Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Negotiation:how much is too much?

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Negotiation:how much is too much?

Old 10-25-20, 08:56 AM
  #51  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne View Post
How much is your time worth? How much time have you spent on this thread?
a few minutes tbh, what about you
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 08:57 AM
  #52  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
But it is 2020.
welp time to get a canyon and be done with this
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:00 AM
  #53  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 899 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
yeah and then they ask themselves why online dealers are winning lmao

It ainít 1980 anymore granddad
I'm telling you a simple fact. Trek doesn't have to discount any of their 2021 models right now, because they are in very short supply. If you don't buy it at full price, someone else will. I have a long list of customers waiting for bikes right now, and all of them are willing to pay full price. Some have actually offered bribes to get moved to the front of the list.

If you came into my shop looking for a discount on a 2021, I'd tell you "get bent", and direct you to the door. We don't have time to waste on punks like you..
noodle soup is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:00 AM
  #54  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I'm telling you a simple fact. Trek doesn't have to discount any of their 2021 models right now, because they are in very short supply. If you don't buy it at full price, someone else will. I have a long list of customers waiting for bikes right now, and all of them are willing to pay full price. Some have actually offered bribes to get moved to the front of the list.

If you came into my shop looking for a discount on a 2021, I'd tell you "get bent", and direct you to the door. We don't have time to waste on punks like you..
Youíd make for a ****ty dealer lmao who would buy from you
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:02 AM
  #55  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 31,523

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14296 Post(s)
Liked 3,387 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
welp time to get a canyon and be done with this
So go for it - I wouldn't recommend that route for someone that's not comfortable with their own maintenance, but you seem to be pretty accomplished and knowledgeable. Have fun!

Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
I have a 2018 Specialized Tarmac Sport. I have some maintenance questions I’ve been longing to ask so here they are:

1. When I first bought the bike I installed some plastic bottle cages. Unfortunately I was a tool and stripped one of the bolts while screwing them in so the bottle cage is not removable. It doesn’t make any sounds or cause any problems and the bottle cage is perfectly fine, but in the future I may want to change them for lighter ones or remove them completely. How would I go about removing the stuck bolt? It just spins and doesn’t extract. Can I do it home simply or should I take it to a mechanic?

2. The bike has a Praxis Alba chain set which has proprietary measurements and a threaded praxis BB (I think M30). It’s a BSA thread. If I wanted to upgrade my cranks to a Shimano Ultegra R8000 one, do I have to change the BB? If so, should a 68mm BSA R8000 bottom bracket work?

3. I replaced the brake cables twice now and the rear brake cable is rubbing against the plastic insert where the cable comes out from the frame. I think it’s resolvable with a sheath cap in the insert, am I thinking right?

4. The Alba chainset that’s on my bike says tighten to 40NM. My torque wrench only goes up to 20. Should I take it to a mechanic to let them tighten it or can I just ride with 20NM?

5. I tighten my brakes (rim) to 7NM because the manufacturer doesn’t provide a recommended torque for brakes and 7NM is recommended for the seatpost clamp so it should be safe. Problem is that the brakes misalign every ride and I lose power because of brake rub. Should I tighten them to 8NM or more or will this damage the carbon?

6. When I take the top cap off the stem I see another bolt that I can tighten and also screw the top cap into. Next to the screw there is a printed message saying “recommended torque 7NM”. I tried tightening it to 7NM but it just keeps tightening with medium resistance. Eventually the bolt bottomed out and it’s just there now. I can undo it to where it was before and it’s not stuck. Did I break something? Why doesn’t it tighten to 7NM?

thanks guys
WhyFi is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:04 AM
  #56  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 899 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
So go for it - I wouldn't recommend that route for someone that's not comfortable with their own maintenance, but you seem to be pretty accomplished and knowledgeable. Have fun!


POTD
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-25-20, 09:06 AM
  #57  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
So go for it - I wouldn't recommend that route for someone that's not comfortable with their own maintenance, but you seem to be pretty accomplished and knowledgeable. Have fun!
pretty comfortable tbh, just need the right tools.
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:07 AM
  #58  
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 18,429

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Cannondale Synapse, Trek 710

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 1,019 Posts
Let's stop with the name calling and keep the discussion civil.
__________________
cb400bill is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:09 AM
  #59  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 899 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
Youíd make for a ****ty dealer lmao who would buy from you
We have a long list of people waiting for new bikes and repairs, and no time to waste on cheapskates.

Stop trolling this forum, go to your Trek dealer, and be prepared to get laughed at.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:13 AM
  #60  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
We have a long list of people waiting for new bikes and repairs, and no time to waste on cheapskates.

Stop trolling this forum, go to your Trek dealer, and be prepared to get laughed at.
Lmao cheapskates

ďyouíre not willing to spend 3000 bucks for a bicycle? What a cheapskate!Ē The normalization of insane prices on bikes has got to you, hasnít it
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:19 AM
  #61  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 899 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
Lmao cheapskates

ďyouíre not willing to spend 3000 bucks for a bicycle? What a cheapskate!Ē The normalization of insane prices on bikes has got to you, hasnít it
It's really all about supply and demand. People are willing to pay more than MSRP right now, so why would any shop give you a price break?
noodle soup is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:20 AM
  #62  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
It's really all about supply and demand. People are willing to pay more than MSRP right now, so why would any shop give you a price break?
I donít know if you live in Italy but I sure do and corona isnít that bad. People donít buy bikes anymore like they did 6 months ago. That bike has been in display since June and if itís still there then Iím gonna go ahead and assume demand for 3000 dollar bikes isnít at a sky high level.
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:22 AM
  #63  
shelbyfv
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 7,460
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
Lmao cheapskates

ďyouíre not willing to spend 3000 bucks for a bicycle? What a cheapskate!Ē The normalization of insane prices on bikes has got to you, hasnít it
You'll be lucky to find a legit brand Ultegra bike for $3000. Shops should be open tomorrow, let us know what the Trek dealer has to say.
shelbyfv is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:23 AM
  #64  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
You'll be lucky to find a legit brand Ultegra bike for $3000. Shops should be open tomorrow, let us know what the Trek dealer has to say.
really? Canyon Ultimate SL8 disc, Giant TCR Advanced 1, Bianchi Aria donít come to mind?
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:31 AM
  #65  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 899 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
I donít know if you live in Italy but I sure do and corona isnít that bad. People donít buy bikes anymore like they did 6 months ago. That bike has been in display since June and if itís still there then Iím gonna go ahead and assume demand for 3000 dollar bikes isnít at a sky high level.
what model Emonda? 2021sl6
noodle soup is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:32 AM
  #66  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
what model Emonda? 2021sl6
yes
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:39 AM
  #67  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 899 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
yes
Don't expect to leave the shop with that bike for 2528euro(roughly $3000).
noodle soup is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:41 AM
  #68  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Don't expect to leave the shop with that bike for 2528euro(roughly $3000).
Itís 3300 MSRP, I was expecting 2900 or something, not 2500. I donít think thatís too much to ask but apparently for most people who responded this is an insult
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:43 AM
  #69  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 7,294

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked 1,301 Times in 681 Posts
Hey, if you don't ask the answer is NO.

But be prepared to be told the price is the price.
GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-25-20, 09:43 AM
  #70  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,105
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
Eh then I guess thereís no reason to support local bike shops, literally everything is better online.
Until the bike needs a pressfit BB replaced. Shops around here due to the huge crush of service jobs stopped taking in bikes from non customers. Online bikes do not always come ready to ride. Someone will need to make the proper adjustments to get it on the road. Those are just a few reasons to support local bike shops.

Last edited by colnago62; 10-25-20 at 09:48 AM.
colnago62 is online now  
Old 10-25-20, 09:50 AM
  #71  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colnago62 View Post
Until the bike needs a pressfit BB replaced. Shops around here due to the huge crush of service jobs stopped taking in bikes from non customers. Online bikes do not always come ready to ride. Someone will need to make the proper adjustments to get it on the road. Those are just a few reasons to support local bike shops.
All my bikes have BSA threaded BBs
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:50 AM
  #72  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 899 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
Itís 3300 MSRP, I was expecting 2900 or something, not 2500. I donít think thatís too much to ask but apparently for most people who responded this is an insult
It's not an insult, it's just not realistic to expect a price break at this time in the US.

Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Hey, if you don't ask the answer is NO.

But be prepared to be told the price is the price.
+1

If the shop is hurting for cash, he might get a good deal, but I wouldn't expect it.

Be sure to bring cash. There's a good chance the shop needs to pay for the use of credit cards.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:50 AM
  #73  
ritzkraft79
Battery acid is delicious
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
It's not an insult, it's just not realistic to expect a price break at this time in the US.

+1

If the shop is hurting for cash, he might get a good deal, but I wouldn't expect it.

Be sure to bring cash. There's a good chance the shop needs to pay for the use of credit cards.
strange how I keep mentions EUROS and you guys keep assuming I live in the US. Crazy
ritzkraft79 is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:57 AM
  #74  
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,046

Bikes: 2019 Scott Addict SE Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
strange how I keep mentions EUROS and you guys keep assuming I live in the US. Crazy
It's also not fair to compare US prices with European. It's not usually a simple conversion as they are separate markets.
​​​
WorldIRC is offline  
Old 10-25-20, 09:58 AM
  #75  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,105
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by ritzkraft79 View Post
All my bikes have BSA threaded BBs
Not if you buy the Emonda
colnago62 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.