Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question for users of chain quick/missing links

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question for users of chain quick/missing links

Old 01-21-20, 09:45 AM
  #1  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 752

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 126 Posts
Question for users of chain quick/missing links

Hi all,

I was wondering what kind of quick/missing links you guys were using? After doing some research, it seems like the Wippermann Connex Link is one of the best, but I can't find it where I live (not on Amazon either). There are a tons of cheap Chinese ones, however. Did some of you try one of these? If so, how was your experience?

Wippermann: 1 for 30$
Chinese: 4 for 10$

Last thing I want is the thing breaking up while riding.

Thanks!
eduskator is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 09:52 AM
  #2  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,434
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering what kind of quick/missing links you guys were using? After doing some research, it seems like the Wippermann Connex Link is one of the best, but I can't find it where I live (not on Amazon either). There are a tons of cheap Chinese ones, however. Did some of you try one of these? If so, how was your experience?

Wippermann: 1 for 30$
Chinese: 4 for 10$

Last thing I want is the thing breaking up while riding.

Thanks!
Why bother? Wippermann, SRAM, KMC, and Shimano chains all come with one.

https://www.bicyclehero.com/us/conne...CABEgIVkPD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Wippermann-Co...00750367&psc=1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Connex-11...SABEgIlhPD_BwE

Last edited by noodle soup; 01-21-20 at 09:59 AM.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-21-20, 10:00 AM
  #3  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,642

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13588 Post(s)
Liked 2,861 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Why bother? Wippermann, SRAM, KMC, and Shimano chains all come with one.
Yup, I use the one that comes with my Shimano chains. I think that I have a spare one in my tool roll, but I don't even know what it is, I just picked it up at the lbs.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-21-20, 10:06 AM
  #4  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,434
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
If I'm asking, it's obviously because I don't have one on mine that has plenty of lifespan left. I'd rather buy a 20$ link instead of a 100$ chain.
$100?

https://www.thebikesmiths.com/produc...iABEgJj4PD_BwE
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 10:08 AM
  #5  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 752

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 126 Posts
I'm not talking about this removable link, but the one that can be removed without any tools (quick release if you want!). I'd rather get this instead of buying the pliers.
eduskator is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 10:11 AM
  #6  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,642

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13588 Post(s)
Liked 2,861 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
If I'm asking, it's obviously because I don't have one on mine that has plenty of lifespan left. I'd rather buy a 20$ link instead of a 100$ chain.
So why not just mosey down to the lbs and pick up whatever they have? Otherwise, even the 105-level Shimano chains come with them at ~$25.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-21-20, 10:13 AM
  #7  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,434
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
I'm not talking about this removable link, but the one that can be removed without any tools (quick release if you want!). I'd rather get this instead of buying the pliers.
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
$57CAD with a new chain.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 10:14 AM
  #8  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,642

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13588 Post(s)
Liked 2,861 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
I'm not talking about this removable link, but the one that can be removed without any tools (quick release if you want!). I'd rather get this instead of buying the pliers.
You don't really need any special pliers for them. To remove, just use a regular pair of pliers and get enough slack so that you can squeeze opposite corners of the link - they pop right off.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-21-20, 10:19 AM
  #9  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,434
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
You don't really need any special pliers for them. To remove, just use a regular pair of pliers and get enough slack so that you can squeeze opposite corners of the link - they pop right off.
home use chain pliers aren't expensive

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Bicycl...sAAOSw7J1eCwbI
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 10:26 AM
  #10  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,642

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13588 Post(s)
Liked 2,861 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
home use chain pliers aren't expensive

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-Bicycl...sAAOSw7J1eCwbI
Still less expensive to use the pliers already in my tool box.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-21-20, 10:30 AM
  #11  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,434
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Still less expensive to use the pliers already in my tool box.
I haven't seen a traditional set of pliers that will do the job, but I haven't looked because I own a pair designed for the job.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-21-20, 10:39 AM
  #12  
Cypress 
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,199

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 305 Posts
I use a Leatherman or any other rough-jawed pliers. Put the quicklink at the top of a small loop, place the jaws of the pliers on the edges of the link diagonally (if that makes sense), then squeeze. I used two rocks to do this to a teammate's bike in the woods once.

As for the link itself, I use the one that came with with Shimano chain. If I need a new one, most LBS's carry just the link for $7.
__________________
Cypress is offline  
Likes For Cypress:
Old 01-21-20, 10:39 AM
  #13  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,696

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 237 Posts
All I use is Connex links, I will not go back to standard links. As mentioned above, Connex chains come with a Connex link. You can certainly choose to purchase the link separately but for not a lot more you could get it with the chain.

Edit, I think you were in the waxing thread. Yes definitely get the Connex link. I used them exclusively even before I waxed my chain. It's so much more easy and convenient to be able to remove the chain by hand.

Noodle posted the 11SO for $44, you can also get the 11SX (stainless steel inner and nickel outer) between $50 and $60.

Last edited by jadocs; 01-21-20 at 10:45 AM.
jadocs is offline  
Likes For jadocs:
Old 01-21-20, 10:40 AM
  #14  
billnuke1 
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Posts: 1,424

Bikes: Not nearly as many as before...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 150 Posts
My homework today when I get home... to look for maybe a set of tire tools that snap together to make a quick link tool...might have been a multi tool...might not even be...yet...
billnuke1 is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 10:41 AM
  #15  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,642

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13588 Post(s)
Liked 2,861 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I haven't seen a traditional set of pliers that will do the job, but I haven't looked because I own a pair designed for the job.
Put it in the small/small for as much slack possible. Gather up enough chain to double over the chain with the quick link at the end. Squeeze opposite corners of the link with pliers and they'll click right open.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-21-20, 10:51 AM
  #16  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,434
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1 View Post
My homework today when I get home... to look for maybe a set of tire tools that snap together to make a quick link tool...might have been a multi tool...might not even be...yet...
https://www.ebay.com/i/202858913713?...yABEgIxWfD_BwE
noodle soup is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 12:43 PM
  #17  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 752

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs View Post
All I use is Connex links, I will not go back to standard links. As mentioned above, Connex chains come with a Connex link. You can certainly choose to purchase the link separately but for not a lot more you could get it with the chain.

Edit, I think you were in the waxing thread. Yes definitely get the Connex link. I used them exclusively even before I waxed my chain. It's so much more easy and convenient to be able to remove the chain by hand.

Noodle posted the 11SO for $44, you can also get the 11SX (stainless steel inner and nickel outer) between $50 and $60.
Yes! They look great, easy to use, but I can't find the product where I live.

The 11S chain is close to 100$ where I live. Not all of us lives in the US of A . Moreover, my current one is far from being stretched to a point where I need to change it. I might just stick with pliers until I need a new one...

Last edited by eduskator; 01-21-20 at 12:50 PM.
eduskator is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 12:57 PM
  #18  
eduskator
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 752

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Still less expensive to use the pliers already in my tool box.
Can't say I didn't think of doing this, but lets just say that I tend to get impatient very quickly, and end up doing more harm than good when I don't have the right tools in hand. On the good side, I might end up needing a new chain
eduskator is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 01:08 PM
  #19  
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 5,927

Bikes: TWO Colnago C-RS w/Chorus 12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
Don't buy cheap no-name chinese quick links. I got some that didn't click-in to hold the link in place. I got my money back on e-bay.

Wipperman links are the best, but the cheapest price I've seen is two for $30 at Bikesmiths.

Now that I'm using Campy 12, there are only two choices - the KMC 12 link or the SRAM eagle 12. The latter fits the best. I got four of those for $15.
DaveSSS is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 01:57 PM
  #20  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,687

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3711 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 863 Posts
I use the KMC Missing Links that come with the chains. They still need tools to remove 'em tho, pliers or some makeshift tool. Missing Links are really tight at first, but loosen up quickly with reuse. I use Vise-Grip adjustable angle pliers to nudge 'em apart. Much easier on my hands. I've pinched blood blisters on my hands a few times using regular pliers.

Decades ago I used quick links that didn't require any tools. Wipperman links are the closest I've seen to those. I have Wippermans in my Amazon cart, might go ahead and order a set. They've actually decreased in price since I put 'em in the cart a couple of years ago.

There's a chain commonly carried by Walmart that includes a unique no-tools quick link. Can't remember the chain brand. The quick link has a spring metal plate. You just bend it slightly and it'll pop open. Some users claim it's not reliable. I used it for a couple of months last year and had no problems. It's still in a box somewhere. Only reason I removed it was to install a larger cassette and different rear derailleur, so that chain wasn't the right length.
canklecat is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 02:12 PM
  #21  
billnuke1 
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Posts: 1,424

Bikes: Not nearly as many as before...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 150 Posts
Yes!

This! That! Yes!
billnuke1 is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 02:19 PM
  #22  
billnuke1 
Senior Member
 
billnuke1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: the "Cape"
Posts: 1,424

Bikes: Not nearly as many as before...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I use the KMC Missing Links that come with the chains. They still need tools to remove 'em tho, pliers or some makeshift tool. Missing Links are really tight at first, but loosen up quickly with reuse. I use Vise-Grip adjustable angle pliers to nudge 'em apart. Much easier on my hands. I've pinched blood blisters on my hands a few times using regular pliers.

Decades ago I used quick links that didn't require any tools. Wipperman links are the closest I've seen to those. I have Wippermans in my Amazon cart, might go ahead and order a set. They've actually decreased in price since I put 'em in the cart a couple of years ago.

There's a chain commonly carried by Walmart that includes a unique no-tools quick link. Can't remember the chain brand. The quick link has a spring metal plate. You just bend it slightly and it'll pop open. Some users claim it's not reliable. I used it for a couple of months last year and had no problems. It's still in a box somewhere. Only reason I removed it was to install a larger cassette and different rear derailleur, so that chain wasn't the right length.

billnuke1 is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 02:36 PM
  #23  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,687

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3711 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 863 Posts
billnuke1 That's the one. I just found my chain. It's made by Taya, although it looks like "TAVA" on the links. Although mine uses their Sigma quick link that doesn't need a tool. Seems like a good chain, comparable to KMC.
canklecat is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 05:10 PM
  #24  
2cam16
Senior Member
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 3,587

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 286 Posts
KMC,Shimano, or SRAM are what I use. Never had a problem.
2cam16 is offline  
Old 01-21-20, 05:15 PM
  #25  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,434
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16 View Post
KMC,Shimano, or SRAM are what I use. Never had a problem.
those links all work fine, but are far more difficult to remove without tools, than a Wippermann link.

noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.