Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Your favorite road tubeless tires (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1225393-your-favorite-road-tubeless-tires.html)

DangerousDanR 03-09-21 02:02 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21957903)
The original Pro One TLE seemed to have a reputation for being fast and supple, but also for being a little fragile, which is why I avoided them. The pricing on them is pretty fantastic right now, though, and you might do okay if even one of out 4 meets a premature end.

In general, though, it's getting harder to find sale prices on good TL tires - discounts are neither as deep nor as common as they were pre-covid.

Sadly for me it was 3 out of four that failed with under 500 miles on them due to what looked to be glass cuts. With one I saw the glass on the road but couldn't do anything about it. I do put a lot of the blame for this on the inability of university students to put beer bottles in the bin, but I have had a better experience with the Conti's.

I generally buy tires 4 at a time for my road bikes, and right now I have found a couple of web vendors who have them for around $50 with shipping included for 4 tires.

WhyFi 03-09-21 02:06 PM


Originally Posted by scottfsmith (Post 21959365)
Specialized S-Works Turbo Rapidair 30mm
Just bringing these up since nobody else has. These are the only road tubeless I have run but I am very impressed with their suppleness, speed, and cornering. They are so easy to mount for me that I can do it with my tiny 6" hand pump.

Their main disadvantages seem to be that they are part of a large bike company and not a tire company so they get no respect, and they have the stupidest naming system which just tacks words on to previous models. These ones are their newer top of the line tubeless tires, "Rapidair" is the keyword for that I think.

If I'm being honest, I've been interested in some of the Spec tires in the past, but they're so tight with their pricing and I'm a cheap-ass that's always lookin' for a deal. :p

ericcox 03-09-21 02:07 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21959360)
I've been wanting to try out the Vittoria Corsa/Corsa Control (Excel has had twin packs at a decent price for oh, about a year, now), but I'd heard not so great things about wet grip and mounting difficulty, so they'd slid down the list. Maybe I'll still pick some up before too long.

My non-tubeless Rubino Pros (the Graphene 2.0) I had were pretty difficult to mount - I got one on without tools, the other took a bit of profanity/levers. Not sure how this would translate to Corsas... I have always liked Vittorias so they were on my list to try next. "Ease of mounting" may be a requirement, however, which would probably be a knock against them.

AUPedla 03-09-21 02:12 PM

I'm running 28mm Pirelli P Zero Race TLRs on Zipp Firecrests and rate them. Getting them on was no harder than other tyres and the beads popped straight away. Took a little while to seal properly but that was the valves rather than the tyres. Good cornering grip and nice supple ride over the rough stuff.

I'm on the lookout for a tan wall 28mm that suits hookless rims.

WhyFi 03-09-21 02:13 PM


Originally Posted by DangerousDanR (Post 21959512)
Sadly for me it was 3 out of four that failed with under 500 miles on them due to what looked to be glass cuts. With one I saw the glass on the road but couldn't do anything about it. I do put a lot of the blame for this on the inability of university students to put beer bottles in the bin, but I have had a better experience with the Conti's.

I generally buy tires 4 at a time for my road bikes, and right now I have found a couple of web vendors who have them for around $50 with shipping included for 4 tires.

Ouch. Yeah, that's the kind of feedback that kept me away from them - they seem like a race-day-only tire. Based on the articles from when the Pro One Evo/Addix was released, the new One is essentially the old Pro One, so that may be one to avoid, too.

Side note: Schwalbe could have done a better job with their naming with the generational shift :rolleyes:

WhyFi 03-09-21 02:19 PM


Originally Posted by AUPedla (Post 21959522)
I'm running 28mm Pirelli P Zero Race TLRs on Zipp Firecrests and rate them. Getting them on was no harder than other tyres and the beads popped straight away. Took a little while to seal properly but that was the valves rather than the tyres. Good cornering grip and nice supple ride over the rough stuff.

I take it that this is on the new 303 Firecrest?


Originally Posted by AUPedla (Post 21959522)
I'm on the lookout for a tan wall 28mm that suits hookless rims.

I've been on the lookout for the same thing and was hopeful that the Goodyear Eagle F1 TLRs would be the ticket, but they've gotten kind of beat up by the reviews - rolling resistance seems to be off the mark vs the competition.

AUPedla 03-09-21 02:25 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21959533)
I take it that this is on the new 303 Firecrest?

Yup on a Roadmachine, you can see why I need tan wall :)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f93f617851.jpg

ericcox 03-09-21 02:31 PM


Originally Posted by AUPedla (Post 21959547)
Yup on a Roadmachine, you can see why I need tan wall :)

Counterpoint - while the stealth look may be going out, that bike is simply gorgeous.

Eric F 03-09-21 03:05 PM

What are the best options for 25mm tan wall TL tires? I'm coming up empty in my searches.

masi61 03-09-21 03:15 PM

NoWhammies - thanks for your review of the Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR, 25mm. I was thinking about ordering these. Recently I placed an order with Veloflex but ordered the regular "open tubular" Corsa to be used with Vittoria latex tubes.

One tire that I have seen that I wondered if anyone has used is the Tufo Comtura 3TR tubeless ready tires. I had a good experience with some inexpensive tubed Tufo clincher tire (less than $25 each) that I got great mileage out of for an entire season. It might be worth a try since no one is talking about Tufo's tubeless offerings. I have seen a few USA sellers that seem to keep a decent inventory of these types of pro level tires that are not common USA brands where they sell them by the pair with free shipping for a fair price.
Update: after a quick bit of internet searching, I see that the TUFO Comtura is now on version 5TR.

phrantic09 03-09-21 03:19 PM


Originally Posted by AUPedla (Post 21959522)
I'm on the lookout for a tan wall 28mm that suits hookless rims.

If you find a tan wall 28mm tubeless in any flavor not named Goodyear, LMK

WhyFi 03-09-21 03:43 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 21959610)
What are the best options for 25mm tan wall TL tires? I'm coming up empty in my searches.


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21959626)
If you find a tan wall 28mm tubeless in any flavor not named Goodyear, LMK

There aren't many out there. Schwalbe has the Pro One TT in both 25mm and 28mm, but I'd be concerned about running them as a daily tire. Also, I seem to recall seeing complaints of sealant seeping/staining the sidewalls.

Eric F 03-09-21 03:46 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21959666)
There aren't many out there. Schwalbe has the Pro One TT in both 25mm and 28mm, but I'd be concerned about running them as a daily tire. Also, I seem to recall seeing complaints of sealant seeping/staining the sidewalls.

Good info. Thanks. Since I only have one road bike (the horror!), a bit of durability is a consideration. I guess I'll stick with the GP5Ks I have until they need replacement (they're pretty new), and evaluate again at that time.

DaveSSS 03-09-21 05:20 PM

I'm running michelin tubeless 28mm on two bikes. They've been great so far. I set my air pressure by the recommendations of the zipp pressure calculator. When running pressures in the sixties, an accurate gauge is important. I replaced the gauge on my pump with a new liquid filled winters 0-100 psi model. My old gauge was reading 8 psi higher than actual.
,
I notice some people are putting a lot more pressure in the rear tire. The zipp calculator recommends 62 front and 64 rear for me.

AUPedla 03-09-21 05:27 PM


Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 21959811)
I'm running michelin tubeless 28mm on two bikes. They've been great so far. I set my air pressure by the recommendations of the zipp pressure calculator. When running pressures in the sixties, an accurate gauge is important. I replaced the gauge on my pump with a new liquid filled winters 0-100 psi model. My old gauge was reading 8 psi higher than actual.
,
I notice some people are putting a lot more pressure in the rear tire. The zipp calculator recommends 62 front and 64 rear for me.

Agreed, 62 rear and 58 front for me, which surprises some purists who say 100PSI for everything :)

I use the gauge on the pump to get to the correct approximate pressure, then trim it with a digital tyre pressure gauge.

noodle soup 03-09-21 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21959626)
If you find a tan wall 28mm tubeless in any flavor not named Goodyear, LMK

they are out of stock, but I'd look for these.

https://www.bike24.com/p2402266.html?menu=1000,4,22,35

scottfsmith 03-09-21 05:42 PM


Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 21959811)
I'm running michelin tubeless 28mm on two bikes. They've been great so far. I set my air pressure by the recommendations of the zipp pressure calculator. When running pressures in the sixties, an accurate gauge is important. I replaced the gauge on my pump with a new liquid filled winters 0-100 psi model. My old gauge was reading 8 psi higher than actual.
,
I notice some people are putting a lot more pressure in the rear tire. The zipp calculator recommends 62 front and 64 rear for me.

Only 8 psi off? I found my "trusty" pump was tricking me by 15psi all these years. I am also now trimming with a digital gauge.

I don't understand that Zipp calculator on the front vs rear, if you look at the deformation you need more difference to equalize them. The calculator at psicalculator.com puts less in the front and more in the back relative to Zipp, and I am doing more of that recently as well.

DaveSSS 03-09-21 06:19 PM

Digital gauges can be just as inaccurate as an analog gauge. I got three new analog gauges connected to a common manifold to agree within 2psi, which made me confident in all three. A plus or minus 1.5 psi accuracy winters gauge is about $20 on Amazon. A plus or minus 1 psi gauge with a certificate of accuracy is about $130 at McMaster-Carr. The winters gauges are good enough for me.

AUPedla 03-09-21 06:29 PM


Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 21959897)
Digital gauges can be just as inaccurate as an analog gauge. I got three new analog gauges connected to a common manifold to agree within 2psi, which made me confident in all three. A plus or minus 1.5 psi accuracy winters gauge is about $20 on Amazon. A plus or minus 1 psi gauge with a certificate of accuracy is about $130 at McMaster-Carr. The winters gauges are good enough for me.

Agreed, the trick is to use the one gauge all the time, the pressure is then always relative to the same gauge. You also get used to what works for you +/- a few PSI. I use my digital gauge for 29x2.6 MTB tyres at 24PSI, all the way up to old school 700x23 at 100PSI.

Psimet2001 03-10-21 08:52 AM


Originally Posted by AUPedla (Post 21959911)
Agreed, the trick is to use the one gauge all the time, the pressure is then always relative to the same gauge. You also get used to what works for you +/- a few PSI. I use my digital gauge for 29x2.6 MTB tyres at 24PSI, all the way up to old school 700x23 at 100PSI.

This is always the answer. The number of threads not only on this forum but on Zwift forums, etc. about differences in power numbers, pressures, etc... is staggering. It could all go away if everyone took a small bit of time out of their day and took a quick lesson on how gauges and sensors actually work.

...not to mention people that put a pump on and off a tube to check pressure is a great example of the observation effect - changing a value simply through observing it.

NoWhammies 03-10-21 09:08 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21959626)
If you find a tan wall 28mm tubeless in any flavor not named Goodyear, LMK

VeloFlex has tan walls in 28: https://www.veloflex.it/en/tubeless-ready


Originally Posted by masi61 (Post 21959621)
NoWhammies - thanks for your review of the Veloflex Corsa EVO TLR, 25mm. I was thinking about ordering these. Recently I placed an order with Veloflex but ordered the regular "open tubular" Corsa to be used with Vittoria latex tubes.

A quick Google search brought up the review I mentioned in my comment/review about the tyres: https://road.cc/content/review/velof...lr-tyre-276555

Just to reiterate the tyres are good and I do recommend them. Chances are I'll end up purchasing another set in 28mm. Fingers crossed the mounting problems have been sovled.

Princess_Allez 03-10-21 04:50 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21959666)
There aren't many out there. Schwalbe has the Pro One TT in both 25mm and 28mm, but I'd be concerned about running them as a daily tire. Also, I seem to recall seeing complaints of sealant seeping/staining the sidewalls.

Is this also a thing on the regular Pro One Addix? On my ride last weekend, I thought I heard sealant spraying from my rear tire, but I didn't feel any loss in pressure. I continued my ride and didn't notice anything wrong with my rear. After I got home, I discovered dried up sealant on the seat tube, but there was no puncture or slash in the tire. I wiped the tire down, in search of the puncture, but there's nothing to be seen. Is it possible that the sealant sprayed from the sidewall under flex? Man, there is just no winning with any bicycle tire. I have the 28mm version mounted to Aeolus Pro 37 wheels (using Bontrager rim strips). I have my rear pumped up to 70psi and weigh 165lbs.

WhyFi 03-10-21 05:13 PM


Originally Posted by Princess_Allez (Post 21961420)
Is this also a thing on the regular Pro One Addix? On my ride last weekend, I thought I heard sealant spraying from my rear tire, but I didn't feel any loss in pressure. I continued my ride and didn't notice anything wrong with my rear. After I got home, I discovered dried up sealant on the seat tube, but there was no puncture or slash in the tire. I wiped the tire down, in search of the puncture, but there's nothing to be seen. Is it possible that the sealant sprayed from the sidewall under flex? Man, there is just no winning with any bicycle tire. I have the 28mm version mounted to Aeolus Pro 37 wheels (using Bontrager rim strips). I have my rear pumped up to 70psi and weigh 165lbs.

I'm not talking about spraying - just staining from coating/sealing the sidewall and some minor beading from seepage coming through.

But no, I haven't experienced any kind of seepage with the POA. In your case, I would guess that you're just not seeing the puncture site, which wouldn't be that unusual. I've had a number of rides where I didn't see or hear anything, but found tell-tale spray on the frame. Heck, if you want a demonstration of how effective your sealant has been, possibly without you knowing it, at the end of your tire's life span, peel the skin off of the inside of the carcass and try to re-mount it. I've done that and have been surprised at the number of hissing punctures.

Princess_Allez 03-11-21 02:38 PM

I've experienced the staining issue on the previous model. You're probably right. There must be some pinhole-sized puncture where it sprayed from... the glory of using road tubeless :lol:

robbyville 03-14-21 09:57 AM

Taken me a while to get some time to report on this post. So much of what I would have wanted to say has already been said so I'll just list a few for me along with time last used since some may have been a few years back. All tires were between 24-26mm I still haven't gotten on the 28mm train.

Bontrager R3 TLR in 25mm. These were my first tubeless tires, started using them when introduced maybe later 2013 or 2014? They were easy to mount and rolled really well. I actually used them for quite a while, interchanging them with others that were new to market. For some reason I don't seem to get as much life out of my tires than most of you. These would last an average of 1600 miles which I was happy about. Sadly, and like someone else mentioned, the big bike companies may not get enough props for their tires, probably because they're so persinicki with pricing. I don't know if they're still making these in this size but they were a great all around tire at time

Specialized Turbo S TLR in 26mm. I think that was the model. Got them about a year and a half ago I believe. Easy to mount, very supple, I really liked the ride on these. The rear tire lasted about 1300 miles before squaring off a fair bit when I removed them for use as back ups. I actually just mounted them to my vintage bike (modern wheels tubeless though). I have noticed after remounting that I lose air faster than usual. I think though I may have gotten bored and pulled a Whyfi peeling back dried sealant.

Hutchison Fusion 4 I think. Tried these but much older model, probably around 2014, hated them. Heavy, even for the time, rolled like bricks. One of the first times I've been able to say that I could actually feel a tangible difference in ride qualities. They were also incredibly hard to mount. Sadly my experience turned me off of Hutchison and I've not tried any of their tires since.

Vittoria Corsa Super G in 25mm. Bought these probably a year and a half ago, I saw all the weight info, mixed reviews, etc. and wanted to give them a shot. They were a good price and the moment I received them I knew that they wouldn't last. Insanely light, amazing ride, really, really loved them except of course the durability. To be fair, durability was listed as a definitive "con" for these tires and I still went ahead and got them for every day use. They started giving me grief with slashes and such within 600 miles and shortly retired. I would not hesitate to recommend but buyer beware you'll go through them quickly if you have rough roads. They were quite easy to put on and seat with my cannister pump.

Schwalbe Pro One in both initial and recent formats. Easiest tire by far to mount, but both sets required a trip to the LBS to use their compressor to get seated vs. my pump. I liked price, quality, ride characteristics. each set lasted me around 1300 miles before squaring off on rear or wearing down to uncomfortable levels. I do tend to change tires earlier than I need to though. These are still on my best recommend and I will buy them again in current variations I'm sure as my LBS gets them

Continental GP5k, I received some of the first sets in the US and also have a newer one installed on the SV right now. I keep getting sucked into these beasts, probably because I'm one of the few people in the Desert regularly riding Tubeless so my favorite LBS keeps bringing them in. Thankfully I've gotten a few of my ride friends onto them now lol. Easily the hardest most frustrating tire I've ever had the fortune of installing but heck at least they seat instantly! I really like the comfort and ride quality, they last the longest of all my tires as well. My first set would throw cords off all the time, I was cutting, burning, etc. was really annoying. LBS offered to replace but I was able to use them until they wore out so I didn't bother. Definitely a love/hate relationship erring on the love side but I do want to try some new tires soon.

Looking forward to trying some of the tires mentioned on this thread!

WhyFi 03-17-21 06:41 AM

So, I've already complained about Schwalbe's handling of their naming, and the confusion that has come with it... I think they're at it again? But I'm not sure... Regardless, there is a Pro One flavor that has trickled out there with "transparent" sidewalls and "Super Race" nomenclature, something that I haven't seen before. Some sellers are denoting "2021" as opposed to the "2020" that we've been seeing on the Pro One Evo Addix, but info from Schwalbe is frustratingly absent, so I'm not sure on the difference, if any, between these and the POEA that some of us have already ridden and discussed. Ugh.

Here's Schwalbe's chart, note both the color and "Super Race" under the Performance column - https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/pro-one

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bb049ad409.jpg


And here's a pic that I found online with the corresponding Schwalbe part number for the 28mm - the color looks better than the aggressive/cheap/gaudy yellow/orange of some of their recent "tan" sidewall tires.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6e467bd809.jpg

I've already got too many tires on-hand, so someone else that's been looking for tan sidewalls needs to track down a pair and report back. *ahem* phrantic09 AUPedla Eric F :D

phrantic09 03-17-21 07:12 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21971402)
So, I've already complained about Schwalbe's handling of their naming, and the confusion that has come with it... I think they're at it again? But I'm not sure... Regardless, there is a Pro One flavor that has trickled out there with "transparent" sidewalls and "Super Race" nomenclature, something that I haven't seen before. Some sellers are denoting "2021" as opposed to the "2020" that we've been seeing on the Pro One Evo Addix, but info from Schwalbe is frustratingly absent, so I'm not sure on the difference, if any, between these and the POEA that some of us have already ridden and discussed. Ugh.

Here's Schwalbe's chart, note both the color and "Super Race" under the Performance column - https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/pro-one

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bb049ad409.jpg


And here's a pic that I found online with the corresponding Schwalbe part number for the 28mm - the color looks better than the aggressive/cheap/gaudy yellow/orange of some of their recent "tan" sidewall tires.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6e467bd809.jpg

I've already got too many tires on-hand, so someone else that's been looking for tan sidewalls needs to track down a pair and report back. *ahem* phrantic09 AUPedla Eric F :D

I've decided tan walls may not look good on an orange bike

WhyFi 03-17-21 08:05 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21971441)
I've decided tan walls may not look good on an orange bike

Booo! Hissss! Who else is going to be our guinea pig volunteer?

Ogsarg 03-17-21 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21971402)
So, I've already complained about Schwalbe's handling of their naming, and the confusion that has come with it... I think they're at it again? But I'm not sure... Regardless, there is a Pro One flavor that has trickled out there with "transparent" sidewalls and "Super Race" nomenclature, something that I haven't seen before. Some sellers are denoting "2021" as opposed to the "2020" that we've been seeing on the Pro One Evo Addix, but info from Schwalbe is frustratingly absent, so I'm not sure on the difference, if any, between these and the POEA that some of us have already ridden and discussed. Ugh.

Here's Schwalbe's chart, note both the color and "Super Race" under the Performance column - https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t..._tires/pro-one

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bb049ad409.jpg


And here's a pic that I found online with the corresponding Schwalbe part number for the 28mm - the color looks better than the aggressive/cheap/gaudy yellow/orange of some of their recent "tan" sidewall tires.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6e467bd809.jpg

I've already got too many tires on-hand, so someone else that's been looking for tan sidewalls needs to track down a pair and report back. *ahem* phrantic09 AUPedla Eric F :D

The picture of the tire tread pattern and packaging look identical to what I purchased as a Pro one Evo. I certainly agree about the confusion in regards to product names. you get various names on the Schwalbe page and then different names or no names when you look at a retailer. Hard to know what you're buying.

In any case, I got mine from Chain Reaction last November and at that time there was no tan wall option that I recall. I would have ordered them if there was.

I do like the tires pretty well but these are my first tubeless tires so nothing to compare to.

phrantic09 03-17-21 08:34 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21971507)
Booo! Hissss! Who else is going to be our guinea pig volunteer?

I'll consider it. Tan walls may look okay
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ef9f2a578c.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.