Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 01-11-21, 09:12 AM
  #1176  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20789 Post(s)
Liked 9,429 Times in 4,662 Posts
Ahhhh. Just got back from my first chiropractic visit in about a year. It was needed. Still need to go back in a couple days, though.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:15 AM
  #1177  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 9,074

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8231 Post(s)
Liked 3,906 Times in 1,671 Posts
Ive decided that I want winter to be over.

So my bontrager booties that I have worn a total of 6 times, the left one is already broken. It has a velcro stap that goes underneath the sole and half the strap came off in my hand this morning on my left bootie. Are booties only suppose to last one season? My toe things didnt last long either and I am starting to notice a trend that I do not like.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:17 AM
  #1178  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 9,074

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8231 Post(s)
Liked 3,906 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ahhhh. Just got back from my first chiropractic visit in about a year. It was needed. Still need to go back in a couple days, though.

Ive been meaning to do this for a couple of years but it scares me to the point I never go.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:25 AM
  #1179  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 11,567

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9591 Post(s)
Liked 5,370 Times in 2,885 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. Back in 2008 I did Velo Quebe's Le Grande Tour in PQ. PQ often feels very European.The very first day some guys simply stopped by the side of the road turned their back and peed despite there being woods they could have walked into. A small group of women came riding by and cheered them on. I could not bring myself to do it in the open. Now, when I ride in very rural places, I sometimes don't even put the bike down.
Peeing is a big thing between races at regattas. All the boats are milling around in close quarters and many of them have someone hanging off the back with their unit out. It's something female crew have learned to put up, along with using buckets in very close and bouncy quarters on small boats. Some brave women on boats with the right stern configuration will grab the backstay and cantilever off (LSS is adept at this technique, but uses the head during daylight hours). There is a classic repertoire of insults one shouts at the competition when catching them in the act, mainly related to (male) size and women are often among the shouters.

There are stories about coasties and water cops busting people too, but I've never seen that happen.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:31 AM
  #1180  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 4,020

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked 3,282 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Are booties only suppose to last one season? My toe things didn’t last long either and I am starting to notice a trend that I do not like.
I've had my LG booties for 4(?) seasons now, and they still look more or less new.

My 6 year old Performance Bike toe covers are getting a bit ragged, but still functional. They've got a couple more seasons left, I think. I'm quite surprised they've lasted this long, TBH.

I don't ride as much as you, but I wouldn't think the wear you're seeing is typical.
abshipp is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:31 AM
  #1181  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 49,110

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26397 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Peeing is a big thing between races at regattas.
Thanks for sharing?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:32 AM
  #1182  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20789 Post(s)
Liked 9,429 Times in 4,662 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Ive been meaning to do this for a couple of years but it scares me to the point I never go.
I suppose it's kind of like going to a fitter. You hear so many bad stories that you really want to go to one where you have a personal reference. In my case, my wife had gone to her for a year or so without having her neck snapped, so I figured she was an okay practitioner.

I tend to have fairly knotted back and shoulders and my spine occasionally get a little out of whack; going helps with both. I also get a bit of a euphoric feeling afterwards. Kind of like a runner's high, but without the effort.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:33 AM
  #1183  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 49,110

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26397 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Ive decided that I want winter to be over.
So soon?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:34 AM
  #1184  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 11,567

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9591 Post(s)
Liked 5,370 Times in 2,885 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Thanks for sharing?
You're welcome. It's natural, beautiful, man!
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:40 AM
  #1185  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20789 Post(s)
Liked 9,429 Times in 4,662 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Ive decided that I want winter to be over.

So my bontrager booties that I have worn a total of 6 times, the left one is already broken. It has a velcro stap that goes underneath the sole and half the strap came off in my hand this morning on my left bootie. Are booties only suppose to last one season? My toe things didnt last long either and I am starting to notice a trend that I do not like.
I expect them to get beat up, but this is a little extreme. I'd bring them back to the LBS and see if they'll exchange them.

My current booties, Endura something-somethings, are going on their third winter. One of the seams between the neoprene panels is starting to fray, though. I might be able to patch them up enough for next year, but we'll see. I think that, overall, these are my third set of winter booties over 7 years or so. Looking at it in that light, it makes me think that winter boots aren't such a bad value - they'll probably be warmer, will be easier to get on and off, and will probably last a decade or close to it. I'll probably bite the bullet whenever the current booties need to be retired.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:42 AM
  #1186  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 9,074

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8231 Post(s)
Liked 3,906 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I expect them to get beat up, but this is a little extreme. I'd bring them back to the LBS and see if they'll exchange them.

My current booties, Endura something-somethings, are going on their third winter. One of the seams between the neoprene panels is starting to fray, though. I might be able to patch them up enough for next year, but we'll see. I think that, overall, these are my third set of winter booties over 7 years or so. Looking at it in that light, it makes me think that winter boots aren't such a bad value - they'll probably be warmer, will be easier to get on and off, and will probably last a decade or close to it. I'll probably bite the bullet whenever the current booties need to be retired.
Im planning on winter boots next year. Hopefully they will let me exchange them if not Ill figure something out.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 09:49 AM
  #1187  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 11,567

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9591 Post(s)
Liked 5,370 Times in 2,885 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Ive been meaning to do this for a couple of years but it scares me to the point I never go.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I suppose it's kind of like going to a fitter. You hear so many bad stories that you really want to go to one where you have a personal reference. In my case, my wife had gone to her for a year or so without having her neck snapped, so I figured she was an okay practitioner.

I tend to have fairly knotted back and shoulders and my spine occasionally get a little out of whack; going helps with both. I also get a bit of a euphoric feeling afterwards. Kind of like a runner's high, but without the effort.
Some of these guys are good and, lord knows, conventional medicine does precious little for chronic backs, but watch out for the wackos of which there are many. Neurologists clean up the messes that bad chiropractors leave and I have seen a few cases of deadly illness treated by chiropractors for months or years, stringing patients and families along until things went mortally south, one in a teenager with a malignant tumor growing in his spine. There are also neck maneuvers which should be entirely off limits because they can injure arteries which supply the brain and cause strokes and death. Some chiropractors are still in denial about this. I don't think I'd let a chiropractor touch a family member above the shoulders.

Then there's all the made-up, pseudoscientific, nonsense, but that's pretty harmless except to the credit card balance.

Responsible chiropractors refer anything unusual to physicians and don't do dangerous moves.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-11-21, 09:52 AM
  #1188  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20789 Post(s)
Liked 9,429 Times in 4,662 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Neurologists clean up the messes that bad chiropractors leave and I have seen a few cases of deadly illness treated by chiropractors for months or years, stringing patients and families along until things went mortally south, one in a teenager with a malignant tumor growing in his spine.
Completely bonkers.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:01 AM
  #1189  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 41,667

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 556 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21199 Post(s)
Liked 7,687 Times in 3,614 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ahhhh. Just got back from my first chiropractic visit in about a year. It was needed. Still need to go back in a couple days, though.
I see what you did there.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:10 AM
  #1190  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 23,615
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7192 Post(s)
Liked 7,455 Times in 3,765 Posts
There is a chiropractor in my road club but he switched to an e-trike so I rarely see him anymore. He rode a custom cf recumbent for a few years and sometimes a track bike.
He does mostly spinal decompression these days and has helped a number of people in the club. He wants to see an MRI before he treats anyone with problems.
big john is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:11 AM
  #1191  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 49,110

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26397 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Responsible chiropractors refer anything unusual to physicians and don't do dangerous moves.
I don't know much about it, but there's celebrity chiro YouTubers. I looked at a few of their videos where they snap necks, other, into place and my reaction is "pass."
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:15 AM
  #1192  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 12,731

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Im planning on winter boots next year. Hopefully they will let me exchange them if not Ill figure something out.
duct tape
ls01 is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:17 AM
  #1193  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 49,110

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26397 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,081 Posts
rjones28

__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:18 AM
  #1194  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 10,824
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8155 Post(s)
Liked 5,302 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Peeing is a big thing between races at regattas. All the boats are milling around in close quarters and many of them have someone hanging off the back with their unit out. It's something female crew have learned to put up, along with using buckets in very close and bouncy quarters on small boats. Some brave women on boats with the right stern configuration will grab the backstay and cantilever off (LSS is adept at this technique, but uses the head during daylight hours). There is a classic repertoire of insults one shouts at the competition when catching them in the act, mainly related to (male) size and women are often among the shouters.

There are stories about coasties and water cops busting people too, but I've never seen that happen.
I know a couple of guys who have received tickets from the state parks department that patrols our lake. In the days when I would do that off the transom, I always figured I would see them before they could see what I was doing due to the relative difference in size. These days we just all use the head since weight is not an issue.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:18 AM
  #1195  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20789 Post(s)
Liked 9,429 Times in 4,662 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I don't know much about it, but there's celebrity chiro YouTubers.
The ones that always have super-hot women in their thumbnails? Never seen 'em.


WhyFi is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:38 AM
  #1196  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 49,110

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26397 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,081 Posts
Nope.

__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:41 AM
  #1197  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20789 Post(s)
Liked 9,429 Times in 4,662 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I don't know why, but seeing Lake Baikal is on my bucket list. No desire to swim beneath its frozen surface, though.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-11-21, 10:44 AM
  #1198  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 49,110

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26397 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Monday. Calling it now.
Well?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:47 AM
  #1199  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,505

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20789 Post(s)
Liked 9,429 Times in 4,662 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Well?
The days isn't over.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:50 AM
  #1200  
berner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bristol, R. I.
Posts: 4,340

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I ride with a guy from Sweden and can confirm Europeans much less uptight about taking a leak. Just be discreet.
Sailors are pretty loose about peeing and nudity in general. But sailors are known to have loose morals anyway. I did one delivery by sail from the Caribbean to NYC with two women and one other man, all friends before our journey. For a week or more I was mostly nude and the females did not wear much either and we are still fiends. There beautiful was a swimming spot on a mountain on the edge of the Catskills with rock ledges, a small cliff and ice cold water and a deep pool for diving. Way back in the hippy '60 dozens of people would show up and no one wore a stitch of clothes. Wearing clothes is not a law of the universe; it is just what you are used to.
berner is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.