Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXX

Old 12-14-20, 06:46 PM
  #8951  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,356

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,304 Times in 2,266 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Hmmmmm.....Starva..........

That'd be a great name for a weight loss companion app for Strava!

So found an article, strava is no longer allowing bluetooth sensors to connect directly to the app.

New question, I have it connected to the apple health app and I have it set up so that strava will communicate with apple health will apple health transfer the heart rate data to strava?

I think I am just going to pay for cyclemeter.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 06:49 PM
  #8952  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,342

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 5,971 Times in 3,219 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
probably the wealthiest too.
#LookingOutForNumberOne
Probably.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 07:15 PM
  #8953  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,500

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 4,918 Times in 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Probably.
Leesburg was the most eye-opening town I've ever been to. So clean.
LAJ is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 07:22 PM
  #8954  
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 43,291

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,199 Times in 4,260 Posts
I have always used rub-on wax on my XC skis. But some sources suggest klister. Thoughts??
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.

Last edited by datlas; 12-15-20 at 03:50 AM.
datlas is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 07:23 PM
  #8955  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
So found an article, strava is no longer allowing bluetooth sensors to connect directly to the app.

New question, I have it connected to the apple health app and I have it set up so that strava will communicate with apple health will apple health transfer the heart rate data to strava?

I think I am just going to pay for cyclemeter.
That's old news - Strava cut sensors a couple years ago, but reintroduced it in the last month or so. Not sure if it's a paid feature, though.

That said, a dedicated computer would be better.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 07:27 PM
  #8956  
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 18,469

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,388 Times in 6,338 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's old news - Strava cut sensors a couple years ago, but reintroduced it in the last month or so. Not sure if it's a paid feature, though.

That said, a dedicated computer would be better.
Definitely simpler.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 07:28 PM
  #8957  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,356

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,304 Times in 2,266 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's old news - Strava cut sensors a couple years ago, but reintroduced it in the last month or so. Not sure if it's a paid feature, though.

That said, a dedicated computer would be better.

agreed, but that will come later. paid a subscription for cyclemeter, it connected to the hr monitor.

Just got done degreasing and lubing the old c2. Set for tomorrow.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 07:30 PM
  #8958  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,342

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 5,971 Times in 3,219 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Definitely simpler.
And doesn’t drain the phone battery with the GPS.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 07:32 PM
  #8959  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,342

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 5,971 Times in 3,219 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Leesburg was the most eye-opening town I've ever been to. So clean.
Leesburg, VA? I don’t know it, but it’s nothing like where I live. What was eye-opening?
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 07:36 PM
  #8960  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,690

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 1,940 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I have always used hard wax on my XC skis. But some sources suggest klister. Thoughts??
I have nothing to add.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 07:58 PM
  #8961  
Arizona Dessert
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 15,029

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Indeed it is.

That's pretty far out, did you ride out there?

Looks like Eagletail Ranches on the North side of Baseline.
I drove out there for a hike in the Eagletail Mountains Wilderness.

Eagletail Ranches remains undeveloped with just a rustic weathered entry gateway. Not much out there. There are some scatted homes in Harquahala Ranches that range from looking like the occupants are doing their best to get by to have given up altogether..

This is looking north along 547th Ave (behind the fence) about 1/2mi south of Baseline:


.
noisebeam is offline  
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 12-14-20, 08:08 PM
  #8962  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 21,500

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 4,918 Times in 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Leesburg, VA? I don’t know it, but it’s nothing like where I live. What was eye-opening?
I figured you may know it, it being a bedroom community to your town.

It was spotless, there were no potholes, and it had some cool places to visit (obviously).
LAJ is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 08:10 PM
  #8963  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,690

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 1,940 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Looks like Eagletail Ranches on the North side of Baseline.

Was this easier to dig up than looking at a map?
Originally Posted by noisebeam
This is looking north along 547th Ave (behind the fence) about 1/2mi south of Baseline:
wut

There are at least 546 other avenues out in "ranch" country?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 08:17 PM
  #8964  
Arizona Dessert
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 15,029

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Baseline Road follows the principle baseline of AZ as per LoP's map (post: Addiction LXXX )

547th Avenue is the furthest west Phoenix avenue from Central (Downtown)
noisebeam is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 08:27 PM
  #8965  
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 13,802

Bikes: yes please

Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
So, if I ride an hour on the trainer every day. Thats roughly 17 miles per session, I can still get 5000 miles this season, with miles to spare.
Feels like a worthy goal/penance for my transgressions.
ls01 is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 08:43 PM
  #8966  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,690

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 1,940 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
547th Avenue is the furthest west Phoenix avenue from Central (Downtown)
Oh? Where is 502nd Avenue?

I think we have a blatant case of avenue inflation here.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 08:47 PM
  #8967  
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 12,298

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,818 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Oh? Where is 502nd Avenue?

I think we have a blatant case of avenue inflation here.
What an outrage.
DougRNS is offline  
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 12-14-20, 08:48 PM
  #8968  
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 12,298

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,818 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
So, if I ride an hour on the trainer every day. Thats roughly 17 miles per session, I can still get 5000 miles this season, with miles to spare.
Feels like a worthy goal/penance for my transgressions.
yes
DougRNS is offline  
Old 12-14-20, 08:50 PM
  #8969  
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,342

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 5,971 Times in 3,219 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I figured you may know it, it being a bedroom community to your town.

It was spotless, there were no potholes, and it had some cool places to visit (obviously).
I often ride out that way, but don’t cross the river. The MD side is nicer.
MoAlpha is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 08:56 PM
  #8970  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,333

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 7,998 Times in 4,257 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Was this easier to dig up than looking at a map?
Google maps are riddled with misnamed/misplaced neighborhoods, best to double check.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 12-14-20 at 09:03 PM.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 09:03 PM
  #8971  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,333

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 7,998 Times in 4,257 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Oh? Where is 502nd Avenue?

I think we have a blatant case of avenue inflation here.
Avenues are 8 to a mile (except from central to 7th ave, and possibly others), whether there's a road there or not. Many neighborhoods have "extra avenues" (more than 8 avenues per mile) For instance you can have a 22nd Ave, Drive, and Place. On the eastside you can have a 22nd Street, Place, and Way.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 09:59 PM
  #8972  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,690

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 1,940 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Avenues are 8 to a mile (except from central to 7th ave, and possibly others), whether there's a road there or not. Many neighborhoods have "extra avenues" (more than 8 avenues per mile) For instance you can have a 22nd Ave, Drive, and Place. On the eastside you can have a 22nd Street, Place, and Way.
Time for a massive renaming ceremony.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 12-14-20, 10:05 PM
  #8973  
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 4,318

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Liked 2,100 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
wut
I’d also add Revisionist History (if you like Malcolm Gladwell), Hardcore History, Lore, S Town (was really good) and Last Seen
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 12-14-20, 11:00 PM
  #8974  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,606
Liked 9,432 Times in 4,633 Posts
Ride for a slice again tomorrow, best way to avoid the wind. Looks like only 2 of us this time.
big john is online now  
Old 12-15-20, 01:11 AM
  #8975  
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,922
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

I just won my fantasy football league, and I’m thinking about buying a Santa Cruz Highball.

Last edited by noodle soup; 12-15-20 at 01:18 AM.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.