Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Max Tire Pressure Label (700 x 32)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Max Tire Pressure Label (700 x 32)

Old 12-30-19, 04:17 PM
  #51  
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,380
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbill2 View Post
I'm 160 as well, so I'll see what 70lbs psi does coming off my 80lbs with the 85lbs psi max. I know that at 80lbs psi riding on a wet pavement I can see only a very small wet imprint on the front tire, which means a small tire contact patch with the pavement.
80->70 psi, 12.5% larger contact patch.
asgelle is online now  
Old 12-30-19, 04:37 PM
  #52  
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,204

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
This whole thread is a roller coaster of misinformation and bickering. Top stuff, lads.

Here's what HED recommends for their wider rims (like OP's):

__________________
Cypress is offline  
Likes For Cypress:
Old 12-30-19, 04:43 PM
  #53  
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,380
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
This whole thread is a roller coaster of misinformation and bickering. Top stuff, lads.

Here's what HED recommends for their wider rims (like OP's):

Since you're so worried about misinformation, perhaps you could explain why two tires labeled 25mm but one measuring 25 mm and the other 28 mm should use the same pressure.
asgelle is online now  
Old 12-30-19, 04:46 PM
  #54  
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,204

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
Since you're so worried about misinformation, perhaps you could explain why two tires labeled 25mm but one measuring 25 mm and the other 28 mm should use the same pressure.
Are you assuming I am somehow responsible for labeling pressure ratings on different tires, or are you just strawmanning in order to sound "correct" about something?
__________________
Cypress is offline  
Likes For Cypress:
Old 12-30-19, 04:49 PM
  #55  
asgelle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,380
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
Are you assuming I am somehow responsible for labeling pressure ratings on different tires, or are you just strawmanning in order to sound "correct" about something?
I'm a) wondering why you chose to post that plot, b) warning readers that it is useless since the x-axis uses a nonsensical metric, and c) pointing out the hypocrisy of your writing about misinformation in this thread and then posting that very thing yourself.
asgelle is online now  
Old 12-30-19, 04:51 PM
  #56  
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,204

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle View Post
I'm a) wondering why you chose to post that plot, b) warning readers that it is useless since the x-axis uses a nonsensical metric, and c) pointing out the hypocrisy of your writing about misinformation in this thread and then posting that very thing yourself.
Man, you really have a bone to pick today.

Keep going. Your colors are starting to show.
__________________
Cypress is offline  
Likes For Cypress:
Old 12-30-19, 06:16 PM
  #57  
Anna_Sazzi
Extinct
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
This whole thread is a roller coaster of misinformation and bickering. Top stuff, lads.

Here's what HED recommends for their wider rims (like OP's):
So this charts out what their rims can withstand? They seem pretty weak.
Anna_Sazzi is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 06:30 PM
  #58  
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,204

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Anna_Sazzi View Post
So this charts out what their rims can withstand? They seem pretty weak.
I'm not sure how you made that leap, but here is the wording directly from HED:

The maximum pressure you should ever need to use on any Hed Plus or BLACK rim is 90 psi (6.2 bar) – even with a narrow 23mm tire. It’s true! We’re not kidding!

That’s not because 100 psi is dangerous for our rim, but because the ideal range is 65-80 psi for a 77kg (170lb) athlete. As a point of reference, the old school method said that higher pressure was always better, with many athletes using 120 psi or more for a 23mm tire.
__________________
Cypress is offline  
Likes For Cypress:
Old 12-30-19, 06:56 PM
  #59  
drbarney1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I had a tire split from too much pressure. I pay attention now when I inflate a tire.
drbarney1 is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 07:35 PM
  #60  
Racing Dan
Senior Member
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
This whole thread is a roller coaster of misinformation and bickering. Top stuff, lads.

Here's what HED recommends for their wider rims (like OP's):

Translation: If you are 175 lbs you should run 72 psi in a 23 mm and 62 psi in a 28 mm ... All of a sudden I understand the fear of pinch flatting ... :-)

What are these guys afraid of? Blowing up the rim or blowing the tyre off of the rim?

Lets just say the most other charts seem to recommend much higher pressure. Then again you should not exceed whatever it says in the tyre itself.
Racing Dan is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 07:48 PM
  #61  
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,204

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan View Post
Translation: If you are 175 lbs you should run 72 psi in a 23 mm and 62 psi in a 28 mm ... All of a sudden I understand the fear of pinch flatting ... :-)

What are these guys afraid of? Blowing up the rim or blowing the tyre off of the rim?

Lets just say the most other charts seem to recommend much higher pressure. Then again you should not exceed whatever it says in the tyre itself.
And I'm sure other charts aren't specific to wider rim widths. Are you running wide rims? If you are, you have nothing to fear at 72 psi. If you're running older narrow rims, 72 psi would definitely be too low.

I'm 164 and run a 25c tubed GP5K at 68F/71R on my HED Ardennes Plus Black Edition wheels with a 21mm internal width. I haven't pinch flatted in nearly 6 years of riding wide rims. The only time I run them above 75 is if I know I'll be spending significant time on gravel roads, racing on the glass-smooth blacktop of Portland International Raceway, or am going to gun a gravel KOM at mach cheese.
__________________
Cypress is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 08:27 PM
  #62  
Racing Dan
Senior Member
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 184 Posts
I have no idea what constitutes "a wider rim" but the claims sure sound like kool aid. 62 psi in a 28 mm is decidedly soft. I cant imagine its all of sudden not soft because you widen the rim a few mm. Why would you even go there and add a bunch of rolling resistance.

if you are 164 why deviate from the recommended 67 psi. Afraid of a pinch flat? ;-)
Racing Dan is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 08:44 PM
  #63  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,910
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan View Post
I have no idea what constitutes "a wider rim" but the claims sure sound like kool aid. 62 psi in a 28 mm is decidedly soft. I cant imagine its all of sudden not soft because you widen the rim a few mm. Why would you even go there and add a bunch of rolling resistance.
Why not test ride a bike(like the OP has) with 21mm inner width hoops, and 28mm road race/training tires? You would see how rim width makes a difference.

BTW, there isn't a huge increase in rolling resistance.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-30-19, 08:47 PM
  #64  
Anna_Sazzi
Extinct
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan View Post

Lets just say the most other charts seem to recommend much higher pressure. Then again you should not exceed whatever it says in the tyre itself.
Maybe there are some other charts out there that show very different results? 72psi for a 23mm tire seems like a foreign concept.
Anna_Sazzi is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 08:53 PM
  #65  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,910
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Anna_Sazzi View Post
Maybe there are some other charts out there that show very different results? 72psi for a 23mm tire seems like a foreign concept.
Most of the old charts don't take the wider rim/tubeless setup into account when they give inflation recommendations.

72psi on and old 14mm inner width hoop(with a tube), isn't going to work for most people that weigh more than a fart.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 09:13 PM
  #66  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,956

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4277 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 817 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Most of the old charts don't take the wider rim/tubeless setup into account when they give inflation recommendations.

72psi on and old 14mm inner width hoop(with a tube), isn't going to work for most people that weigh more than a fart.
But even Enve would put the 23mm at about 80-95psi for that weight range for their more modern 3.4s
I think all that anyone wants is some sorta data to support these pressures as being a good idea.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 09:19 PM
  #67  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,910
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
But even Enve would put the 23mm at about 80-95psi for that weight range for their more modern 3.4s
I think all that anyone wants is some sorta data to support these pressures as being a good idea.
80-95psi is a wide range for a recommended inflation. Does is state whether this is with or without tubes?

I'm not gonna try to explain their train of thought, but I'm sure if you read the article, it will explain everything you need to know.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 09:24 PM
  #68  
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,204

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan View Post
I have no idea what constitutes "a wider rim" but the claims sure sound like kool aid. 62 psi in a 28 mm is decidedly soft. I cant imagine its all of sudden not soft because you widen the rim a few mm. Why would you even go there and add a bunch of rolling resistance.

if you are 164 why deviate from the recommended 67 psi. Afraid of a pinch flat? ;-)
If you have no idea what a wide rim is, then you can't really have an informed opinion for this thread. Thinking a wider tire has more rolling resistance is actually the opposite of what is true. Widening the rim creates a much larger volume for the tube to expand into. Larger volume = less pressure required.

I'm not deviating at all, as a range is implied from the graph. 67 is a nice smooth ride, but I found that 68/71 behaved better in the corners.
__________________
Cypress is offline  
Likes For Cypress:
Old 12-30-19, 09:32 PM
  #69  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,910
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
If you have no idea what a wide rim is, then you can't really have an informed opinion for this thread.
I didn't want to be the one to say it,

Thanks

noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-30-19, 09:33 PM
  #70  
Racing Dan
Senior Member
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,101
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 184 Posts
Informed opinion? Thats rich! :-)

You and NS are the ones making unusual claims, regurgitating the HED blurb and then ask others to do the homework to back it up.
Racing Dan is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 09:38 PM
  #71  
BengalCat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brentwood WLA
Posts: 326

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
OK, now the OP has learned by the many posts from our members that a lot of us don't read the OP before responding to it.

With that settled, the OP simply for his information should just be advised that the tire (specific tire, brand, model, and year) he asks about is the lowest price road bike tire Bontrager makes. (It is still a fine and economically low price tire.) But if he is also looking for a Bontrager higher-performing clincher tire then Trek/Bontrager offer's him at least four or five other tire choices. (All of which at the same size as his current tire offer higher but not the same pressures that are on his current tire. That's because their pressure ranges are specific to them, just like the OP's tire pressure range is specific to it!)
BengalCat is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 09:46 PM
  #72  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,910
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan View Post
Informed opinion? Thats rich! :-)

You and NS are the ones making unusual claims.
Au contraire.

Most everyone here, with experience riding 32mm modern road racing/training tires(on wider hoops), is giving a similar recommendation.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-30-19, 09:48 PM
  #73  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,910
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4694 Post(s)
Liked 1,860 Times in 991 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat View Post
OK, now the OP has learned by the many posts from our members that a lot of us don't read the OP before responding to it.

With that settled, the OP simply for his information should just be advised that the tire (specific tire, brand, model, and year) he asks about is the lowest price road bike tire Bontrager makes. (It is still a fine and economically low price tire.) But if he is also looking for a Bontrager higher-performing clincher tire then Trek/Bontrager offer's him at least four or five other tire choices. (All of which at the same size as his current tire offer higher but not the same pressures that are on his current tire. That's because their pressure ranges are specific to them, just like the OP's tire pressure range is specific to it!)
Moving the goalposts much?
noodle soup is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 10:04 PM
  #74  
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,204

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan View Post

You and NS are the ones making unusual claims, regurgitating the HED blurb and then ask others to do the homework to back it up.
The claims are unusual to you because you don’t know much about this topic.

There’s no homework needed here. All the understanding that is needed is to know that larger volume requires less pressure to maintain the same “hardness”. You should be able to see that by pumping your 23’s up to 120 psi and comparing them to a MTB tire pumped up to 45 psi. Feels about the same. A wider rim creates more volume, hence, less pressure.
__________________
Cypress is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 10:05 PM
  #75  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 7,956

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4277 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 817 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
80-95psi is a wide range for a recommended inflation. Does is state whether this is with or without tubes?
.
I summarized.. they actually break the 80-95 down (eg. 3-6 psi increments) more than HED based on weight.. eg. 140-150lbs, 150-160, etc.. HED only has 140-180 as a single category.
Enve states these as starting pressures based on Tubeless. Even so, though we know that eg. 70psi TL will be better than 70psi tubed, but do we know that recommended 72psi TL is better than 80 or 85psi TL? If so, in what way is it better (comfort only, speed only, comfort and speed)?
Sy Reene is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.