Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Question for you who wax your calves

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Question for you who wax your calves

Old 03-25-20, 06:07 PM
  #1  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
Thread Starter
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 5,956

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2990 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 307 Posts
Question for you who wax your calves

How many watts saved? Or, alternatively.. gain in avg mph?
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:21 PM
  #2  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,787

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5607 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 725 Posts
No idea. It makes a lot of PT easier, though. And looks better.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-25-20, 06:37 PM
  #3  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,195
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 707 Posts
shaved, not waxed.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 03-25-20, 06:38 PM
  #4  
smashndash
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 966

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 116 Posts
Specialized has a video on this from their Win Tunnel. It’s not insignificant relative to the gains made from equipment.
smashndash is offline  
Old 03-25-20, 06:42 PM
  #5  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,195
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
No idea. It makes a lot of PT easier, though. And looks better.
Originally Posted by smashndash View Post
Specialized has a video on this from their Win Tunnel. It’s not insignificant relative to the gains made from equipment.
The ladies like it. Well, the ones I care about do.
noodle soup is online now  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-25-20, 06:43 PM
  #6  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,787

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5607 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
The ladies like it. Well, the ones I care about do.
Mine doesn't care, or claims not to... but it makes things with her feel better even on my end. So it's wins all around.

Oh and crazy faster when swimming.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-25-20, 06:50 PM
  #7  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,195
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Mine doesn't care, or claims not to... but it makes things with her feel better even on my end. So it's wins all around.

Oh and crazy faster when swimming.
If I shave everyday, she has no excuses.

she likes the beard though


Last edited by noodle soup; 03-25-20 at 06:55 PM.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 03-25-20, 07:18 PM
  #8  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,900

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 758 Posts
Mine have gone bald naturally. Wife used to hate the one-way sharkskin feeling when I shaved my legs.

Now who’s gotten silicone implants to beef their calves up?
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 03-26-20, 08:01 AM
  #9  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 723

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
How many watts saved? Or, alternatively.. gain in avg mph?
It seems like it would be less than patching your tubes. It's a big thing nowadays. To patch or not to patch?
eduskator is offline  
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-26-20, 08:37 AM
  #10  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,787

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5607 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Mine have gone bald naturally. Wife used to hate the one-way sharkskin feeling when I shaved my legs.

Now who’s gotten silicone implants to beef their calves up?
Mine are so big I literally don’t fit into Lululemon’s men’s pants - they fit like leggings. It’s actually hard to deal with, and makes me prone to painful knots that are hard to work out.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-26-20, 08:47 AM
  #11  
Cypress 
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,185

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 300 Posts
I don't know if it's the robustness of my hair follicles or what, but I need a ratchet strap to yank the wax off of my legs. Then I look like a freshly plucked turkey afterwards.

Shaving, FTW.
__________________
Originally Posted by botto
incorrect.
Cypress is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 08:52 AM
  #12  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,195
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Mine are so big I literally don’t fit into Lululemon’s men’s pants - they fit like leggings.
I had no idea those even existed.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 03-26-20, 08:59 AM
  #13  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,787

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5607 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I had no idea those even existed.
They do. I tried to get a pair for the Rome trip last year (how surreal that sounds now) to have lightweight long pants for the churches in the heat. They’re supposed to be loose, but not on me. One of the few clothing items for me that AG vetoed, not that I would have gotten them anyway.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 10:00 AM
  #14  
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,255

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 290 Posts
MinnMan is offline  
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-26-20, 02:50 PM
  #15  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 723

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
If I shave everyday, she has no excuses.

she likes the beard though

This is so not aerodynamic! You must lose lots of watts when riding. . Not sure which is worst though; a long beard or patched tube.
eduskator is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 07:06 PM
  #16  
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Off the front
Posts: 287

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
They do. I tried to get a pair for the Rome trip last year (how surreal that sounds now) to have lightweight long pants for the churches in the heat. They’re supposed to be loose, but not on me. One of the few clothing items for me that AG vetoed, not that I would have gotten them anyway.
Repent a little bit and the churches won’t feel as hot.
AdkMtnMonster is offline  
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-26-20, 07:09 PM
  #17  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,787

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5607 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster View Post
Repent a little bit and the churches won’t feel as hot.
With the things I've done and said, if the worst that happens is I feel a little warm then I'm WAY ahead of the curve!
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-26-20, 07:23 PM
  #18  
RChung
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
It seems like it would be less than patching your tubes. It's a big thing nowadays. To patch or not to patch?
If so, a patch must make a pretty big difference.
RChung is offline  
Old 03-26-20, 08:37 PM
  #19  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,195
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
This is so not aerodynamic! You must lose lots of watts when riding. . Not sure which is worst though; a long beard or patched tube.


When I was training for a 40km TT, I actually had a chance to do a wind tunnel analysis of my position. In my TT position, beard or no beard would make very little difference.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 03-26-20, 10:00 PM
  #20  
RChung
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,612
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
When I was training for a 40km TT, I actually had a chance to do a wind tunnel analysis of my position. In my TT position, beard or no beard would make very little difference.
I bet it'd be different if you had a ZZ Top kinda beard or a trim little Robert Downey as Tony Stark beard.

I hypothesized that leg fur makes more difference than face fur because your legs are moving around at maybe 80 rpm while your face isn't.
RChung is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 01:40 AM
  #21  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 8,029

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
This is so not aerodynamic! You must lose lots of watts when riding. . Not sure which is worst though; a long beard or patched tube.
He gets all the looks. And stop abusing baby cattle. Word.
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 04:28 AM
  #22  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 15,787

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5607 Post(s)
Liked 1,344 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung View Post
I bet it'd be different if you had a ZZ Top kinda beard or a trim little Robert Downey as Tony Stark beard.

I hypothesized that leg fur makes more difference than face fur because your legs are moving around at maybe 80 rpm while your face isn't.
Also, there are more square inches of leg fur, which are in turn more perpendicular to the wind.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 06:11 AM
  #23  
eduskator
Senior Member
 
eduskator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 723

Bikes: TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
He gets all the looks. And stop abusing baby cattle. Word.
eduskator is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 07:49 AM
  #24  
DeathCurse7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You guys roasting my thread 😬
DeathCurse7 is offline  
Old 03-27-20, 08:43 AM
  #25  
Cypress 
Globo Gym lifetime member
 
Cypress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 5,185

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCurse7 View Post
You guys roasting my thread 😬
Don't worry, somebody will revisit this thread in about 9 years to quote/argue one of the posts (initially made by a member who has since died, probably).
__________________
Originally Posted by botto
incorrect.
Cypress is offline  
Likes For Cypress:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.