Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day! Fezzari Empire SL

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

New Bike Day! Fezzari Empire SL

Old 10-19-19, 06:13 PM
  #1  
BluFalconActual
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
New Bike Day! Fezzari Empire SL

My wife bought this for me 2 weeks ago and it just showed up to my house. Not a whole lot available on this bike since itís fairly new and from a smaller brand but the buying experience was awesome and this thing absolutely rips.


BluFalconActual is offline  
Likes For BluFalconActual:
Old 10-19-19, 06:28 PM
  #2  
Kimmo 
bike whisperer
 
Kimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Posts: 9,355

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 367 Posts
That is one really cool mural.

Maybe choose a different background if you want us to see your bike...
Kimmo is offline  
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 10-19-19, 07:43 PM
  #3  
BluFalconActual
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
That is one really cool mural.

Maybe choose a different background if you want us to see your bike...
Yeah, Iíll take some better ones when itís daylight. I was in a rush giving it a quick test ride today.
BluFalconActual is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 08:46 PM
  #4  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 7,081

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5241 Post(s)
Liked 873 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual View Post
My wife bought this for me 2 weeks ago and it just showed up to my house. Not a whole lot available on this bike since it’s fairly new and from a smaller brand but the buying experience was awesome and this thing absolutely rips.


Dang, your wife must love you. That's a nice bike.

Enjoy.

Last edited by DougRNS; 10-19-19 at 09:51 PM.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 08:47 PM
  #5  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 7,081

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5241 Post(s)
Liked 873 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual View Post
My wife bought this for me 2 weeks ago and it just showed up to my house. Not a whole lot available on this bike since it’s fairly new and from a smaller brand but the buying experience was awesome and this thing absolutely rips.


Duplicate post.

Last edited by DougRNS; 10-19-19 at 08:50 PM.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 10-19-19, 09:41 PM
  #6  
bpcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,115
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 226 Posts
That is a beautiful bike. Always wondered about that brand.
bpcyclist is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 07:17 AM
  #7  
robbyville
Senior Member
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,380

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 109 Posts
Beautiful!

ride safe and enjoy!
robbyville is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 08:46 AM
  #8  
jkonst
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Joined this forum just to learn more! I've been really interested in the Empire SL (considering the Team Edition, currently), but as you said, there isn't much information out there other than a few previews. I have some questions, if you're up for answering them...

- What was the buying process like? And did you choose "comfortable" or "racelike" geometry? I haven't been able to quite tell what that changes.

- How involved was assembly?

- What's the weight of your bike?

- Do you have any drivetrain or disc brake noise? I've seen some comments about loud SRAM 12-speed drivetrains, but it seems like it's pretty installation-dependent.

- How does it ride, comfort/handling-wise?

Thanks! Hope your new bike is treating you well so far.
jkonst is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 10:41 AM
  #9  
BluFalconActual
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jkonst View Post
Joined this forum just to learn more! I've been really interested in the Empire SL (considering the Team Edition, currently), but as you said, there isn't much information out there other than a few previews. I have some questions, if you're up for answering them...

- What was the buying process like? And did you choose "comfortable" or "racelike" geometry? I haven't been able to quite tell what that changes.

- How involved was assembly?

- What's the weight of your bike?

- Do you have any drivetrain or disc brake noise? I've seen some comments about loud SRAM 12-speed drivetrains, but it seems like it's pretty installation-dependent.

- How does it ride, comfort/handling-wise?

Thanks! Hope your new bike is treating you well so far.
My pleasure!

-Buying process: you order online (or call and talk to an actual person). Once they receive your order, they will have a human being call you and go over your measurements and ask if there is anything else that you wanted (such as if you wanted a different set of wheels, gears etc). 2 weeks after that, they send the bike to you. I chose ďrace likeĒ and what I think that means is how many spacers they put into the headset as well as (maybe) the stem length. They pretty much nailed the geometry, at least for me.

-Assembly: you will need to install the front wheel as well as the handlebar to the stem. All in all, 4 small bolts and a thru axel. They provide the Allen keys and instructions needed for installation if you donít have it. Itís a 5 minute job not including taking off all the packaging materials.
I took extra time putting it together because I swapped the saddle, swapped the bar tape and set up the AXS components with the app.

-I havenít put it on a scale but just by picking it up I can tell itís not quite as light as my rim brake Edmonda SL with carbon everything but no where even near as heavy as my gravel specific Giant Revolt Advanced.

-Noise: No brake rub at all. My chain was kind of noisy. Not squeaky but just drivetrain noise. I only have 1 short 20 miler on it and that was with the stock lube. I washed it all off when I got home and am currently letting the Dumonde Tech chain lube soak in good for tomorrowís ride. That probably will quiet things up a lot. The drivetrain is flawless otherwise. Everything was tuned perfectly and shifts like a dream.

-It rides awesome. My Emonda that I had was harsh. This thing feels way less effected by bad roads. Itís not a plush bike by any means though. It doesnít feel like a magic carpet over rough tarmac like my Revolt does, but that bike also has 42c tires ran at 40 psi. I am very happy with the ride of the bike. Itís still very stiff and very connected to the road but it doesnít beat you up.

I only have 1 ride in but I will be riding it daily next week and dialing everything in and maybe doing some gearing changes so I can be ready for a week long vacation the following week where I will be doing some serious mileage. Iíll post updates as I get them.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask!
BluFalconActual is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 01:44 PM
  #10  
jkonst
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual View Post
My pleasure!

-Buying process: you order online (or call and talk to an actual person). Once they receive your order, they will have a human being call you and go over your measurements and ask if there is anything else that you wanted (such as if you wanted a different set of wheels, gears etc). 2 weeks after that, they send the bike to you. I chose ďrace likeĒ and what I think that means is how many spacers they put into the headset as well as (maybe) the stem length. They pretty much nailed the geometry, at least for me.

-Assembly: you will need to install the front wheel as well as the handlebar to the stem. All in all, 4 small bolts and a thru axel. They provide the Allen keys and instructions needed for installation if you donít have it. Itís a 5 minute job not including taking off all the packaging materials.
I took extra time putting it together because I swapped the saddle, swapped the bar tape and set up the AXS components with the app.

-I havenít put it on a scale but just by picking it up I can tell itís not quite as light as my rim brake Edmonda SL with carbon everything but no where even near as heavy as my gravel specific Giant Revolt Advanced.

-Noise: No brake rub at all. My chain was kind of noisy. Not squeaky but just drivetrain noise. I only have 1 short 20 miler on it and that was with the stock lube. I washed it all off when I got home and am currently letting the Dumonde Tech chain lube soak in good for tomorrowís ride. That probably will quiet things up a lot. The drivetrain is flawless otherwise. Everything was tuned perfectly and shifts like a dream.

-It rides awesome. My Emonda that I had was harsh. This thing feels way less effected by bad roads. Itís not a plush bike by any means though. It doesnít feel like a magic carpet over rough tarmac like my Revolt does, but that bike also has 42c tires ran at 40 psi. I am very happy with the ride of the bike. Itís still very stiff and very connected to the road but it doesnít beat you up.

I only have 1 ride in but I will be riding it daily next week and dialing everything in and maybe doing some gearing changes so I can be ready for a week long vacation the following week where I will be doing some serious mileage. Iíll post updates as I get them.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask!
Awesome, thanks for all the information. Definitely interested in hearing further impressions (ride, drivetrain, etc.) as you get some more miles in the saddle. I'm looking to buy in the next few months, and the main contenders are this or the Parlee RZ7, unless anything else new pops up soon... leaning towards the Empire for now!
jkonst is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 02:16 PM
  #11  
BluFalconActual
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Better pictures




BluFalconActual is offline  
Old 10-20-19, 02:41 PM
  #12  
MSchott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 374

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Great looking and specíd bike! Enjoy.
MSchott is offline  
Likes For MSchott:
Old 10-20-19, 06:38 PM
  #13  
Sojodave
Senior Member
 
Sojodave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 555

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 62 Posts
I have a Fezzari Cr3 with Di2 and I stopped by their store in Lindon and saw the new Empires last week. The Empires are good looking bikes and they are one of the few bikes that have a one-piece carbon frame.
Sojodave is offline  
Likes For Sojodave:
Old 10-21-19, 07:28 AM
  #14  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 1,402

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 393 Posts
Congrats!! Good looking bike!

Do you have toe overlap? Looks like you might not. I'm on a long term hunt for a lightweight road bike with enough front center to prevent overlap. I don't have it on the Revolt, and I've gotten used to not even having to think about it. Now every time I smack my foot on the Tarmac, I'm reminded to keep looking. lol (but I do love the Tarmac, fantastic bike)

Last edited by Rides4Beer; 10-21-19 at 09:07 AM.
Rides4Beer is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 08:50 AM
  #15  
BluFalconActual
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer View Post
Congrats!! Good looking bike!

Do you have toe overlap? Looks like you might not. I'm on a long term hunt for a lightweight road bike with enough front center to prevent overlap. I don't have it on the Revolt, and I've gotten used to not even having to think about it. Now every time I smack my foot on the Tarmac, I'm reminding to keep looking. lol (but I do love the Tarmac, fantastic bike)
Thanks!

I didnít notice any overlap on my first ride. Iíll check it out when I do my usual 30 mile loop during my lunch break today.
BluFalconActual is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 09:06 AM
  #16  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 1,402

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual View Post
Thanks!

I didnít notice any overlap on my first ride. Iíll check it out when I do my usual 30 mile loop during my lunch break today.
Looking at the specs, looks like the trail and headtube angle are what I'm looking for. What size did you end up with, and do you know the total weight?

Price looks good too. Do they let you mix and match? I want Ultegra, but also want the FSA integrated cockpit, on their website they only offer that with the SL and SRAM groupsets. I like the paint on the Elite.
Rides4Beer is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 09:12 AM
  #17  
BluFalconActual
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I ended up with a Large. I donít know the weight but itís not heavy at all.
I donít know about the mix and match thing but all it would take is a phone call. They were super helpful and willing to do custom stuff when I was ordering mine. I was tempted to do a mixture of the top 3 builds (Force/Enve/alloy bar) but instead just went with the stock build.
When I get access to a scale, Iíll throw it on
BluFalconActual is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 09:56 AM
  #18  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 1,402

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual View Post
I ended up with a Large. I donít know the weight but itís not heavy at all.
I donít know about the mix and match thing but all it would take is a phone call. They were super helpful and willing to do custom stuff when I was ordering mine. I was tempted to do a mixture of the top 3 builds (Force/Enve/alloy bar) but instead just went with the stock build.
When I get access to a scale, Iíll throw it on
Thanks. Looking at my retul fit info from my last bike, I'd prob end up with a Medium, which is 12mm less wheelbase than your L, could be the difference between having overlap or not.

Have you done much descending yet? I'm guessing it feels pretty stable with the long wheelbase and relaxed head tube angle.

I sent them an email.
Rides4Beer is offline  
Old 10-21-19, 10:36 AM
  #19  
puma1552
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 728

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
Great looking bike, just not feeling the Bianchi color scheme on a non-Bianchi.
puma1552 is offline  
Old 10-23-19, 08:41 AM
  #20  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 1,402

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 393 Posts
They said no problem doing the integrated cockpit on the Elite frame, can also do Di2 (I would not want to have to replace cables with that setup lol).

If there's no toe overlap on this bike, it will def be on the top of my list. A lightweight disc road bike with no overlap is exactly what I want. I'm not doing crits, I don't need twitchy handling, I want a long wheelbase and front center for stable handling and descending, but still with a racy geo for fast road races and group rides.
Rides4Beer is offline  
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 10-23-19, 09:20 AM
  #21  
BigPoser
Senior Member
 
BigPoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 599

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
That is a great looking machine!
BigPoser is offline  
Old 10-24-19, 08:17 AM
  #22  
BluFalconActual
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Sorry I havenít gotten back about to toe overlap thing. As soon as the week started, I got drilled with the flu and Iím just starting to get back on my feet. Iím on the mend so Iím hopefully going to take it out tomorrow and report back
BluFalconActual is offline  
Old 10-24-19, 08:56 AM
  #23  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 1,402

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual View Post
Sorry I havenít gotten back about to toe overlap thing. As soon as the week started, I got drilled with the flu and Iím just starting to get back on my feet. Iím on the mend so Iím hopefully going to take it out tomorrow and report back
No worries, hope you're better soon! I appreciate you checking. I asked Fezzari and they said there's too many variables, shoe size, cleat position, crank length, etc. Which is true, so I'll just have to hunt out people who have the bike and can check. lol
Rides4Beer is offline  
Old 10-24-19, 10:15 AM
  #24  
Clipped_in
Rubber side down
 
Clipped_in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Teh Quickie Mart
Posts: 1,713

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 72 Posts
Nice ride OP--enjoy! Fezzari headquarters in near me and a lot of people around here ride them. I've never talked to anyone that wasn't happy with their Fezzari bike.
Clipped_in is offline  
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 10-24-19, 01:06 PM
  #25  
BluFalconActual
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer View Post
No worries, hope you're better soon! I appreciate you checking. I asked Fezzari and they said there's too many variables, shoe size, cleat position, crank length, etc. Which is true, so I'll just have to hunt out people who have the bike and can check. lol
Still way too sick to ride, but I did hook my shoe into my pedal real quick and had no toe overlap with a little over an inch to spare. This is with a Large frame, 175 cranks, Ultegra pedals and a size 46 Fizik shoe.
BluFalconActual is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.