Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shifting issues and cell phone holder

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shifting issues and cell phone holder

Old 07-08-20, 03:43 PM
  #1  
Nathan_S
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifting issues and cell phone holder

Hey folks,

I got into cycling at the start of the pandemic and have been staying with it. I have a Trek 7.2FX. I put about 400 miles on it during the pandemic and it was lightly used before that. I got it a few years ago.

I had my bike tuned by a bike mechanic at the start of the pandemic. I had her come back and take another look at it as I felt it was missing a lot of shifts. She readjusted it, but I am still finding that whenever I go from '2' to '1' on the front derailer the bike struggles between 2 and 1 and very often wont downshift fully. This happens most often when I am getting into a hill and need to downshift to 1 in order to get up the hill. I am slowing down at that point, but definitely still moving and pedaling.

If I turn 180 degrees and get a bit of speed and pedal a bit going down the hill it will often finish the shift, other times it will still be stuck. If I don't do that, it will very often stay stuck between 2 and 1 and 'clack along'.
I am experiencing some other rough shifting with the bike at other points as well, but this is the biggest problem I am having. It is very frustrating because I'm still newish to biking and need to get into 1 to make things easier when going uphill.

My question is: is this normal behavior? I know my bike isn't a top of the line multi-thousand dollar bike, but am I doing something wrong? Is this what you get from a bike at this price point? The derailers say Shimano on them which I know is a good name. The mechanic told me to stay out of 6, 7, 8 on the rear derailer when in 1 on the front which I have been doing.

I'm guessing some might suggest trying a different bike mechanic, but this one is independant and I've already paid her for the work and the bike shops are swamped here. I was thinking of telling her to take the bike out on the road herself and try the scenario above and run it through its paces and then not to bring it back until its fully dialed in. Is it unreasonable to expect that my bike shift 100% in pretty much all scenarios?

Second question: I've bought two different cell phone holders for my bike from Amazon--turns out they are cheap chinese junk--they have the rubber gasket that has to get wrapped around the phone and it makes annoying to take on and off, which I like to do occasionally on rides for pictures etc and in general they seem like junk and rattle around etc. Can anyone recommend a higher quality holder that is quality and is not as annoying to take the phone in and out?

Thanks!

Nathan
Nathan_S is offline  
Old 07-08-20, 03:59 PM
  #2  
Germanrazor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 262

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Believe it or not but I have found downward pressure from your weight if your FD is in a close tight tolerance will torque the frame ever slightly to cause this sometimes. Maybe a few turns on the barrel adjuster would correct it.
Germanrazor is offline  
Old 07-08-20, 04:12 PM
  #3  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,729

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3398 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 1,821 Posts
I'm assuming "1" is the big ring, and "2" is the small ring? It sounds like you're trying to shift under load - the chain is taut and really doesn't want to come off the big ring teeth. The front derailleur is really just a piece of metal that shoves the chain one way or another and it works best if the chain is not under quite so much tension.

Try shifting before you need to. As you get to the bottom of the hill, still carrying momentum, shift two cogs smaller in the back and then go from the big to the small ring in front, and you should find it feels about the same. BUT, now you're in the small ring and you can just keep shifting to bigger cogs as you slow down - but BEFORE you bog down!

Can't help you on the cell phone holder - mine goes in a ziploc bag in my back pocket.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-08-20, 04:15 PM
  #4  
noOriginalNames
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan_S View Post
Second question: I've bought two different cell phone holders for my bike from Amazon--turns out they are cheap chinese junk--they have the rubber gasket that has to get wrapped around the phone and it makes annoying to take on and off, which I like to do occasionally on rides for pictures etc and in general they seem like junk and rattle around etc. Can anyone recommend a higher quality holder that is quality and is not as annoying to take the phone in and out?
I have no personal experience but Quad Lock seem to get rave reviews for a phone mounting solution, although you need to use their case. It's worth looking into.
noOriginalNames is offline  
Old 07-08-20, 04:18 PM
  #5  
Nathan_S
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on the front derailer, 3 is the biggest, 2 is the middle and 1 is the smallest. I feel like I've tried to conciously shift before I need to and it still seems to have a problem.
Nathan_S is offline  
Old 07-08-20, 04:23 PM
  #6  
Nathan_S
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noOriginalNames View Post
I have no personal experience but Quad Lock seem to get rave reviews for a phone mounting solution, although you need to use their case. It's worth looking into.
Awesome!! They are backordered, but just placed the order. Thank you!
Nathan_S is offline  
Old 07-08-20, 04:24 PM
  #7  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,386

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 410 Posts
It can be hard to get front derailleurs set up correctly even for experienced mechanics. What I have found in the shop is that most assemblers and mechanics tend to position the front derailleur a little to high and a not at the right angle. From a rider's perspective it kind of sucks because if you take it back to the shop ans say it needs an adjustment they may well put it in the stand, look at it and then say there's nothing wrong because it is set up by the book.

In general though you have a good quality bike with I am sure some fundamentally solid Shimano components so it is definitely possible to get it to function correctly if the right mechanic looks at it. Take it to a good one and explain your symptoms and ask that they are fixed/resolved before picking it up. Test ride it before leaving to ensure the problem is fixed. Don't be shocked if they recommend a different front derailleur.

Keep in mind us shops are super overloaded right now.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 07-08-20, 04:40 PM
  #8  
y2zipper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Yeah the best cell phone mount for your bike is the quad lock for sure. It's easy to mount doesn't come off and I never had a problem with one before I used a bike computer.
y2zipper is offline  
Old 07-08-20, 06:20 PM
  #9  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,652

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 359 Posts
Try to "soft pedal" as you shift to the smaller front chainring. This makes the chain less taut, so easier for the derailleur to move it.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 07-08-20, 07:38 PM
  #10  
Nathan_S
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
Try to "soft pedal" as you shift to the smaller front chainring. This makes the chain less taut, so easier for the derailleur to move it.
I'll give it a try tomorrow, but it seems like it should be able to shift if I am just pedaling regularly?
Nathan_S is offline  
Old 07-08-20, 08:14 PM
  #11  
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Posts: 21,652

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan_S View Post
I'll give it a try tomorrow, but it seems like it should be able to shift if I am just pedaling regularly?
"Soft pedaling" means the derailleur spring has less chain tautness to overcome.
It's also possible the front derailleur adjustment needs tweaking, but tough to diagnose here.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Homebrew01 is offline  
Old 07-08-20, 10:12 PM
  #12  
Litespud
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill NC
Posts: 1,400

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S, Nashbar 3sp commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Nathan_S View Post
Hey folks,

I got into cycling at the start of the pandemic and have been staying with it. I have a Trek 7.2FX. I put about 400 miles on it during the pandemic and it was lightly used before that. I got it a few years ago.

I had my bike tuned by a bike mechanic at the start of the pandemic. I had her come back and take another look at it as I felt it was missing a lot of shifts. She readjusted it, but I am still finding that whenever I go from '2' to '1' on the front derailer the bike struggles between 2 and 1 and very often wont downshift fully. This happens most often when I am getting into a hill and need to downshift to 1 in order to get up the hill. I am slowing down at that point, but definitely still moving and pedaling.

If I turn 180 degrees and get a bit of speed and pedal a bit going down the hill it will often finish the shift, other times it will still be stuck. If I don't do that, it will very often stay stuck between 2 and 1 and 'clack along'.
I am experiencing some other rough shifting with the bike at other points as well, but this is the biggest problem I am having. It is very frustrating because I'm still newish to biking and need to get into 1 to make things easier when going uphill.

My question is: is this normal behavior? I know my bike isn't a top of the line multi-thousand dollar bike, but am I doing something wrong? Is this what you get from a bike at this price point? The derailers say Shimano on them which I know is a good name. The mechanic told me to stay out of 6, 7, 8 on the rear derailer when in 1 on the front which I have been doing.

I'm guessing some might suggest trying a different bike mechanic, but this one is independant and I've already paid her for the work and the bike shops are swamped here. I was thinking of telling her to take the bike out on the road herself and try the scenario above and run it through its paces and then not to bring it back until its fully dialed in. Is it unreasonable to expect that my bike shift 100% in pretty much all scenarios?

Second question: I've bought two different cell phone holders for my bike from Amazon--turns out they are cheap chinese junk--they have the rubber gasket that has to get wrapped around the phone and it makes annoying to take on and off, which I like to do occasionally on rides for pictures etc and in general they seem like junk and rattle around etc. Can anyone recommend a higher quality holder that is quality and is not as annoying to take the phone in and out?

Thanks!

Nathan
hesitation shifting to either a small chainring (like you’re experiencing) or small sprocket sounds like the cable hanging up to me. Did your wrench replace or thoroughly lube the derailleur cables? If not, than that’s where I would start. Have her pull and inspect the cable - wipe it down and regrease before reinstalling, or just replace it. Maybe $5 foe a decent cable
Litespud is offline  
Old 07-09-20, 03:10 AM
  #13  
tomtomtom123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Some cables aren't supposed to be lubricated because they already have a coating.

You should learn how to adjust your derailleurs yourself so that you don't have to ask someone else to do it every time something goes out of alignment. There are many YouTube videos explaining how to do it.

Klickfix phonebag duratex plus is the best waterproof phone bag with quick release. It can hold a wallet or keys in the rear pocket. It's for 140mm phones, but since phone companies are making phones more obese, klickfix now makes the plus M version for 160mm phones.
tomtomtom123 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.