Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXX

Old 10-02-20, 08:07 AM
  #51  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 42,843

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 558 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22408 Post(s)
Liked 8,714 Times in 4,062 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Pretty much. I think my SOP is to start just before the valve, but it's all procedural memory. You're supposed to start after?
News to me. I usually start at the valve and end 180 degrees from it. I think I do that because that's how you do tubes, but for tires I honestly don't know if it matters.

What's the deal?
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:08 AM
  #52  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,038

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10011 Post(s)
Liked 5,706 Times in 3,067 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
News to me. I usually start at the valve and end 180 degrees from it. I think I do that because that's how you do tubes, but for tires I honestly don't know if it matters.

What's the deal?
Yeah, what IS the deal?
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:09 AM
  #53  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,099

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11227 Post(s)
Liked 4,569 Times in 2,654 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Safer? Guy started a thread here about how he cracked a rim with a lever, but I've never used one of those..
The one I posted followed this one. https://kk.org/cooltools/crank-brothers-1/

It uses the same principle of a car tire type machine.
LAJ is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:13 AM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
News to me. I usually start at the valve and end 180 degrees from it. I think I do that because that's how you do tubes, but for tires I honestly don't know if it matters.

What's the deal?
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yeah, what IS the deal?
It can make all the difference in the world with tubeless compatible rims. You end at the valve because the valve takes up space in the bottom of that center well that runs around the rim; you want the tire beads in that well as much as possible for the little extra bit of slack in getting the last bit of bead over the edge of the rim.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:17 AM
  #55  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,158

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It can make all the difference in the world with tubeless compatible rims. You end at the valve because the valve takes up space in the bottom of that center well that runs around the rim; you want the tire beads in that well as much as possible for the little extra bit of slack in getting the last bit of bead over the edge of the rim.
I’ve always ended at the valve, that’s how I was taught by the shop I got my first bike from.
phrantic09 is online now  
Old 10-02-20, 08:25 AM
  #56  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,038

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10011 Post(s)
Liked 5,706 Times in 3,067 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It can make all the difference in the world with tubeless compatible rims. You end at the valve because the valve takes up space in the bottom of that center well that runs around the rim; you want the tire beads in that well as much as possible for the little extra bit of slack in getting the last bit of bead over the edge of the rim.
Makes sense.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:29 AM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I’ve always ended at the valve, that’s how I was taught by the shop I got my first bike from.
How long ago was this, out of curiosity? I think that the old-school way was to start at the valve, and with the rim bed profiles, I don't know if it made much difference one way or the other. With tighter tolerances and tubeless rims becoming ubiquitous in recent years, ending at the valve is a definite advantage, though.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:38 AM
  #58  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 50,686

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28092 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,271 Posts
DougRNS

__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:39 AM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Makes sense.
At this point, the beads on your current tires are probably stretched enough that it wouldn't be fair to use them to assess whether this technique will make life easier on you, but if you like the tires otherwise, I would certainly give them another shot. The first few times that I mounted (tubeless) tires on tubeless rims, it was a wrestling match that left my hands blistered. It's gotten easier every time, though, even when revisiting combinations that were a bear the first time around; that makes me believe that technique is the primary difference. Nothing has been remotely difficult in the last two years or so, not with four wheelsets and a half-dozen makes/models of tire.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:49 AM
  #60  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,038

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10011 Post(s)
Liked 5,706 Times in 3,067 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
At this point, the beads on your current tires are probably stretched enough that it wouldn't be fair to use them to assess whether this technique will make life easier on you, but if you like the tires otherwise, I would certainly give them another shot. The first few times that I mounted (tubeless) tires on tubeless rims, it was a wrestling match that left my hands blistered. It's gotten easier every time, though, even when revisiting combinations that were a bear the first time around; that makes me believe that technique is the primary difference. Nothing has been remotely difficult in the last two years or so, not with four wheelsets and a half-dozen makes/models of tire.
Yeah, it's got to be a matter of paying attention and optimizing many little variables, like most other skills.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:49 AM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,853

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 620 Posts
Very pretty picture. But wet leaves on the ground can be dangerous, because they slip and slide. They will put you on the ground before you can say oh ****!!!!!! Be careful.
rydabent is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:52 AM
  #62  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,158

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
How long ago was this, out of curiosity? I think that the old-school way was to start at the valve, and with the rim bed profiles, I don't know if it made much difference one way or the other. With tighter tolerances and tubeless rims becoming ubiquitous in recent years, ending at the valve is a definite advantage, though.
it was 2013
phrantic09 is online now  
Old 10-02-20, 08:56 AM
  #63  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 50,686

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28092 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Very pretty picture. But wet leaves on the ground can be dangerous, because they slip and slide. They will put you on the ground before you can say oh ****!!!!!! Be careful.
Autumn is dangerous. Leaves, yellow jackets, walnuts, acorns, cold.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:57 AM
  #64  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 42,843

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 558 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22408 Post(s)
Liked 8,714 Times in 4,062 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It can make all the difference in the world with tubeless compatible rims. You end at the valve because the valve takes up space in the bottom of that center well that runs around the rim; you want the tire beads in that well as much as possible for the little extra bit of slack in getting the last bit of bead over the edge of the rim.
Thanks for the clarification. I will try to remember this for when I am forced to use tubeless-compatible rims. Of course by then, I will have forgotten.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 08:58 AM
  #65  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 42,843

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 558 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22408 Post(s)
Liked 8,714 Times in 4,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Did Bah Humbug snap?
Why do you ask? He is still atop the leaderboard for the week. I do have a chance to take it as I am riding on Saturday and Sunday.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 09:00 AM
  #66  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,099

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11227 Post(s)
Liked 4,569 Times in 2,654 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Why do you ask?
I second that. Why do you ask, and why would you ask in that manner?
LAJ is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 09:04 AM
  #67  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 50,686

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28092 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I second that. Why do you ask, and why would you ask in that manner?
A few days ago he made a post implying that he was dealing with issues. To be clear, we all have issues, and deal with them differently. "Snap" may not have been the best word choice.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 09:07 AM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 10,800

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9836 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I had my fitting today, aside from cleat position, shims, saddle position, angle, height and stem height, I had the bike set up pretty well....

It will be interesting to see when ever I get mine done.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 09:09 AM
  #69  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,099

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11227 Post(s)
Liked 4,569 Times in 2,654 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
A few days ago he made a post implying that he was dealing with issues. To be clear, we all have issues, and deal with them differently. "Snap" may not have been the best word choice.
The written word on the internet is forever.
LAJ is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 09:15 AM
  #70  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 24,905
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8073 Post(s)
Liked 8,670 Times in 4,315 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Very pretty picture. But wet leaves on the ground can be dangerous, because they slip and slide. They will put you on the ground before you can say oh ****!!!!!! Be careful.
wut
big john is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 09:30 AM
  #71  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 42,843

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 558 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22408 Post(s)
Liked 8,714 Times in 4,062 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
wut
Commentary on the cover page, I reckon.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 09:39 AM
  #72  
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,428

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I did only half a ride because the sky to the north is dark. And we've got another tropical storm incoming, from that direction this time. I had heavy rain inside my room last time and, as luck would have it, I've since stumbled across that half can of crack sealer I knew was here somewhere. So up to the roof I go, shortly. Who would have thought there would be two in the same season? Not me.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 09:41 AM
  #73  
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,428

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I believe it's raining

Reading the directions, it says it can be used on surfaces wet or dry, but they must be asphalt based. I doubt there is an asphalt based roof within 100 miles of where I sit. Possibly within 200 miles though. It comes highly recommended though, and I've used it successfully before. So, when it stops raining, I will go up and give it a go.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.



Last edited by seedsbelize; 10-02-20 at 10:17 AM.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 09:53 AM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 10,800

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9836 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 2,089 Posts


I may regret this but I don’t think they can be worse than my last tire.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 10-02-20, 10:00 AM
  #75  
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 21,147

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Did Bah Humbug snap?
Originally Posted by datlas
Why do you ask? He is still atop the leaderboard for the week. I do have a chance to take it as I am riding on Saturday and Sunday.
Originally Posted by LAJ
I second that. Why do you ask, and why would you ask in that manner?
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
A few days ago he made a post implying that he was dealing with issues. To be clear, we all have issues, and deal with them differently. "Snap" may not have been the best word choice.
It's pretty accurate. And I feel like crap today, which often goes together with emotional troughs. Don't know if it's a delayed reaction to the flu shot or something else and that sapped all my energy, but right now I can't deal with anything. Tried riding, couldn't warm up, and couldn't wait to get home and curl up on the couch. Sick day.
Bah Humbug is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.