Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Stepping up my helmet game, need help. (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1206885-stepping-up-my-helmet-game-need-help.html)

himespau 07-08-20 01:38 PM


Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21576485)
Does the amount of helmet vents make any difference?

Honestly, I don't know because all my helmets have been in the $50-75 range, so I haven't slipped into the high end with bigger/more vents. I keep wanting to, but I've only done one ride longer than 10 miles (lots of little 1-5 mile jaunts through the neighborhood with the kids teaching the littlest how to ride during the shutdown) that wasn't on Zwift in the last year (and didn't ride the previous 2 years or so due to injury), so I don't really ride enough to need a fancy new helmet at this point. My current one has mostly been sitting in the closet gathering dust for the last several years.

Iride01 07-08-20 02:08 PM

Air flow through the helmet was always one of the most important considerations for helmets I get. Another is how low do they come in front. Too high and you have an unprotected forehead. Too low and you'll have a sore neck from having to crane your head up to see when in the drops.

I was almost ready to trash my new helmet and look for another because I wasn't able to see far enough ahead when in the drops. However I finally found some adjustment inside that allowed my to control how far back on my head it sat. It wasn't done with the straps as was my older helmet.

MIPS, Wavecell, while better in some cases, they aren't that much better any other CPSC certified helmet. The differences tested from what I've read are slight. But hey, no expense for safety right? However there are plenty of sub 100 dollar MIPS helmets.

As always, get one that fits.

Cyclist0108 07-08-20 04:40 PM


Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 21576485)
Does the amount of helmet vents make any difference?

No wasp has ever gotten inside my Air Attack.

InvertedMP 07-08-20 05:08 PM

Thanks so much for all the responses. Just got back from trying on helmets and ended up with a Kask Protone. Super comfortable, looking forward to trying it out!

Sy Reene 07-08-20 06:04 PM

Just for something different, but evidently quite light, am waiting on an Abus Airbreaker

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...71cc9d2836.jpg

canklecat 07-10-20 02:55 AM

Lazer Z1 and MET (Trenta?) have been tested and reportedly are among the most aero of the vented helmets. I should have snagged one pre-pandemic when the prices were silly low, like $50-$75. Now everything is back to full MSRP or close to it.

Venting matters. I have two Bell helmets (Formula and I forgot the other model) with conventional vents and they're adequately vented. The Bell Formula MIPS and similar Bell helmets made the past couple of years have a clever drip channel doodad that diverts most sweat from pouring into my eyes. It drips about an inch in front of the face, and sometimes blows back into my face, but it's better than most conventional helmets. The Bell Formula is an outstanding value, but doesn't cover quite as low on the skull as I'd like. After witnessing some falls and head impacts among other cyclists locally I can see where some helmets need better coverage.

But my POC Omne Air Spin is much cooler. I can really feel the air cooling effect, and when I hold a hand behind the helmet I can feel the heat venting back there. Friends who use the Octal and Ventral say the same thing - POC are outstanding for cooling. But they're kinda bulbous, mushroom-head looking things, sorta ugly-chic. My only gripe about the Omne Air Spin is the overhanging brow partially blocks my forward view when I'm low in the drops, and it's a bit heavy. And it's probably the opposite of aero. But it's a great summer helmet for commuting, casual rides and zone 2 rides when I'm not in the drops much.

Another poster mentioned ABUS -- I'm considering one based on the apparent fit I saw on Phil Gaimon's training partner for his Everesting challenge last month. I forget his partner's name, but he wore an ABUS helmet that looked really safe, and gently tapers inward so it's less bulbous than the POC. I noticed it covers much lower on the skull than my Bells, especially the rear/occipital region.

WhyFi 07-10-20 08:41 AM


Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21579363)
Another poster mentioned ABUS -- I'm considering one based on the apparent fit I saw on Phil Gaimon's training partner for his Everesting challenge last month. I forget his partner's name, but he wore an ABUS helmet that looked really safe, and gently tapers inward so it's less bulbous than the POC.

Ben Foster aka The Other Ben Foster.

Sy Reene 07-10-20 11:50 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21579696)
Ben Foster aka The Other Ben Foster.

This guy me believes.. pictured in said helmet

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d59abd766f.jpg

canklecat 07-12-20 03:38 AM


Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21580024)
This guy me believes.. pictured in said helmet

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d59abd766f.jpg

That's the one.

I'm a bit more safety conscious now and while I prefer the POC for better coverage lower on the skull, the bulbous shape is also a bit annoying. The Abus design appears to cover as low on the skull as the POC, but tapers inward so it's less bulbous.

That particular Abus also appears to have vents similar to the POC Omne Air Spin, which has a sort of "roof" across the top from ear to ear, which effectively scoops air across the scalp. Excellent cooling, even on my two-hour Saturday noon ride when the temp went from 110-115F by 2 pm. I was surprised how much more effective that roof/scoop design was for cooling compared with my more conventional Bell helmets with the usual diagonal elongated diamond slash vents.

himespau 07-12-20 05:27 AM

which abus model is that?

Sy Reene 07-12-20 05:37 AM


Originally Posted by himespau (Post 21582855)
which abus model is that?

Looks like the Airbreaker

b88 07-12-20 10:23 PM

Bell Z20 Aero. Very comfortable.

Sy Reene 07-24-20 02:38 PM


Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21582813)
That's the one.

I'm a bit more safety conscious now and while I prefer the POC for better coverage lower on the skull, the bulbous shape is also a bit annoying. The Abus design appears to cover as low on the skull as the POC, but tapers inward so it's less bulbous.

That particular Abus also appears to have vents similar to the POC Omne Air Spin, which has a sort of "roof" across the top from ear to ear, which effectively scoops air across the scalp. Excellent cooling, even on my two-hour Saturday noon ride when the temp went from 110-115F by 2 pm. I was surprised how much more effective that roof/scoop design was for cooling compared with my more conventional Bell helmets with the usual diagonal elongated diamond slash vents.

Really nice helmet btw. Just showed up (3 weeks from Bikeinn order date.. relatively not too bad for them). FYI, Canyon fans, the Airbreaker with Canyon branding added in some of their own color schemes is available on the canyon.com website.. at prices as good as anywhere else. Pretty pricey though.

Loving the weight (or lack thereof).. 120 grams less than my SUV sized Bell Z20 MIPS. No MIPS in this helmet though -- I kinda equate to driving a convertible instead of a sedan from safety standpoint ;-) Haven't had it out on the road and in the heat yet.. lots o' vents though. Seems really well thought out.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...46fe17c82f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...144240841d.jpg

canklecat 07-24-20 04:00 PM

The lighter weight alone might persuade me to buy one. Only gripe I have about the POC is the weight. I got the large -- a little too large for my noggin -- and it weighs about 350 grams. Some days when my old neck injury pain flares up I don't like any weight on my head, but I won't ride without a helmet.


Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21605189)
Really nice helmet btw. Just showed up (3 weeks from Bikeinn order date.. relatively not too bad for them). FYI, Canyon fans, the Airbreaker with Canyon branding added in some of their own color schemes is available on the canyon.com website.. at prices as good as anywhere else. Pretty pricey though.

Loving the weight (or lack thereof).. 120 grams less than my SUV sized Bell Z20 MIPS. No MIPS in this helmet though -- I kinda equate to driving a convertible instead of a sedan from safety standpoint ;-) Haven't had it out on the road and in the heat yet.. lots o' vents though. Seems really well thought out.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...46fe17c82f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...144240841d.jpg


gios 07-24-20 11:28 PM

I saved $8.99 shipping having my gloves delivered to my LBS, so I'm copying some of these down to see if they have them to try on.

Prodigy4299 07-25-20 12:21 AM


Originally Posted by ZHVelo (Post 21575509)
Recently googled this a lot and will probably go for ABUS, they seem to make very good helmets at a decent price.

I am not trying to start a discussion that belongs to P&R, but the family behind ABUS has some very interesting (shall we say) views that they espouse in how they run their business. Something to perhaps consider...

canklecat 07-25-20 02:55 AM


Originally Posted by Prodigy4299 (Post 21605834)
I am not trying to start a discussion that belongs to P&R, but the family behind ABUS has some very interesting (shall we say) views that they espouse in how they run their business. Something to perhaps consider...

Yeah, I see the issue. Wasn't aware of that before.

ZHVelo 07-25-20 06:27 AM


Originally Posted by Prodigy4299 (Post 21605834)
I am not trying to start a discussion that belongs to P&R, but the family behind ABUS has some very interesting (shall we say) views that they espouse in how they run their business. Something to perhaps consider...

They are religious nutcases?

What does that have to do with me or their products?

himespau 07-25-20 08:19 AM

I think it's the fact that they are very misogynistic in their practices.

ZHVelo 07-25-20 09:23 AM


Originally Posted by himespau (Post 21606095)
I think it's the fact that they are very misogynistic in their practices.

Old school Catholics hate women, no surprise there. Only men in the family can inherit the business.

But I still don't see why I should boycott them because of it. I am sure I interact with plenty of terrible people, buy from dubious companies (no one should buy off of Amazon if we go by this logic).

gios 08-16-20 09:23 PM

Does anyone have a Giro Synthe MIPS and a Giro Aether MIPS? If so, are they both a comfortable fit? I have the Synthe MIPS and it's the most comfortable I've ever worn.

aliasfox 08-16-20 10:10 PM


Originally Posted by gios (Post 21645001)
Does anyone have a Giro Synthe MIPS and a Giro Aether MIPS? If so, are they both a comfortable fit? I have the Synthe MIPS and it's the most comfortable I've ever worn.

I tried the Synthe and the Cinder, ended up with the Syntax. I remember that they all fit similarly on my very round/wide head. My budget didnít really stretch to the Synthe, and while the Cinder looked cooler, the reviews I saw suggested that the Syntax actually cooled better. However, not all Giros fit the same - got a Cyprus MIPS late in the fall, but itís far too narrow in the temples for me to ever want to use it, even as a backup.

With regards to vents, more isnít always better. 18 small holes, or 12 bigger ones?

gios 08-16-20 10:38 PM


Originally Posted by aliasfox (Post 21645033)
I tried the Synthe and the Cinder, ended up with the Syntax. I remember that they all fit similarly on my very round/wide head. My budget didnít really stretch to the Synthe, and while the Cinder looked cooler, the reviews I saw suggested that the Syntax actually cooled better. However, not all Giros fit the same - got a Cyprus MIPS late in the fall, but itís far too narrow in the temples for me to ever want to use it, even as a backup.

With regards to vents, more isnít always better. 18 small holes, or 12 bigger ones?

Thanks - I was looking at the Syntax to add to the rotation.

ZiggyC63 08-17-20 06:42 AM

Currently wearing the KASK Utopia and love it

sw20 08-19-20 01:25 AM


Originally Posted by eduskator (Post 21575798)
What price range? I am also changing my entry level helmet (Bell Formula) for an ARO3 or ARO5 from Oakley. Still undecided between the two, but I think I'll go with the ARO3 because of my needs. The Giro Cinder or Synthe is also a good choice, but I am sold to Oakley.

Always try before buying! :)

did you end up getting the AR03? I'm very tempted at the mo, currently got a Giro Foray and in the market for a new helmet. Some really good deals out there for the Oakley but nowhere local to try first!

InvertedMP 08-19-20 07:56 AM

Been using the Kask Protone now for over a month now. Been very happy with it. Not sure it is the most comfortable helmet in the world but then again it seems like comfort in high end road bike helmets is sacrificed for weight savings. Nothing bugs me on long rides but I do feel the helmet styrofoam though the very thin padding. Stays nice and cool even though its a black helmet. I would totally recommend this helmet to anyone looking. I do very much like the Abus look too, I would love to try one on and see. Here is a pic of me in the Protone just in case anyone is thinking about one:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8c2d283b7.jpeg

Prodigy4299 08-28-20 02:04 AM


Originally Posted by gios (Post 21645045)
Thanks - I was looking at the Syntax to add to the rotation.

Have a Syntax and am super happy with it. It has a considerably smaller profile than other Giro helmets I've tried in size L. (Something to consider if you fall on the larger side of the head circumference spectrum, like me.)

indiglow 08-28-20 06:42 AM


Originally Posted by August West (Post 21576065)

I've been seriously considering one of these, but curious if anyone has direct experience as they are pretty much an unknown commodity.
They're 3D printed with info from a scan of your head that can be done via an app on iphone, concept seems really good, but opinions from ppl w/ real world experience would be awesome.
https://i.imgur.com/omI9LKt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GnnPIJO.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.