Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Someone explain to me these handlebar bags that I keep seeing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Someone explain to me these handlebar bags that I keep seeing

Old 09-21-20, 02:52 PM
  #126  
kimconyc
Señor Member
Thread Starter
 
kimconyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,744

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc View Post
maybe they are storing an extra set of casual clothes used for work?
Woosh
kimconyc is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 02:52 PM
  #127  
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,248
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese View Post
That bike would handle much better if that weight were evenly distributed, and without the handlebar bag. Nobody who has done any significant amount of bicycle touring, me included, would suggest setting up your load that way. I'm not sure it's even safe. Can you imagine needing to do a full-on panic stop, especially on a downhill? Weight distribution is everything when it comes to loading a bike.
Give it a try. You may be as surprised as I was.
Cyclist0108 is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 03:00 PM
  #128  
fsurfer
Life member
 
fsurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: New York
Posts: 1

Bikes: Spectrum ti randonneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do an image search for a quick explanation.
If you are seeing the same ad, it's the result of a cookie that was set on your device.
fsurfer is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 03:38 PM
  #129  
dkatz1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
They keep their business suit and shoes in it for work.

To sort of hijack this, I see many casual cyclists on the MUP with with a rear rack and a rather large bag on the back. I wonder how much stuff they have in there. It's too big just for your lunch and water. These people are just riding the path.
I have a rack on the back of my bike (Independent Fabrication). When I commute, I have one or two panniers, depending...I carry a complete change of clothing (thank goodness I DON'T have to wear a suit where I teach...various folders and notebooks and such, and sometimes a lap top computer. The rest of the time, I generally have a rack trunk on the back. This makes me a totally uncool cylist, but I DON'T care. In there: wallet, cell phone, glasses (I wear prescription sunglasses, but I dont' want to go anywhere without my regular glasses just in case), tools a couple of tubes, co2 and a small pump, the removeable sleeves from my cycling jacket, and various other stuff. Makes the bike a little heavier, probably makes me a little slower, but: I DON'T care. I'm already slow. I spend a lot of hours on my bike. It does my body AND sould good and I love it. That's all that really counts.

Last edited by dkatz1; 09-21-20 at 07:07 PM.
dkatz1 is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 04:14 PM
  #130  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,373

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1 View Post
I have a rack on the back of my bike (Independent Fabrication). When I commute, I have one or two panniers, depending...I carry a complete change of clothing (thank goodness I DON'T have to wear a suit where I teach...various folders and notebooks and such, and sometimes a lap top computer. The rest of the time, I generally have a rack trunk on the back. This makes me a totally uncool cylist, but I DON'T care. In there: wallet, cell phone, glasses (I wear prescription sunglasses, but I dont' want to go anywhere without my regular glasses just in case), tools a couple of tubes, co2 and a small pump, the removeable sleeves from my cycling jacket, and various other stuff. Makes the bike a little heavier, probably makes me a little slower, but: I DON'T care. I'm already slow. I spend a lot of hours on my bike. It does my body AND sould good and I love it. That's all that really counts.
It makes you a commuter.

My son used to live on the west side of the Bronx and student teach on the east side... it was 4 miles away. If he took public transportation he would have to walk 3/4 mile to the subway, Take it to Manhattan and change trains to the Bronx and finally a bus for the last mile. He took his beater bike with with saddle bags and is laptop in one of them. It cut the 75 minute commute to 20 minutes.
GlennR is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 05:11 PM
  #131  
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
They keep their business suit and shoes in it for work.

To sort of hijack this, I see many casual cyclists on the MUP with with a rear rack and a rather large bag on the back. I wonder how much stuff they have in there. It's too big just for your lunch and water. These people are just riding the path.
Google search, sadly, failed to find me a hilarious image of someone trying to carry a footlong subway sandwhich in their tiny jersey pocket...
PaulRivers is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 05:14 PM
  #132  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,373

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
Google sadly failed me in my search for someone carrying a footlong subway sandwhich in their tiny jersey pocket...
If I ate a subway foot long on a ride, i'd need a nap... and take a serious dump.
GlennR is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 05:58 PM
  #133  
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
If I ate a subway foot long on a ride, i'd need a nap... and take a serious dump.
Is that like...supposed to be gross enough to shut down discussion or something?
PaulRivers is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 05:59 PM
  #134  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,721

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9901 Post(s)
Liked 4,889 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
Google search, sadly, failed to find me a hilarious image of someone trying to carry a footlong subway sandwhich in their tiny jersey pocket...
Subs go in handlebar bags.

LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 09-21-20, 06:06 PM
  #135  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,373

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
Is that like...supposed to be gross enough to shut down discussion or something?
No... it's just the truth.

If i wanted to be gross, i would of posted a picture to illustrate my point.
GlennR is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 06:20 PM
  #136  
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
No... it's just the truth. If i wanted to be gross, i would of posted a picture to illustrate my point.
I do remember my grandfather always bragging for some reason about lunch consisting of an apple and a snickers. Seemed odd. Guess it's just something that happens when you get old.

I know my lunch wouldn't fit in jersey pocket, even without the water.
PaulRivers is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 06:29 PM
  #137  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,373

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,184 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
I do remember my grandfather always bragging for some reason about lunch consisting of an apple and a snickers. Seemed odd. Guess it's just something that happens when you get old.
Maybe... I usually bring 2 gels, a banana and a granola bar for a 60 mile ride.

But i've gone on group rides where they stop at a deli and have sandwiches with a 1/3lb of meat and a bag of chips. I stopped going with that group since i don't like taking more than a 15 minute break.
GlennR is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 07:10 PM
  #138  
dkatz1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
It makes you a commuter.

My son used to live on the west side of the Bronx and student teach on the east side... it was 4 miles away. If he took public transportation he would have to walk 3/4 mile to the subway, Take it to Manhattan and change trains to the Bronx and finally a bus for the last mile. He took his beater bike with with saddle bags and is laptop in one of them. It cut the 75 minute commute to 20 minutes.
Doesn't really make me a commuter: I do way more miles just for the pure sake of riding then the commuting miles. ESPECIALLy since the last time I worked at my school instead of from home was in March, but still: it's always been the case. Probably a fourth of my miles are commuting...It's a 20 mile round trip. A very easy one. If I take the bus from my house, it takes longer. I can drive, but then I have to pay Boston parking.
dkatz1 is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 07:24 PM
  #139  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,318

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 646 Posts
Welcome to the new unopened box thread.
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 07:40 PM
  #140  
PaulRivers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Maybe... I usually bring 2 gels, a banana and a granola bar for a 60 mile ride. But i've gone on group rides where they stop at a deli and have sandwiches with a 1/3lb of meat and a bag of chips. I stopped going with that group since i don't like taking more than a 15 minute break.
Sounds like you used to ride with a group who's lunch would be about the size you'd fit into a bag like that.

When I was trying to bike commute to work while carrying a change of clothes back and forth a bag of that size was to small. Shoes, pants, shirt...1 of these items wasn't going to fit into the bag. Eventually realized I could leave some of these things at my desk at work but that only worked because no one was uptight about what you walked into the building wearing.

I found over time that I rarely rode my "fast" bike that didn't have a rack because there was always something I needed to bring with me.
- ulock, if I was going to leave my bike outside
- also way more convenient to have everything in one bag (flat repair, jacket, cell, wallet) if I'm going to be leaving my bike locked up and unattended outside for a while don't like puttering around taking 5 different things on and off my bike each time I lock it up
- rain jacket, because I don't like "forecast says 30% chance of rain can't go riding even though it's sunny out!" kind of things...also you can just get wet at 80f but when it's 50f you need a rainjacket
- extra layer - you can bike to work in the morning at 45f and bike home in the early evening at 80f you really need to be warmer for one of those to be comfortable
- shoes when I was riding clipless but was going to walk into someone's house or something like that
- biking around the lakes to the beach? swim trunks, towel

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-21-20 at 08:01 PM.
PaulRivers is offline  
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 09-21-20, 08:46 PM
  #141  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,918
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,205 Posts
Tech running/workout shirts are a whole lot cheaper than cycling jerseys. Get yourself a handlebar bag and you can eliminate the pocketed jerseys. Sure, your jersey might flap, serious cyclists might not wave at you and you might get made fun of in a BF explaining thread. So what, life will go on.
seypat is offline  
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-21-20, 10:48 PM
  #142  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 14,027

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6835 Post(s)
Liked 2,151 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
Tech running/workout shirts are a whole lot cheaper than cycling jerseys. Get yourself a handlebar bag and you can eliminate the pocketed jerseys. Sure, your jersey might flap, serious cyclists might not wave at you and you might get made fun of in a BF explaining thread. So what, life will go on.
I have actually sewed a small pocket into the back of a couple t-shirts--I cut out a rectangle from an old t-shirt and sew it on and it works.. Ugly, but anyone staring at my posterior seeking beauty is way off track already.

. I like having my id and credit card on my person, in case I com off the bike or get off the bike. And tech t-shirts offer pretty much 80 percent of what jerseys do .... and more in cooler weather.

IMO.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 11:20 PM
  #143  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18880 Post(s)
Liked 10,638 Times in 6,049 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
What kinds of "stuff"? Seriously, if you're just riding and not commuting, what do you need to carry other than a spare tube and some tools?


I do 50+ miles rides and this is all i carry.
A jacket. Because sometimes you start in the afternoon and it's night when you get back. Or the weather turns inclement. I mean you can fit a very small one in a jersey pocket, but you can fit an insulated and a gtx one in a bag like that. Maybe rain pants too if you're made of sugar and might melt.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 11:23 PM
  #144  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18880 Post(s)
Liked 10,638 Times in 6,049 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Best way to carry lunch and a rain shell.
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Kind of kills any aero.
​​​​​​How aero do you need to be in the rain, though?
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 09-21-20, 11:51 PM
  #145  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 23,208
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18880 Post(s)
Liked 10,638 Times in 6,049 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge View Post
I'm sure the bag is useful; fanny packs worn with the bag facing the front are pretty useful too.

I use one of these in the winter because my skis don't have bottle cages. But I wear it behind me like a civilized person.
​​​​​​
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-22-20, 01:29 AM
  #146  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,514

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I use one of these in the winter because my skis don't have bottle cages.
​​​​​​
Can someone explain to me why skis don't come with bottle cages?
znomit is offline  
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-22-20, 01:44 AM
  #147  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 4,334

Bikes: Venge, Shiv, Factor LS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 294 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc View Post
Woosh
Oooh, i know this.

"What is the sound of one aero wheel rolling?"
guadzilla is offline  
Old 09-22-20, 06:01 AM
  #148  
uber_Fred
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philadelpia, PA
Posts: 60

Bikes: Fuji touring, old Fuji mountain bike, Currie Peak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
They keep their business suit and shoes in it for work.

To sort of hijack this, I see many casual cyclists on the MUP with with a rear rack and a rather large bag on the back. I wonder how much stuff they have in there. It's too big just for your lunch and water. These people are just riding the path.
That would be me. I keep my roadside repair gear, the case for my sunglasses, and my cell phone in there. When I'm going on a long ride or commuting, I'd carry a lot more stuff too - lunch, shoes, whatever. So when I'm going to be riding with my kids on the MUP, I can take the time to switch to a smaller bag, or I can just go. Like you said, it's just the MUP - it's not like it's a particularly weight-sensitive ride. (Besides, I'm a Clyde. I could spit twice and take a crap, and that would save me more weight than $3000 worth of upgrades to the bike.)
uber_Fred is offline  
Likes For uber_Fred:
Old 09-22-20, 06:13 AM
  #149  
BlackMambaNYC
GO LAKERS
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: NYC
Posts: 20

Bikes: 2020 Supersix EVO 105, 2020 TBT Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
I think they look great and I have one on my wishlist. It won't go on my road bike unless I need the extra storage for an extra long ride but am very excited to put an extra tube, wrench, and some tire levers in it on my commuter bike. Plus I'll be able to throw in a few groceries or a few items bought while shopping.
BlackMambaNYC is offline  
Old 09-22-20, 07:09 AM
  #150  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 1,114 Times in 659 Posts
Trigger warning...



msu2001la is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.