Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When do you say something?

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When do you say something?

Old 06-22-19, 04:14 PM
  #1  
Doge 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 9,494

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
When do you say something?

Does anyone feel it is appropriate to give unsolicited coaching to a complete stranger that looks like they need it?

When the faster (looking like training for a big event) folks pass you and really are not doing it right, and I think - if they'd listen, they could pick up a lot of speed.
I keep my mouth shut. So much talent and ability wasted on poor setup, position, technique.

PM me if you want my assessment
Doge is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 04:25 PM
  #2  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 24,844

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8884 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 81 Posts
You should totally talk to them - if there's one thing I've learned, it's that people *love* unsolicited advice.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 06-22-19, 04:25 PM
  #3  
berner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bristol, R. I.
Posts: 3,430

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I sometimes offer unasked for advice on fit to a parent whose child is clearly poorly fitted. My reasoning is the a poor fit would reduce a child's pleasure in cycling, perhaps to the point of not wishing to ride. Most parents seem appreciative. I always complement the child with a "nice bike". This always gets me a big grin.
berner is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 04:26 PM
  #4  
Bandera 
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,808
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 38 Posts
Never.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh Internat'l. '77 Trek TX900 FG. '90 Vitus 979. '10 Merckx EMX3. '13 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is offline  
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-22-19, 04:32 PM
  #5  
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past
 
Voodoo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Schertz TX
Posts: 3,101

Bikes: Ridley Excal, CAAD10, CAAD12, Felt DA, Dolan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
@Doge, I hear ya man. Thats a tough one but I've found that it pretty much gets ignored anyway. What does some old dude know?
Voodoo76 is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 04:33 PM
  #6  
seau grateau
Senior Member
 
seau grateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PHL
Posts: 9,614

Bikes: Litespeed, IRO

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Never.

-Bandera
+1 It's obnoxious and the advice is usually **** anyway.
seau grateau is offline  
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 06-22-19, 04:36 PM
  #7  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 16,022

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4442 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 45 Posts
I listen, and appreciate it, but rarely give it, unless an opinion is asked for. Unfortunately, for many, if it's not on YouTube, it's not real.
__________________
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
It's never about getting comfortable. It's about getting capable.

Last edited by LAJ; 06-22-19 at 08:29 PM.
LAJ is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 05:01 PM
  #8  
Doge 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 9,494

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
+1 It's obnoxious and the advice is usually **** anyway.
Mine isn't. But they don't know that. So I don't give it.
Doge is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 05:06 PM
  #9  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 4,229
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
I'll take it! Have limited talent, don't want to to waste.

I'll occasionally give advice for bad seat heights,

more to someone that I know & am riding with (Dude, pull those elbows in!).
woodcraft is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 05:09 PM
  #10  
GlennR
Formerly oldnslow2
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 5,412

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 51 Posts
Only for 2 things.

I will tell a parent that their child's helmet is not on correctly and offer to help adjust it.

Also when someone is clearly in the wrong gear when climbing. Many recreational riders don't understand how to use gears and are either in the large chainring and/or a small cog when going up hill. A few times after talking to riders we went back to the bottom and there were amazed how much easier it was when in the right gear.

Otherwise they are on their own to learn the hard way.
GlennR is online now  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-22-19, 05:11 PM
  #11  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,921
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Saying something directly won't work. The advice needs to be passed along a communication channel indirectly. It will get to the people the person does listen to. It also needs to be in general info form instead of about the particular person. It will come up for discussion and get discussed.

For example, if the person is struggling with his bidon flip:

"I was reading on BF the other night about learning to do the Rapha bidon flip. The general consensus was that XX cages and ZZ bottles were the best brands to use. The XX cages held the bottle with just the right amount of pressure. The ergonomic design of the ZZ bottles seems to work better with all sizes of hands. It really helps the people with small hands. I haven't been satisfied with my bidon flipping as of late. I might take a look at the websites and get some more info."

Last edited by seypat; 06-22-19 at 05:27 PM.
seypat is offline  
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-22-19, 05:19 PM
  #12  
dmanthree
Senior Member
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 908

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
It's situational for me. Examples:

Helmet on backwards: I speak up.
Helmet not fastened: I speak up.
Pedaling in a high gear, grinding using a *slow* cadence? I shut up.
Riding while wearing bibs "topless:" I look away. Unless, of course...
dmanthree is offline  
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-22-19, 05:30 PM
  #13  
Dirt Farmer
Senior Member
 
Dirt Farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madison, Wi.
Posts: 1,006

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Falcon San Remo Super Route; Jamis Coda Sport; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Only when I see someone with a grossly too short saddle height. Nothing more.
Dirt Farmer is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 05:48 PM
  #14  
Bandera 
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,808
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 38 Posts
Having never been so presumptions as to give unsolicited coaching advice to complete strangers who looks like they need it, but are those folks who pass you, but really are not doing it right, what is the proper etiquette for conveying one's Superior knowledge of cycling-rightness? Is this the proper scenario?

Having already been passed how does one convey unsolicited coaching advice while wheezing up after a desperate all-out chase to the complete stranger while laden with lactic acid and desperately short of O2? "Wheeze/Urp wait a second!" does not really set the stage for a plausible and masterful critique of the unknown passer's "not-rightness".

After a reasonable if lengthy recovery does one then get right to the issue at hand and remark:
"I see that you passed me back there, but without rightness in various forms involving a distinct lack of speed, technique and may I say both 'elan and style.
These can all be rectified by following my extensive and detailed diatribe on your many faults, and my solutions to each and every one of them."

"Hey, where did they Go?"

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh Internat'l. '77 Trek TX900 FG. '90 Vitus 979. '10 Merckx EMX3. '13 Soma Stanyan

Last edited by Bandera; 06-22-19 at 05:54 PM.
Bandera is offline  
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-22-19, 06:00 PM
  #15  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 14,551

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
My general response to unsolicited advice from strangers is "F-off". So I tend to anticipate that response before giving advice, and comply with it ahead of time, saving us both a lot of trouble and annoyance.
wphamilton is offline  
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 06-22-19, 06:22 PM
  #16  
Doge 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 9,494

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Having never been so presumptions as to give unsolicited coaching advice to complete strangers who looks like they need it, but are those folks who pass you, but really are not doing it right, what is the proper etiquette for conveying one's Superior knowledge of cycling-rightness? Is this the proper scenario?...
Well that is my question. That is why I posted.
For the purposes of this thread...
FACT - they are doing it wrong.
FACT - slower rider knows more.

Shoot - I only hire older less able people to coach my kids - because they know more.
Doge is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 06:28 PM
  #17  
DaveLeeNC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pinehurst, NC, US
Posts: 1,190

Bikes: 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi-2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Well that is my question. That is why I posted.
For the purposes of this thread...
FACT - they are doing it wrong.
FACT - slower rider knows more.

Shoot - I only hire older less able people to coach my kids - because they know more.

How could you possibly "KNOW" that they are doing it wrong. Right now you might see me lugging up some local hills in the wrong gear. I am doing this intentionally because I may have an upcoming ride where I will not have the right gears on my bike, so I am assessing my ability to deal with that fact.

I can't imagine giving unsolicited advice on the road to a complete stranger. I thought this was a joke when I first read the original post.

dave
DaveLeeNC is online now  
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 06-22-19, 06:29 PM
  #18  
tagaproject6
Senior Member
 
tagaproject6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,284

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
FACT - they don't know you.
FACT - they don't know your credentials.

People generally do not like unsolicited advice from total strangers. Get to know them first and broach the subject after you've established rapport.

Go ahead and tell a total stranger they are doing it wrong, see what you get.
tagaproject6 is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 06:33 PM
  #19  
Doge 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 9,494

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Having never been so presumptions as to give unsolicited coaching advice to complete strangers who looks like they need it, but are those folks who pass you, but really are not doing it right, what is the proper etiquette for conveying one's Superior knowledge of cycling-rightness? Is this the proper scenario?...
What brought this up was a very polite women today with an Australian accent was riding a very nice FELT Tri bike. She made a comment about being a coach herself.
She was very strong.
She asked if she could draft us a bit. Then she went off not needing our draft.
Her position needed a lot of work. Her pedal stroke was off.
I don't completely get the Tri thing, but I do get the TT thing (not a troll - just 30 years).
I asked my wife that as she was so nice, if it was worth giving any pointers. Wife said no, and I agreed.
I believe pointers would have been a significant help.
I could have suggested a coach for a fraction of the cost of the bike she was riding.
But...I shut my mouth.
Doge is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 06:44 PM
  #20  
Doge 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 9,494

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC View Post
How could you possibly "KNOW" that they are doing it wrong. Right now you might see me lugging up some local hills in the wrong gear. I am doing this intentionally because I may have an upcoming ride where I will not have the right gears on my bike, so I am assessing my ability to deal with that fact.

I can't imagine giving unsolicited advice on the road to a complete stranger. I thought this was a joke when I first read the original post.

dave
Because it is pretty established at elite levels how to do it right.
There is a significant difference between low RPM and doing it wrong.
A tell is the left/right movement of the knees. No good rider lugging, or otherwise at any RPM has wobbly knees due to torque/power.
That is wrong. If you do that - you are a bad rider. Soft pedal at any RPM you want. But the body tells a lot. Some can read that, and some can't.

Anyway, I gave no advice. See just posted context.
Doge is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 06:45 PM
  #21  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,088
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7983 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
Riding while wearing bibs "topless:" I look away. Unless, of course...
Do people really do this?
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 06:54 PM
  #22  
Dean V
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,373
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I don't.
At best they will ignore you and carry on doing what they are doing.
At worst you will get varying degrees of negative response.
I think it can only work if they know you and respect your experience and knowledge.
Dean V is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 06:59 PM
  #23  
Doge 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 9,494

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Before this becomes an how-elite-we-are thread the context is in the OP.
Say you see someone on an upright bike pedaling with their heals.

Then they say they are training for...a whatever next step that you have knowledge about.

Does that change a thing?

So you say, "you might want to try your forefoot".
Or you say "that's nice".
As they pedal by you.
Doge is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 07:01 PM
  #24  
Bandera 
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,808
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
FACT - they are doing it wrong.
FACT - slower rider knows more.
1) Anyone who passes me can only be "doing it so wrong" for a fact after all, well done.

B) I'd not put universal full faith and confidence in selecting slow riders for knowing fitting and coaching techniques for going fast, seems like a fundamentally flawed theory to me.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh Internat'l. '77 Trek TX900 FG. '90 Vitus 979. '10 Merckx EMX3. '13 Soma Stanyan
Bandera is offline  
Old 06-22-19, 07:02 PM
  #25  
jamesdak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,401

Bikes: G.L. Maillot Juane & Ventoux,Schwinn Circuit, Prologue,PDG Paramount,Paramount,Tempo,Jake The Snake,LeMond Zurich & Tourmelet,Giordana XL Super & Antares,Puegeot U08,Bob Jackson,Fuji S12-S,Opus III,Orbea Cabestany,Bianchi Campione,Basso Gap

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts
Unsolicited advice to strangers will never be anything but rude in my opinion. To give the advice you have to presume way too much no matter what the situation.

And besides, there is not "right way". Just think Froome....
jamesdak is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.