Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chasing the creak

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Chasing the creak

Old 08-05-20, 08:07 AM
  #1  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Chasing the creak

About a week and a half ago I started to get a creak that is rhythmic in nature. Only happens when pedaling but it can be while spinning or when applying decent pressure.

Mostly while seated but has happened a bit when standing. It originally sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket but some tell me it seems to be from the rear, tough to say given the reverb from the mix of steel and carbon frame.

So far I have re-applied carbon paste to the seat post topper, replaced the BB and chain (bb seemed fine but was due anyway), oiled the crossing of the rear spokes. Checked cleats and pedal mating surfaces, Removed and greased chainring bolts, and applied a bit of grease to the quick release cam. This all seemed to help but after a few rides creak came back. I have removed the cassette and rear hub seems ok but I haven’t popped bearings or replaced since they’re cartridges (industry 9 hubs with about 9k miles). I’ve also checked all welds and crankset for any fractures. I’m told that the sound is similar to what people have had prior to their Shimano cranks cracking (some reported instances but not widespread).

Any thoughts? It’s driving me absolutely batty. Will attempt to post poorly done video below. Sound does not happen when in the stand so obviously requires some pressure on the wheels.

Will report back with video need to upload to YouTube first I guess and can’t find account info!
robbyville is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 08:17 AM
  #2  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Lets see if this works
robbyville is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 08:29 AM
  #3  
u235
Senior Member
 
u235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,168
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 75 Posts
Can't tell from the video.. Bottle cages with or without bottle? I'd say thru or QR axle but you already addressed that and had it off and on again... Does it happen no hands, possible stem/bar related? A strap from a seat bag swinging hitting a rail? Sounds dumb but happened to me before. Is it on power from one crank only? Not sure what that would narrow down but....
u235 is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 08:38 AM
  #4  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Do you have a spare wheelset ready to swap? that will probably eliminate the wheels as a noise source.

Check the headset and spacers.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-05-20, 08:38 AM
  #5  
Reflector Guy
Senior Member
 
Reflector Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Chicago
Posts: 148

Bikes: '17 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by u235 View Post
Sounds dumb but happened to me before.
Those random noises are frustrating but you're a genius when you find them.

I've noticed lately my seat tube or saddle mount squeaks. I bet if I spritz the mount with a little WD40 the squeak will be gone (for awhile).
Reflector Guy is offline  
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-05-20, 08:55 AM
  #6  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by u235 View Post
Can't tell from the video.. Bottle cages with or without bottle? I'd say thru or QR axle but you already addressed that and had it off and on again... Does it happen no hands, possible stem/bar related? A strap from a seat bag swinging hitting a rail? Sounds dumb but happened to me before. Is it on power from one crank only? Not sure what that would narrow down but....
Cages both have a bottle in them. I did check tightness of mount but did not grease the threads, will do that next. I think it happens hands off as well but will try a focused approach. Definitely not my seat bag. Good call on single sided pedaling will try that next.

Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Do you have a spare wheelset ready to swap? that will probably eliminate the wheels as a noise source.

Check the headset and spacers.
I only have one spacer but will definitely check that and the headset although it doesn't seem to be coming from up front, still, who knows... Strangely enough, this is the one time in my last 8 years where I don't have an extra wheelset ready to go but was telling myself yesterday it was time (just sold my last back up). I was thinking of getting some new QR's today just to cross that off the list. The current ones are old and quite cheap.

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy View Post
Those random noises are frustrating but you're a genius when you find them.

I've noticed lately my seat tube or saddle mount squeaks. I bet if I spritz the mount with a little WD40 the squeak will be gone (for awhile).
I haven't checked the saddle rails (carbon) or the mating with seatpost topper also carbon (Enve)
robbyville is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 09:23 AM
  #7  
hayden52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure your cassette is tightened down firmly. I had a very annoying creak that was due to the cassette being to loose.
hayden52 is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 09:24 AM
  #8  
Jack Tone 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Do you have a spare wheelset ready to swap? that will probably eliminate the wheels as a noise source.

Check the headset and spacers.
I had a bad rhythmic "clunk" that I swore was from the BB on a Cannondale. Turned out it was a loose headset.
Jack Tone is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 09:28 AM
  #9  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone View Post
I had a bad rhythmic "clunk" that I swore was from the BB on a Cannondale. Turned out it was a loose headset.
Noises like this on a customer's bike can drive a mechanic insane, and fill his wallet at the same time.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 09:31 AM
  #10  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
When watching the video on my phone the creak is very loud, on my computer hard to hear until about 26 seconds in.

Will definitely check the headset today, it has been 2.5 years since I installed it, jiggle test doesn't find it loose but worth actually checking for sure.

I have ensured sure that the cassette is torqued to proper specs. What are people's thoughts on rear axle and QR. Could the axle spin nicely, not appear loose or overly tight but simply require additional grease after time?
robbyville is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 09:37 AM
  #11  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
What are people's thoughts on rear axle and QR. Could the axle spin nicely, not appear loose or overly tight but simply require additional grease after time?
It's definitely possible, and easy to correct.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 09:45 AM
  #12  
CAT7RDR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hacienda Hgts
Posts: 765

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 258 Posts
Just get out your torque wrench and go through the entire bike with proper torque specs. Found the source of my clicking because my crank arm was not torqued correctly. Also my right brifter was loose; took a full turn to tighten it and relieve my rattles over rough pavement.
CAT7RDR is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 10:30 AM
  #13  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
It's definitely possible, and easy to correct.
I haven't actually worked on hubs with cartridge bearings, any best practices to suggest, along with QR?

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR View Post
Just get out your torque wrench and go through the entire bike with proper torque specs. Found the source of my clicking because my crank arm was not torqued correctly. Also my right brifter was loose; took a full turn to tighten it and relieve my rattles over rough pavement.
Done and done, still driving me crazy
robbyville is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 10:36 AM
  #14  
MoAlpha
ē ó
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 6,235

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4235 Post(s)
Liked 1,545 Times in 853 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
What are people's thoughts on rear axle and QR. Could the axle spin nicely, not appear loose or overly tight but simply require additional grease after time?
One one of my bikes, I get creaking from the interface between the clamp nut on the thru-axle and the rear dropout. A film of grease is all that takes to fix that.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 10:46 AM
  #15  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
I haven't actually worked on hubs with cartridge bearings, any best practices to suggest, along with QR?



Done and done, still driving me crazy
I-9 classic?

I'd contact them directly, and ask if they have a video for their road hubs.

Last edited by noodle soup; 08-05-20 at 11:04 AM.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 11:05 AM
  #16  
DangerousDanR
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 46

Bikes: Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Like everyone else has said, these can be hard to track down.
I had such a noise this past week. I adjusted the front derailleur and it was gone for my short test ride. I will see if it is gone when I go out for a longer ride in a bit.
DangerousDanR is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 11:08 AM
  #17  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I-9 classic?
I believe they are Torch's but looking at pics they could be the Classic. purchased new Sept 2018
robbyville is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 11:10 AM
  #18  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
One one of my bikes, I get creaking from the interface between the clamp nut on the thru-axle and the rear dropout. A film of grease is all that takes to fix that.
I put a little grease on the cam of the QR but nothing where the axle or nuts interface with the drop out. Will try.
robbyville is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 12:00 PM
  #19  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I-9 classic?

I'd contact them directly, and ask if they have a video for their road hubs.
will do. Definitely Torch, I have the torch tool kit and replacement bearing in the cart, but would be a shame to order if not needed. I'm thinking of finding a way to pull of the end caps easily to get access to the bearings and take a look
robbyville is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 12:04 PM
  #20  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,422
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4370 Post(s)
Liked 1,424 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
will do. Definitely Torch, I have the torch tool kit and replacement bearing in the cart, but would be a shame to order if not needed. I'm thinking of finding a way to pull of the end caps easily to get access to the bearings and take a look
should be the same on torch road hubs

noodle soup is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 01:18 PM
  #21  
Ghazmh
Senior Member
 
Ghazmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The banks of the River Charles
Posts: 1,359

Bikes: 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville View Post
About a week and a half ago I started to get a creak that is rhythmic in nature. Only happens when pedaling but it can be while spinning or when applying decent pressure.

Mostly while seated but has happened a bit when standing. It originally sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket but some tell me it seems to be from the rear, tough to say given the reverb from the mix of steel and carbon frame.

So far I have re-applied carbon paste to the seat post topper, replaced the BB and chain (bb seemed fine but was due anyway), oiled the crossing of the rear spokes. Checked cleats and pedal mating surfaces, Removed and greased chainring bolts, and applied a bit of grease to the quick release cam. This all seemed to help but after a few rides creak came back. I have removed the cassette and rear hub seems ok but I havenít popped bearings or replaced since theyíre cartridges (industry 9 hubs with about 9k miles). Iíve also checked all welds and crankset for any fractures. Iím told that the sound is similar to what people have had prior to their Shimano cranks cracking (some reported instances but not widespread).

Any thoughts? Itís driving me absolutely batty. Will attempt to post poorly done video below. Sound does not happen when in the stand so obviously requires some pressure on the wheels.

Will report back with video need to upload to YouTube first I guess and canít find account info!

what crankset are you using? I have the newest Dura Ace on my Ti roadbike and have a similar noise that too drives me crazy. I went through the same troubleshooting you mentioned in the thread and eventually gave up.
Ghazmh is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 01:39 PM
  #22  
swifty
commuter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Check whether your rd hanger is tight. That was the culprit for me when I last had such an issue.
swifty is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 02:19 PM
  #23  
JPChap
Ridin again
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North 'O Boston
Posts: 56

Bikes: Gary Fisher AR Super

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The last time I had a creak/squeak that was a pedaling-only scenario, sounded somewhat similar to what I could make out in the video over the sound of wind, it turned out to be the rear derailleur pulley wheels. Took em out, gave them a good ole cleaning and re-greasing along with the rest of the derailleur and it took care of the issue. Have you tried that?
JPChap is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 02:29 PM
  #24  
eflayer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
same boat as you and it WAS the shoe, cleat, pedal interface

Do you have another pair of cycling shoes you can try? Or simply put on some running shoes and pedal the bike that way for a ways. Get back to me with an answer.
eflayer is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 07:29 PM
  #25  
robbyville
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robbyville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Desert, CA
Posts: 2,249

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh View Post
what crankset are you using? I have the newest Dura Ace on my Ti roadbike and have a similar noise that too drives me crazy. I went through the same troubleshooting you mentioned in the thread and eventually gave up.
it is a Dura Ace 9100 series crank. I had heard that there have been some reports of these and Ultegra cracking here and there with a creak similar to this prior. Iíve inspected and found nothing so far. I certainly canít leave it as is lol

Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Check whether your rd hanger is tight. That was the culprit for me when I last had such an issue.
my bike does not have a replaceable hanger so definitely not that!

Originally Posted by JPChap View Post
The last time I had a creak/squeak that was a pedaling-only scenario, sounded somewhat similar to what I could make out in the video over the sound of wind, it turned out to be the rear derailleur pulley wheels. Took em out, gave them a good ole cleaning and re-greasing along with the rest of the derailleur and it took care of the issue. Have you tried that?
i havenít yet thanks for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by eflayer View Post
Do you have another pair of cycling shoes you can try? Or simply put on some running shoes and pedal the bike that way for a ways. Get back to me with an answer.
I do have another pair and will give that a shot as well thanks for the suggestion.

I put a little film of grease on the mating surfaces of the axle and drop out today will see if that helps. May swing by LBS tomorrow if I have the time and look at some new QRís as well. Have the tools and bearings in the cart with I9. Wheels have close to 10k on them so maybe good to service anyway
robbyville is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.