Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is Trek ditching rim brakes on the Domane and Emonda SL?

Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Is Trek ditching rim brakes on the Domane and Emonda SL?

Old 07-07-19, 07:43 AM
  #1  
ToiletSiphon
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is Trek ditching rim brakes on the Domane and Emonda SL?

The 2020 Emonda SL is out and it seems that there is now no rim brake option. The 2020 Domane hasn't been announced yet, but the 2019 with rim brake is now on sale (and the same model with disc isn't). Makes me think that there won't be any domane or emonda with rim brakes in a few months.

Where would that leave someone with a rim-brakes frame in case they need a warranty or crash replacement? That would also mean new levers and brakes.

I was really eying the Domane Sl5, not because I don't like the performance of discs, but because it's much cheaper and 1 pound lighter for that price.
ToiletSiphon is offline  
Old 07-07-19, 10:39 AM
  #2  
Lrdchaos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Everything is migrating towards disc brakes. I just bought a new bike and went with disc because that is where I see the industry heading, like it or not. To buy rim brakes at this point is to live in the past.

Iíll put on my flame suit and get ready for the heat. But, thatís the way I see it.
Lrdchaos is offline  
Old 07-07-19, 10:40 AM
  #3  
MyTi
6-4 Titanium
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
The 2020 Emonda SL is out and it seems that there is now no rim brake option. The 2020 Domane hasn't been announced yet, but the 2019 with rim brake is now on sale (and the same model with disc isn't). Makes me think that there won't be any domane or emonda with rim brakes in a few months.

Where would that leave someone with a rim-brakes frame in case they need a warranty or crash replacement? That would also mean new levers and brakes.

I was really eying the Domane Sl5, not because I don't like the performance of discs, but because it's much cheaper and 1 pound lighter for that price.
I think disc brakes are worth the weight penalty and there isnít much of a penalty at the higher end. Itís the only reason Iím thinking of selling my titanium road bike. Your body fat percentage better be optimal if you are going to be complaining about a 1 pound difference and you better be sponsored and ride as a super domestique for Geraint Thomas.
MyTi is offline  
Old 07-07-19, 10:48 AM
  #4  
RShantz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
The 2020 Emonda SL is out and it seems that there is now no rim brake option. The 2020 Domane hasn't been announced yet, but the 2019 with rim brake is now on sale (and the same model with disc isn't). Makes me think that there won't be any domane or emonda with rim brakes in a few months.

Where would that leave someone with a rim-brakes frame in case they need a warranty or crash replacement? That would also mean new levers and brakes.

I was really eying the Domane Sl5, not because I don't like the performance of discs, but because it's much cheaper and 1 pound lighter for that price.
I'll try to answer your question w/o discussing the merits of disc v. rim or telling you to drop a few pounds. My local Trek told me last year that Trek was going to completely eliminate rim brakes within year or two. He told me after his annual dealer meeting. FWIW I trust him as he isn't one who spouts stuff off w/out substance.
RShantz is offline  
Likes For RShantz:
Old 07-07-19, 10:50 AM
  #5  
Lrdchaos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz View Post
I'll try to answer your question w/o discussing the merits of disc v. rim or telling you to drop a few pounds. My local Trek told me last year that Trek was going to completely eliminate rim brakes within year or two. He told me after his annual dealer meeting. FWIW I trust him as he isn't one who spouts stuff off w/out substance.

My dealer told me the same thing when I was shopping around.
Lrdchaos is offline  
Old 07-07-19, 05:42 PM
  #6  
ToiletSiphon
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RShantz View Post
I'll try to answer your question w/o discussing the merits of disc v. rim or telling you to drop a few pounds. My local Trek told me last year that Trek was going to completely eliminate rim brakes within year or two. He told me after his annual dealer meeting. FWIW I trust him as he isn't one who spouts stuff off w/out substance.
Very helpful, although disappointing. Currently there is a 900$ CAD difference between the SL5 rim vs disc. I know discs are better, but for someone who doesn't want to pay a premium, that sure makes every 105 bike much more expensive.
ToiletSiphon is offline  
Likes For ToiletSiphon:
Old 07-07-19, 06:08 PM
  #7  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,491
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RShantz View Post
I'll try to answer your question w/o discussing the merits of disc v. rim or telling you to drop a few pounds. My local Trek told me last year that Trek was going to completely eliminate rim brakes within year or two. He told me after his annual dealer meeting. FWIW I trust him as he isn't one who spouts stuff off w/out substance.
As of 2020 model year, I heard.
colnago62 is offline  
Old 07-07-19, 06:12 PM
  #8  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,491
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
Very helpful, although disappointing. Currently there is a 900$ CAD difference between the SL5 rim vs disc. I know discs are better, but for someone who doesn't want to pay a premium, that sure makes every 105 bike much more expensive.
It lower the price of disc bikes. If all bikes are disc, then having those brakes is no longer something special. Companies canít add a premium to the bike just because they have disc wheels.
colnago62 is offline  
Old 07-07-19, 07:27 PM
  #9  
ToiletSiphon
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colnago62 View Post
It lower the price of disc bikes. If all bikes are disc, then having those brakes is no longer something special. Companies canít add a premium to the bike just because they have disc wheels.
So far this has not materialized. Take the Emonda SL5 for example. The rim version was under 2500 cad. Now the disc version is 3300 cad, even if it's now only available in disc version.
ToiletSiphon is offline  
Old 07-07-19, 07:58 PM
  #10  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,728

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
So far this has not materialized. Take the Emonda SL5 for example. The rim version was under 2500 cad. Now the disc version is 3300 cad, even if it's now only available in disc version.
Probably nothing ado about brake systems...and everything to do with raising prices. They only go one-direction. Up.

Remember back when D/A or Record 9s brifters were only $300USD? Or a 105 bike was $1,000? Now, Shimano and everyone else have to "invent" new crappier groups with the very latest in 1990s 8-speed tech to even service the low-end pricepoint.
Marcus_Ti is online now  
Old 07-07-19, 08:30 PM
  #11  
Gconan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 282

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62 View Post
It lower the price of disc bikes. If all bikes are disc, then having those brakes is no longer something special. Companies canít add a premium to the bike just because they have disc wheels.
Don't all bike companies charge more for disc brakes? Frame makers charge more. It will bump up the price, because it cost more.
Gconan is online now  
Old 07-08-19, 12:02 AM
  #12  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6,429
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3061 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
Probably nothing ado about brake systems...and everything to do with raising prices. They only go one-direction. Up.

Remember back when D/A or Record 9s brifters were only $300USD? Or a 105 bike was $1,000? Now, Shimano and everyone else have to "invent" new crappier groups with the very latest in 1990s 8-speed tech to even service the low-end pricepoint.
News Flash.... Stuff costs more now

My brother bought a 1984 Bianchi with Nuovo Record for $1100(IIRC) back in 1984. A second tier 2019 Bianchi would cost 4x as much today.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 07-08-19, 05:55 AM
  #13  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,367
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 29 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that Trek was going disc on all OEM bikes and would offer rim brakes on frames only. But that might have been Specialized. Regardless, don't expect to be able to buy a full rim-brake bike from any of the manufacturers within the next year or two.
topflightpro is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.