Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest opinions

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest opinions

Old 03-11-21, 06:41 PM
  #1  
Hapsmo911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Hapsmo911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
2021 Zipp 303 Firecrest opinions

Anyone running these on the road? I want to put them on my SL7 for climbing/ all arounders for more windy days. They are hookless and look like max tire pressure in the 70's. When not on the SL7 I was going to use them on my gravel bike. Any thoughts?
Hapsmo911 is offline  
Old 03-11-21, 07:24 PM
  #2  
AUPedla
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
I've only used them on the road but I rate them, they are my first set of carbon wheels though. I describe it a bit like moving from alloy to carbon MTB bars, it takes out the small bump/vibration/harmonics and makes the ride nice and supple. That could also be the lower tyre pressures too. I'm running Pirelli P Zero race tyres @ 62 rear 58 front, don't read that if you're in the 100PSI brigade. To date I haven't been knocked around by the wind and I have ridden in some windy conditions. The freewheel sounds like a hive of angry bees, so if you're not into that then best find another set of wheels. I also noticed they roll downhill faster but don't keep their momentum like the heavier DT swiss alloy wheels I had fitted previously.

AUPedla is offline  
Likes For AUPedla:
Old 03-11-21, 07:56 PM
  #3  
Atlas Shrugged
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 174 Posts
For almost 1\3 of the price you can pick up a pair of Light Bicycle Wheels which have an excellent reputation plus you can pick the hubs of your choice. The big savings are because you are bypassing multiple layers of markups, marketing costs and inventory costs.
Atlas Shrugged is offline  
Old 03-11-21, 10:49 PM
  #4  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 225 Posts
I havenít owned Zipps in awhile, so maybe things are better, but their hubs were not the best.
colnago62 is offline  
Old 03-11-21, 11:05 PM
  #5  
Hapsmo911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Hapsmo911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
For almost 1\3 of the price you can pick up a pair of Light Bicycle Wheels which have an excellent reputation plus you can pick the hubs of your choice. The big savings are because you are bypassing multiple layers of markups, marketing costs and inventory costs.

I had a look at their website. I built a set up with 240 hubs and they were priced around 1300.00? They do seem to have decent ratings and maybe with a different hub and some cheaper spokes they would price better. 🤔 but for 600 the Zipp warranty is the deal breaker.
Hapsmo911 is offline  
Likes For Hapsmo911:
Old 03-11-21, 11:09 PM
  #6  
Hapsmo911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Hapsmo911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62 View Post
I havenít owned Zipps in awhile, so maybe things are better, but their hubs were not the best.

This is what I heard as well. They do have a new hub they claim of course, is better. I would just get another set of Enve's but the wait is 6 months. Ive never owned Zipps. With the price reduction and their new warranty I think I am willing to gove them a try? Hunt is tempting but they have literally no wheels in stock and the dates keep getting pushed back. My LBS has the Zipps in stock and are holding a set for me to pickup this weekend.
Hapsmo911 is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 02:33 AM
  #7  
AUPedla
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapsmo911 View Post
I would just get another set of Enve's but the wait is 6 months. Ive never owned Zipps. With the price reduction and their new warranty I think I am willing to gove them a try?
I also looked at the Enve's but I didn't see the benefits for the Enve price premium and my LBS had the Zipp's in stock.
AUPedla is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 09:29 AM
  #8  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,707

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 344 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16798 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,853 Posts
I don't have the Firecrest. but I do have the little brother 303S - I really, really like them.

I, too, looked at LB, but the pricing wasn't *that* advantageous, the lead time was way worse (I'm an impatient child when it comes to toys) and the warranty was no comparison.

The only niggles that I've got, and I don't know that they'll apply to the Firecrest: no drain holes for the inner chamber (I've been caught in downpours twice in the last year, and I've had to remove the tires, sealant and valve stem to drain the water that worked its way in) and one of my favorite tires, the Pro One Evo Addix, don't stay beadlocked when deflated, which can make sealant maintenance a bit of a pain (I ended up getting Milkit valve stems to work around this).

If you're a) wedded to tubeless, but b) NOT wedded to GP5K TLs, the new hookless Zipps are pretty awesome.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 11:24 AM
  #9  
Hapsmo911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Hapsmo911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I don't have the Firecrest. but I do have the little brother 303S - I really, really like them.

I, too, looked at LB, but the pricing wasn't *that* advantageous, the lead time was way worse (I'm an impatient child when it comes to toys) and the warranty was no comparison.

The only niggles that I've got, and I don't know that they'll apply to the Firecrest: no drain holes for the inner chamber (I've been caught in downpours twice in the last year, and I've had to remove the tires, sealant and valve stem to drain the water that worked its way in) and one of my favorite tires, the Pro One Evo Addix, don't stay beadlocked when deflated, which can make sealant maintenance a bit of a pain (I ended up getting Milkit valve stems to work around this).

If you're a) wedded to tubeless, but b) NOT wedded to GP5K TLs, the new hookless Zipps are pretty awesome.
Interesting about the water. I dont mind the hookless and the GP5000. They are my preferred tires but I expect them to become hookless compatible as rims go wider internally, and mainstream wheel manufacturers continue the trend if hookless. Nonetheless, Ill be running panaracers in the dirt and most likely schwalbe or Vittoria's on the road until that happens ..
Hapsmo911 is offline  
Old 03-12-21, 05:56 PM
  #10  
Hapsmo911
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Hapsmo911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AUPedla View Post
I've only used them on the road but I rate them, they are my first set of carbon wheels though. I describe it a bit like moving from alloy to carbon MTB bars, it takes out the small bump/vibration/harmonics and makes the ride nice and supple. That could also be the lower tyre pressures too. I'm running Pirelli P Zero race tyres @ 62 rear 58 front, don't read that if you're in the 100PSI brigade. To date I haven't been knocked around by the wind and I have ridden in some windy conditions. The freewheel sounds like a hive of angry bees, so if you're not into that then best find another set of wheels. I also noticed they roll downhill faster but don't keep their momentum like the heavier DT swiss alloy wheels I had fitted previously.

Awesome! I placed an order from speed vision bikes in West Virginia. $2250 with DT 240 rear and a 180 front. They look nice on your bike. Cant wait to try them with the 28's. Zipp says 70psi at my weight. Should be like my grandmas Cadillac
Hapsmo911 is offline  
Likes For Hapsmo911:
Old 03-14-21, 09:38 AM
  #11  
colnago62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,416
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 225 Posts
I feel like Zipp 303ís are the perfect height if you are going to have only one set of carbon wheels.
colnago62 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.