Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Old 01-10-20, 08:03 AM
  #1  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 243

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
Noob Question about Bike Lanes

So, I'm planning my ride for the weekend, and there's this pretty sweet 20 mile loop near my house that has a bike lane for almost all of it. There's a .5 mile stretch that doesn't.
Being a noob who so far has only stuck to riding in my neighborhood, I'm a bit anxious about riding on a road with no bike lane (I stay conservative on where I ride given my experience level). The speed limit here is 45 MPH.
My question is, would you guys ride on the shoulder here?
Do you take the speed limit of the road into consideration?
I notice there's a bigger shoulder on the opposite side (should I ride wrong way there?).
Or am I being a wuss and should I just shut up and ride on the shoulder?
Just wondering as I don't know anyone who cycles unfortunately.

FWIW, there's a double yellow, so technically, a car wouldn't be able to pass me.

Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 08:14 AM
  #2  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,766

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16049 Post(s)
Liked 4,793 Times in 2,529 Posts
Looks like good visibility and it's only a half-mile, I'd just ride it. I'd prolly haul ass, but I'd ride it.

Caveat: I have no knowledge of the traffic. If someone familiar with the road were to say that it's a heavily traveled road and/or not terribly courteous drivers, then I might reconsider.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 08:25 AM
  #3  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,002

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5929 Post(s)
Liked 2,625 Times in 1,451 Posts
There appears to be no shoulder there, just an 8" strip with a raised curb and unrideable stuff on the other side. You really need to give keep a safe margin from that stuff, in case you need to avoid an obstacle when there's a motor vehicle to your left, to name one scenario. Others will have different opinions, but what I would do is ride at least 3' away from that raised strip and deep enough into the carriageway to make it clear that you are not intending to split the lane and that anyone intending to pass is going to have to move left across the center line. It may feel dangerous, but it's the safest way to handle the situation in my opinion and I bet drivers are going to be understanding and polite on the whole. Going the wrong way on the other side is a ****ty option under any circumstances and I wouldn't consider it on a road like this with great sightlines and light traffic.

As a new rider in this situation, you are at no greater risk than a veteran. Enjoy and let us know if you don't survive!
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-10-20, 08:29 AM
  #4  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 243

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
As a new rider in this situation, you are at no greater risk than a veteran. Enjoy and let us know if you don't survive!
Lol! Thanks! Upon further review, it's a lot shorter of a stretch than the .5 mile I was thinking. It's more of a quarter mile if that.
Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 08:34 AM
  #5  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,167
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 204 Posts
What's up with the trail on the left? I'd probably ride that.
msu2001la is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 08:34 AM
  #6  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 33,766

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16049 Post(s)
Liked 4,793 Times in 2,529 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
There appears to be no shoulder there, just an 8" strip with a raised curb and unrideable stuff on the other side. You really need to give keep a safe margin from that stuff, in case you need to avoid an obstacle when there's a motor vehicle to your left, to name one scenario. Others will have different opinions, but what I would do is ride at least 3' away from that raised strip and deep enough into the carriageway to make it clear that you are not intending to split the lane and that anyone intending to pass is going to have to move left across the center line. It may feel dangerous, but it's the safest way to handle the situation in my opinion and I bet drivers are going to be understanding and polite on the whole. Going the wrong way on the other side is a ****ty option under any circumstances and I wouldn't consider it on a road like this with great sightlines and light traffic.

As a new rider in this situation, you are at no greater risk than a veteran. Enjoy and let us know if you don't survive!
+1. Yeah, I didn't mention that, but as above, give yourself a margin/don't encourage a squeeze. This is probably most important when there's oncoming traffic at the same time as being overtaken.

Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
Lol! Thanks! Upon further review, it's a lot shorter of a stretch than the .5 mile I was thinking. It's more of a quarter mile if that.
Good sprint training opportunity.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 08:40 AM
  #7  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 243

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
What's up with the trail on the left? I'd probably ride that.
Interesting that you brought that up, as it reminds me of another question I had.
To answer yours, I would take it but it doesn't join back to the road for another 3 miles at which point I'd have to cross over a median to get back to the right side.

If there is a Paved (cement) trail along a route, do you guys ride on the paved trail or on the road? Here is a pic a bit farther down the road with the paved trail on the right. My issue with the paved trail is I don't want to be zipping by at 20 mph with kids and strollers on it.

Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 08:40 AM
  #8  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,002

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5929 Post(s)
Liked 2,625 Times in 1,451 Posts
Let me add that I'd love have that road to ride on.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-10-20, 08:44 AM
  #9  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 34,688

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14454 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Let me add that I'd love have that road to ride on.
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
Interesting that you brought that up, as it reminds me of another question I had.
To answer yours, I would take it but it doesn't join back to the road for another 3 miles at which point I'd have to cross over a median to get back to the right side.

If there is a Paved (cement) trail along a route, do you guys ride on the paved trail or on the road? Here is a pic a bit farther down the road with the paved trail on the right. My issue with the paved trail is I don't want to be zipping by at 20 mph with kids and strollers on it.

Agree with comment above. Looks perfect.

If the trail is mostly empty, I would ride it. If the trail is full of walkers and kids, etc. I would ride the shoulder.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-10-20, 08:46 AM
  #10  
bbbean 
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,354

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 119 Posts
Take the lane. Position yourself in the center of the lane, ride predictably, and obey all applicable laws. It's safe and legal.

https://cyclingsavvy.org/road-cycling/
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  
Likes For bbbean:
Old 01-10-20, 08:47 AM
  #11  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,002

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5929 Post(s)
Liked 2,625 Times in 1,451 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
Interesting that you brought that up, as it reminds me of another question I had.
To answer yours, I would take it but it doesn't join back to the road for another 3 miles at which point I'd have to cross over a median to get back to the right side.

If there is a paved trail along a route, do you guys ride on the paved trail or on the road? Here is a pic a bit farther down the road with the paved trail on the right. My issue with the paved trail is I don't want to be zipping by at 20 mph with kids and strollers on it.
Road.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-10-20, 08:48 AM
  #12  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 243

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
Yeah, I should add, it is an official bike lane.
Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 09:01 AM
  #13  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,853
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4651 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
So, I'm planning my ride for the weekend, and there's this pretty sweet 20 mile loop near my house that has a bike lane for almost all of it. There's a .5 mile stretch that doesn't.
Being a noob who so far has only stuck to riding in my neighborhood, I'm a bit anxious about riding on a road with no bike lane (I stay conservative on where I ride given my experience level). The speed limit here is 45 MPH.
My question is, would you guys ride on the shoulder here?
Do you take the speed limit of the road into consideration?
I notice there's a bigger shoulder on the opposite side (should I ride wrong way there?).
Or am I being a wuss and should I just shut up and ride on the shoulder?
Just wondering as I don't know anyone who cycles unfortunately.

FWIW, there's a double yellow, so technically, a car wouldn't be able to pass me.

I ride on this road nearly every Saturday. That little section near Paloma Parkway is never very busy, and motorists are aware that cyclists are frequently in that area.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-10-20, 09:03 AM
  #14  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,853
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4651 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean View Post
Take the lane. Position yourself in the center of the lane, ride predictably, and obey all applicable laws. It's safe and legal.

https://cyclingsavvy.org/road-cycling/
Don't do this.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-10-20, 09:10 AM
  #15  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,853
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4651 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post

FWIW, there's a double yellow, so technically, a car wouldn't be able to pass me.
That's not the law here.

"a person driving a motor vehicle may cross the center lane double yellow line if necessary to pass a bicycle and no traffic is approaching from the opposite direction."

https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/...ls/hb2545p.htm
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-10-20, 09:11 AM
  #16  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 243

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I ride on this road nearly every Saturday. That little section near Paloma Parkway is never very busy, and motorists are aware that cyclists are frequently in that area.
I was wondering if you did!
Good to know that it's not busy (I've only driven it once and didn't notice many cars... it's not like there's a lot of stuff out there).
So do you just ride on the road for the short stretch?
Maybe I'll see you on Saturday
Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 09:11 AM
  #17  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 243

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
That's not the law here.

"a person driving a motor vehicle may cross the center lane double yellow line if necessary to pass a bicycle and no traffic is approaching from the opposite direction."

https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/...ls/hb2545p.htm
Ah... good information.
Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 09:12 AM
  #18  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,853
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4651 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Let me add that I'd love have that road to ride on.
It's a very popular section of road for cyclists.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 09:17 AM
  #19  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,266
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 311 Posts
I suggest riding at least a third of the way out into the lane.

This will improve your visibility to motorists, and it will encourage them to cross into the other lane to pass you. I have found that if I am far to the right, motorists will try to pass me while staying in the lane or when cars are oncoming in the other lane. This results in a close and dangerous pass.

By moving farther out, it forces the driver to cross the yellow line, and I have found that in most cases, once motorists commit to crossing, they tend to go really far over the yellow line.
topflightpro is offline  
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 01-10-20, 09:24 AM
  #20  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,853
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4651 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
I was wondering if you did!
Good to know that it's not busy (I've only driven it once and didn't notice many cars... it's not like there's a lot of stuff out there).
So do you just ride on the road for the short stretch?
Maybe I'll see you on Saturday
I have an 8" reddish grey goatee, so I'm easy to recognize.

Paloma Parkway and DV is 20 miles into our route. We usually travel east on Dove Valley, South on Cave Creek, and then head back west on Deer Valley..
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 09:27 AM
  #21  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,853
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4651 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
I suggest riding at least a third of the way out into the lane.

This will improve your visibility to motorists, and it will encourage them to cross into the other lane to pass you. I have found that if I am far to the right, motorists will try to pass me while staying in the lane or when cars are oncoming in the other lane. This results in a close and dangerous pass.

By moving farther out, it forces the driver to cross the yellow line, and I have found that in most cases, once motorists commit to crossing, they tend to go really far over the yellow line.
+1.

This gives us enough room, and forces the motorist to cross the double yellow to pass, without pissing off motorists at the same time.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-10-20, 09:27 AM
  #22  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,002

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5929 Post(s)
Liked 2,625 Times in 1,451 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
Yeah, I should add, it is an official bike lane.
Road.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-10-20, 09:32 AM
  #23  
Metallifan33
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Metallifan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 243

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I have an 8" reddish grey goatee, so I'm easy to recognize.

Paloma Parkway and DV is 20 miles into our route. We usually travel east on Dove Valley, South on Cave Creek, and then head back west on Deer Valley..
Nice! I'm planning on doing that exact thing. How is the stretch Southbound on Cave Creek around Jomax (where the shoulder narrows a bit?) People drive fast on Cave Creek, so I was a bit concerned about that... but it's encouraging to know other cyclists do it!
Metallifan33 is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 09:56 AM
  #24  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,853
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4651 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 956 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33 View Post
Nice! I'm planning on doing that exact thing. How is the stretch Southbound on Cave Creek around Jomax (where the shoulder narrows a bit?) People drive fast on Cave Creek, so I was a bit concerned about that... but it's encouraging to know other cyclists do it!
Cave Creek is fine until you get south of Deer Valley, then it becomes a business area, and the road is often congested..
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-10-20, 10:15 AM
  #25  
bbbean 
Senior Member
 
bbbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,354

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Don't do this.
Your logic is overwhelming.
__________________

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

bbbean is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.