Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BMXer's take on roadbiking...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

BMXer's take on roadbiking...

Old 07-04-05, 08:43 PM
  #1  
FireTeamCharlie
Can't touch this!
Thread Starter
 
FireTeamCharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Barre, MA
Posts: 578

Bikes: Hoffman Disrupter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMXer's take on roadbiking...

I myself am a BMXer. And have always called Road Bikes "French" Bikes, for many reasons. On being that, seeing a 50 year old man in a pair of bicycle pants is disturbing and hilarious at the same time. Me and my group of BMXers(my friends), have seen many BMX vs. Roadbike races. and I can say 9 times out of 10, you guys have won, but not without an a challenge from my BMX counterparts. Today I rode, a Road bike and I have alot of respect for you guys. Riding in a crouching position in tight pants, thats gotta to be uncomfortable. I'd like to ask you guys, whats the fastest you've ever hit on you bike, and whats a cheap speedometer for a bike?
FireTeamCharlie is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 08:48 PM
  #2  
STEVO820
i am eddy.
 
STEVO820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SUB_CHI-TOWN
Posts: 517

Bikes: TREK 1000, Lemond Sarthe, Formaggio T.I.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i once was comming home from work and i crossed the street along with two bmxers and they looked back and popped wheelies across the street and looked back to see how far i was. right when they looked back they saw me get in my drops (the down position) and sprinted right pass them. as i passed them i yelled "come on catch up" as i continued to fly pass them. they where about 200-250ft ahead of me and when i went passed them i was clocking at 28mph.

fastest for my was 35 so far im sure i can do better with my new bike but i dont have a computer for it.

i got my sigma for like 30 bucks and it was a higher level one. im sure you can get one for 20 bucks
STEVO820 is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 08:49 PM
  #3  
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FireTeamCharlie
I myself am a BMXer. And have always called Road Bikes "French" Bikes, for many reasons. On being that, seeing a 50 year old man in a pair of bicycle pants is disturbing and hilarious at the same time. Me and my group of BMXers(my friends), have seen many BMX vs. Roadbike races. and I can say 9 times out of 10, you guys have won, but not without an a challenge from my BMX counterparts. Today I rode, a Road bike and I have alot of respect for you guys. Riding in a crouching position in tight pants, thats gotta to be uncomfortable. I'd like to ask you guys, whats the fastest you've ever hit on you bike, and whats a cheap speedometer for a bike?
The time the BMXer won.....describe this.

P.S. Nice post, I enjoyed it.
53-11_alltheway is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 08:59 PM
  #4  
FireTeamCharlie
Can't touch this!
Thread Starter
 
FireTeamCharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Barre, MA
Posts: 578

Bikes: Hoffman Disrupter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was probably the most miraculous moment in BMX history. My friend, Mike was riding his bike, when he saw this road bike coming down the hill. He stopped the guy and asked him if he wanted to race this 300 yard flat strip of road, which ended with a set of railroad tracks. Now my friend Mike, runs 44/13 gearing in his bike for this reason. When they started the road bike pulled ahead, but Mike caught back up, and for the rest of the race it was them neck and neck, both pedaling their asses off. But by the tiem they reached the railroad tracks Mike had pulled ahead by a foot resulting in BMX's greatest victory in history, if only I had a Camera.
FireTeamCharlie is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:06 PM
  #5  
Sasquatchula
Flowbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeez, I've been meaning to start a thread like this for a while. I picked up an old BMX cruiser a few weeks ago for kicking around on, and I have to say props to all you BMX kids who have paced me on the road over the years. Thats some F***ing HARD work! Just riding to the shopping center is twice the effort. The first time I hit a hill, I seriously began to consider the intelligence of my BMX purchase. BUT,(big but) riding around on it is soooo much fun!I feel half my age when I swing my leg over that saddle!
Sasquatchula is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:09 PM
  #6  
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FireTeamCharlie
It was probably the most miraculous moment in BMX history. My friend, Mike was riding his bike, when he saw this road bike coming down the hill. He stopped the guy and asked him if he wanted to race this 300 yard flat strip of road, which ended with a set of railroad tracks. Now my friend Mike, runs 44/13 gearing in his bike for this reason. When they started the road bike pulled ahead, but Mike caught back up, and for the rest of the race it was them neck and neck, both pedaling their asses off. But by the tiem they reached the railroad tracks Mike had pulled ahead by a foot resulting in BMX's greatest victory in history, if only I had a Camera.
44/13 gearing isn't bad, but what size was the tire ...20" or 24"? (affects final gear ratio)

Yeah, I'm getting a fixed gear so I think about cold starts like that.
53-11_alltheway is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:11 PM
  #7  
STEVO820
i am eddy.
 
STEVO820's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SUB_CHI-TOWN
Posts: 517

Bikes: TREK 1000, Lemond Sarthe, Formaggio T.I.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sasquatchula
Jeez, I've been meaning to start a thread like this for a while. I picked up an old BMX cruiser a few weeks ago for kicking around on, and I have to say props to all you BMX kids who have paced me on the road over the years. Thats some F***ing HARD work! Just riding to the shopping center is twice the effort. The first time I hit a hill, I seriously began to consider the intelligence of my BMX purchase. BUT,(big but) riding around on it is soooo much fun!I feel half my age when I swing my leg over that saddle!
stop talking about it. last time i was at the lbs i was soo close to asking them how much i can get a trek vert for only problem is i dont see me trying to do any stunts on it anytime soon.

hey FireTeamCharlie on that note. if you see a guy on a bmx bike and cant do any stunts do you knock him or is it no big deal? i think that is equilivant to when a roadie passes another roadie with out even trying right?
STEVO820 is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:17 PM
  #8  
FireTeamCharlie
Can't touch this!
Thread Starter
 
FireTeamCharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Barre, MA
Posts: 578

Bikes: Hoffman Disrupter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20", I ran 44/13 last year and loved the top end speed, but after getting my DK with 39/14, screw that. EDIT: Nope I suck at tricks, so I can't say much
FireTeamCharlie is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:19 PM
  #9  
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FireTeamCharlie
20", I ran 44/13 last year and loved the top end speed, but after getting my DK with 39/14, screw that.
When I used to ride a BMX. Didn't seem that long ago I always liked the tall ratios...Hmmm I guess I was onto something back then.

Only problem was cold starts my friends on shorter gears would just blow me away.

44-13 with BMX tires is 63 inches so he was still spinning like crazy though to get speed. Most road bikes are well over 100 gear inches.
53-11_alltheway is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:21 PM
  #10  
Sasquatchula
Flowbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NorCal
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
STEVO820

Come clossserr...jooiiinnn uuussss......
Sasquatchula is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:21 PM
  #11  
KevRC4130
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 139

Bikes: Bianchi Trofeo, Fly Pantera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'd consider myself a BMXer first, and a road biker second. Both rides have their fun moments and specialties. If road biking interests you, you should find yourself a nice used ride. I am now doing the whole nine yards, clipless pedals, spandex, etc. It's great!
KevRC4130 is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:32 PM
  #12  
hypersnazz
"Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles."
 
hypersnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,094

Bikes: '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STEVO820
stop talking about it. last time i was at the lbs i was soo close to asking them how much i can get a trek vert for only problem is i dont see me trying to do any stunts on it anytime soon.

hey FireTeamCharlie on that note. if you see a guy on a bmx bike and cant do any stunts do you knock him or is it no big deal? i think that is equilivant to when a roadie passes another roadie with out even trying right?
Just like roadies, some riders are dicks and some are good people.
hypersnazz is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:42 PM
  #13  
Body2big
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Harrisville, RI
Posts: 212

Bikes: Iron Horse Sinister DX (MB) Iron Horse Triumph (road)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a new roadie.. I still do the MTB too. No BMX though. Anyone could pass me on the road right now but put on the trails and I hold my own. I had my bike to 43MPH on a big downhill and loved every minute (second) of it. not really sure what my fastest speed is on the flats yet.

Shawn
Body2big is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:43 PM
  #14  
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How old are you? Pretty soon that BMX is going to feel small.
53-11_alltheway is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:47 PM
  #15  
hypersnazz
"Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles."
 
hypersnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,094

Bikes: '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 53-11_alltheway
How old are you? Pretty soon that BMX is going to feel small.
I'm 6'1" and still perfectly at home rockin' 20-inchers. =)
hypersnazz is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:53 PM
  #16  
FireTeamCharlie
Can't touch this!
Thread Starter
 
FireTeamCharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Barre, MA
Posts: 578

Bikes: Hoffman Disrupter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im 14, and 6'2" and 184 pounds. I am comfortable on my 20",
FireTeamCharlie is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:53 PM
  #17  
gattm99
Rouleur
 
gattm99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: HARRISBURG IL
Posts: 718

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A BMXer ought to beat a road bike in a 300 yard sprint, they have alot of advantages in a short, balls to the wall, race.
gattm99 is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 09:55 PM
  #18  
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FireTeamCharlie
Im 14, and 6'2" and 184 pounds. I am comfortable on my 20",
Whoah.

You are going to be a big mofo ...I wish I got some of that growth hormone they put in school lunches these days.

I'm predicting 6'6". I was 5'10" as a freshman.
53-11_alltheway is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 10:00 PM
  #19  
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,354

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Ok, let's put petacchi in a road bike and mcewen on a bmx. Let's see who wins.
operator is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 10:12 PM
  #20  
pedex 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: under bridge in cardboard box
Posts: 5,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Ok, let's put petacchi in a road bike and mcewen on a bmx. Let's see who wins.
In a really short race it would be interesting, dont discount BMX bikes, I know McEwen is an ex BMX rider, and he has the handling skills to go with his wicked sprint too.

I know that all the ex BMX now messenger guys I know ALL have wicked handling skills, they can do stuff on a track bike that will blow your mind.

You can sprint pretty fast on a little BMX bike for a short distance, but you wont be hitting 45mph either, but from a dead stop head to head against a road bike, you have a shot at it, Ive seen it happen before, Ive had kids give me a pretty good run up to about 25-30mph, then they usually cant hang on, but my limit on flat road is 39-40mph on a good day on a track bike, so its not a huge huge speed advantage until you add some distance, anything over 1/8-1/4 mile maybe.
pedex is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 10:16 PM
  #21  
DocJ
It's a Sledgehammer..
 
DocJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seeing a 50 year old man in a pair of bicycle pants is disturbing and hilarious at the same time.
...as opposed to a fifty year old guy riding a bmx?

A BMXer ought to beat a road bike in a 300 yard sprint, they have alot of advantages in a short, balls to the wall, race.
300 yards?.. No.
DocJ is offline  
Old 07-04-05, 11:19 PM
  #22  
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJ

300 yards?.. No.
I agree. No way is a 63 gear inch bicycle going to be able to hang with a road bike for that distance. I didn't even notice the distance mentioned the first time.

he might have meant 300 feet or maybe it was even shorter (likely)
53-11_alltheway is offline  
Old 07-05-05, 12:29 AM
  #23  
hypersnazz
"Uh-uh. Respek Knuckles."
 
hypersnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 1,094

Bikes: '06 LeMond Versailles, '04 S&M Beringer, '03 Quamen Bowls, '68 Raleigh Grand Prix (converted to fixed gear)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran the calculations and posted them in another thread on the BMX forum...to get the same gearing as 53/11 on a BMX bike you'd have to be running about 55/8 on the 20". They don't even sell sprockets that big.

And I don't buy the 'quick sprint' angle, either. Why would a bike in good hands capable of approximating the same gearing as a BMX bike but equipped with clipless pedals and weighing in most cases 10-15lbs *less* lose in a dead sprint? The *bike* clearly is not at a disadvantage. The rider is a different story.
hypersnazz is offline  
Old 07-05-05, 12:33 AM
  #24  
53-11_alltheway
"Great One"
 
53-11_alltheway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Might as well be underwater because I make less drag than a torpedoE (no aero bars here though)
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hypersnazz
I
And I don't buy the 'quick sprint' angle, either. Why would a bike in good hands capable of approximating the same gearing as a BMX bike but equipped with clipless pedals and weighing in most cases 10-15lbs *less* lose in a dead sprint? The *bike* clearly is not at a disadvantage. The rider is a different story.
Why would the road bike win?

Mostly due to aerodynamics. Rolling resistance is better too, but aero and gearing are going to give the road cyclist more top end speed for the same power input.
53-11_alltheway is offline  
Old 07-05-05, 08:45 AM
  #25  
dooley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMX bikes do have a slight mechanical advantage, namely the way they use their handlebars. That and the fact that most BMXers do nothing but sprint from a standstill all day long.
dooley is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.