Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Groupset tiers a scam?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Groupset tiers a scam?

Old 09-10-19, 07:06 PM
  #1  
Dean V
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,850
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 255 Times in 151 Posts
Groupset tiers a scam?

I guess calling in a "marketing strategy" would be a more diplomatic thing to call it.
But I just can't see the difference in value or cost of production between say a 105 and Dura Ace groupset.
Sure when you start using Ti (cassettes) or carbon it will cost more to produce, but overall with modern machinery and production methods I can't really see much of a difference.
Dean V is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 07:11 PM
  #2  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,220

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20502 Post(s)
Liked 9,216 Times in 4,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
I guess calling in a "marketing strategy" would be a more diplomatic thing to call it.
But I just can't see the difference in value or cost of production between say a 105 and Dura Ace groupset.
Sure when you start using Ti (cassettes) or carbon it will cost more to produce, but overall with modern machinery and production methods I can't really see much of a difference.
Sounds like a business opportunity for you to jump in there, shake up the scammin' status quo and make a mint by providing DA-level goodness at 105 prices. Chop chop!
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 07:20 PM
  #3  
MSchott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 375

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
You've been here for 10 years and this is what you come up with? When you reach a certain price point, high end bikes are luxury items meaning price is somewhat irrelevant. And those that can, gladly pay to save a few ounces.
MSchott is offline  
Likes For MSchott:
Old 09-10-19, 07:22 PM
  #4  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,373

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,425 Times in 1,184 Posts
Don't know about Shimano, but there's a huge difference between a Sram Rival and Red cassette. Rival has individual cogs while Red is machined from one piece.
GlennR is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 07:25 PM
  #5  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,755
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
I guess calling in a "marketing strategy" would be a more diplomatic thing to call it.
But I just can't see the difference in value or cost of production between say a 105 and Dura Ace groupset.
Sure when you start using Ti (cassettes) or carbon it will cost more to produce, but overall with modern machinery and production methods I can't really see much of a difference.
Are you aware of the differences in the individual components? Some are similar, others are not as simple as that. The jump between 105 and ultegra is the big one, for example the RD uses cartridge bearing pulleys vs shaft bearings, 2 piece glued hollow chainrings vs machined 1 piece, stainless spindles on the pedals, materials for the levers etc?
redlude97 is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 09:01 PM
  #6  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,456

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 487 Posts
Aside from the materials and processes involved, the top-tier groups pay for most of the R&D that trickles down to the lower groups, I'd imagine. Early adopter tax.
Kimmo is offline  
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 09-10-19, 09:09 PM
  #7  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 14,889

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9155 Post(s)
Liked 5,568 Times in 3,215 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
I guess calling in a "marketing strategy" would be a more diplomatic thing to call it.
But I just can't see the difference in value or cost of production between say a 105 and Dura Ace groupset.
Sure when you start using Ti (cassettes) or carbon it will cost more to produce, but overall with modern machinery and production methods I can't really see much of a difference.
Even if the production costs of 105 and DA are the same, the difference in weight and for a long time tech, allows DA to command a higher price.

I'll let you in on a general business secrect- price is not tied to cost.
Some products are high volume low margin. Some products are low volume high margin. The rest are somewhere between.

mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-11-19, 04:00 AM
  #8  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,455

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 535 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19120 Post(s)
Liked 5,855 Times in 2,868 Posts
Marginal gains.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 04:57 AM
  #9  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 4,444

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2620 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
105 doesn't have near the longevity of Ultegra.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 05:34 AM
  #10  
RShantz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Porsche v. Toyota
RShantz is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 06:04 AM
  #11  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,332

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 250 Posts
Most likely technology that is different. You also pay for the R&D when it comes to high-end products, which is normal.

These are 2 completely different products that are intended for two completely different categories of buyers. They should not be compared. The Porsche VS Toyota call says it all.
eduskator is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 06:34 AM
  #12  
firebird854
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 535

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
Aside from the materials and processes involved, the top-tier groups pay for most of the R&D that trickles down to the lower groups, I'd imagine. Early adopter tax.
This ^^^^^^ literally what I was going to say.
firebird854 is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 06:42 AM
  #13  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 14,889

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9155 Post(s)
Liked 5,568 Times in 3,215 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
105 doesn't have near the longevity of Ultegra.
I own and have ridden 105 from the early 90s, early 00s, late 00s, and mid-late 10s.
I also own and have ridden Ultegra from the late 90s when it was 600tricolor, early 90s when it was 600Ultegra, late 90s when it was 9sp, and current late 10s.

I cant figure how either is more or less durable than the other. Both seem to work perfectly fine in all iterations thru the years. The 105 certainly seems to have the longevity of Ultegra, and even if it isnt exactly the same, it lasts as long as many riders will ever want(the life of their bike).

The internet is full of examples of people using 105 for decades without issue.
The internet is also full of examples of people needing to change their Ultegra earlier than they expect.



Not sure how you collect all that and determine that 105 doesnt have the longevity of Ultegra.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-11-19, 07:08 AM
  #14  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,456

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 487 Posts
Often many of the fasteners and other steel parts have better plating that keeps rust away longer.
Kimmo is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 07:36 AM
  #15  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 1,332

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I own and have ridden 105 from the early 90s, early 00s, late 00s, and mid-late 10s.
I also own and have ridden Ultegra from the late 90s when it was 600tricolor, early 90s when it was 600Ultegra, late 90s when it was 9sp, and current late 10s.

I cant figure how either is more or less durable than the other. Both seem to work perfectly fine in all iterations thru the years. The 105 certainly seems to have the longevity of Ultegra, and even if it isnt exactly the same, it lasts as long as many riders will ever want(the life of their bike).

The internet is full of examples of people using 105 for decades without issue.
The internet is also full of examples of people needing to change their Ultegra earlier than they expect.



Not sure how you collect all that and determine that 105 doesnt have the longevity of Ultegra.
Yep, and all of these owners are certainly not using and maintaining their bikes the same way. Too many factors that can influence the longevity / reliability / etc.
eduskator is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 07:51 AM
  #16  
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northwest Georgia
Posts: 14,782

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 457 Posts
Everything is a scam.

A dry aged steak at McKendrick's Steak House vs a chain steakhouse.

A Lexus F Sport vs a Toyota Camry.

The service I give my customers is a scam. Any computer tech is just as good as I am and will probably charge you one fifth the price.


-Tim-
TimothyH is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 09:33 AM
  #17  
Psychocycles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I own 105 5800 & Ultegra R8000 - shifting at the rear is difficult to tell the difference, but the front shifting is noticeably better with Ultegra. This could mean the difference between catching the wheel in front and getting dropped in a race after a climb in the little ring, so I pay the premium for Ultegra (hard to justify DA for now, but I'm also not getting paid to win races). It's all relative, and I wouldn't say that it's a scam. Difference between Ultegra and DA (R8000 & R9100), though, is much smaller than that between 105 and Ultegra, as Shimano described themselves.

If for your purposes 105 is sufficient, and I would wager that for the majority of cyclists it definitely is, buy 105 and remain happy, and let others buy DA. I personally love when older, richer people buy DA because as others mentioned, that pays for R&D so that the high end tech from 3-4 years ago trickles down to Ultegra/105 level.
Psychocycles is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 09:36 AM
  #18  
redlude97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,755
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1969 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles View Post
I own 105 5800 & Ultegra R8000 - shifting at the rear is difficult to tell the difference, but the front shifting is noticeably better with Ultegra. This could mean the difference between catching the wheel in front and getting dropped in a race after a climb in the little ring, so I pay the premium for Ultegra (hard to justify DA for now, but I'm also not getting paid to win races). It's all relative, and I wouldn't say that it's a scam. Difference between Ultegra and DA (R8000 & R9100), though, is much smaller than that between 105 and Ultegra, as Shimano described themselves.

If for your purposes 105 is sufficient, and I would wager that for the majority of cyclists it definitely is, buy 105 and remain happy, and let others buy DA. I personally love when older, richer people buy DA because as others mentioned, that pays for R&D so that the high end tech from 3-4 years ago trickles down to Ultegra/105 level.
The front shifting is faster because the 2 piece chainring has additional ramps on the backside. It's the 1 piece between the two groupsets that makes the biggest performance difference
redlude97 is offline  
Likes For redlude97:
Old 09-11-19, 09:58 AM
  #19  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,910
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles View Post

If for your purposes 105 is sufficient, and I would wager that for the majority of cyclists it definitely is, buy 105 and remain happy, and let others buy DA. I personally love when older, richer people buy DA because as others mentioned, that pays for R&D so that the high end tech from 3-4 years ago trickles down to Ultegra/105 level.
That's not how it works.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 10:14 AM
  #20  
jackb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 657

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Do a web search for Global Cycling Network and watch their video on 105 vs Dura Ace. I think you will be surprised.
jackb is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 10:25 AM
  #21  
Psychocycles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
That's not how it works.
You'll have a hard time convincing me that the 2x+ price difference between Ultegra and DA is purely down to manufacturing methods and materials. There's going to be a lot of markup to make up for the reduced volume.
Psychocycles is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 10:28 AM
  #22  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,910
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles View Post
You'll have a hard time convincing me that the 2x+ price difference between Ultegra and DA is purely down to manufacturing methods and materials. There's going to be a lot of markup to make up for the reduced volume.
That's not at all what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the money for R & D comes from the sales of all Shimano cycling products, not just Dura Ace.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 10:36 AM
  #23  
masi61
Senior Member
 
masi61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,385

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 228 Posts
Sometimes certain Dura Ace parts - the 7700 bottom bracket and the PD-9000 and PD-9100 pedals come to mind - these parts are actually rebuildable. I personally value this option and will pay a little more for it. I have found that rebuildable Shimano parts can be adjusted really well and I feel that the time spent to rebuild them is worth it.

Often on rides I will hear the derailleur pulleys of 105 and Ultegra rear derailleurs squealing. The sealed pulleys on Dura Ace go silently for long periods of time. The 105 and Ultegra ones could be given a tiny bit of grease on the bushing which would quiet them for quite a long time, but a lot of riders are not enthusiastic about maintaining every little part of the bike.

I have heard that 105 and Ultegra pedals have cartridge bearings where you replace them as assemblies when they go bad. I'm using the Dura Ace PD-9000's and I did develop a creak in one of them when the factory grease sort of leached out of them. The rebuild process was not bad, it was relaxing in a way and I felt more confident about them after they were rebuilt. I was surprised though that many of the small parts are made from lightweight aluminum.

I also value the higher quality aluminum polish and exotic fasteners that are used on the Dura Ace components. I am not a racer, just a collector/rider who loves to tinker. With all the chatter on GCN YouTube about the classic silver components. I'm honestly surprised that Shimano hasn't resurrected the classic 7700/7800 look components to today's standards. People could easily apply clear "Crankskins" or similar "helicopter tape" to keep that pristine look as long as possible.

Last edited by masi61; 09-11-19 at 10:41 AM.
masi61 is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 10:37 AM
  #24  
Psychocycles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
That's not at all what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the money for R & D comes from the sales of all Shimano cycling products, not just Dura Ace.
That's a fair point, but I'd be curious to see where these companies' largest profit margin comes from, whether the high frequency, low margin lower groupsets or low frequency, high margin higher groupsets. I forget that Shimano also makes much more than just bike components, like fishing equipment, etc.
Psychocycles is offline  
Likes For Psychocycles:
Old 09-11-19, 10:48 AM
  #25  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,910
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Psychocycles View Post
That's a fair point, but I'd be curious to see where these companies' largest profit margin comes from, whether the high frequency, low margin lower groupsets or low frequency, high margin higher groupsets. I forget that Shimano also makes much more than just bike components, like fishing equipment, etc.
At the retail level, the profit margin is much smaller on high-end bikes and components.
noodle soup is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.