Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Old 01-10-20, 03:01 PM
  #51  
Razorrock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 120

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
situations differ, but on the section of road in the OPs 1st post, taking a full lane is unnecessary. If you ever went for a ride on that section of Dove Valley Rd, youd probably see that. I dont hug the curb in that area, but ride about 3 to the left of the white line.
I think we may be splitting hairs on 1/2 or 1/3. what's the difference, maybe a foot. I wish the roads I ride looked as nice as the one in the OP. Roads here are wore down where the car tires ride so riding in the 1/3 puts you right in the roughest part.
Razorrock is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 03:03 PM
  #52  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 37,634

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 519 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17450 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,319 Posts
The difference between 1/2 and 1/3 is 1/6.

Just saying.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-10-20, 03:08 PM
  #53  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 9,735

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8097 Post(s)
Liked 4,180 Times in 2,254 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
The difference between 1/2 and 1/3 is 1/6.

Just saying.
Serious cycling is a game of relatively large denominators, Fredheimer.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 03:21 PM
  #54  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock View Post
I think we may be splitting hairs on 1/2 or 1/3. what's the difference, maybe a foot. I wish the roads I ride looked as nice as the one in the OP. Roads here are wore down where the car tires ride so riding in the 1/3 puts you right in the roughest part.
We are pretty lucky in this area. The roads are wide, with smooth pavement in most areas, wide bike lanes, and good visibility.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 03:45 PM
  #55  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 37,634

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 519 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17450 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock View Post
I think we may be splitting hairs on 1/2 or 1/3. what's the difference, maybe a foot. I wish the roads I ride looked as nice as the one in the OP. Roads here are wore down where the car tires ride so riding in the 1/3 puts you right in the roughest part.
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
The difference between 1/2 and 1/3 is 1/6.

Just saying.
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Serious cycling is a game of relatively large denominators, Fredheimer.


p.s. I need to get a lesson in nested quotes from you-know-who
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-10-20, 04:21 PM
  #56  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 244

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
The difference between 1/2 and 1/3 is 1/6.

Just saying.
Cycling is 90% mental.
The other half is physical.
Metallifan33 is offline  
Likes For Metallifan33:
Old 01-10-20, 04:25 PM
  #57  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 9,735

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8097 Post(s)
Liked 4,180 Times in 2,254 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post


p.s. I need to get a lesson in nested quotes from you-know-who
Not if you want to keep me as a reader. He is a colleague, you know.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 05:29 PM
  #58  
RiceAWay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
So, I'm planning my ride for the weekend, and there's this pretty sweet 20 mile loop near my house that has a bike lane for almost all of it. There's a .5 mile stretch that doesn't.
Being a noob who so far has only stuck to riding in my neighborhood, I'm a bit anxious about riding on a road with no bike lane (I stay conservative on where I ride given my experience level). The speed limit here is 45 MPH.
My question is, would you guys ride on the shoulder here?
Do you take the speed limit of the road into consideration?
I notice there's a bigger shoulder on the opposite side (should I ride wrong way there?).
Or am I being a wuss and should I just shut up and ride on the shoulder?
Just wondering as I don't know anyone who cycles unfortunately.

FWIW, there's a double yellow, so technically, a car wouldn't be able to pass me.

Bike lanes are mostly to make bicyclists feel that they have the rights that they have without bike lanes. Especially in Phoenix where most of the roads do not have bike lanes and drivers are fairly polite if you are polite to them. You try to stay as far to the right as is safe FOR YOU. And if you're on a narrow road you try not to impede traffic as much as possible. I can't remember the laws in Arizona but most states allow cars and trucks to pass bicycles over the double yellow lines. It will make you nervous that about one percent of the drivers do not give you what you would consider to be sufficient space but just remember that a miss is as good as a mile.

Always maintain a steady course and when you can't stand the traffic anymore Phoenix has a lot of bike trails in the washes. The problems with bike trails is that pedestrians offer almost as much irritation as drivers so you trade one problem for another. You can ride on dirt roads with street tires by just remembering to keep your wheels under you and not cornering hard as you can but most people don't on the road.

Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Wheel and if you stick at it you can retain your flexibility and strength well into your 80's before your balance starts giving you problems. Though some people do not ever get that problem. A speed record was recently set by a 105 year old man.
RiceAWay is offline  
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 01-10-20, 05:38 PM
  #59  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay View Post
Bike lanes are mostly to make bicyclists feel that they have the rights that they have without bike lanes. Especially in Phoenix where most of the roads do not have bike lanes and drivers are fairly polite if you are polite to them. You try to stay as far to the right as is safe FOR YOU. And if you're on a narrow road you try not to impede traffic as much as possible. I can't remember the laws in Arizona but most states allow cars and trucks to pass bicycles over the double yellow lines. It will make you nervous that about one percent of the drivers do not give you what you would consider to be sufficient space but just remember that a miss is as good as a mile.

Always maintain a steady course and when you can't stand the traffic anymore Phoenix has a lot of bike trails in the washes. The problems with bike trails is that pedestrians offer almost as much irritation as drivers so you trade one problem for another. You can ride on dirt roads with street tires by just remembering to keep your wheels under you and not cornering hard as you can but most people don't on the road.

Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Wheel and if you stick at it you can retain your flexibility and strength well into your 80's before your balance starts giving you problems. Though some people do not ever get that problem. A speed record was recently set by a 105 year old man.
where in the Phoenix area are you referring to when you say there arent bike lanes?
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 08:06 PM
  #60  
debade
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 423

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 61 Posts
Sorry, I did not read all the other responses. Probably the first 15 or so. So, if this was covered, I apologise.
I strongly recommend you take some time reviewing good biking techniques and the AZ regulations. You can find the bicycling regulations by googling them.

As for getting some tips about bike position and proper techniques, the League of American Bicyclists offers about 15 1 minute videos that I think would be worth your while. It would be good to watch them with an experienced road rider but if that person is not available, just watch by yourself. Here is the link to their offering. https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmart

BTW, in the posts I read, I think you received some good advice about not hugging the curb and not riding too far in the center of the lane. Knowing there is little traffic is good too. I would not rush through a half mile distance. I would be deliberate and confident so motorists feel comfortable passing you. I would also approach my city council and request they put a sign in each direction (likely $35 per sign, before installation which can be done by city staff) that says 'watch for bikes'. Ths is especially needed when a bike lane stops and a very narrow road begins.
debade is offline  
Likes For debade:
Old 01-10-20, 08:26 PM
  #61  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 45,996

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 759 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23095 Post(s)
Liked 1,174 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock View Post
I'm with bbbean on this. If you hug the side around here cars just scrape by even if the opposite lane is completely empty. I always ride the middle and stay there if oncoming traffic is approaching. (preventing a close pass) if no oncoming traffic I will fade to the right to assist the pass. Also I am not riding busy roads only occasional traffic.
This is an important caveat. I start getting anxious when a car behind me doesn't pass, because I know there will soon be a line of cars, with people likely getting ticked off at me.

It's completely an auto culture. I might as well be a space alien.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 01-10-20, 08:40 PM
  #62  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by debade View Post
Sorry, I did not read all the other responses. Probably the first 15 or so. So, if this was covered, I apologise.
I strongly recommend you take some time reviewing good biking techniques and the AZ regulations. You can find the bicycling regulations by googling them.

As for getting some tips about bike position and proper techniques, the League of American Bicyclists offers about 15 1 minute videos that I think would be worth your while. It would be good to watch them with an experienced road rider but if that person is not available, just watch by yourself. Here is the link to their offering. https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmart

BTW, in the posts I read, I think you received some good advice about not hugging the curb and not riding too far in the center of the lane. Knowing there is little traffic is good too. I would not rush through a half mile distance. I would be deliberate and confident so motorists feel comfortable passing you. I would also approach my city council and request they put a sign in each direction (likely $35 per sign, before installation which can be done by city staff) that says 'watch for bikes'. Ths is especially needed when a bike lane stops and a very narrow road begins.
the section of road the OP asked about is a very popular cycling route, and there are signs nearby. It's not a high traffic area. The OP originally said it's a half mile, but it's more like 2/10ths of a mile.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 08:59 PM
  #63  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 244

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay View Post
Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Wheel and if you stick at it you can retain your flexibility and strength well into your 80's before your balance starts giving you problems. Though some people do not ever get that problem. A speed record was recently set by a 105 year old man.
Thanks! Great to know. I just started because I got sick and tired of hurting my knees and ankles on runs. I'm having so much fun, I should have done this 20 years ago! Oh well.
Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 09:02 PM
  #64  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 244

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay View Post
Especially in Phoenix where most of the roads do not have bike lanes and drivers are fairly polite if you are polite to them. .
Recently there seems to be a lot of bike lanes popping up which is good. Of course it depends on where you live (I just moved to my neighborhood a couple of years ago and am realizing how lucky I am). I also found the bike lane overlay in google maps and was surprised at how many bike lanes Phoenix has now...

Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 09:17 PM
  #65  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 244

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by debade View Post
Sorry, I did not read all the other responses. Probably the first 15 or so. So, if this was covered, I apologise.
I strongly recommend you take some time reviewing good biking techniques and the AZ regulations. You can find the bicycling regulations by googling them.

As for getting some tips about bike position and proper techniques, the League of American Bicyclists offers about 15 1 minute videos that I think would be worth your while. It would be good to watch them with an experienced road rider but if that person is not available, just watch by yourself. Here is the link to their offering. https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmart

BTW, in the posts I read, I think you received some good advice about not hugging the curb and not riding too far in the center of the lane. Knowing there is little traffic is good too. I would not rush through a half mile distance. I would be deliberate and confident so motorists feel comfortable passing you. I would also approach my city council and request they put a sign in each direction (likely $35 per sign, before installation which can be done by city staff) that says 'watch for bikes'. Ths is especially needed when a bike lane stops and a very narrow road begins.
Thanks Debade! I'll check out the videos for sure.
Interesting point about the sign. I think I'll look into that.
Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 08:45 AM
  #66  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
Recently there seems to be a lot of bike lanes popping up which is good. Of course it depends on where you live (I just moved to my neighborhood a couple of years ago and am realizing how lucky I am). I also found the bike lane overlay in google maps and was surprised at how many bike lanes Phoenix has now...

That map is outdated by about 2 years. Sun Cty and Sun City West is also a very safe place to ride(but flat/boring).
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-11-20, 08:48 AM
  #67  
BillyD
Administrator
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 30,514

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9962 Post(s)
Liked 3,731 Times in 2,104 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
He is a colleague, you know.
Oh?
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 01:04 PM
  #68  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 244

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
That map is outdated by about 2 years. Sun Cty and Sun City West is also a very safe place to ride(but flat/boring).
Well that's good to hear!
Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 01:44 PM
  #69  
RiceAWay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
where in the Phoenix area are you referring to when you say there arent bike lanes?
I was in Phoenix a couple of years ago riding with people native to the area and I saw very few bike lanes. In many more traveled routes there were wide shoulders but these are not bike lanes
RiceAWay is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 01:50 PM
  #70  
RiceAWay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
This is an important caveat. I start getting anxious when a car behind me doesn't pass, because I know there will soon be a line of cars, with people likely getting ticked off at me.

It's completely an auto culture. I might as well be a space alien.
Also when you come to a four way stop and the other people do not take their proper right-of-way because I'm balancing on the bike instead of putting a foot down. I presently had a ding on my shin because I had to put a foot down when I stopped and then missed the pedal when I took off.
RiceAWay is offline  
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 01-11-20, 01:51 PM
  #71  
RiceAWay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
That map is outdated by about 2 years. Sun Cty and Sun City West is also a very safe place to ride(but flat/boring).
In Sun City you have to be very careful of Golf Carts being driven on the street by old people with poor vision.
RiceAWay is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 03:40 PM
  #72  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 9,735

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8097 Post(s)
Liked 4,180 Times in 2,254 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Oh?
Pathologist.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 03:42 PM
  #73  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay View Post
I was in Phoenix a couple of years ago riding with people native to the area and I saw very few bike lanes. In many more traveled routes there were wide shoulders but these are not bike lanes
So, you don't live here, and you really don't know the situation.

Thanks for that.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 04:09 PM
  #74  
RiceAWay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
So, you don't live here, and you really don't know the situation.

Thanks for that.
So you live there and you do know the situation? In two weeks I went on over two dozen rides and bike lanes were rare. Ae you a down town commuter?
RiceAWay is offline  
Old 01-11-20, 04:55 PM
  #75  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,905
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 986 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay View Post
So you live there and you do know the situation? In two weeks I went on over two dozen rides and bike lanes were rare. Ae you a down town commuter?
bike lanes arent rare in the Phoenix area. Every bike shop in the Phoenix area has free maps that show the bike trails(and roads with bike lanes).

Sorry you couldnt find them.
noodle soup is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.