Get to know a local builder and dream away. 30 seconds of google: Custom Bikes ? LaBerta & Sons Cycles

Even if that's for the whole bike, you're into territory that a) will be a great ride and 2) shops won't have stock built up. I say Gunnar. or Milwaukee (the cool thing about Milwaukee is you can customize things like rack/fender mounts --for your touring needs, donchya'know).

Thanks, I am looking at complete at that price.
I would love to build a frame up, just not sure how much of it I could do.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.