Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Crabon bikes are fast! (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1174775-crabon-bikes-fast.html)

PepeM 06-04-19 10:30 AM

Crabon bikes are fast!
 
Hello, fellow BFers.

Lately, I have been riding my steel pedalbike a lot. It is a nice ride. Steel frame of unknown provenance, Dura Ace 10-speed groupset with downtube shifters, Ambrosio Crono wheels with Vittoria Corsa tubulars (23mm.) Solid ride all around.

Today, I took out my crabon bike out for a spin, after a year laying dormant. Focus Cayo, Force groupset, Psimet crabon tubulars. I followed the same route I rode on my trusty steelstead last week and lo and behold, I went over 2 mph faster on the crabon bike!

For the nonbelievers, I shall present evidence.

Exhibit 1, ride on the steel bike:

https://i.imgur.com/ltYpaRk.jpg

Note the average speed (shall not be confused with cruising speed.)

Exhibit 2, same ride on the crabon bike:

https://i.imgur.com/Z1yORp3.jpg

That's like a 15% gain in speed! :eek:

So, is crabon faster? Discuss.

PepeM 06-04-19 10:33 AM

Before anyone asks: Both bikes have 165mm cranks, so it cannot be that.

Seattle Forrest 06-04-19 10:37 AM

136w got you 19 mph, 216w got you 19.6?

PepeM 06-04-19 10:39 AM

Exact same power on both rides probably.

EDIT: Also, that's distance you're looking at. Space-time continuum or something.

superdex 06-04-19 10:41 AM

how'd you go farther and climb more on the same route? :foo:

PepeM 06-04-19 10:42 AM


Originally Posted by superdex (Post 20961696)
how'd you go farther and climb more on the same route? :foo:

The magic of carbon.

Or maybe I took a slightly longer way out of the 'hood.

PepeM 06-04-19 10:45 AM

Profiles:

https://i.imgur.com/p6HzSOQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/jGOBoGw.png

AlmostTrick 06-04-19 10:48 AM

Once you realize the crabon can asplode at any moment and send you to the hospital/graveyard you will no longer be going so fast.

Seattle Forrest 06-04-19 10:49 AM


Originally Posted by PepeM (Post 20961691)
Exact same power on both rides probably.

EDIT: Also, that's distance you're looking at. Space-time continuum or something.

Holy crap, everything the elders said was true. You just wake up one day and your brain doesn't work anymore.

Also you said same route so it didn't even occur to me that the distances could be different. Clearly I don't use Strava much.

WhyFi 06-04-19 10:52 AM

My geared bike can beat up your geared bike.



:innocent:

caloso 06-04-19 10:53 AM

Traffic lights? Wind?

Also, box rim wheels are less aero than taller rims, which I assume your Psimet carbon wheels are.

PepeM 06-04-19 10:56 AM

Not a single traffic light along the way. Wind? Maybe, don't recall it being windy either day. The crabon wheels are indeed 50/60 mm deep, but Psimet said on that other thread that it doesn't matter.

Someone pointed out something important on another thread though: In the moving process, I lost one of the screws that fixes the stem in place on the carbon bike.

base2 06-04-19 11:01 AM

On flat level ground: Watt for watt, based on my power meter, heart rate, distance, my 70 pound fully loaded Schwinn Varsity and my 16 pound Cervelo R5 are exactly 1 mph apart in average speed.

The kicker is Aerodynamics between a less agressive posture, and panniers vs agressive posture & moderately aero wheels.

On hills, it's still a crapshoot, with carbon being significantly less work, but the Schwinn having better gearing.

Try again.

woodcraft 06-04-19 11:09 AM

That bike was very well rested,

so of course it was faster. That would even out if you rode them the same amount.

indyfabz 06-04-19 11:12 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 20961728)
My geared bike can beat up your geared bike.



:innocent:

My geared bike has chunks of bikes like your geared bike in its stool.

luevelvet 06-04-19 11:12 AM

I hear they're injecting EPO into the carbon frames now a days...

mstateglfr 06-04-19 11:16 AM

I have long been curious as to the origins of the word 'crabon' and why its so popular.

Thats all I care to add to this thread, for now.

PepeM 06-04-19 11:17 AM


Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 20961769)
That bike was very well rested,

so of course it was faster. That would even out if you rode them the same amount.

Interesting point. I will have to test that out.

Seattle Forrest 06-04-19 11:27 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 20961728)
My geared bike can beat up your geared bike.



:innocent:

My geared bike has disc brakes, but so does yours. That makes it a knife fight!

wgscott 06-04-19 11:32 AM


Originally Posted by PepeM (Post 20961669)
Hello, fellow BFers.

Lately, I have been riding my steel pedalbike a lot. It is a nice ride. Steel frame of unknown provenance, Dura Ace 10-speed groupset with downtube shifters, Ambrosio Crono wheels with Vittoria Corsa tubulars (23mm.) Solid ride all around.

Today, I took out my crabon bike out for a spin, after a year laying dormant. Focus Cayo, Force groupset, Psimet crabon tubulars. I followed the same route I rode on my trusty steelstead last week and lo and behold, I went over 2 mph faster on the crabon bike!

For the nonbelievers, I shall present evidence.

Exhibit 1, ride on the steel bike:

https://i.imgur.com/ltYpaRk.jpg

Note the average speed (shall not be confused with cruising speed.)

Exhibit 2, same ride on the crabon bike:

https://i.imgur.com/Z1yORp3.jpg

That's like a 15% gain in speed! :eek:

So, is crabon faster? Discuss.

Two routes of different lengths, one of which required significantly (1.6-fold) more power for a marginal (1.14-fold) increase in average speed? Sounds like the carbon bike is far less efficient, even though expectation bias leads you to pedal harder.

firebird854 06-04-19 11:33 AM

My alloy bike is faster than my carbon bike (to be fair, my alloy bike has deep section carbon wheels and my carbon bike has cheep alloy wheels).

PepeM 06-04-19 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20961820)
Two routes of different lengths, one of which required significantly (1.6-fold) more power for a marginal (1.14-fold) increase in average speed? Sounds like the carbon bike is far less efficient, even though expectation bias leads you to pedal harder.

See previous post:


Originally Posted by PepeM (Post 20961691)
Exact same power on both rides probably.


wgscott 06-04-19 12:02 PM

What you posted says 137 W vs. 216 W

What are we supposed to believe, and what are we supposed to disregard, and why?

WhyFi 06-04-19 12:03 PM


Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20961820)
Two routes of different lengths, one of which required significantly (1.6-fold) more power for a marginal (1.14-fold) increase in average speed?

Not for nothing, but wind resistance doesn't increase linearly with speed. I would be a lot ******* faster if it did.

WhyFi 06-04-19 12:04 PM


Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20961886)
What you posted says 137 W vs. 216 W

What are we supposed to believe, and what are we supposed to disregard, and why?

Just a hunch, but I'd disregard the one that says "estimated."


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.