Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Armadillo Tires Are A Joke (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1207290-armadillo-tires-joke.html)

5282guy 07-12-20 02:38 PM

Armadillo Tires Are A Joke
 
I have a Specialized road bike and thought I'd put an Armadillo on the back to reduce the number of flats. (I have used them before over the years). The bike has a standard Black Belt tire on the front.
I should add that I only ride on city streets.
One recent week the back tire had 3 flats, and I have had two since then. Always in the back, of course. The back wheel is enough of a pain to deal with, but these tires have tougher beads and are hard to get on and off.
These supposed "tough" tires are anything but.
Today I check the tire after a ride and, sure enough, it was flat. I thought it was a puncture, but about 7" of the tire was off the rim and the tube was blown out. Nice.

A total waste of money.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6052e6e33b.jpg

popeye 07-12-20 03:58 PM

The last time you patched the tube you got part of it under the bead, that's not the tires fault. Partially fill the tube just enough to remove the wrinkles next time when you mount.

5282guy 07-12-20 04:08 PM


Originally Posted by popeye (Post 21583691)
The last time you patched the tube you got part of it under the bead, that's not the tires fault. Partially fill the tube just enough to remove the wrinkles next time when you mount.

I have gotten enough flats to know how to do that. I always partially fill the tube first. Regardless of this incident, I have had more flats from thorns with the Armadillo tire than with regular tires.

Also, the tube was last replaced roughly 200 miles ago. I could be wrong but I think if it were pinched it would have blown out long ago.

Bah Humbug 07-12-20 04:24 PM

Switch to Michelin Power Protection+. Install them correctly.

frogman 07-12-20 05:19 PM

Don't blame the tire. It is obvious it wasn't mounted correctly. Make sure ALL of it is under the bead ! I have done the same thing.

illdrag0n 07-12-20 05:36 PM

Have a look at the Pirelli Cinturato. Great tyre for commuting. Roll fast and damn near puncture proof

5282guy 07-12-20 07:58 PM

Okay, but it would run for 150+ miles mounted wrong?

79pmooney 07-12-20 08:12 PM

OP, have you spun the wheel with the tire partially inflated to make sure the little line on the tire just above the rim doesn't hop or fall in under the rim? (The line; you can see it in your photo ~1/4" above the edge of the tire.) Won't help with the thorns, but it is a very simple tool to avoid a lot of problems.

Ben

DeadGrandpa 07-12-20 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by 5282guy (Post 21583706)
I have gotten enough flats to know how to do that. I always partially fill the tube first. Regardless of this incident, I have had more flats from thorns with the Armadillo tire than with regular tires.

Also, the tube was last replaced roughly 200 miles ago. I could be wrong but I think if it were pinched it would have blown out long ago.

If you have problems with thorns, my reading tells me that tubeless conversion will be effective. Or else you can try tire liners, but they do add weight and don't protect the sidewall.

rivers 07-12-20 11:22 PM


Originally Posted by illdrag0n (Post 21583843)
Have a look at the Pirelli Cinturato. Great tyre for commuting. Roll fast and damn near puncture proof

+1
And they have a decent-ish rolling resistance. And they'll handle a bit of singletrack through the woods as I found out the other day

bruce19 07-13-20 11:58 AM

Tubeless.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.