Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Your favorite road tubeless tires (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1225393-your-favorite-road-tubeless-tires.html)

PeteHski 05-30-22 01:32 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22524998)
I would guess that it's the rims - the Pirelli (well, the P-Zero Race TLR, at least) should have the same bead specs as the Conti S-TR. All of the tires of the same spec, that I've tried, have mounted mounted with only a floor pump.

Also, *knock on wood* my P-Zeros probably have ~1800 miles or so on them and they've been trouble-free. This is through the worst part of the year, as far as debris is concerned, too.

Yeah I agree totally about the rims. My DT Swiss rims are the latest and greatest, clearly designed around wider tubeless tyres. My other Giant rims are much narrower (17 vs 22 mm internal) and older design. I noticed Giant have updated these rims in the last year and made them wider.

NoWhammies 05-30-22 09:06 PM

I have not had good luck with the Schwalbe tyres. I've tried many flavours of them, and none of the tyres have a long life expectancy. So far my longest life tyre has been the Giant Gavia AC0. Thank you DrIsotope wherever you are. After that, the Veloflex Tubeless tyres have been my go-to. That said, I am giving the Michelin tubeless tyre a try right now just to mix it up a little.

PeteHski 05-31-22 04:04 PM


Originally Posted by NoWhammies (Post 22525493)
I have not had good luck with the Schwalbe tyres. I've tried many flavours of them, and none of the tyres have a long life expectancy. So far my longest life tyre has been the Giant Gavia AC0. Thank you DrIsotope wherever you are. After that, the Veloflex Tubeless tyres have been my go-to. That said, I am giving the Michelin tubeless tyre a try right now just to mix it up a little.

My Giant Defy came with Gavia tyres and I have to say they were pretty durable. I ran them for a whole season without any punctures or cuts. But I found the ride a bit harsh compared to others. Although to be fair they were 28 mm vs 30 and 32 mm on my other tyres.

robbyville 06-10-22 06:23 PM

WhyFi cant seem to find those Michelin’s you mentioned and think I need to order something to have at the ready, current tires are starting to square off.

What’s your pref (or anyone else’s) between the Pirelli P Zero Race SL or the Schwalbe Pro One Addix? I was thinking of trying 28mm but Pirelli would be 26mm

ive done the old Pro One’s circa a few years ago but not the Addix variety

WhyFi 06-11-22 07:46 AM


Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 22537600)
WhyFi cant seem to find those Michelin’s you mentioned and think I need to order something to have at the ready, current tires are starting to square off.

What’s your pref (or anyone else’s) between the Pirelli P Zero Race SL or the Schwalbe Pro One Addix? I was thinking of trying 28mm but Pirelli would be 26mm

ive done the old Pro One’s circa a few years ago but not the Addix variety

Can't really go wrong - both are worth trying. If there's a significant price difference, I'd go with the less expensive. If they're close, I'd go Schwalbe if I wanted the more supple and Pirelli if I wanted the more grippy.... that's my impression of them, at least, though I did have the Michelin in between the two.

primov8 06-12-22 06:10 PM

robbyville , I just broke 4K miles on the Helix and the Addix 30c are just about ready to be swapped out. I set them up tubeless from day 1 and they've held up quite well. I never flatted and as a long time user of Schwalbe tires, these didn't disappoint. My only takeaway is for the last 800+ miles or so, I've had to air them up more than a couple times than I was used to. But considering what I've gotten out of them, I'm still going with another pair but downsizing to a 28c or maybe even a 25c.

robbyville 06-12-22 08:31 PM


Originally Posted by primov8 (Post 22539293)
robbyville , I just broke 4K miles on the Helix and the Addix 30c are just about ready to be swapped out. I set them up tubeless from day 1 and they've held up quite well. I never flatted and as a long time user of Schwalbe tires, these didn't disappoint. My only takeaway is for the last 800+ miles or so, I've had to air them up more than a couple times than I was used to. But considering what I've gotten out of them, I'm still going with another pair but downsizing to a 28c or maybe even a 25c.

Thanks Primov and great to hear from you! I think I’ll pick up a pair. I was thinking of finally trying some 28’s but think I’ll stick with the 25’s as that all that seems to be available. Hope all is well with you!

robbyville 06-13-22 02:46 PM

Well to follow up, by the time I was done with shipping and what was "actually" in stock I decided to go with a pair of the Specialized Turbo Rapidaire's to try. Seem widely well liked, top 10 in rolling resistance (off by one watt or so over best race tire), and reviews well from a puncture resistance stand point. Hope to get them in the next week or so.

We shall see!

Overdraft 06-13-22 10:53 PM

well I can tell you my least favourite tubeless tires…. Pirelli P Zero Race TLR…
to be fair, this is a sample of 1. I got these to replace my tube setup but they only retain about 40psi after 24 hours.
i sort of expected that tubeless would either work, or not work. instead these things pump up to whatever you want… 60, 80, whatever… no hiss no fuss… next day? down to 45. a week later? still 45. I don’t get it.

WhyFi 06-14-22 06:12 AM


Originally Posted by Overdraft (Post 22540686)
well I can tell you my least favourite tubeless tires…. Pirelli P Zero Race TLR…
to be fair, this is a sample of 1. I got these to replace my tube setup but they only retain about 40psi after 24 hours.
i sort of expected that tubeless would either work, or not work. instead these things pump up to whatever you want… 60, 80, whatever… no hiss no fuss… next day? down to 45. a week later? still 45. I don’t get it.

It's almost certainly not the tires. If they've been on the wheels long enough for the sealant to go to work on any small leaks, I would suspect either the tape job or the valve/stem.

DaveSSS 06-14-22 06:21 AM

The Pirelli tires are not the problem. Mine work great with orange seal endurance. Very little air loss.

WhyFi 06-14-22 06:47 AM


Originally Posted by DaveSSS (Post 22540835)
The Pirelli tires are not the problem. Mine work great with orange seal endurance. Very little air loss.

Yeah, I'm currently running them, too, and my rear tire, which is approaching 3k miles (:bday:), still only gets aired up once every three rides or so.

Rdmonster69 06-14-22 09:17 AM

I love the GP5Ks I put on my Domane. Great ride and seem pretty fast. Now that I know the technique I can get them mounted with very little fuss. The front I put on recently required no tools and no lube on the bead. I had to use a touch of soapy water on the rear bead and upped my hand strength to silverback gorilla levels. Still no tools.

NoWhammies 07-15-22 11:51 AM

Well after just over 9,000km on my front Veloflex tubeless tyre, I had to put two plugs in it on the weekend. The tyre, with plugs, will air and I rode another ~200km with the plugs in the tyre. But I was feeling skitterish about having plugs in a 9,000km tyre and decided to replace the tyre with the Michelin Power Road TLR.

Upon taking off the Veloflex, there is still treads showing on parts of the tyre. And no cords coming through. Make me wonder if I couldn't have continued to ride on the tyre, were it not for my fear of the tyre failing. But really the tyre showed no signs of potential failure.

So now I have Michelin's on the front and back. Comments based on my first ride with a matching set of boots? Nice. Bike rolls well and the tyres seem to hold air better/longer than the Veloflex. These might become my new tyre of choice, although I have some Veloflex tyres in stock at home here I need to work through first.

smashndash 07-18-22 01:30 AM


Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 22540190)
Well to follow up, by the time I was done with shipping and what was "actually" in stock I decided to go with a pair of the Specialized Turbo Rapidaire's to try. Seem widely well liked, top 10 in rolling resistance (off by one watt or so over best race tire), and reviews well from a puncture resistance stand point. Hope to get them in the next week or so.

We shall see!

I've used a 28 rapidair for a bit. Super easy install, but it drank a lot of sealant initially. Now it holds air great, I haven't had any punctures (jinxed it), the compound is super sticky, and it feels really fast.
My only complaints are that it's a bit stiff and the tread isn't wide enough for wide rims at low pressures if you're really tipping it over. But that seems to be par for the course for modern tires that are more concerned with drum RR than real-world riding.

What are your thoughts so far?

Hwnryd31 07-19-22 07:30 PM

I used the Bontrager hard case lite 25mm on my aluminum wheels for about 1k miles and no issues thus far, it's my backup setup. I've got cf wheels with schwalbe pro one addix 25mm and after about a month I had to plug the rear one. Two weeks later another cut that would not seal so I got replacement one in 28mm hoping more rubber would help. It didn't, after 2 weeks I got a cut that would not seal and plugged it just to get another one after 2 more rides. That was it with schwalbe pro ones for me. Now I got pirelli race tlr 28mm but not enough time on them to judge yet. All I can say the schwabe pro ones felt better riding but if these pirellis are more puncture resistant I'd have to settle.

Sardines 07-21-22 04:09 AM

I'll be boring and say Pro One TLE or GP5000 S TR 30f/32r on the road bike and Pro One TLE 34c for the commuter.

redlude97 07-21-22 04:11 PM

I just set up some american classic 30mm and they were a breeze, inflated and seated without sealant to start. They have a coating to prevent seeping through the sidewalls and come in tan(brown) versions. Only have a few rides on them but they feel grippy and fast compared to the vittoria rubino pros I had on prior.

WhyFi 07-22-22 04:45 PM

I've been eagerly anticipating this - next gen Vittoria Corsa tubeless that are up to ETRTO spec and hookless compatible (28mm - 34mm sizes) -

https://bikerumor.com/review-vittori...n-performance/

I still have a new Pirelli waiting on a shelf, to be mounted on my rear wheel whenever the first finally gives up the ghost, so I probably won't get to these Corsa until next year, but I'm looking forward to it (assuming that I can find them at a decent price).

Overdraft 08-01-22 07:53 PM


Originally Posted by Overdraft (Post 22540686)
well I can tell you my least favourite tubeless tires…. Pirelli P Zero Race TLR…
to be fair, this is a sample of 1. I got these to replace my tube setup but they only retain about 40psi after 24 hours.
i sort of expected that tubeless would either work, or not work. instead these things pump up to whatever you want… 60, 80, whatever… no hiss no fuss… next day? down to 45. a week later? still 45. I don’t get it.

ok, to be fair to the tires I’ll update my post! I gave up troubleshooting them and exported to problem to the LBS. Cause was of course not the tire but a wheel imperfection which they resolved by adding extra layers of tape to fair it in. No issues since then.

I definitely roll faster than anyone else in my riding group who are all on clinchers. Maybe because I’m fatter than they are? I choose to think it’s the tires! One of the other guys also has a Madone with Ultegra and he’s going tubeless shortly so if he’s rockin’ a different brand I’ll let y’all know if I’m still out rolling everyone!

Also, I just got my first tubeless puncture!
Performed as advertised for all those still in the tubeless denial camp. Went Pssst like a grade school kid passing note, spat out sealant for about an eighth of a revolution and that was it! Started the ride with just over 80psi and was still 80 when I got home!

biglmbass 08-01-22 09:27 PM

Overdraft What brand of sealant are you using?

Overdraft 08-01-22 10:47 PM


Originally Posted by biglmbass (Post 22595474)
Overdraft What brand of sealant are you using?

e*thirteen tire plasma

Sardines 08-02-22 01:16 PM

Yes. When I mount my tubeless, I do a dunk test to see if air is leaking from the seat and also from the spoke joints and valves. I've found imperfect valves and valve cores also contribute to slow leaks.
One thing users may not be aware of is that some specialty wheels have max pressures for different tire sizes. My Hunt 50s have a max pressure of 70psi with 30-32mm tires. When I put the 34mm on, it's recommended max pressure is 50psi.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.