Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 05-06-20, 07:21 AM
  #4951  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,756

Bikes: Have two wheels

Liked 4,650 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
You're never going to earn big endorsement money with that attitude.
IKR. Lubes I currently have on hand (just off the top of my head):

- Tri-Flow
- Chain-L
- Finish Line One-Step
- Park Tool Polylube
- Catrol 5w30
- Smith's honing oil
- White lithium grease
- Whatever the grease is that I put in the grease gun.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:26 AM
  #4952  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I need a good dry lube- Iíve been using finish line but donít love it. Any recommendations? Seems like thereís no general review consensus in the interwebs.
Molten Speed Wax.

WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:35 AM
  #4953  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,318

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Liked 2,100 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Molten Speed Wax.

Iím sure itís great- but Iím also sure my wife would kill me for making a mess of melted wax.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:35 AM
  #4954  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,579

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,796 Times in 2,186 Posts
Pro tip: don’t replace your eTap controller battery right before a ride. Frustration and cursing may ensue as you head off to YouTube to find directions to pair your derailleurs again.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:38 AM
  #4955  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,318

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Liked 2,100 Times in 983 Posts
In other fun news.. my Vector 3 pedals arrive today, now I have to go ride during a ďlate lunchĒ
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 05-06-20, 07:39 AM
  #4956  
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Liked 3,766 Times in 1,275 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Pro tip: donít replace your eTap controller battery right before a ride. Frustration and cursing may ensue as you head off to YouTube to find directions to pair your derailleurs again.
Do you have to do that every time you change the battery or was this just a fluke?
abshipp is online now  
Old 05-06-20, 07:41 AM
  #4957  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Iím sure itís great- but Iím also sure my wife would kill me for making a mess of melted wax.
Well then don't make a mess of it - geez.

This reminds me that I should fire up the ol' crockpot today and re-dip Chain A - will prolly want to swap chains in the next week or so.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:41 AM
  #4958  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Pro tip: donít replace your eTap controller battery right before a ride. Frustration and cursing may ensue as you head off to YouTube to find directions to pair your derailleurs again.
#firstworldproblems
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:44 AM
  #4959  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
That depends.
You use adult diapers on your chain?
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:49 AM
  #4960  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I'm in the frustrating position of constantly forgetting that I'm bored as hell with my usual routes... until it's actually time to ride. Then I stare at a map for 20 minutes, trying to iron out something new, before I eventually give up and head out on one of those same, tired routes.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:55 AM
  #4961  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 39,710
Liked 16,160 Times in 7,588 Posts
Next time you think you have a bear f a job plowing your driveway consider what the crews at Glacier N.P. have to deal with.


indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-06-20, 08:00 AM
  #4962  
Senior Member
 
mvnsnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: WNY
Posts: 3,101

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
In other fun news.. my Vector 3 pedals arrive today, now I have to go ride during a ďlate lunchĒ
Please post your impressions.
mvnsnd is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 08:02 AM
  #4963  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd
Please post your impressions.
FWIW, AG has a pair on her SystemSix and likes them. I prefer my Quarqs, but she wanted to keep the Spiderring.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 08:27 AM
  #4964  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,318

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Liked 2,100 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
FWIW, AG has a pair on her SystemSix and likes them. I prefer my Quarqs, but she wanted to keep the Spiderring.
One of the biggest reasons I went this route was for portability between bikes if need be. Also- never ridden with real power so I wouldnít be able to tell the differences.
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 08:27 AM
  #4965  
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 4,187

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Liked 3,766 Times in 1,275 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm in the frustrating position of constantly forgetting that I'm bored as hell with my usual routes... until it's actually time to ride. Then I stare at a map for 20 minutes, trying to iron out something new, before I eventually give up and head out on one of those same, tired routes.
Ditto.
abshipp is online now  
Old 05-06-20, 08:42 AM
  #4966  
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 13,802

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Well that was one short summer... I heard the word snow mentioned for Saturday .



Wut
ls01 is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 08:45 AM
  #4967  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,318

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Liked 2,100 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Ditto.
same
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 08:49 AM
  #4968  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,318

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Liked 2,100 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Well that was one short summer... I heard the word snow mentioned for Saturday .



Wut
same here for Friday night
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 08:49 AM
  #4969  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
One of the biggest reasons I went this route was for portability between bikes if need be. Also- never ridden with real power so I wouldnít be able to tell the differences.
After going through the pain of swapping her P1s between bikes until I nearly screwed up the threads, Iím not a fan of swapping pedals over and over. DCR had the same comment eventually. At least not every week. PMs have gotten affordable enough Iíd rather just put one on each bike. I know not everyone can (and I have fewer bikes than most here).

My advice on the Vectors is to get a supply of the batteries ahead of time.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-06-20, 08:52 AM
  #4970  
Senior Member
 
mvnsnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: WNY
Posts: 3,101

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
After going through the pain of swapping her P1s between bikes until I nearly screwed up the threads, Iím not a fan of swapping pedals over and over. DCR had the same comment eventually. At least not every week. PMs have gotten affordable enough Iíd rather just put one on each bike. I know not everyone can (and I have fewer bikes than most here).

My advice on the Vectors is to get a supply of the batteries ahead of time.
I agree with all of that too. I'm considering other options than my current Powertap, but I don't like the bulky pedal options or some of the crank arm only options. A spider based solution is still in consideration.
mvnsnd is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 09:15 AM
  #4971  
Super Modest
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 23,579

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Liked 4,796 Times in 2,186 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Do you have to do that every time you change the battery or was this just a fluke?
I donít know. Probably. This controller battery was two years old and still showing green when I shifted but I thought Iíd change it anyway. The derailleur batteries get charged every 30-40 hours and donít need to be paired when changing.
__________________
Keep the chain tight!







Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 09:29 AM
  #4972  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,293

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,201 Times in 4,262 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
In other fun news.. my Vector 3 pedals arrive today, now I have to go ride during a ďlate lunchĒ
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 09:30 AM
  #4973  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,293

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,201 Times in 4,262 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Speaking of which, my folks sent me a hundred bucks for my birthday and I saw Excel has Assos Not Bibs shorts on sale for $68 each, so I snagged 2 of them with my birthday loot.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-06-20, 09:36 AM
  #4974  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,293

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,201 Times in 4,262 Posts
Hey, a clubmate of mine is looking for new wheels. He has an old pair of Williams system 30 that he really likes, and he asked me about getting new wheels from Williams. I had to break the bad news to him that Williams Wheels/Cycles seems to be kaput. Last year Keith Williams was looking for a buyer and I don’t think it happened. Their website is gone.

I told my friend to look at wheels from Boyd and Flo. Any other suggestions? I am pretty sure he wants non-disc, non-tubeless clinchers that are a (wait for it!) good bang for the buck. I asked if he is looking for alloy or crabon rims, have not heard back.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 09:47 AM
  #4975  
Senior Member
 
TassR700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 629

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hey, a clubmate of mine is looking for new wheels. He has an old pair of Williams system 30 that he really likes, and he asked me about getting new wheels from Williams. I had to break the bad news to him that Williams Wheels/Cycles seems to be kaput. Last year Keith Williams was looking for a buyer and I donít think it happened. Their website is gone.

I told my friend to look at wheels from Boyd and Flo. Any other suggestions? I am pretty sure he wants non-disc, non-tubeless clinchers that are a (wait for it!) good bang for the buck. I asked if he is looking for alloy or crabon rims, have not heard back.
I just bought some Boyd Altamonts to replace some worn out Soul alloy wheels and I am really pleased with them after a few hundred miles. Alloy, not the lightest but roll great and very stable. I also recently moved to Greenville so buying at the factory was a bonus.
TassR700 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.