Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have problems re-greasing Speedplay Zeros?

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Does anyone have problems re-greasing Speedplay Zeros?

Old 04-26-20, 08:03 PM
  #1  
MidTNBrad
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 274

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Does anyone have problems re-greasing Speedplay Zeros?

I enjoy riding my bikes and I enjoy working on them. I was doing some regular maintenance on one this weekend and had to do a job I dreaded doing -- repacking my Speedplay Zeros with grease. That is the most frustrating, messy hack of a job I can think of. It sounds pretty easy: remove the screw holding the dust cap on, put a grease gun up to the port and shoot grease in there until the old grease is flushed out the back. No matter how hard I push on the dust cap, fresh grease shoots out the dust cover. I get some of the old grease to flush out as Speedplay says it should (out the back), but it seems about 10 times more comes out of the dust cover. Am I doing something wrong? I use this Astro grease gun which seems to be the same design as the Park Tool and other folks on BF claim it works just fine for them. Does anyone else have this issue?
MidTNBrad is offline  
Old 04-27-20, 12:40 AM
  #2  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,026

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 183 Posts
I find it helps to squeeze the grease gun or syringe gently. Also try rotating the pedals as you do so. I do sometimes still get some grease blowback, so it cant be avoided entirely.
guadzilla is offline  
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-27-20, 07:13 AM
  #3  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,869
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 165 Posts
That sometimes happens. As long as it's packed with grease and not spinning freely, you're generally good.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 04-27-20, 08:03 AM
  #4  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,799

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12924 Post(s)
Liked 2,427 Times in 1,287 Posts
I'll get a little bit of blow-back, but not too much (and I'm just using a dosing syringe from the drug store). One thing that I used to do, that might help you, is to take the pedal off of the cranks and stand the pedal on end (on the ground or work bench) when re-greasing. That gave me the ability to lean in to it a little more.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-27-20, 08:04 AM
  #5  
silverado8405
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 62

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
So much that I made a clamp to screw the needle into the dust cap to keep pressure on it so I can rotate the peddle and operate my grease gun without having grease squirt out the dust cap at the speed of light and make a mess everywhere. Turned a 3 minute job into a 10 minute one because I donít have to clean grease up as much. For reference I donít have one of the little handheld grease guns but a full size one so itís impossible to maintain pressure on the dust cap.

silverado8405 is offline  
Likes For silverado8405:
Old 04-27-20, 08:06 AM
  #6  
MidTNBrad
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 274

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by silverado8405 View Post
So much that I made a clamp to screw the needle into the dust cap to keep pressure on it so I can rotate the peddle and operate my grease gun without having grease squirt out the dust cap at the speed of light and make a mess everywhere. Turned a 3 minute job into a 10 minute one because I donít have to clean grease up as much. For reference I donít have one of the little handheld grease guns but a full size one so itís impossible to maintain pressure on the dust cap.


That's the coolest and most terrifying thing I've seen on BF. Looks like it would work though!
MidTNBrad is offline  
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 04-28-20, 11:00 AM
  #7  
biker222
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I also have experience blow back out of cap.
I apply a fair amount of force from gun to port and rotate pedal between applications.
When done greasing I rotate pedal 10-20x and wipe excess grease on axle side as it discharges.
Be careful on cap side when forcing grease as it can shoot out in a stream into your eyes or other places.
I now cap my hand with paper towel around port to prevent this.
biker222 is offline  
Old 04-28-20, 02:10 PM
  #8  
randallr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Broomfield, Colorado
Posts: 327

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Original Poster; I wonder what viscosity grease you're pumping, and how fast it's pumping? I use Phil Wood green grease at room temp in a Pedro's grease gun (which pumps a pretty small volume at a time). I get no blowback.
randallr is offline  
Old 04-28-20, 03:06 PM
  #9  
MidTNBrad
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 274

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr View Post
Original Poster; I wonder what viscosity grease you're pumping, and how fast it's pumping? I use Phil Wood green grease at room temp in a Pedro's grease gun (which pumps a pretty small volume at a time). I get no blowback.
I can't remember what type of grease it is. It's off-white in color and thick but no thicker than what I would think any other grease would be. It may be Finish Line.
MidTNBrad is offline  
Old 04-28-20, 04:36 PM
  #10  
tak2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
greasing speedplay pedals

I have also had an issue with a fine thread leaking around the dust cover. I replaced the dust covers with new which were inexpensive and pumped the grease in a bit slower turning the pedal and it worked without issue.
tak2 is offline  
Old 04-28-20, 06:07 PM
  #11  
Noctilux.95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 566

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad View Post
I enjoy riding my bikes and I enjoy working on them. I was doing some regular maintenance on one this weekend and had to do a job I dreaded doing -- repacking my Speedplay Zeros with grease. That is the most frustrating, messy hack of a job I can think of. It sounds pretty easy: remove the screw holding the dust cap on, put a grease gun up to the port and shoot grease in there until the old grease is flushed out the back. No matter how hard I push on the dust cap, fresh grease shoots out the dust cover. I get some of the old grease to flush out as Speedplay says it should (out the back), but it seems about 10 times more comes out of the dust cover. Am I doing something wrong? I use this Astro grease gun which seems to be the same design as the Park Tool and other folks on BF claim it works just fine for them. Does anyone else have this issue?
Did you remove the cap from the tip of the grease gun?
Noctilux.95 is offline  
Old 04-28-20, 07:31 PM
  #12  
justonwo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 197

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 31 Posts
I guess this reminds me I should probably grease my Speedplay pedals on my Cervelo for the first time in 10 years. Ouch!
justonwo is offline  
Old 04-28-20, 10:00 PM
  #13  
MidTNBrad
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 274

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 View Post
Did you remove the cap from the tip of the grease gun?
Yes, it has a small tip and no cap. Grease come out in a very thin ribbon if I just pump it.
MidTNBrad is offline  
Old 04-29-20, 04:59 AM
  #14  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 5,925

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 297 Posts
FWIW, the speedplay grease gun kit I got a while ago, came with Sta Lube marine grease. Random thought/question though; would there theoretically be something better I should use if I installed a Ti spindle into the pedal body? Can't say I've had any issues though.
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 04-29-20, 12:43 PM
  #15  
Bob Ross
your god hates me
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,892

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad View Post
Am I doing something wrong? ...[snip]... Does anyone else have this issue?
No, and Yes.
Bob Ross is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.