Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 remote shifters

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 remote shifters

Old 05-05-20, 06:48 AM
  #1  
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here
Thread Starter
 
Bryan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts
Di2 remote shifters

Finally going to convert my Diverge gravel bike over to GRX Di2. The parts have all been ordered but I'm curious as to how helpful climbing or remote shifters would be.

Is it worth the $100 price tag to install a remote shifter? I'm not sure I even need it but since I'm still in the ordering phase of the project I thought it would be worth looking into.

I think the Dura Ace SW-R9150 remote shifters are the better option. The problem is since I plan to use the bar end junction I think I will have only 1 open port on the left shifter assy so I can't use them. Or can I?

The only other available option I can find is the Shimano SW-600 climbing shifter Currently discontinued by Shimano but still available at select retailers.

Since it is my gravel bike I'm more inclined to ride with my hands on the hoods, but while climbing it is always nice to use the tops for a change of hand position.

Are they useful for the average rider? Are they worth the extra expense for something that may not be as useful as I have imagined?

Last edited by Bryan C.; 05-05-20 at 06:53 AM.
Bryan C. is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 07:11 AM
  #2  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
Finally going to convert my Diverge gravel bike over to GRX Di2. The parts have all been ordered but I'm curious as to how helpful climbing or remote shifters would be.

Is it worth the $100 price tag to install a remote shifter? I'm not sure I even need it but since I'm still in the ordering phase of the project I thought it would be worth looking into.

I think the Dura Ace SW-R9150 remote shifters are the better option. The problem is since I plan to use the bar end junction I think I will have only 1 open port on the left shifter assy so I can't use them. Or can I?

The only other available option I can find is the Shimano SW-600 climbing shifter Currently discontinued by Shimano but still available at select retailers.

Since it is my gravel bike I'm more inclined to ride with my hands on the hoods, but while climbing it is always nice to use the tops for a change of hand position.

Are they useful for the average rider? Are they worth the extra expense for something that may not be as useful as I have imagined?
Changing hand position is nice while climbing, so just move your hand back to the hood when you need to shift.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 08:24 AM
  #3  
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here
Thread Starter
 
Bryan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Changing hand position is nice while climbing, so just move your hand back to the hood when you need to shift.
That's what I am currently doing. And that's the issue really isn't it? Are they actually beneficial? I'm not set on them, just curious. I'm not so sure I like the rocker style switch anyway. It's fugly.
Bryan C. is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 08:37 AM
  #4  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post
That's what I am currently doing. And that's the issue really isn't it? .
I don't think moving your hands from the tops, to the hoods for a moment, is an "issue"
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-05-20, 08:38 AM
  #5  
soonerrebel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: North Aurora Il
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I have the 610 remote shifter, located next to my stem and I just use my thumb to change gears. I find it very handy when climbing. Is it worth the extra expense ... to me yes. But if I didn't have it that wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Moving to the lever to change gears is not a big deal but with the 610 I don't have to move my hand, off the tops, at all.
soonerrebel is offline  
Likes For soonerrebel:
Old 05-05-20, 08:52 AM
  #6  
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here
Thread Starter
 
Bryan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I don't think moving your hands from the tops, to the hoods for a moment, is an "issue"


Neither do I. I was more poking fun at my apparent laziness.
Bryan C. is offline  
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 05-05-20, 09:11 AM
  #7  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C. View Post


Neither do I. I was more poking fun at my apparent laziness.
Imagine being forced to use only downtube shifters?
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-05-20, 09:38 AM
  #8  
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here
Thread Starter
 
Bryan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Imagine being forced to use only downtube shifters?


I cannot imagine such horrors.
Bryan C. is offline  
Old 05-05-20, 10:45 AM
  #9  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,477

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 256 Posts
If you have only one port free, install a remote shifter for the rear gears. That's typically what you'll be changing in a climb.
Steve B. is online now  
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-05-20, 11:45 AM
  #10  
SkepticalOne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 348

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SLR Disc, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 33 Posts
I love having the climbing switch on my road bikes to the right of the stem and miss it on my current Tiagra gravel rig...planning the upgrade soon as I find my thumb habitually hunting for it when a steep hill presents itself...

SkepticalOne is offline  
Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 05-05-20, 12:25 PM
  #11  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,041
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 135 Posts
I have both versions of the climbing buttons. I like them and would miss not having them, which is why I put them on both bikes, but is nowhere near a dealbreaker kind of thing.
colnago62 is offline  
Likes For colnago62:
Old 05-06-20, 07:16 AM
  #12  
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here
Thread Starter
 
Bryan C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Antioch, CA
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne View Post
I love having the climbing switch on my road bikes to the right of the stem and miss it on my current Tiagra gravel rig...planning the upgrade soon as I find my thumb habitually hunting for it when a steep hill presents itself...

Thanks for the pic. A visual of what I want to try is always helpful.

Right now I'm leaning towards not getting one at all. Seems interesting, and somewhat helpful at times. But may not be practical at the moment. Thanks to those who replied.
Bryan C. is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 12:11 PM
  #13  
ckindt
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: near Omaha, NE
Posts: 259

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne View Post
I love having the climbing switch on my road bikes to the right of the stem and miss it on my current Tiagra gravel rig...planning the upgrade soon as I find my thumb habitually hunting for it when a steep hill presents itself...

What happened to the bar tape on the right side?
It looks backwards on top and messed up at the hook.
ckindt is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 03:47 PM
  #14  
August West
Senior Member
 
August West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 387

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One. Fuel EX 8 XT.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 80 Posts
What is that on the left side of the stem?

That is a pretty cool picture, how did you manage that while moving?


August West is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 04:20 PM
  #15  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by August West View Post
What is that on the left side of the stem?

That is a pretty cool picture, how did you manage that while moving?


that's a bell. Use your thumb, to hit the little lever.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 06:17 PM
  #16  
SkepticalOne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 348

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SLR Disc, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by August West View Post
What is that on the left side of the stem?

That is a pretty cool picture, how did you manage that while moving?
https://www.knog.com/category/produc...v=3a1ed7090bfa

I've been practicing that shot...tough to get symmetry
SkepticalOne is offline  
Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 05-06-20, 07:23 PM
  #17  
August West
Senior Member
 
August West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 387

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One. Fuel EX 8 XT.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
that's a bell. Use your thumb, to hit the little lever.
I've never seen that one before.
August West is offline  
Old 05-06-20, 07:34 PM
  #18  
August West
Senior Member
 
August West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 387

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One. Fuel EX 8 XT.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne View Post
https://www.knog.com/category/produc...v=3a1ed7090bfa

I've been practicing that shot...tough to get symmetry
Well, you did a good job. It looks professionally done.

Your cockpit looks pretty familiar to me, P1 SLR 7, Garmin, Blendr mount and Spec shoes. I pick up my Blendr/Garmin mount tomorrow from the LBS. Now you've got me thinking about adding climb switches when it is time to wrap the bars. I like the looks of that mirror too. Do you like it?
August West is offline  
Likes For August West:
Old 05-06-20, 07:40 PM
  #19  
SkepticalOne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 348

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SLR Disc, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Well, you did a good job. It looks professionally done.

Your cockpit looks pretty familiar to me, P1 SLR 7, Garmin, Blendr mount and Spec shoes. I pick up my Blendr/Garmin mount tomorrow from the LBS. Now you've got me thinking about adding climb switches when it is time to wrap the bars. I like the looks of that mirror too. Do you like it?
Mirror is a lifesaver. All my bikes have them. Only reason I don't have one on the right-hand side is the bar-end junction box. Sure I get made fun of a lot, but it is so essential from a situational awareness POV.

Available on Amazon

Sprintech Racing
SkepticalOne is offline  
Old 05-07-20, 07:57 AM
  #20  
August West
Senior Member
 
August West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 387

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One. Fuel EX 8 XT.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne View Post
Mirror is a lifesaver. All my bikes have them. Only reason I don't have one on the right-hand side is the bar-end junction box. Sure I get made fun of a lot, but it is so essential from a situational awareness POV.

Available on Amazon

Sprintech Racing
Thanks. I currently use an eyeglass mounted mirror which I like in most situations but am always looking for something better. Also well aware of the dork factor of using any mirror but I don't care since since I'd rather see vehicles approaching well in advance. I think I will order one a give it a try.
August West is offline  
Old 05-07-20, 08:08 AM
  #21  
SkepticalOne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 348

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SLR Disc, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Well, you did a good job. It looks professionally done.

Your cockpit looks pretty familiar to me, P1 SLR 7, Garmin, Blendr mount and Spec shoes. I pick up my Blendr/Garmin mount tomorrow from the LBS. Now you've got me thinking about adding climb switches when it is time to wrap the bars. I like the looks of that mirror too. Do you like it?
Managed to grab another one this morning...note the temperature on the Garmin lol.

SkepticalOne is offline  
Old 05-07-20, 08:30 AM
  #22  
Nachoman
well hello there
 
Nachoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Point Loma, CA
Posts: 15,146

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 89 Posts
Personally, not necessary. And in fact just takes up valuable real estate on the bars.
If anything, I'd rather have the remote sprinter shifters, since i ride in the drops a lot.
__________________
.
.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Nachoman is offline  
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 05-07-20, 09:30 AM
  #23  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne View Post

Who wraps your handlebars?
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-07-20, 03:09 PM
  #24  
mgopack42 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Baths, CA
Posts: 610

Bikes: 2012 Pinarello FP Quatro, 1994 Specialized Allez, Mid 80's Ciocc, 1985 Masi 3V.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Personally, not necessary. And in fact just takes up valuable real estate on the bars.
If anything, I'd rather have the remote sprinter shifters, since i ride in the drops a lot.
Can't you shift from the drops with Shimano? i can up or down shift from the drops with ease with my Chorus brifters.
mgopack42 is online now  
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 05-09-20, 09:24 AM
  #25  
rower2cyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 162

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
I have sprint shifters (tho I don't race much and sprint) but I absolutely love them since I spend more time on the drops lately. See some pros who climb thousands of metres in GTs don't have them and go to the hoods to shift. Maybe fitting them is an issue on some handlebars.

Having said that I strongly support any upgrade that makes you more efficient and puts your legs over the bike. Just give it a try. If you don't like them you can always sell them on ebay.
rower2cyclist is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.