Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Camelbak hack

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Camelbak hack

Old 06-19-20, 08:53 AM
  #1  
adamrice 
mosquito rancher
Thread Starter
 
adamrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 545

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Camelbak hack

I've been riding with a Camelbak lately to extend the range I can cover without stopping (partly due to Covid-19, partly just because). I've been unhappy with the hose management--either I can route the hose down the front, which leaves the end flopping around (which I would deal with by tucking the end between the shoulder strap and my side), or up the front, which requires that the hose make a weird bend in the back. There's a clip that sort of holds the hose in place, but if I have it routed down the front, it leaves a lot of hose flopping around, and bringing the hose up to drink from it can put a kink in it, pinching off the flow.

So I glued a magnet to the shoulder-strap buckle, which is low on the strap, and put a velcro wrap around the hose, with a tiny pocket for a magnet. I'll be taking this for its first ride tomorrow.


magnetic hose keeper for Camelbak

JB Weld would have been better for attaching the magnet to the buckle, but I didn't have any lying around, and a donut-shaped magnet would have been easier to sew onto the velcro wrap, but again, I was using what I had available.
__________________
Adam Rice
adamrice is offline  
Likes For adamrice:
Old 06-19-20, 09:12 AM
  #2  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,195
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice View Post
I've been riding with a Camelbak lately to extend the range I can cover without stopping (partly due to Covid-19, partly just because). I've been unhappy with the hose management--either I can route the hose down the front, which leaves the end flopping around (which I would deal with by tucking the end between the shoulder strap and my side), or up the front, which requires that the hose make a weird bend in the back. There's a clip that sort of holds the hose in place, but if I have it routed down the front, it leaves a lot of hose flopping around, and bringing the hose up to drink from it can put a kink in it, pinching off the flow.

So I glued a magnet to the shoulder-strap buckle, which is low on the strap, and put a velcro wrap around the hose, with a tiny pocket for a magnet. I'll be taking this for its first ride tomorrow.


magnetic hose keeper for Camelbak

JB Weld would have been better for attaching the magnet to the buckle, but I didn't have any lying around, and a donut-shaped magnet would have been easier to sew onto the velcro wrap, but again, I was using what I had available.
Osprey hydration packs have used a magnet retention system like this for years.


Last edited by noodle soup; 06-19-20 at 10:09 AM.
noodle soup is online now  
Old 06-19-20, 09:18 AM
  #3  
adamrice 
mosquito rancher
Thread Starter
 
adamrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 545

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Osprey hydration packs have used a magnet retention system like this for years.
Not surprised. It must be an obvious idea if I thought of it.
__________________
Adam Rice
adamrice is offline  
Likes For adamrice:
Old 06-19-20, 09:57 AM
  #4  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26,984
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11405 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,695 Posts
Never had any such issues with mine, which I use when touring.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-19-20, 10:06 AM
  #5  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,195
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Never had any such issues with mine, which I use when touring.
It never bothered me to have the hose flopping around either,
noodle soup is online now  
Old 06-19-20, 03:50 PM
  #6  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,417

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12312 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
It never bothered me to have the hose flopping around either,
Family forum please!
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-20-20, 07:54 AM
  #7  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26,984
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11405 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,695 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
It never bothered me to have the hose flopping around either,
My hose doesn't flop around.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 06-20-20, 11:07 AM
  #8  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,417

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12312 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
My hose doesn't flop around.
twss
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 06-20-20, 04:03 PM
  #9  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 16,391

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2400 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 351 Posts
Camelbak makes (or at least used to) clips which fit the shoulder straps and hold the hose quite securely. It's not an issue or shouldn't be.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 06-20-20, 04:53 PM
  #10  
adamrice 
mosquito rancher
Thread Starter
 
adamrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 545

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
Camelbak makes (or at least used to) clips which fit the shoulder straps and hold the hose quite securely. It's not an issue or shouldn't be.
This does have a clip. But the clip is pretty high up, leaving a fair amount of loose-hanging hose, and if I slide it to the bottom of its travel, then bringing the hose up pinches it against the clip. The clip is secure enough that getting the hose in and out would be a bit annoying while riding. I don't want to have to think about it.

With the magnet, I can just grab at the end to release it, and get it back in roughly the right spot for it to be retained.
__________________
Adam Rice
adamrice is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.