Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXX

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXX

Old 12-27-20, 07:59 PM
  #10951  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,835
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9685 Post(s)
Liked 6,421 Times in 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Ouch. Coulda been worse I suppose.
Yep, and thankfully it wasnít. Worst thing is waiting on repairs.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 07:59 PM
  #10952  
ē ó
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 12,335

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10239 Post(s)
Liked 5,962 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Biggest damage was probably to my pride.
Thatís creative destruction.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 08:00 PM
  #10953  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,569
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8442 Post(s)
Liked 9,396 Times in 4,617 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
BMC bikes are bad ass.
At least a couple friends have Team Machines but the endurance bike Road Machine has the geo I want. The only thing I've seen that is close is the Domane. I look at geometry charts until I get cross eyed.
big john is online now  
Old 12-27-20, 08:01 PM
  #10954  
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 12,835
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9685 Post(s)
Liked 6,421 Times in 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Bummer. But what about the COVIDS?!?

No.
I was in a small group. Long story.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 08:08 PM
  #10955  
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 51,631

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28972 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,363 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
I got new memory foam inserts for my cycling shoes and I had to cut them to size.
I wasn't aware there is such a thing.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 08:13 PM
  #10956  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,248

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13025 Post(s)
Liked 7,950 Times in 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
At least a couple friends have Team Machines but the endurance bike Road Machine has the geo I want. The only thing I've seen that is close is the Domane. I look at geometry charts until I get cross eyed.
In bikes of that type, I'd have to have a Tarmac SL7 in Dusty Pearl Blue, just for the paint:

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 08:38 PM
  #10957  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,569
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8442 Post(s)
Liked 9,396 Times in 4,617 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
In bikes of that type, I'd have to have a Tarmac SL7 in Dusty Pearl Blue, just for the paint:
I could get the Sagan edition for only $13,000. Actually, it's the wrong geometry, a Roubaix would be closer but I'm not a fan of the big S.
big john is online now  
Old 12-27-20, 08:44 PM
  #10958  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,341

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10310 Post(s)
Liked 5,284 Times in 2,259 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
At least a couple friends have Team Machines but the endurance bike Road Machine has the geo I want. The only thing I've seen that is close is the Domane. I look at geometry charts until I get cross eyed.
All that talk about fork recalls about a year ago turned me off from BMC. Seemed like the guys that had to deal with that didnít get treated right IMO.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 08:57 PM
  #10959  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,341

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10310 Post(s)
Liked 5,284 Times in 2,259 Posts
So checked the status of my wheels. Still says Jan 12 but when I track the UPS tracking number all it shows is that a tracking label was created on the 28th of November.

Reached out to the seller just now, and they quickly responded. They show that it was shipped and arrived at our local UPS but UPS is backed up and thatís why the delay on delivery.

Anybody else have something like this happen before?
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:06 PM
  #10960  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
So checked the status of my wheels. Still says Jan 12 but when I track the UPS tracking number all it shows is that a tracking label was created on the 28th of November.

Reached out to the seller just now, and they quickly responded. They show that it was shipped and arrived at our local UPS but UPS is backed up and thatís why the delay on delivery.

Anybody else have something like this happen before?
I don't know that I buy the seller's account of things. How is it that they can see that it's at the local UPS depot but UPS can't?
WhyFi is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:07 PM
  #10961  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Weekend ride report:

Crashed the Domane yesterday and retired after 30 miles. Broke two spokes on the new wheels, and fubared the fork. Bike is at the Trek shop for wheel repair and a new fork. ☹️ Fortunately, Trek has a replacement in the right color.

Today, went to the MUP with the little lady on the Sirruses. She road her first 30 mile ride. 😃
Ouch. That's one way to buy new bike stuff.

Glad to hear that it wasn't worse.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:09 PM
  #10962  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
In bikes of that type, I'd have to have a Tarmac SL7 in Dusty Pearl Blue, just for the paint:

The Tarmac and the Aethos both look interesting. I'd probably go with the Aethos for the stupid light weight.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:12 PM
  #10963  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,341

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10310 Post(s)
Liked 5,284 Times in 2,259 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't know that I buy the seller's account of things. How is it that they can see that it's at the local UPS depot but UPS can't?

Thats my thought process. I think I will call UPS tomorrow and see what they say. The seller has great reviews so I hope itís a glitch. I asked if they needed to build the wheels and that was the problem, but they insisted they were shipped.

Funny they are advertising the wheels back in stock and If I order today I can get them by Dec 31st.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:18 PM
  #10964  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,569
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8442 Post(s)
Liked 9,396 Times in 4,617 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
All that talk about fork recalls about a year ago turned me off from BMC. Seemed like the guys that had to deal with that didnít get treated right IMO.
I don't know about the recall. I probably won't do it anyway, I'm a wuss when it comes to spending money. I agonized over the mtb I bought in 2018 and I was still working then.
I never say "this will be the last bike I ever buy" like some people on the 50+ forum do. When I got the Gunnar in 2006 I called it my old man bike because I thought it would be enough for a long time. Then I got the Seven in 2012, love the quick handling and easier climbing.
big john is online now  
Old 12-27-20, 09:20 PM
  #10965  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,739

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13795 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
about 1938. My mother in the middle, with her sister and brother.
notice My uncle had drop bars taped from the brake down only. And a huge light, looks like a sidewall dynamo. Looks like maybe a sidewall dynamo tail light, ?? A fixie, a single speed or three speed. can't tell.
Your uncle was a hipster, before it was cool.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 12-27-20, 09:22 PM
  #10966  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,739

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13795 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Clearly my aunt knew wider tires have less rolling resistance,
Clearly
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 12-27-20, 09:22 PM
  #10967  
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,520

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Thats my thought process. I think I will call UPS tomorrow and see what they say. The seller has great reviews so I hope itís a glitch. I asked if they needed to build the wheels and that was the problem, but they insisted they were shipped.

Funny they are advertising the wheels back in stock and If I order today I can get them by Dec 31st.
These were bought through Amazon? What do they say? They're usually pretty customer-friendly about getting **** like this straight by either getting a refund or replacement product in hand; if the seller is saying the 31st, they should be taking care of you.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:23 PM
  #10968  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,341

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10310 Post(s)
Liked 5,284 Times in 2,259 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I don't know about the recall. I probably won't do it anyway, I'm a wuss when it comes to spending money. I agonized over the mtb I bought in 2018 and I was still working then.
I never say "this will be the last bike I ever buy" like some people on the 50+ forum do. When I got the Gunnar in 2006 I called it my old man bike because I thought it would be enough for a long time. Then I got the Seven in 2012, love the quick handling and easier climbing.

Not that big of a deal. There was a recall on the team machine I believe not sure which year. Took longer to fix then originally estimated and there wasnít much feed back from BMC at all while owners were waiting. Sounded like ****ty customer service to me, and all I could think about is how pissed I would be if that happened to my only bike.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:24 PM
  #10969  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,739

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13795 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Weekend ride report:

Crashed the Domane yesterday and retired after 30 miles. Broke two spokes on the new wheels, and fubared the fork. Bike is at the Trek shop for wheel repair and a new fork. ☹️ Fortunately, Trek has a replacement in the right color.

Today, went to the MUP with the little lady on the Sirruses. She road her first 30 mile ride. 😃
Cwazy
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:28 PM
  #10970  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,739

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13795 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
As the Ukrainian wrench at my LBS used to say, "You nidd noo bai-eek."

He also said, when I asked for some Cinelli bar tape. "You don't want Cinelli. Ees sheet. Use Deda."
My favorite plain-Jane tape is Serfas synthetic cork. Easy to wrap well, cheap, and durable.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:29 PM
  #10971  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 11,341

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10310 Post(s)
Liked 5,284 Times in 2,259 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
These were bought through Amazon? What do they say? They're usually pretty customer-friendly about getting **** like this straight by either getting a refund or replacement product in hand; if the seller is saying the 31st, they should be taking care of you.

havnt reached out to amazon yet. I really just want to make sure that I am getting the wheels on the 12, and there are not anymore unexpected delays. If UPS says they have no idea what I am talking about iíll see what the seller has to say, if I donít like that answer then Iíll see what amazon has to say.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:32 PM
  #10972  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,739

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13795 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yeah, but as hard as the Fizik is to wrap properly, it's GOTTA be good, right?
I have Fizik 2mm classic on the Langster. The wrapping was easy.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 12-27-20, 09:37 PM
  #10973  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 25,569
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8442 Post(s)
Liked 9,396 Times in 4,617 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Not that big of a deal. There was a recall on the team machine I believe not sure which year. Took longer to fix then originally estimated and there wasnít much feed back from BMC at all while owners were waiting. Sounded like ****ty customer service to me, and all I could think about is how pissed I would be if that happened to my only bike.
Yes that would suck.
big john is online now  
Old 12-27-20, 09:41 PM
  #10974  
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: At Large
Posts: 56,739

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13795 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Tarmac and the Aethos both look interesting. I'd probably go with the Aethos for the stupid light weight.
Ditto. But, i want titanium next time.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 12-28-20, 12:54 AM
  #10975  
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 13,802

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
My short have left Indianapolis! .
My new Chinese hoops should ship Wed or Thurs
My plan is coming together....slowly, but coming together none the less....
ls01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.