Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Old 04-25-21, 08:11 AM
  #2226  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 16,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,160 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post

Now I'm mad because I realize I'm a wuss. Thanks.
Glad I could help.
big john is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 08:18 AM
  #2227  
phrantic09
Fat n slow
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,707

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Depends on the nature of the contest. You could be taking a knife to a gunfight.


Try to keep up to the current decade.

Oh? Don't take my word for it, we'll ask the group. Collectively we have thousands of miles ridden here this year, in sundry parts of America.

Raise your hands if any of your rides this year resembled this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHdkK5j4yk
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Lol. Moving goalposts and a poor grasp of core statistical concepts ftw. I do like how you're arguing with the only regular to live and ride in NYC, in this millennia, about the specialness of NYC, though - 41ier goodness.

If you're so fond of Terry's vids, go watch some from other cities - they're great.
All I see in that video is someone riding like an *******
phrantic09 is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 08:44 AM
  #2228  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,252

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16447 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,697 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
The only other NYC rider I know of is UnfilteredDregs and he totally fell off the radar screen a few years ago. I hope he is ok. Any idea??
Good guy, but I think that he's probably been gone twice as long as he was here. We actually have an IRL common friend, though - small world city.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 04-25-21, 08:46 AM
  #2229  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,252

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16447 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,697 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09 View Post
All I see in that video is someone riding like an *******
Yeah, that guy's a ******. He has much better videos and riders. This young lady in Mexico is one of my favorites -

WhyFi is online now  
Old 04-25-21, 08:52 AM
  #2230  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 41,107

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 724 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18234 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 568 Posts
People here don't get it.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 04-25-21, 08:54 AM
  #2231  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,252

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16447 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,697 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
We're safe and sound in GVL.


Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Unfortunately I royally ****ed up and the apartment we signed up for is a total POS. Like, unbelievably bad.

I try to assume the best in people but right now I'm really
​​​​​
Now I have to find a new place to live and I'll probably have to fight to get some money back.


We went though a similar thing when we moved back to MN, but we were really between a rock and a hard place because we had a pitbull and we could only find two apartment buildings in the city that would take us in (it was some kind of insurance thing). We had to stick it out for about 6 months - it sucked, but it got our foot in the door, back to the city, and it was soon forgotten afterwards.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 04-25-21, 09:03 AM
  #2232  
Jack Tone 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I didn't want to do any of the rides the clubs were doing so I went solo. I wanted to do one of the hard rides I used to do before I became such a wuss. I chose a loop over the mountains into another valley and around the other end of the ridge and back for about 80 miles and 7500 feet. The climb up to 5400 feet wasn't bad, roads were very quiet and wind was at my back. I met another rider and I told him where I was going. He warned me "you gonna be a Popsicle on the downhill".

It was cold on the descent but not freezing but the wind was awful. It was blowing me around and the noise from my vest rattling was deafening. At the bottom it wasn't as bad but it was headwind for the rest of the ride, at least 30 miles. The last few hills were rough.
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
your definition of wuss and mine are different. I hope I can do what your doing when I'm your age. Hell, before my health issues I wasn't doing what you are doing.

Now I'm mad because I realize I'm a wuss. Thanks.
and me, too! A good ride for me is 30 miles with about 500 ft. climbing. Last ride had a strong headwind all the way back. I was toast for days.
Jack Tone is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 09:07 AM
  #2233  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 41,107

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 724 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18234 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
I try to assume the best in people but right now I'm really
Oh boy.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 04-25-21, 09:15 AM
  #2234  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,252

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16447 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,697 Posts
Because what kind of heathen doesn't like a homemade chocolate cake garnished with raspberries?



Edit: grrr - jpg was giving me some weird banding

Last edited by WhyFi; 04-25-21 at 09:23 AM.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 04-25-21, 09:16 AM
  #2235  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 3,217

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 786 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post






We went though a similar thing when we moved back to MN, but we were really between a rock and a hard place because we had a pitbull and we could only find two apartment buildings in the city that would take us in (it was some kind of insurance thing). We had to stick it out for about 6 months - it sucked, but it got our foot in the door, back to the city, and it was soon forgotten afterwards.
There's no way we're staying there.

The blinds for a sliding glass door that faces the parking lot on the ground level don't even close so we'd have no privacy at all.

Plus they "resealed" a bathtub and the air is still quite noxious.

I know we'll figure it out and we have a lot of support from family but man what a ****** way to start things off.
abshipp is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 09:21 AM
  #2236  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 41,107

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 724 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18234 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Because what kind of heathen doesn't like a homemade chocolate cake garnished with raspberries?
<raises hand>
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 04-25-21, 09:28 AM
  #2237  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,252

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16447 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,697 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
There's no way we're staying there.

The blinds for a sliding glass door that faces the parking lot on the ground level don't even close so we'd have no privacy at all.

Plus they "resealed" a bathtub and the air is still quite noxious.

I know we'll figure it out and we have a lot of support from family but man what a ****** way to start things off.
That sucks. IANAL but I'd take the time to document the stuff that's wrong so that you have a better chance of getting any deposit and prorated rent back.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 04-25-21, 09:28 AM
  #2238  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 34,252

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 343 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16447 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,697 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
<raises hand>
You forgot to bold "heathen."

WhyFi is online now  
Old 04-25-21, 09:38 AM
  #2239  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 16,414
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone View Post
and me, too! A good ride for me is 30 miles with about 500 ft. climbing. Last ride had a strong headwind all the way back. I was toast for days.
I used to do long rides with a lot of climbing every Saturday. The last few years I was working I had to back off. Too much suffering and getting dropped and I stopped enjoying them.
I've been retired for 2 years and I've done the occasional hard ride but I wanted to try one of the real tough ones that I used to love. I also wanted to do it solo so I wouldn't have to try and keep up with anyone and could go easy or stop whenever I wanted. One of my friends insists that I could train back into shape to chase the century riders through the hills every week.
I don't know if I can but mainly I don't know if I want to. I know guys older than I am who do that stuff but I don't know if I can be one of them. First, I have no discipline with diet or training or anything. Also, I'm 200 pounds and dragging that up every hill is harder than those 150 pound guys (or 110 pound women) have it.
Yesterday I did ok, no cramps or nausea or terrible suffering but the last couple hours I was wondering if I want to do it again. Getting into sucky car traffic after hours of quiet didn't help. I'll be 67 this week and maybe I can be happy doing 4 to 6 hour rides.
big john is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 09:45 AM
  #2240  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 3,217

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 786 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
That sucks. IANAL but I'd take the time to document the stuff that's wrong so that you have a better chance of getting any deposit and prorated rent back.
Oh there's pictures and video. We didn't move anything in and I don't even have the keys. Didn't fill out the incoming inspection report either. I also sent them an email with pics and descriptions of the worst offences a little after we arrived.

Fingers crossed the staff are decent human beings who just put too much trust in the "maintenance" crew who did the work and didn't feel like they had to check their work.

Or maybe were ****ed 🙃
abshipp is offline  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-25-21, 09:48 AM
  #2241  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 3,217

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 710 650b, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked 1,937 Times in 786 Posts
But on the bright side, Trsnrtr will have beautiful weather for his jaunt on the Swamp Rabbit Trail
abshipp is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 09:49 AM
  #2242  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,233

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6314 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,556 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I just picked up some DA dual pivots for the Schwinn. I don't know how I got by with single pivot 105s BITD.
My rim brake bike has 7800. The brakes are fantastic. However, the bike is now relegated to the trainer.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 09:52 AM
  #2243  
Jack Tone 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I used to do long rides with a lot of climbing every Saturday. The last few years I was working I had to back off. Too much suffering and getting dropped and I stopped enjoying them.
I've been retired for 2 years and I've done the occasional hard ride but I wanted to try one of the real tough ones that I used to love. I also wanted to do it solo so I wouldn't have to try and keep up with anyone and could go easy or stop whenever I wanted. One of my friends insists that I could train back into shape to chase the century riders through the hills every week.
I don't know if I can but mainly I don't know if I want to. I know guys older than I am who do that stuff but I don't know if I can be one of them. First, I have no discipline with diet or training or anything. Also, I'm 200 pounds and dragging that up every hill is harder than those 150 pound guys (or 110 pound women) have it.
Yesterday I did ok, no cramps or nausea or terrible suffering but the last couple hours I was wondering if I want to do it again. Getting into sucky car traffic after hours of quiet didn't help. I'll be 67 this week and maybe I can be happy doing 4 to 6 hour rides.
Happy Birthday! I'll make it to 70 in two weeks.
Jack Tone is offline  
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 04-25-21, 10:15 AM
  #2244  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,217

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2492 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
I have never found a better rim brake than single pivot 105. I've not yet tried DA, but I can't imagine how they could be better.
I have them on my main rider.
The very first road bike I bought when I started riding again back in the 90s, the Cannondale, had the first generation dual pivot brakes, and until I got the Circuit, every other bike also had dual pivots. The brakes on the Circuit work, but they take more force to stop and they're more finicky about set up - which is probably more my lack of skill as a wrench than the brakes themselves, but the dual pivots are dead simple to set up.

The brakes on Mrs. Peel are driving me batty. Second generation Dura Ace from 1980. I finally have them centered correctly, but the fronts just don't grab. I've sanded the pads at least 3 times now, adjusted the pad alignment with the rim, got rid of the excessive toe-in on one pad, but they still suck. I'm hoping that the new Kool-Stop shoes and pads cure the problem because if not this bike will be relegated to flat rides.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."
genejockey is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 10:49 AM
  #2245  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,233

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6314 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,556 Posts
Opinions: Toss rear GP5000 with > 8000 mi and barely visible wear dimples, or ride it for another few weeks until the dimples are good and gone?
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 10:58 AM
  #2246  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,217

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2492 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Opinions: Toss rear GP5000 with > 8000 mi and barely visible wear dimples, or ride it for another few weeks until the dimples are good and gone?
The latter.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."
genejockey is offline  
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-25-21, 11:14 AM
  #2247  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,135

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6917 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Because what kind of heathen doesn't like a homemade chocolate cake garnished with raspberries?



Edit: grrr - jpg was giving me some weird banding
In the last few years I've become allergic to wheat. What kind of heathen is allergic to wheat? I love chocolate cake, but pay the price with even a small sliver. Sad!
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Don't you have to actually ride your bike to be considered an "addict"?





seedsbelize is online now  
Old 04-25-21, 11:20 AM
  #2248  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 15,135

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6917 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 556 Posts
Good ride. I am thrilled to be back among the adficts.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Don't you have to actually ride your bike to be considered an "addict"?





seedsbelize is online now  
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 04-25-21, 11:31 AM
  #2249  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,653

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7083 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,306 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
I have never found a better rim brake than single pivot 105. I've not yet tried DA, but I can't imagine how they could be better.
I have them on my main rider.
5500s on the Lemond brake a lot better than 1050s for me. Best 105 setup is 5500 front, 1050 rear, since the 5500s are pretty porky.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 11:38 AM
  #2250  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,653

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7083 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,306 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
We're safe and sound in GVL.

Unfortunately I royally ****ed up and the apartment we signed up for is a total POS. Like, unbelievably bad.

I try to assume the best in people but right now I'm really
​​​​​
Now I have to find a new place to live and I'll probably have to fight to get some money back.
Ugh, what a pain in the ass.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.